• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason trying to go into certain contacts in the people app causes the app to crash. I've been googling to find root cause and a fix for a few weeks now(off and on) and I haven't found anything even remotely helpful. Is anyone able to help me out? Would greatly appreciate it.

Are you using HaxSync? There was an update about a few weeks back that caused it if you didn't uninstall and reinstall the app.

Pctx

Banned
Any of you Android CM faithful, I've been running CM10 nightlies since day 3 and the thing is rock solid on the Skyrocket. Just upgraded to 10-12-12 this evening and now I'm up on JB 4.1.2. It actually feels really nice to have a phone that: A) Is getting developed for and B) is on the latest and greatest of Android without AT&T in the way.

Cipherr

why are people so surprised about the new Nexus? the Nexus One was the only one that was truly top of the line in every aspect at it's launch date.

the Nexus S was solid because the Hummingbird had a beast GPU, but it wasn't top tier. the Galaxy Nexus ushered in 720p screens but it wasn't top tier.

Amen. Its like we didn't just have this discussion like, 3 pages back. Now reality is sinking in, lol. Flagships come from the manufacturers loaded with their skins, thats the way of this OS.

Threi

notag
Personally I think its better if a Nexus phone ships with less than bleeding-edge hardware if the price is more affordable, like the Nexus 7.

Outside of the potentially spotty camera the specs seem flagship-esque for the LG nexus. Unless I'm missing something.

Or are we all still assuming the device is gonna be 8gb with no lte and that's it.

Outside of the potentially spotty camera the specs seem flagship-esque for the LG nexus. Unless I'm missing something.

Or are we all still assuming the device is gonna be 8gb with no lte and that's it.

Does the rest really matter? Quad-core CPU, 2 GB of RAM?

Buy hey, maybe that can make Tiny Tower on android playable.

DXPett1

Still hoping for multiple Nexus devices...

If its true and the LG Nexus only comes with 8GB (I couldn't give a stuff about MicroSD cards, prefer single storage than go back to that shambles (N1 nightmares))then I'll continue on with the GNex.
Nothing bad about the GNex bar the camera sensor could be better. It will be history repeating in where I skipped the NS anyway

Any of you Android CM faithful, I've been running CM10 nightlies since day 3 and the thing is rock solid on the Skyrocket. Just upgraded to 10-12-12 this evening and now I'm up on JB 4.1.2. It actually feels really nice to have a phone that: A) Is getting developed for and B) is on the latest and greatest of Android without AT&T in the way.
*hi-5*

Amen. Its like we didn't just have this discussion like, 3 pages back. Now reality is sinking in, lol. Flagships come from the manufacturers loaded with their skins, thats the way of this OS.
yeah, and flagships usually run CyanogenMod really well. and CM has some awesome stuff that stock AOSP doesn't.

I don't see how that matters on a phone. I never used my phone and thought "gee, more cores would be really helpful right now".
i use it on my phone all the time! just yesterday, i was on IRC at the mall while playing music, web browsing and doing other stuff.

The new Galaxy S3 Alpha will feature the same Exynos 4412 chipset as its international brethren, but this time around the quad-core processor is clocked to 1.6GHz. It also comes with 2GB RAM. The Galaxy S3 Alpha also has the multi-window feature that is only available on the Galaxy Note 2 and the Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet. Oh, and the Galaxy S3 Alpha will come with Android Jelly Bean right out of the box, unlike the normal Galaxy S3.

http://www.latinospost.com/articles/5443/20121013/samsung-galaxy-s3-alpha-hits-japan-more.htm

still not best galaxy.

i use it on my phone all the time! just yesterday, i was on IRC at the mall while playing music, web browsing and doing other stuff.

I'm not saying multitasking isn't needed and that no one is using it. I do it all the time. It's just that I don't think that a quad-core will do shit when it comes to the user experience. With 4.1 they finally got system wide UI acceleration and that sorted most issues out.

Not that I'm against technological evolution, but it seems silly to praise it for something that doesn't really do anything. Things like pushing NFC with the GN were more important, imo.

I don't see how that matters on a phone. I never used my phone and thought "gee, more cores would be really helpful right now".

You've obviously never watched video on your phone. I'm not even talking about Youtube here either, I'm talking about videos which really can bring a dual-core phone to it's knees.

http://www.xperiablog.net/2012/10/14/benchmark-confirms-1080p-display-for-sony-c660x-yuga/

1080p 5" screen, S4 Pro (quad core), LTE and I have heard that it has a mega battery (2500-2800mAh) and 32GB plus microSD slot.

Releases in Europe and Japan in Q1, US date and networks not set, but I have heard AT&T and VZW are very interested. There is also a 6" phablet planned for Q2 (1080p, same internal as Yuga) and a Q4 5" flagship with an as yet unset SoC (ST-E L9600 is what I have heard, but it is still early days) is also in the works, again 1080p 5" almost no bezel.

The 1080p screens are from JDI, not Sharp so the quality is unknown right now as they haven't been previewed yet by any news outlets but I have been told that they boast massive native contrast ratios and very decent colour reproduction.

And finally, Sony are about to release their first set of Jelly Bean updates for the Xperia T/TX, S and Acro S. My best estimate is 10-15 days from now. Also, the Xperia TL will be out in around two weeks and the update should roll out very quickly (within days of release as it is undergoing final testing right now).

I have no ETA on the V, it was mid November for UK and Japan, but since then it has changed (possibly brought forward).

Cipherr

Man I really hope next years flagship Android phones ship with 1080p displays around 4.7" or 4.8". I really want that resolution bump.

renitou

Man I really hope next years flagship Android phones ship with 1080p displays around 4.7" or 4.8". I really want that resolution bump.
That really seems like overkill on anything below 5 inches (at least). What is limiting you at the current resolution?

That really seems like overkill on anything below 5 inches (at least). What is limiting you at the current resolution?

jdi-651ppi.jpg

326ppi is the current standard.

Cipherr

Seriously... Im going to blow a freaking gasket the next time one of you guys hit me with the:

"But noone has a need for..."

"Why do you need extra cores for..."

"Who would ever want..."

"Most people are fine with..."

For the love of god. Please stop it, technology advances.. dealwithit.gif

Cipherr

Ha ha

and you ALL laughed when I said the 5" Streak will be the first of many!

ha ha ha

Man, if you said that and got laughed at in a GAF thread, I would seriously consider looking that one up. You could serve some serious crow. I don't think anyone expected the phablet space to be as well received as it has been.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Seriously... Im going to blow a freaking gasket the next time one of you guys hit me with the:

"Who would ever want..."

I'm glad someone else hates that mentality. It's disgusting. Just a bunch of old people yelling at clouds.

Best Buy is selling the GS3 for $99 today only, so tempted to get that but not sure if I should wait it out for something better?

Life is full of difficult decision making!

Best Buy is selling the GS3 for $99 today only, so tempted to get that but not sure if I should wait it out for something better?

Well the GS4 is rumoured for March/April and the Sony devices for Feb/March and the HTC phablet for December. If you don't need a new phone then holding off might be a good idea. Don't forget that once these are out the S3 will be quite heavily discounted anyway to compete with newer/better devices so if you don't like the look of any of them then you will be able to pick up an S3 on the cheap.

ep85

"Who would ever want..."

My problem with extra cores is that it keeps at the "moar power" mentality that many OEMs seem to think what consumers want. I think consumers would benefit more from better battery life with more efficient dual cores than quad core phones that aren't even fully utilized.

Technology advancement doesn't necessarily mean a higher number of something. Efficiency is just as important as raw power. Can't wait to see what the A15's bring to the table.

"Who would ever want..."

why would anyone want to have voicemail? i mean, phones are for talking to PEOPLE, not MACHINES!

My problem with extra cores is that it keeps at the "moar power" mentality that many OEMs seem to think what consumers want. I think consumers would benefit more from better battery life with more efficient dual cores than quad core phones that aren't even fully utilized.

Technology advancement doesn't necessarily mean a higher number of something. Efficiency is just as important as raw power. Can't wait to see what the A15's bring to the table.
i thought more cores running at a lower clock speed was more power efficient than less running at higher... of course, that efficiency also depends on how well multitasking works...

tino

Banned

I actually disagree. People who spend money to buy the newest shit DO want more of every thing. People who are sensible and efficient won't spend top dollar for new phones.

Know who was only one making sensible small android phone? Sony. Nobody cared about them.

Cyrillus

This is similar to when dual-cores (and quad-cores) hit the consumer PC market. They weren't being fully-utilized by anything other than a handful of high-end software. It took years for software and OSes to fully utilize the multi-core hardware. While I agree that there is are added obstacles in this use case due to battery power and size constraints, it still is going to play out the same way: the hardware needs to exist in order for software to be developed for it. Yes, there will be an awkward transition period (which I think we're currently in) where quad-core is kind of meaningless in pretty much every way other than specs chest-beating, but it is a necessary growing pain.

M_A_C

I assume thats with a 2 year commitment? I hate only being able to upgrade every 2 years.

ep85

I actually disagree. People who spend money to buy the newest shit DO want more of every thing. People who are sensible and efficient won't spend top dollar for new phones.

Know who was only one making sensible small android phone? Sony. Nobody cared about them.

Well I'm not saying push for sensible small phones. The Krait processor, and hopefully the A15's will be efficient beasts.

I think the Optimus G and the One X+ are examples of OEM's making phones that are bad for consumers. They throw in quad core CPU's that have LTE on separate chips which decrease battery life. Sure the Optimus throws a bigger battery as a bandaid but its a fundamental problem to think that pushing CPU's will make a better phone.

I will never own a 5 inch phone in my lifeeeee.

What if it was a flexible screen with no bezel?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
How do flexible screens change anything? Serious question. I mean, there has to be room for the non-flexible stuff in the phone, like memory, battery, chipset, etc.

ep85

How do flexible screens change anything? Serious question. I mean, there has to be room for the non-flexible stuff in the phone, like memory, battery, chipset, etc.

The flip form factor can come back maybe? Flexibility can lead to more portability? The battery would probably be the biggest hurdle as to getting to to fit, the chipset is usually pretty small. I don't know, I don't get paid to make these decisions, sir.

thuway

http://www.xperiablog.net/2012/10/14/benchmark-confirms-1080p-display-for-sony-c660x-yuga/

Releases in Europe and Japan in Q1, US date and networks not set, but I have heard AT&T and VZW are very interested. There is also a 6" phablet planned for Q2 (1080p, same internal as Yuga) and a Q4 5" flagship with an as yet unset SoC (ST-E L9600 is what I have heard, but it is still early days) is also in the works, again 1080p 5" almost no bezel.

More info plz.

JDI-5-inch.jpg

It looks glorious.

More info plz.

http://static.xperiablog.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/JDI-5-inch.jpg[ /IMG]

It looks glorious.[/QUOTE]

As far as I know (and this is subject to change, it is Sony after all) they have a 6" 1080p phablet in the works for Q2. It is a quad core S4 Pro with LTE and floating touch/glove mode/pen mode for super accurate pen input.

I have also heard that a new 9.4" tablet is in the works, but as yet not many details other than it having a much higher resolution than the current Xperia Tablet S.

Tino - Like I said previously, Sony are looking to exit from their relationship with Qualcomm because of the favouritism they show to HTC. What moves they will make to enable this I don't know, but ST-E will be put up for sale soon and I think Sony are very interested as it gives them a fully integrated SoC and baseband solution ready to go at 28nm and 32nm as well as a large chunk of LTE related IP. I'm not even sure they would have to break the bank, less than what was paid for Ericsson's share of SE and right now getting hold of an integrated SoC and LTE baseband designer is a big deal as it will allow them to tell Qualcomm to fuck off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom