• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groof

Was able to push the Google Keyboard app from the PC Play Store, but when I try to open it a toast notification pops up telling me the app isn't installed and it disappears from my app tray. Weird.

Seems to still be installed, though. I can find it on my device. nvm it's working as it should lawdy lawd.

Staab

Just got the OTA JellyBean update for my Sony Xperia S :
- what the fuck happened to the default messaging app, they made it worse or am I missing the customization options ?
- no more "chose by default" option when multiple apps are possible?

Nicktendo86

The downloadable Google keyboard seems to be slightly better than the built in aosp one, the default vibrate is stronger and it had a new download extra dictionaries bit which actually works with my rooted gnexus! ☺

Groof

The downloadable Google keyboard seems to be slightly better than the built in aosp one, the default vibrate is stronger and it had a new download extra dictionaries bit which actually works with my rooted gnexus! ☺

Yeah it's got some new features the original one was missing, like adjustable long press delay. I also think the block offensive words option is new? Or maybe I completely missed that before.
The only thing that's keeping me from switching back now is alternate keys on all the letters.

Groof

I didn't notice that was missing! OK that is annoying and very stupid, mind you I never use them anyway...

Yeah it's not a huge issue, but with a lower long press delay having them can be faster and more immersive, less switching etc. But I'm looking forward to seeing more updates and new features added now that it's on the Play Store.

Also looking forward to seeing updates for their other keyboards, or even better, have them integrated.

Nicktendo86

Yeah, I hope this is the future. Google put apps on the play store so they can update them without having to wait for an OS revision, if this is the way they are going it would be so sweet.

I almost went to tell my girlfriend to download this for her iPhone as she doesn't like the stock iOS keyboard before remembering you can't download keyboards on iOS hahahaha. God iOS really is so shit.

Groof

Yeah, I hope this is the future. Google put apps on the play store so they can update them without having to wait for an OS revision, if this is the way they are going it would be so sweet.

I almost went to tell my girlfriend to download this for her iPhone as she doesn't like the stock iOS keyboard before remembering you can't download keyboards on iOS hahahaha. God iOS really is so shit.

Don't you see? They're protecting their users from the dangerous 3rd parties.

Nicktendo86

Don't you see? They're protecting their users from the dangerous 3rd parties.

lol. My girlfriend was aghast when she tried to insert her curser into the middle of a word to amend a letter as she typing on her iPhone the other day and realised iOS doesn't allow you to do that. In fact all I've heard her do is moan about her IPhone 5, the latest one was the stupid clock app as it won't allow you to type in the time you want to set, you have to select it on that stupid wheel thing.

The only reason she wanted an iPhone was because she wanted an up to date, top of the range phone that was relatively small, she is not a fan of large screens. Why oh earth have Android OEMS not pushed out smaller versions of their flagships that don't skimp on specs? They are missing out a whole market here.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
how long until phones have 8GB of RAM?
We're probably getting 4GB phones next year, so...

lol. My girlfriend was aghast when she tried to insert her curser into the middle of a word to amend a letter as she typing on her iPhone the other day and realised iOS doesn't allow you to do that. In fact all I've heard her do is moan about her IPhone 5, the latest one was the stupid clock app as it won't allow you to type in the time you want to set, you have to select it on that stupid wheel thing.

The only reason she wanted an iPhone was because she wanted an up to date, top of the range phone that was relatively small, she is not a fan of large screens. Why oh earth have Android OEMS not pushed out smaller versions of their flagships that don't skimp on specs? They are missing out a whole market here.
Aren't Samsung and HTC are exactly doing that with the S4 Mini and the rumoured One Mini?

gcubed

Aren't Samsung and HTC are exactly doing that with the S4 Mini and the rumoured One Mini?

Skimming on specs though. The biggest complaint with the RAZR M is the damn resolution. In android small = budget so it never gets the full treatment

Groof

S4 Mini is mid-tier specced and not at all near the capabilities of the original S4. The One mini seems more on-par, but still lower specced than the One. I think what most people want is just the exact same phone except in a smaller body & screen.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Skimming on specs though. The biggest complaint with the RAZR M is the damn resolution. In android small = budget so it never gets the full treatment

S4 Mini is mid-tier specced and not at all near the capabilities of the original S4. The One mini seems more on-par, but still lower specced than the One. I think what most people want is just the exact same phone except in a smaller body & screen.
Looking at the S4 Mini specs, they fucked up with the choice of the screen resolution (960x540). Doesn't look so bad with the One Mini. I don't see 4.3-4.5" devices getting 1080p screens anytime soon so asking for high-end SoCs is ridiculous.

jokkir

Cerberus is giving life-time accounts today for new accounts being registered. Thanks to AppGratis!

Hi,
The license for your "username" Cerberus account has been activated for free, thanks to a promotion in collaboration with AppGratis.
Every day AppGratis offers one free app (plus discounts up to 90% off), hand-picked and reviewed by their team to make sure of their high quality.
Check out their app for great deals, it's free: http://bit.ly/13kIkk2
Please open Cerberus on your device and log in to access the app settings, you should not see the "Buy license" option anymore. This means that the lifetime license for your account is active.
Have a great day!
The Cerberus and AppGratis teams

Cerberus Play Store link:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lsdroid.cerberus

AppGratis Play Store link:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.imediapp.appgratis

If you already used up your free trial, get another device and register another email through there.

Groof

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
This-HTC-One-look-alike-comes-with-a-6.3-inch-screen-isnt-made-by-HTC.jpg

HTC One KIRF has a 6.3" screen, no shame

http://youtu.be/KUghB0ECqo4

gcubed

Looking at the S4 Mini specs, they fucked up with the choice of the screen resolution (960x540). Doesn't look so bad with the One Mini. I don't see 4.3-4.5" devices getting 1080p screens anytime soon so asking for high-end SoCs is ridiculous.

i dont want too high end of a soc, but not something so old. The One Mini is kind of an oddity because of the boomsound speakers. Its "mini" in the screen size i guess, but they ruin its mininess with the dual speakers.

Cerberus is giving life-time accounts today for new accounts being registered. Thanks to AppGratis!

If you already used up your free trial, get another device and register another email through there.

Installed and all set up, thanks!

I'm sure it is unrelated, but right after doing this none of my text messages are getting out. There wouldn't have been anything with this install that I could've screwed up on the outgoing texts, right?

Verizon btw.

Edit - fixed via phone reset - weird

Nicktendo86

^^

You get the zoomed in "magnifying glass" when you hold down to help make placing the cursor easier.

Don't hide your newly learned information from your girlfriend ;)
Thanks, I won't!

Edit: that's quite a nice solution actually but not nearly as obvious as the android way.

And with every new Tegra, Nvidia's usual bullshit continues.

Tegra 4 and Tegra 4MX for smartphones are delayed to next year, Nvidia blames the carriers.

Cipherr

Cerberus must be getting slammed, it took me like 10 minutes to get my account registered just now. Kept timing out when trying to reach their servers. And my connection is just fine.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
And with every new Tegra, Nvidia's usual bullshit continues.

Tegra 4 and Tegra 4MX for smartphones are delayed to next year, Nvidia blames the carriers.

Is this all Tegra 4 shit or just the smartphone stuff? Is the tablet stuff still a go? Didn't someone just announce a new tablet using Tegra 4 coming soon?

Anyways my god tech companies like NVIDIA and MS need to get their shit in order.

Is this all Tegra 4 shit or just the smartphone stuff? Is the tablet stuff still a go? Didn't someone just announce a new tablet using Tegra 4 coming soon?

Anyways my god tech companies like NVIDIA and MS need to get their shit in order.

Just for smartphones. Sorry if that wasn't clear enough.

ok, not as bad, but my point still stands. By this time next year intel will have more market share in mobile then Tegra.

It's still pretty bad for Nvidia, considering they delayed the Tegra 4 for the smaller weaker Tegra 4i, which was specifically developed for smartphones, only to have everything delayed again.

Yes, the way apple does cursor placement, etc is much better then android, its hard to get to a specific spot in android

ok, not as bad, but my point still stands. By this time next year intel will have more market share in mobile then Tegra.

Word that magnifying glass thing is genius for cursor placement. Also eveyr year is the year nvidia finally makes up some ground lol.

Don't worry, Tegra 5 will ship on time in H2 2014. They said so.

GatorBait

Finally got the new Gmail app, even though I still don't have the new label/folder thingys. My god, the "pull to refresh" in the app is awesome. Are there any other Google apps that have pull to refresh? I'm really hoping that action becomes an Android developer reference that others incorporate into their apps.

jokkir

Note 2 or Optimus G? What's better? The only reason I'm leaning towards Optimus G is because it can practically be made into a Nexus 4 with all the dev support.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Note 2 or Optimus G? What's better? The only reason I'm leaning towards Optimus G is because it can practically be made into a Nexus 4 with all the dev support.

Why not Nexus 4?

Oh and AMOLED equals too many lols at how garbage it is.

no, the S4 mini is pretty gimped and the HTC Half is only 720p

penabled or .. uhh .. 1080p? and the Note II has CM!

people want the impossible really. when these devices are laid out, they use up every inch of space. i mean we've all seen the teardowns, you can't just shrink them down, cuts have to be made. and even if it were possible, just shrinking them down would mean increased heat, and thermal footprint is a big part of layout and design in the first place.

I'm ok with 720p if you can give me a 4" screen, small phone, good battery life and decent performance at a very affordable price. Don't give me that for $600

very affordable price is another issue. making the lower priced 'mini' version a better value is counter intuitive when they want to sell their profitable flagship in high volume numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom