• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

Intel Inside

Qv36jUZ.jpg

The Acer all-in-one (AIO), due to be announced next week, will pack an Intel 3GHz Core i5 4430 "Haswell" processor and run Android. The Acer AIO will come with only 1GB of memory and storage configurations will be as small as 8GB.

Is there really enough android apps that would work on a big screen, that don't just look like blown up phone apps?

Only the AT&T and Verizon S4 bootloaders are locked from my researching. So maybe the TMO and other variants can flash it without much hassle

EDIT - Said unlocked instead of locked whoops

Can confirm sprint is not.

Flash Chainfire's autoroot in the PDA tab of odin. Install goomanagerand give it root access, then choose install OpenRecovery. Done and done.

Pctx

Banned
<joe biden talk> This is a big F'n deal!</joe biden talk>

Snip:
intel-badge-android.jpg

Chip giant Intel could be about to enter the Android tablet world in a big way, if reports from Korean newspaper the Korea Times and news agency Reuters are to be believed. The publications suggest that Samsung will opt for the latest x86-based Clover Trail+ chip in its upcoming Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 instead of more common ARM-based designs, including its own Exynos range.

Link: http://www.androidcentral.com/upcoming-10-inch-galaxy-tab-reportedly-powered-intel-atom-cpu?utm_source=feedly

Pctx

Banned
Can't wait for the Nexus 4 thread to have people who buy the white version, love it, drop it, screen cracks they hate the Nexus 4.

VPhys

hope for the iphone 6, or whenever apple eventually releases a bigger iphone they just do this. Get rid of some of that comically large top bezel and also some bottom bezel, make it ever so slightly wider.

An iphone at 4.3-4.5 inches would tempt me.

If apple releases and iphone "5s" with no change to the design they are in for a world of pain. They can no longer rest on the 2 year cycle before they update their chasis.

What will be interesting is how they describe it, what will be their excuse for making the phone bigger when they clearly stated last time that 4 inches with the max because your thumb would be able to reach all sides of the phone for single handed operation.

If apple releases and iphone "5s" with no change to the design they are in for a world of pain. They can no longer rest on the 2 year cycle before they update their chasis.

What will be interesting is how they describe it, what will be their excuse for making the phone bigger when they clearly stated last time that 4 inches with the max because your thumb would be able to reach all sides of the phone for single handed operation.

I'm sorry but people say this every single year there is an incremental update, and not only are they never in a world of pain, but they always sell more than everyone else (on a single phone basis), lol. Design isn't getting changed. Better camera, better processor, possibly that fingerprint sensor thing on it, and that's a wrap. I don't even mind this. Having a single phone that changes design every year is kind of dumb. Especially when you hit a good design.

And Apple has straight up lied in the past when steve jobs says they won't do something then they go ahead and do it. It's all just posturing until they figure out how they want to do something.

Can't wait for the Nexus 4 thread to have people who buy the white version, love it, drop it, screen cracks they hate the Nexus 4.

so when do you plan on selling your nexus 4 for the moto x?

world of pain from tech reviewers. kinda like the GS4. then ask people what's in their pocket a few months later for the real story.

Pctx

Banned
I'm sorry but people say this every single year there is an incremental update, and not only are they never in a world of pain, but they always sell more than everyone else (on a single phone basis), lol. Design isn't getting changed. Better camera, better processor, possibly that fingerprint sensor thing on it, and that's a wrap. I don't even mind this. Having a single phone that changes design every year is kind of dumb. Especially when you hit a good design.

And Apple has straight up lied in the past when steve jobs says they won't do something then they go ahead and do it. It's all just posturing until they figure out how they want to do something.

so when do you plan on selling your nexus 4 for the moto x?

Soon as I can. The N4 was a stopgap for me getting out of the Skyrocket.

VPhys

I think the landscape has changed and the other players are more formidable.

Samsung has gotten better with marketing. There is no longer the same stigma over larger phones. With phones like the Note II being so popular and even the Mega coming out, the 5" phones no longer seem so big. Apple is no longer the exclusive provider or premium design. Other manufacturers like HTC are giving Apple more competition in this area then they've ever had. "Retina" screens are pretty much a standard feature on all flasgship Android handsets. Sony's has a phone thats waterproof.

Apple has not seen competition like this. From the original iphone to the Iphone5. Before the most differentiating feature Android handsets had was that the OS was more open and customizable, and some handsets had removable storage and batteries.

If apple releases a 5s this year, I think they stand to loose more marketshare then they ever have. I suppose time will tell.

I don't think the landscape is ALLLL that different from when the 4S came out. Anyway the cycle will continue, mark my words. And they are releasing a 5S this year. It's a fact. It's been known for quite some time now.

Blackhead

Redarse
I don't think the landscape is ALLLL that different from when the 4S came out. Anyway the cycle will continue, mark my words. And they are releasing a 5S this year. It's a fact. It's been known for quite some time now.

The landscape is quite different. The market is getting saturated (at least in the West) and the iPhone's growth has been slowing down.

The landscape is quite different. The market is getting saturated (at least in the West) and the iPhone's growth has been slowing down.

didn't apple have a 7% YOY growth for iphone sales last quarter? I'm not saying they'll sustain mega growth. I'm just saying it won't drop much if at all. Which people say every time apple releases their "s" phone. Always the same arguments too. I guess if you say them every single year, one year they will finally be true lol.

Apple's market share is also growing at a faster rate than the competition in recent months in the US. And don't forget they plan to sell the low cost iphone this year it sounds like.

Blackhead

Redarse
didn't apple have a 7% YOY growth for iphone sales last quarter? I'm not saying they'll sustain mega growth. I'm just saying it won't drop much if at all. Which people say every time apple releases their "s" phone. Always the same arguments too. I guess if you say them every single year, one year they will finally be true lol.

Apple's market share is also growing at a faster rate than the competition in recent months in the US. And don't forget they plan to sell the low cost iphone this year it sounds like.

7% is low. It used to be closer to 100% a year ago. And that 7% is for all models, Apple didn't give the breakdown between the iPhone5 and the older cheaper models. Apple has bumped up their share in the US recently but they've also dropped precipitously in Europe.

7% is low. It used to be closer to 100% a year ago. And that 7% is for all models, Apple didn't give the breakdown between the iPhone5 and the older cheaper models. Apple has bumped up their share in the US recently but they've also dropped precipitously in Europe.

yeah but in the UK they still use blackberries as their number one phone, so that invalidates all of europe.

That's right. Also in the holiday quarter before that they shattered records.

rc213

Anyone looking to try or switch to T-Mobile prepaid?

I have like 2-3 Micro Sim Prepaid Kits you can use to activate the Walmart/Online Only $30 plan(Other prepaid plans too). I could take the Sim and activation code and drop in a envelope free for anyone that will use them.

Any credence to the rumors of the Note 3 coming out in July?

Also, what are the implications of its CPU being possibly Snapdragon vs. Exynos?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Any credence to the rumors of the Note 3 coming out in July?

Also, what are the implications of its CPU being possibly Snapdragon vs. Exynos?

Note 3 probably won't arrive till fall. May I interest you in the GS4 Active?

Galaxy_S_4_Active.jpg

It’s no secret that Samsung’s got a full complement of Galaxy S 4-derived handsets trickling out over the next few months; the company just revealed the S 4 Mini, and next up we’re expecting a more rugged, full-sized device known as the Galaxy S 4 Active (codename: J Active). Active, a (self-)reported five-inch, full HD handset powered by a quad-core, 1.9GHz Snapdragon 600 chipset from Qualcomm, will attempt to muscle in on some of the territory being staked out by Sony and its Xperia Z.

On AT&T, the eight-megapixel Active will be sold under model number SGH-I537, — in dark grey as well as teal, apparently — alongside a host of other upcoming Samsung handsets tipped for the second largest US carrier: SM-G730A “Golden” (Galaxy S III mini), SGH-I527 “Melius” (Galaxy Mega 6.3), SGH-I257 “Serrano” (Galaxy S 4 mini), and SGH-I217 “Zest.” With the Galaxy Note 3 also seemingly a lock for AT&T in the fall, Samsung fans seem to have a pretty clear destination in terms of American operators this year.

P.S. The date on that screenshot should be pretty telling.

Read more at http://theunlockr.com/2013/05/31/samsung-galaxy-s-4-active-revealed-for-att/#dtFM7S4qeKDZZc0S.99

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom