• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwk94

Guys, my accounts aren't syncing properly. Sometimes I'll get a notification (email, twitter, or facebook), sometimes they'll come a long time after I should have received them, and sometimes they don't come at all.

I received an email earlier today and checked it on my computer before looking on my phone. When I looked at my phone, there wasn't a notification and my setting said they had synced but when I went to the app, I had to manually refresh the list to get the new email to appear. Is there a fix for this?

Toki767

Guys, my accounts aren't syncing properly. Sometimes I'll get a notification (email, twitter, or facebook), sometimes they'll come a long time after I should have received them, and sometimes they don't come at all.

I received an email earlier today and checked it on my computer before looking on my phone. When I looked at my phone, there wasn't a notification and my setting said they had synced but when I went to the app, I had to manually refresh the list to get the new email to appear. Is there a fix for this?

Clear cache on Google Play Services I think. With Twitter it really depends on how many apps you use it on.

Controversial opinion time:

I don't like the new sliding menus. The 3 bar menu icon on the top left is ugly. The gesture to slide open the menu is ridiculously difficult to trigger if you're right handed because of how tiny (and far) the touch target is. The menu itself feels way too big and is even inconsistent between apps (see Play Music vs. Drive). I feel like the Drive app's menu should be the standard size/look.

Also, the GMail app is way harder to use now that the delete button is on top.

Controversial opinion time:

I don't like the new sliding menus. The 3 bar menu icon on the top left is ugly. The gesture to slide open the menu is ridiculously difficult to trigger if you're right handed because of how tiny (and far) the touch target is. The menu itself feels way too big and is even inconsistent between apps (see Play Music vs. Drive). I feel like the Drive app's menu should be the standard size/look.

You don't have to hit the button if that's what you mean. You just need to slide anywhere from the left side. If you mean the window on the left side that responds, then ya I could see that.

Also, the GMail app is way harder to use now that the delete button is on top.

I agree. I wish they left this at the bottom.

Also, I hate how the widget will now only let you select one category if you're using categories instead of your whole inbox. I tried All Mail as my option for my widget, but it doesn't work. So now I'm torn. I like having the categories, but I want my widget to be my complete inbox.

You don't have to hit the button if that's what you mean. You just need to slide anywhere from the left side. If you mean the window on the left side that responds, then ya I could see that.

No, not the button. I'm talking about how far left on the screen you have to go before the slide actually triggers. I wish they did it like the YouTube app where you could just pull from anywhere.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english

I agree. I wish they left this at the bottom.

Also, I hate how the widget will now only let you select one category if you're using categories instead of your whole inbox. I tried All Mail as my option for my widget, but it doesn't work. So now I'm torn. I like having the categories, but I want my widget to be my complete inbox.
Yeah, this piss me off.

No, not the button. I'm talking about how far left on the screen you have to go before the slide actually triggers. I wish they did it like the YouTube app where you could just pull from anywhere.

I think the problem with that is you have slide actions on the e-mails themselves. Loosening that up would cause a conflict.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It just occurred to me that hangouts is horrible for sexting.

How so? Inline pics and video chat.
aJBLf.gif

Xperia M dual, €249 = Android 4.2.2
Xperia Z/ZL, €599 = Android 4.1.2

What the fuck Sony. It's like you're not even trying any more. Same mistakes, same shitty software support. Fucking get it sorted.

Also, a running total of Xperia phones of 2013:

Xperia E/Dual
Xperia Z
Xperia ZL
Xperia ZR/A
Xperia SP
Xperia L
Xperia UL
Xperia M/Dual

+

Xperia Tablet Z

8 phone in 11 different SKUs, and one tablet. 5 different hardware platforms. It's like they never fucking learn.

Edit: Just got a message saying that Xperia Z/ZL/Tablet Z 4.2.2 is in it's final, final beta testing phase. They are rolling out the firmware for brown devices this week, if it goes well then it will be rolling out to consumer devices in 2-3 weeks. Well I've heard this before, but let's hope it's real this time. If Sony can actually ship 4.2.2 before the end of June it will be a miracle. My ZL is waiting, somewhat impatiently now. Missing Dashclock from CM10.1 on my Sensation.

What the fuck Sony. It's like you're not even trying any more. Same mistakes, same shitty software support. Fucking get it sorted.

Also, a running total of Xperia phones of 2013:

Xperia E/Dual
Xperia Z
Xperia ZL
Xperia ZR/A
Xperia SP
Xperia L
Xperia UL
Xperia M/Dual

+

Xperia Tablet Z

8 phone in 11 different SKUs, and one tablet. 5 different hardware platforms. It's like they never fucking learn.

Still like 1/4 of what Samsung has at any given moment. Their letter naming scheme is too cryptic though, Samsung comes up with a variety of names for Galaxy devices which differentiates them more readily than combinations of letters.

Still like 1/4 of what Samsung has at any given moment. Their letter naming scheme is too cryptic though, Samsung comes up with a variety of names for Galaxy devices which differentiates them more readily than combinations of letters.

Yup, should have a entry level series called Xperia Start or something like that and dump the E/M/L into that series and then have better defined names for the rest. Also, in terms of software support, Samsung's team is about double the size so they have the capacity to support a large number of platforms and variations. It's pretty clear Sony don't.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual

STOP RELEASING SO MANY MODELS.

Fuck Sony. The Xperia S was disastrous from a support perspective and was supposedly a flagship. I'd never buy one of their phones again.

STOP RELEASING SO MANY MODELS.

Fuck Sony. The Xperia S was disastrous from a support perspective and was supposedly a flagship. I'd never buy one of their phones again.

I think Xperia S was a one off, it got mistreated by Japan since it was seen by them as a Sweden device, and when the time came to release the update it was of very poor quality so Lund had to take over and redraw the schedules. It's out now and pretty good from all accounts. Still a fuck up though, but I think they get a pass because of the merger upheaval, only just though.

the thing is we're half wya through the year, sony will be releasing more phones no doubt

Too many.

This is the ideal lineup:

H1:
Xperia Z - 5" FHD, S600, 2GB, 32GB, microSD
Xperia SP - 4.6" HD, S600, 2GB, 16GB, microSD
Xperia Start L/dual - 4.3" qHD, S400, 1GB, 8GB, microSD
Xperia Start M/dual - 4" qHD, S400, 1GB, 4GB, microSD

H2:
Xperia ZL - 5" FHD, S600, 2GB, 32GB, microSD
Xperia "super" - 5" FHD, S800, 4GB, 64GB, microSD

And two tablets, a large one like Tablet Z and an 8" for the second half both using S600.

There, that's 3 hardware platforms, 8 devices and 10 SKUs for the whole year covering all of the major price points and sectors. Sony just have an awful analyst division who seem incapable of reading the market properly.

Wtf is the point in the M? It's an L with 5mp camera?

4", cheaper, dual sim version, removable battery, much smaller. If anything they should have stuffed the 8MP in the M and not bothered with the L.

I think Xperia S was a one off, it got mistreated by Japan since it was seen by them as a Sweden device, and when the time came to release the update it was of very poor quality so Lund had to take over and redraw the schedules. It's out now and pretty good from all accounts. Still a fuck up though, but I think they get a pass because of the merger upheaval, only just though.

As much as I love the Xperia S design, I'm glad I didn't pick it over the Galaxy Nexus, when you recommended it.

All of these are Qualcomm too right? Weren't they going for a mediatek solution too?

There's a Chinese press conference from SMC on the 25th (I think) where they will probably announce two or three MediaTek powered phones for the Chinese market sold via China Mobile and China Unicom. I don't think those will make it out of China though. SMC China will deal with the software updates for those phones as well, essentially Sony are letting SMC China get on with the Chinese market using locally sourced parts so they can compete with Chinese companies better.

Blackhead

Redarse
This is the ideal lineup:

H1:
Xperia Z - 5" FHD, S600, 2GB, 32GB, microSD
Xperia SP - 4.6" 4.3" HD, S600, 2GB, 16GB, microSD
Xperia Start L/dual - 4.3" qHD, S400, 1GB, 8GB, microSD
Xperia Start M/dual - 4" qHD HD ('retina display'), S400, 1GB, 4GB 8GB, microSD

H2:
Xperia ZL - 5" FHD, S600, 2GB, 32GB, microSD
Xperia "super" - 5" FHD, S800, 4GB, 64GB, microSD

And two tablets, a large one like Tablet Z 6" and an 8" for the second half both using S600.

There, that's 3 hardware platforms, 8 devices and 10 SKUs for the whole year covering all of the major price points and sectors. Sony just have an awful analyst division who seem incapable of reading the market properly.

fixed

4", cheaper, dual sim version, removable battery, much smaller. If anything they should have stuffed the 8MP in the M and not bothered with the L.
That's a device that will only be bought in developing countries and perhaps China. It shouldn't classed as an Xperia in any way.

To be fair to Sony, they don't release all these devices in every market; some regions only get two or three. On the other hand, that's actually a fault as they splinter their support for no reason visible to the average customer and it hurts their marketing abilities.

fixed

That's a device that will only be bought in developing countries and perhaps China. It shouldn't classed as an Xperia in any way.

To be fair to Sony, they don't release all these devices in every market; some regions only get two or three. On the other hand, that's actually a fault as they splinter their support for no reason visible to the average customer and it hurts their marketing abilities.

Don't kill the ZL, it's the best device on the market right now, except no one knows about it!

Otherwise yes, but I was just using what Sony released rather than what they should have released.

The splintering is bad, I had to buy the ZL from Amazon.de when I should have been able to get it from my carrier in the UK if I wanted. It was ridiculous that Sony didn't release the ZL in the UK or in the rest of Europe. Such a great phone, it really is unique among the full HD behemoths.

Blackhead

Redarse
Don't kill the ZL, it's the best device on the market right now, except no one knows about it!

Otherwise yes, but I was just using what Sony released rather than what they should have released.

:'|

Sony should have released only the ZL earlier this spring then return with a waterproof version of the ZL for the late summer/fall

:'|

Sony should have released only the ZL earlier this spring then return with a waterproof version of the ZL for the late summer/fall

Yup. I think the Z is more striking though because it's really thin and made of glass so in terms of marketing the Z is easier for them to launch their "Sony make awesome phones" platform from.

In other news: Another rat leaves the sinking ship.

"HTC Corp. (2498) Chief Operating Officer Matthew Costello stepped down after less than three years at Taiwan’s biggest smartphone maker amid slumping sales that have pushed down shares 76 percent in the past two years.

Fred Liu, who is president of engineering and operations, took on Costello’s responsibilities in an expanded role covering operations, quality, sales operations and services, Liu said in an e-mail to employees obtained by Bloomberg News. Costello will stay on as an executive adviser after moving to Europe, according to the e-mail. HTC confirmed both moves in an e-mailed response to Bloomberg.
"

http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...f-steps-down-as-profit-slumps-on-phone-delays

Groof

In other news: Another rat leaves the sinking ship.

"HTC Corp. (2498) Chief Operating Officer Matthew Costello stepped down after less than three years at Taiwan’s biggest smartphone maker amid slumping sales that have pushed down shares 76 percent in the past two years.

Fred Liu, who is president of engineering and operations, took on Costello’s responsibilities in an expanded role covering operations, quality, sales operations and services, Liu said in an e-mail to employees obtained by Bloomberg News. Costello will stay on as an executive adviser after moving to Europe, according to the e-mail. HTC confirmed both moves in an e-mailed response to Bloomberg.
"

http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...f-steps-down-as-profit-slumps-on-phone-delays

HTC to be gone before the end of the year? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom