• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I can't believe we have no new OS yet. It's been a year.

gcubed

people want the impossible really. when these devices are laid out, they use up every inch of space. i mean we've all seen the teardowns, you can't just shrink them down, cuts have to be made. and even if it were possible, just shrinking them down would mean increased heat, and thermal footprint is a big part of layout and design in the first place.

very affordable price is another issue. making the lower priced 'mini' version a better value is counter intuitive when they want to sell their profitable flagship in high volume numbers.

very affordable would be in relation to flagship. $99 on contract, 450 or so off? I dont want the same exact phone shrunk. I'll take a newer revision dual core with a lower specced GPU and a 720p screen. Its not competing against the flagships. HTC is off to a good start, its just not mini enough

very affordable would be in relation to flagship. $99 on contract, 450 or so off? I dont want the same exact phone shrunk. I'll take a newer revision dual core with a lower specced GPU and a 720p screen. Its not competing against the flagships. HTC is off to a good start, its just not mini enough

Samsung is off to a pretty good start then. it's actually small and has a Snapdragon 400! ok, so it's qHD instead of 720p, but i mean...

QpgAwGJ.png

SimleuqiR

I can't believe we have no new OS yet. It's been a year.

The carriers and OEMs won mang!!
It's over! Don't expect fast pace OS updates like we used to.

I think Google felt the pressure of these companies not liking how fast they were making their products look old and outdated.

Groof

The carriers and OEMs won mang!!
It's over! Don't expect fast pace OS updates like we used to.

I think Google felt the pressure of these companies not liking how fast they were making their products look old and outdated.

Hence most stock apps now up on the Play Store. OS updates will probably be fewer and further between, and be pseudo-updated through app updates instead.
That way OEMs can play catch-up so they'll stop moaning instead of getting their shit together and actually work faster.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Google should rejigger Android so that users can install OS updates through the Play Store. Bam, sidestep carriers and make things awesome for everyone.

Google should rejigger Android so that users can install OS updates through the Play Store. Bam, sidestep carriers and make things awesome for everyone.

It's not that simple; you cannot simply update from Android 4.1.2 to 4.2.2 on a Sense/TouchWiz phone, they have to reconfigure them

Screens test: HTC One vs. Samsung Galaxy S4

The two hottest flagship Android smartphones right now, the HTC One and the Samsung Galaxy S4, both earned CNET's Editors' Choice Awards for their stellar designs, massive feature sets, and overall appeal.

So which one has the better screen?

In the tradition of our original screens tests last year, we set out to answer that very question. We used a combination of objective measurements courtesy of the same expensive test gear we use to evaluate and calibrate HDTVs, and subjective observations courtesy of our priceless, expert eyes.

SPOILER ALERT:
"the Samsung Galaxy S4 has the better screen"

gcubed

2012 SoC has an Adreno 225 GPU, 2013 SD400 has a 305. they're similar, but improvements have been made.

Ah, well then put a 720p screen on it and I'm on board. What's the battery size?

The one mini is great if they dropped boom sound to keep the package smaller. The nice thing with the M is the edge to edge screen

Ah, well then put a 720p screen on it and I'm on board. What's the battery size?

The one mini is great if they dropped boom sound to keep the package smaller. The nice thing with the M is the edge to edge screen

1900 mAh. pretty good for a phone that size.

and yeah, qHD is unfortunate, but i'm guessing that means much higher yields for their AMOLED screens.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
After one and a half day of texting with the Google Keyboard, I went back to SwiftKey. I noticed that my typing did get a little bit faster after getting used to the layout, but it wasn't fast enough. Still felt like I had to press the backspace button too many times to correct mistakes. Also, is there an option anywhere so that it auto spaces after you put a period? It's one of the things I didn't like.

I'll still keep it, but SwiftKey remains supreme for my typing needs.

3phemeral

Google's prediction algorithm leaves a lot to be desired. Plus, it requires a lot more accurate swypes than SwiftKey does, which makes it pretty painful to use if you like to type quickly.

thespot84

i feel like since switching back to android stock keyboard from swiftkey that the keyboard shows up a lot quicker on screen when i select a text field. I can't help but think that swiftkey was the cause of a lot of lag. Anyone else see this?

i feel like since switching back to android stock keyboard from swiftkey that the keyboard shows up a lot quicker on screen when i select a text field. I can't help but think that swiftkey was the cause of a lot of lag. Anyone else see this?

I like swiftkey a lot and switched to the google keyboard. Just faster. Like the simplicity as well.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I wish the keyboard would insert a space after every comma.

rc213

So does anyone actually know why both chrome and the beta make devices catch fire?

When are they switching to the new rendering engine blink?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So does anyone actually know why both chrome and the beta make devices catch fire?

When are they switching to the new rendering engine blink?

They've been on Blink since the day they made the announcement, lol. It's just a stripped-down fork of WebKit.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Does anyone have a list of highly recommended Android apps? I just got a Nexus 4 and I don't really know what to download.

Groof

Switfkey's bootup is fuuuuucking slooooooow. One of the main reasons I can't bear to use it anymore.

Cipherr

Yes, and I did switch back to stock, that slow kb load time fucking sucks.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Lack of punctuation in the stock keyboard seems like a killer to me. No easy way to access commas, semi-colons, hyphens and all that good stuff without going to the separate list of punctuation and then back again. Unless I'm missing something. But for that, I'd be removing all other custom keyboards from my phone...

Groof

Lack of punctuation in the stock keyboard seems like a killer to me. No easy way to access commas, semi-colons, hyphens and all that good stuff without going to the separate list of punctuation and then back again. Unless I'm missing something. But for that, I'd be removing all other custom keyboards from my phone...

If you disable the voice input key it gets exchanged into a comma key. Otherwise long press on the period key and get your full set of options.

Bboy AJ

What? After everything shown at I/O and you guys are still whining?
You're only saying this because you're used to garbage like copy paste and MMS support being an update.

SimleuqiR

You're only saying this because you're used to garbage like copy paste and MMS support being an update.

This is the main reason I jumped away from the iPhone. I had the original iPhone and though the hardware supported MMS, fucking Apple never allowed the phone to have this feature. "You telling me I have to get a brand new iPhone model to get MMS support? My shitty Motorola flip phone supports MMS!!" The rest is history.

Bboy AJ

This is the main reason I jumped away from the iPhone. I had the original iPhone and though the hardware supported MMS, fucking Apple never allowed the phone to have this feature. "You telling me I have to get a brand new iPhone model to get MMS support? My shitty Motorola flip phone supports MMS!!" The rest is history.

I wish they had stuck to their guns on that one. It would have been nice to kill MMS and had something like iMessage ready to go already. Less power to the carriers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom