• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
ZTE-HTC?
Asus-HTC?
Huawei-HTC?
Google-Motorola-HTC?
HTC-Ericsson?

I was actually thinking of Lenovo. Lenovo doesn't really sell phones outside of China, HTC would be a nice pickup for them to expand internationally.
Asus already has a healthy phone and tablets division worldwide, HTC is meaningless to them.
Huawei is a possibility but they aren't known for acquisitions, preferring to develop technology in-house not unlike Samsung.
ZTE doesn't have that kind of money laying around.
Google isn't going to waste any more money on patent boondoggles, even Motorola has been a tough pill for them to swallow and Moto is the company that literally invented the cellular phone, their patents are invaluable but also covered by FRAND.
Ericsson is out of the handsets business, that's why they sold their portion of the Sony-Ericsson joint venture.

I honestly wonder if Formosa Plastics cares that much about HTC. They would probably prefer to divest to a Chinese company rather than pour money into a hole and flush it.

I imagine the Taiwanese government would just force them to bail it out rather than allow a Chinese mainland company to take control of one of Taiwan's most high profile companies.

So we all know about Samsung's paid shilling programme, but what do we know about Sony's?

Well they have around 20-25 paid "evangelists" for Xperia products who are basically paid to post on the internet on various websites and blogs to boost Xperia and Sony. I have this information from someone at Sony's marketing HQ who disagrees with the programme, says they shouldn't be in the business of underhanded marketing like Samsung and HTC. The evangelists receive free "test" devices in return for their shilling as well as cash.

If you ever see someone who talks about certain Xperia devices before they have been released but have been announced then it is likely they are part of this programme and nothing they say means anything.

Obviously this isn't true of all people who get advanced access to Xperia products, but if they are unrelentingly positive about Xperia and/or Sony then they probably are part of this programme.

HTC revenues for May still down YoY vs last year. Despite it being the first full month of HTC One availability. This sucker's going down boys...

Looking at the YoY from 2005-2013 is very telling:
Figures in NTD millions - YoY increase/decrease %

Code:
2005: 5,103
2006: 8,336  - 63.4
2007: 7,992  - (4.1)
2008: 10,934 - 36.8
2009: 12,484 - 14.2
2010: 18,663 - 49.5
2011: 40,621 - 115.8
2012: 30,004 - (26.1)
2013: 29,001 - (3.3)

They are still pulling in revenues lower than their peak 2011 year despite having a device that is probably their best ever released to the market.

Honestly, the rats are deserting a sinking ship and I wouldn't be surprised if they get bailed out by the end of the year. I still haven't seen a single person IRL with a HTC One and Londoners are pretty accepting of everything, I even saw someone with a Huawei once. Almost all Androids are Galaxy phones and recently there have been quite a few with Xperia Z but still not a single HTC One seen in the wild. Like I said earlier in the thread, I saw a One X for the first time in the wild a year after it was released. If Londoners aren't buying HTC phones I don't think many others are, and it shows in these latest revenue figures.

gcubed

I really love HTC, they are the best. Sense is fantastic and is the future of smartphone control.

i'll take a free Google edition One HTC, thanks

The automatic updates for apps is not a per app setting, is it?

its both, you can do it universally, or enable per app

Groof

Sad to see HTC being in so much trouble so short after they stepped up their game for real. They have one of the greatest devices out there with 4.2.2 update already dated for mid June, they've been hitting almost every mark.
Welp, if they go out at least they go out classy.

Nicktendo86

Anecdotal zomg but I've seen two people on the tube with an one and my brother has bought one. VAST majority of people I see in London still have I phones, second most common are samsungs.

Groof

Anecdotal zomg but I've seen two people on the tube with an one and my brother has bought one. VAST majority of people I see in London still have I phones, second most common are samsungs.

I've seen one girl with a One in the tube and one dude with a One at school. I know two people with an Xperia Z. I see quite a few Xperias out and about, tbh. The rest are an iPhone/Galaxy S# dominated society. Except me and my friend. We're Nexus 4 master race.

BluWacky

I've seen one girl with a One in the tube and one dude with a One at school. I know two people with an Xperia Z. I see quite a few Xperias out and about, tbh. The rest are an iPhone/Galaxy S# dominated society. Except me and my friend. We're Nexus 4 master race.

I've never seen anything except Galaxies and iPhones, or midrange things I don't really care about any more (the number of people still rocking old school Nokias on the Tube is mindblowing!). Even the Blackberry is a rare beast these days.

I wish I hadn't seen photos of the One. I was all set on an Xperia Z but the One looks great too! If HTC are going under, though, then the Z may be the best bet...

Nicktendo86

I know this is controversial but I think the one looks better than it feels. I don't like that the face is not completely smooth due to the speakers and it feels a little chunky. N4 wins in my mind.

I've never seen anything except Galaxies and iPhones, or midrange things I don't really care about any more (the number of people still rocking old school Nokias on the Tube is mindblowing!). Even the Blackberry is a rare beast these days.

I wish I hadn't seen photos of the One. I was all set on an Xperia Z but the One looks great too! If HTC are going under, though, then the Z may be the best bet...

I would get a GS4 in your position, or if you are getting it offline then the ZL. Those two phones are easily the best on the market right now. GS4 pretty much blows everything away, and the ZL is tiny for a 5" FHD phone even if the performance isn't as good as the GS4, it really does feel tiny.

its both, you can do it universally, or enable per app

I can't seem to figure this out. When I am on an app screen, hit the menu key and check the auto update option, I see that option checked for other apps as well.

Edit: Is it the other way around? Do I enable it for all and uncheck the once I don't want to auto update?

gcubed

I can't seem to figure this out. When I am on an app screen, hit the menu key and check the auto update option, I see that option checked for other apps as well.

Edit: Is it the other way around? Do I enable it for all and uncheck the once I don't want to auto update?

from what i remember you disable auto-update in the settings, then enable it per app

New ComScore numbers for Amurrica:

qBP36Pr.png

p0NawXv.png

Apple only one gaining subs last quarter lulzz. Also iPhone showing most growth in amurica. Samsung second, then everyone else declining.

It's time for motorola!!!!1

Just because he owns Sny stock, it doesn't make him a Sony shill.

I think I would have been doing a pretty bad job of it tbh. Most of my posts in here are neutral to negative on Sony. I don't think they've done a particularly good job with Xperia phones or tablets and I don't think the company culture is changing fast enough (at all?) to better serve their consumers in terms of software support. They are as late as ever with updates and they push too many devices on too many platforms, as ever. The one year they got it right was 2011, which also coincided with SEMC using a single hardware platform for the whole year which meant unified development, which is what makes sense for the pitifully small team they have a Lund after all of the (unnecessary) job losses.

The shining star from Sony has been the Xperia ZL. Amazing phone, but they barely even acknowledge its existence and make it difficult for people to even buy one. Another fuck up IMO. ZL should have been offered WW from April with S600 in tow. As always Sony take the stupidest and cheapest route. Even the latest Xperia M uses MSM8227 from 2012 instead of 2013's S400 because Sony can get $4 off the unit pricing from Qualcomm for taking dead stock. It will leave them in a weak position for updates though as Qualcomm will just drop support for MSM8227 after 4.3/5.0 and in 2014 Sony will have to explain why people who just bought their dual core Krait phone won't get updates beyond that when their other dual core Krait phone (Xperia L which has S400) will get it.

SMC are a company still stuck in the pre-iPhone/Android era and they are still trying to pull the same shit they did last decade when they would consistently use worse/cheaper components than their competitors. Back then their brand was second only to Nokia so it wasn't too much of an issue, in today's post iPhone world, Sony are nothing in smartphones. Not even nothing, they are lower than nothing because of the bad reputation they built up from 2009-2012 with shit hardware and software.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I think Xperia S was a one off, it got mistreated by Japan since it was seen by them as a Sweden device, and when the time came to release the update it was of very poor quality so Lund had to take over and redraw the schedules. It's out now and pretty good from all accounts. Still a fuck up though, but I think they get a pass because of the merger upheaval, only just though.
The phone seemed slightly smoother/faster with JB but still laggy as anything, and all sorts of weird bugs. It hitches up constantly - in the app drawer, in apps, everything. Plus it would reload the page I was on nearly every time I went into the browser from another app. My One X did this and it's not acceptable! Plus my volume up button stopped working randomly, which is really helpful.

Keep in mind I was all over the phone when I got it a year ago - they've kind of lost all that good will and turned me against their products. They just don't seem to care about giving their customers a good experience. If they can't support all these phones they shouldn't be releasing them!

I've checked out the Z and others and have (briefly) considered it but I'd feel pretty stupid buying one of their new ones and then the same thing happens again with regards to support (in fact I'd be interested to see how they treat the Z/ZL in a few months) - it just seems they spread themselves far, far too thin. My next try and my last stab at a good Android handset will be the N4.

The phone seemed slightly smoother/faster with JB but still laggy as anything, and all sorts of weird bugs. It hitches up constantly - in the app drawer, in apps, everything. Plus it would reload the page I was on nearly every time I went into the browser from another app. My One X did this and it's not acceptable! Plus my volume up button stopped working randomly, which is really helpful.

Keep in mind I was all over the phone when I got it a year ago - they've kind of lost all that good will and turned me against their products. They just don't seem to care about giving their customers a good experience. If they can't support all these phones they shouldn't be releasing them!

I've checked out the Z and others and have (briefly) considered it but I'd feel pretty stupid buying one of their new ones and then the same thing happens again with regards to support (in fact I'd be interested to see how they treat the Z/ZL in a few months) - it just seems they spread themselves far, far too thin. My next try and my last stab at a good Android handset will be the N4.

Look at my post above yours, I pretty much agree with your sentiments...

As for the Xperia S. Have you tried a factory reset? I've heard that works quite well. Just back up your data to your Google account and your SMS/contacts and whatever else is important. Then do a factory reset. That will wipe everything off the phone and rebuild the firmware and databases from scratch. Then reload your account and do a Google restore on it, leave it for an hour and your problems should have gone away.

It isn't the best solution, but a factory reset tends to make things run better.

I think I would have been doing a pretty bad job of it tbh. Most of my posts in here are neutral to negative on Sony. I don't think they've done a particularly good job with Xperia phones or tablets and I don't think the company culture is changing fast enough (at all?) to better serve their consumers in terms of software support. They are as late as ever with updates and they push too many devices on too many platforms, as ever. The one year they got it right was 2011, which also coincided with SEMC using a single hardware platform for the whole year which meant unified development, which is what makes sense for the pitifully small team they have a Lund after all of the (unnecessary) job losses.

Man, you'd be a perfect fit for the Windows Phone thread. Join me and together we can rule them all! :lol

Ollie Pooch

Look at my post above yours, I pretty much agree with your sentiments...

As for the Xperia S. Have you tried a factory reset? I've heard that works quite well. Just back up your data to your Google account and your SMS/contacts and whatever else is important. Then do a factory reset. That will wipe everything off the phone and rebuild the firmware and databases from scratch. Then reload your account and do a Google restore on it, leave it for an hour and your problems should have gone away.

It isn't the best solution, but a factory reset tends to make things run better.
Yep you nailed it. They feel too slow to keep up with other manufacturers, or unwilling to go all out. Shame also to see the Z/ZL seem to have the same issues as the S - good screen but with awful viewing angles. They haven't quite got the winning combo yet.

Yeah, I did a reset actually - but thanks! I actually installed the FTF of JB after a full reset, as I'd been preparing to sell it then thought I'd hold out for that update. I mean, I understand it's an older phone so it's hardly gonna be blazing speed or anything, but going from my 4S to that phone was just horrible.

On a lighter note I am, against better judgement, HYPED for my N4 - I loved most everything about the Android OS so I'm hoping this finally nails the experience I want. Will pick up next week (using the proceeds from an old 3DS and the sale of the XS... feels appropriate ;)

Took advantage of my wifes upgrade and "AT&T's trade in yer smartphones fer credits" and grabbed an LG Optimus G Pro yesterday, Ermegehrd this is a beast! 5.5 inch glorious screen, it is just soooo nice to look at :) Also grabbed the smart cover, this thing is the shit.

catmincer

Yep you nailed it. They feel too slow to keep up with other manufacturers, or unwilling to go all out. Shame also to see the Z/ZL seem to have the same issues as the S - good screen but with awful viewing angles. They haven't quite got the winning combo yet.

Yeah, I did a reset actually - but thanks! I actually installed the FTF of JB after a full reset, as I'd been preparing to sell it then thought I'd hold out for that update. I mean, I understand it's an older phone so it's hardly gonna be blazing speed or anything, but going from my 4S to that phone was just horrible.

On a lighter note I am, against better judgement, HYPED for my N4 - I loved most everything about the Android OS so I'm hoping this finally nails the experience I want. Will pick up next week (using the proceeds from an old 3DS and the sale of the XS... feels appropriate ;)

The S is (still) a beautiful phone design wise. But there's something not quite right about the software in it. I factory reset it so many times too. I am glad to be free of it though. ;)

As for HTC.....

One, awesome phone, by far the best I have ever had but as usual NO advertising. :(

Perhaps Nokia/HTC merger? Then people will (kind of) get their Nokia Android phones mwuhaha.

Cipherr

I am fucking stoked with the new GMail app.

Being able to disable notifications for the tabs you want while leaving them on for the main important mail tab is just fucking sweet man. Don't even bother turning off sound before bed at night now. Nothing like a loud notification from a crap e-mail at 3:00 am to wake us up /grumble.

This is so nice.

Ollie Pooch

The S is (still) a beautiful phone design wise. But there's something not quite right about the software in it. I factory reset it so many times too. I am glad to be free of it though. ;)
Same, the design was why I bought it! So sharp, I got a lot of comments about it. Shame it was kinda cheap plastic. Ah well. Lasted me a year ;)

DBPlayer

Banned
WWIII will erupt before a Chinese company is allowed to buy HTC. We'll see riots and demonstrations and political heads will roll in Taiwan.

People who made that comment don't know Taiwan very well.

Straight from the ville had to catch the train
No I never picked a pocket or snatched a chain
I was way too deep in the music
God gave me a gift, I decided to keep it and use it

y/n android gaf

vivftp

So we all know about Samsung's paid shilling programme, but what do we know about Sony's?

Well they have around 20-25 paid "evangelists" for Xperia products who are basically paid to post on the internet on various websites and blogs to boost Xperia and Sony. I have this information from someone at Sony's marketing HQ who disagrees with the programme, says they shouldn't be in the business of underhanded marketing like Samsung and HTC. The evangelists receive free "test" devices in return for their shilling as well as cash.

If you ever see someone who talks about certain Xperia devices before they have been released but have been announced then it is likely they are part of this programme and nothing they say means anything.

Obviously this isn't true of all people who get advanced access to Xperia products, but if they are unrelentingly positive about Xperia and/or Sony then they probably are part of this programme.

That sounds like a pretty cushy job and free gear! Yeah, you're being a bit sleazy and all, but I would't mind having such a job if it meant they'd give me free gear and I'd get paid for it too! Hell, I already gush over Sony crap for free, lol.

Damned bastards are gonna make me go broke this year as I'm now VERY tempted by the new Duo 13, and the Honami rumors are heating up online... some pretty wild stuff being tossed around on other forums.

Yes, world of goo, plague inc, beach buggy, others incant remember. Problem is there is no app to tie them together, achievements, leaderboards etc are handled on a game by game basis.

Google clearly needs to integrate Google Games Live! support into the OS, so you can look at your phone game cheevos at any time from anywhere. They could probably put it into Google Now, that's not strictly what it's for but a card with your cheevos on it would work.

Groof

What they direly need to do, like right this fucking instant, is give Google Games its own tab in the Play Store so people can browse all the games that support it. Right now it's just guesswork.

The GALAXY S4 Active has qualified protection from dust and water (IP67*), so you never have to leave the device at home during a long day at the beach or dusty hike. The fully sealed design keeps dust particles out and protects against water damage for up to 30 minutes of submergence at a depth of one meter. Equipped with a water-resistant earphone jack, the GALAXY S4 Active frees you to use earphones in more adventurous conditions, in the same way you’ve used them in normal ones. Whether capturing every moment of a wild rafting trip or taking a great underwater photo in the pool, the device’s unique construction lets users capture amazing moments previously impossible using a normal smartphone.

Featuring a 1.9 GHZ Quad-Core processor and 2,600mAh battery, the GALAXY S4 Active can handle the most intensive tasks with ease and precision. Striking color and stunning resolution on the device’s beautiful 5.0’’ Full HD TFT LCD screen (443 PPI) makes playing the newest games or watching hours of video easy on the eyes. And with ‘Glove Touch’, cold weather is no longer a problem since the touchscreen can be fully operated while wearing gloves.

With an 8-megapixel rear camera, users can easily share their vivid experiences while on the go. Unique to the GALAXY S4 Active camera, ‘Aqua Mode’ can be used to increase visual quality and clarity for enhanced underwater images and video. The volume key located on the side of the device can be used as a camera key, allowing users to easily and quickly open the camera application to capture photo and video the moment it happens. Additionally, the camera transforms into a powerful LED flash light to assist in low-light and nighttime activities with a simple long press of the volume key.

http://www.samsungmobilepress.com/2...ion-for-Exploration,-Activity-and-Adventure-1

only an 8MP camera...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom