• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husker86

Everyone always mentions the $300 superphone, but no one says something about the 8 GB storage and no way to expand that. Superphone indeed. Not to mention LG's famous hardware quality.

Fine, $350.

Either way, it's almost half price for a few concessions. It's nice to have the choice. That is, if they keep up this pricing. We can't really call it a streak when it has only been for one Nexus device.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The storage will get better each year while the price will stay more or less the same. That's a short-term argument.

Also I've heard no one complain about the N4's quality (in fact, most say it's a massive step up over Samsung's plasticky Nexuses.) Most of the complaints seem to come from the glass back.

Plus hardware designed by Google, no shitty Samsung plastic, HTC idiotic buttons or hardware manufacturer logos on the front.

This too. If I'm paying $650 for a phone, it better be the best damn Android experience possible. And that isn't possible with the stock GS4 or One.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Nexus One aside, the Nexus 4 is far and away the nicest Nexus phone. I think it's the nicest, in fact, but I can see the N1 in contention.

gimmmick

If moto-x phone eventually turns into an upgraded moto razr m, that will probably be my next phone. I can live with a 720p screen if it ment better battery life, constant updates, a stock android experience and last but not least... a 4.3' screen that is pocketable.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I got a Samsung GS4 on Monday from my company, it's my first ever experience with a Droid device. I have to admit, it's actually pretty swell. I'm still working my way through some of the simple things since I haven't had time to do anything other than make calls and send emails. I'll check out the links in the OP for app recommendations.

rakhir

Guys, i don't know where to go with this, so sorry in advance...

I believe i was hacked. I have Galaxy s2 with 4.0.4 version Android (my provider doesn't yet have the option to upgrade to jelly bean... yeah, i know).
My phone started to behave strange while i was waiting on my bus. The voice commands started turning itself on randomly, the car settings were popping on and off. I've got a call in the middle of this that went to the speaker, even after i've turned it off....
Later my screen turned dark, music player went on.
I've finally stopped thinking it's a hardware problem (phone dropped for me yesterday, but was fine), turned it off and took out the SIM card.

What can i do now? Is there any antivirus software i could install? Or should i just purge whole phone and install new software? I don't know if i'm not throwing my phone insurance though...

Golgi_Apparati

Neo Member
I have a random question.

I really want to upgrade to the GS4, I'm on a bionic thats fading fast. I'm on Verizon and still have unlimited data, I'd be fine with switching to share everything but there is only one problem:

I do a ton of internet surfing on my phone at work and it jacks my data usage through the roof. I have access to a guest WiFi network here but I'm concerned about someone seeing what I'm doing. Would there be any way for them to tell its me looking at reddit all day? The only security required for the guest WiFi is a general password.

Thanks for the help!

gcubed

I have a random question.

I really want to upgrade to the GS4, I'm on a bionic thats fading fast. I'm on Verizon and still have unlimited data, I'd be fine with switching to share everything but there is only one problem:

I do a ton of internet surfing on my phone at work and it jacks my data usage through the roof. I have access to a guest WiFi network here but I'm concerned about someone seeing what I'm doing. Would there be any way for them to tell its me looking at reddit all day? The only security required for the guest WiFi is a general password.

Thanks for the help!

i dont think they would be able to pinpoint who it is via just a guest password on a non company controlled device. I have all of my devices set to my companies guest network as well.

Guys, i don't know where to go with this, so sorry in advance...

I believe i was hacked. I have Galaxy s2 with 4.0.4 version Android (my provider doesn't yet have the option to upgrade to jelly bean... yeah, i know).
My phone started to behave strange while i was waiting on my bus. The voice commands started turning itself on randomly, the car settings were popping on and off. I've got a call in the middle of this that went to the speaker, even after i've turned it off....
Later my screen turned dark, music player went on.
I've finally stopped thinking it's a hardware problem (phone dropped for me yesterday, but was fine), turned it off and took out the SIM card.

What can i do now? Is there any antivirus software i could install? Or should i just purge whole phone and install new software? I don't know if i'm not throwing my phone insurance though...

sounds like a hardware problem. i know someone who got their phone wet and random things would open and stuff when nothing was happening on the device, like the touch panel got a mind of it's own.

Xperia Z Ultra:

http://www.xperiablog.net/2013/06/0...triluminos-display-snapdragon-800-6-5mm-thin/

"Excitingly, it looks like the Xperia Z Ultra will mark a change of display type for the company’s smartphones and we hope it addresses some of the perceived shortcomings of the Xperia Z display, criticised by some for its poor viewing angles and contrast levels."

"The Xperia Z Ultra will also come with a new type of touch screen sensor that will allow input from either a stylus, pencil or pretty much anything. In this respect, we expect that Sony is continuing its relationship with Neonode (a Swedish company). Sony has integrated Neonode’s MultiSensing touch technology in its e-Readers for a number of years now."

"The handset will have plenty of power under the hood, armed with the Snapdragon 800 chipset including a 2.2GHz quad-core processor and Adreno 330 graphics. We haven’t seen any devices launch with this chipset, so it does make us question, when exactly the Xperia Z Ultra will end up hitting retail."

Very interesting phone. Confirms rumours I had heard earlier about any object input, it's supposed to be incredibly accurate as well, up there with Wacom.

If Xperiablog are publishing it then it's probably true.

RIP samsung we hardly knew yee

As Galaxy S4 sales lose steam, investors lose confidence in Samsung: http://phandroid.com/2013/06/07/samsung-stock-drops-galaxy-s4-sales/

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
HTC One + Beats Pill Speaker is only $99 today on AT&T's website. Granted I think they've sold out already or for now, but it's a good deal for people looking for a new contract phone.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=579849

packages-sku6730268-450x350.png

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The biggest problem I see going forward is we've gotten to a point where most Android phones are now good enough. All of the ICS + Flagships from 2012 are solid. Hard to get people to really want to upgrade when most people have phones that are good enough.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The biggest problem I see going forward is we've gotten to a point where most Android phones are now good enough. All of the ICS + Flagships from 2012 are solid. Hard to get people to really want to upgrade when most people have phones that are good enough.

I won't be happy until phones have 2560 x 1600 resolution.
FuqnPhm.gif

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
And also, 24 battery life with using 4G 100% of the time.
FuqnPhm.gif

(Screens and batteries are basically all I care about in tech lol, along with weight.)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
8 GB works out if you embrace the cloud (Play Music, Drive.) If you must have your entire music collection on you at all times, and/or download movies to watch on your phone (???), and/or play tons of games without cleaning your fridge, then I could see it not being enough for you.

Screens have already reached satisfactory levels (except for Sony apparently) so that's no longer one of my concerns.

Now all that's left to give a shit about is battery life, build quality, and camera. Camera's are almost getting to the point where they're all solid but some companies still have shoddy software. Build Quality is also reaching satisfactory levels for everyone but Samsung so that's almost there.

Battery life is the big one. Size as well. Reduced bezels seems to be the way of the future which is nice. Also it would be nice if manufacturers ditched 8 and 16gb storage for GOOD. If you're releasing a low-cost phone then make 16gb the minimum at worst.

Doopliss

Xperia Z Ultra:

http://www.xperiablog.net/2013/06/0...triluminos-display-snapdragon-800-6-5mm-thin/

"Excitingly, it looks like the Xperia Z Ultra will mark a change of display type for the company’s smartphones and we hope it addresses some of the perceived shortcomings of the Xperia Z display, criticised by some for its poor viewing angles and contrast levels."

"The Xperia Z Ultra will also come with a new type of touch screen sensor that will allow input from either a stylus, pencil or pretty much anything. In this respect, we expect that Sony is continuing its relationship with Neonode (a Swedish company). Sony has integrated Neonode’s MultiSensing touch technology in its e-Readers for a number of years now."

"The handset will have plenty of power under the hood, armed with the Snapdragon 800 chipset including a 2.2GHz quad-core processor and Adreno 330 graphics. We haven’t seen any devices launch with this chipset, so it does make us question, when exactly the Xperia Z Ultra will end up hitting retail."

Very interesting phone. Confirms rumours I had heard earlier about any object input, it's supposed to be incredibly accurate as well, up there with Wacom.

If Xperiablog are publishing it then it's probably true.
According to the video it requires 0.4mm bezel height for the touch thing... eww. I could be tempted by a ridiculously big phone, though.

Oyashiro

I currently have a GS3, but I'm thinking about selling it and getting an HTC One. If I sold my GS3, I'd be able to get the One for about 200 bucks or so. Do you guys I think it's a good deal? The One looks amazing on all fronts, the only thing I'm not totally convinced on is the camera, which is pretty shitty in daylight conditions.

I currently have a GS3, but I'm thinking about selling it and getting an HTC One. If I sold my GS3, I'd be able to get the One for about 200 bucks or so. Do you guys I think it's a good deal? The One looks amazing on all fronts, the only thing I'm not totally convinced on is the camera, which is pretty shitty in daylight conditions.

of course that's a good deal, also camera is good in daylight you just gotta know what you're doing with settings. Or just use auto-enhance, same shit.

It's better than the S3 in every single way! 1080p excellent screen, excellent build quality, better camera (especially in lowlight it's 100x better), better sound, better battery, better skin even if that's your thing, and more.

You asked if it was a good deal. Of course it's a good deal. Is it NECESSARY, now that's debatable.

ash_ag

So nice that the rumors of multiple OEMs providing Google Experience phones turns out to be true. :)

This is a step towards the right direction, and I'm saying that as a Nexus fan. Regardless to each user's choices, it's good that the superior Android experience will be available to multiple hardware, optimized and without compromise. Provided Moto X will also be GExp-enabled and the Xperia Z rumors are true, we have an option from each and every of the major manufacturers. Those five were also the founding OHA members.

Now I wonder who will make Nexus 5. I'm secretly hoping for HTC, but perhaps it's Sony's turn?

So nice that the rumors of multiple OEMs providing Google Experience phones turns out to be true. :)

This is a step towards the right direction, and I'm saying that as a Nexus fan. Regardless to each user's choices, it's good that the superior Android experience will be available to multiple hardware, optimized and without compromise. Provided Moto X will also be GExp-enabled and the Xperia Z rumors are true, we have an option from each and every of the major manufacturers. Those five were also the founding OHA members.

Now I wonder who will make Nexus 5. I'm secretly hoping for HTC, but perhaps it's Sony's turn?

I still think it will be LG.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
So a Xperia Z: Google Edition is indeed coming... I don't know why, but even after the S4 and One, this announcement is truly blowing out my mind. It's happening!

Cipherr

So seriously. What does everyone think about next years displays? Anyone think the flagships next year will raise the resolution again? Or will we finally have a second year in a row with a same standard res (1920x1080)?

So a Xperia Z: Google Edition is indeed coming... I don't know why, but even after the S4 and One, this announcement is truly blowing out my mind. It's happening!

the WSJ rumor from last year was true, it was just a year early. They said there would be multiple nexus devices from a bunch of manufacturers.

So seriously. What does everyone think about next years displays? Anyone think the flagships next year will raise the resolution again? Or will we finally have a second year in a row with a same standard res (1920x1080)?

resolutions will be the same but the types of screens and general screen tech will be different. Next year will be all about battery life, build quality, and general design (reduced bezels etc...) and less about specs.

It's going to have a very aggressive price as well from what I have heard. Sony have finally got their head out of their arse and are looking to attack the US market with a cheap, premium device with decent availability to get the Xperia brand out there and get their profile with carriers sorted so their regular devices can't be ignored.

With the price point I have heard I could see over 1m Xperia Z phones sold.

gcubed

It's going to have a very aggressive price as well from what I have heard. Sony have finally got their head out of their arse and are looking to attack the US market with a cheap, premium device with decent availability to get the Xperia brand out there and get their profile with carriers sorted so their regular devices can't be ignored.

With the price point I have heard I could see over 1m Xperia Z phones sold.

under 499?

under 499?

That's what I've heard. Two versions on sale. HSPA+ (C6602) for $449 and LTE (C6603) for $599.

At that price the HSPA+ version will do very good business.

Again it's all rumours right now, but if it works out the way my source has indicated it would be massive for Sony. Also they will come with the bootloader unlocked and they will work with flashtool, so any people who want to use them with stock Sony firmware could easily just load the World_Generic firmware on there and get the Sony experience also.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
That's what I've heard. Two versions on sale. HSPA+ (C6602) for $449 and LTE (C6603) for $599.

Again it's all rumours right now, but if it works out the way my source has indicated it would be massive for Sony. Also they will come with the bootloader unlocked and they will work with flashtool, so any people who want to use them with stock Sony firmware could easily just load the World_Generic firmware on there and get the Sony experience also.

SOLD

What price is the Nexus 4 in the US? Trying to get an idea of how it compares should it come to Britain Land.

Personally I'd rather the ZL as the Google Experience device, but I guess beggars can't be choosers.

What price is the Nexus 4 in the US? Trying to get an idea of how it compares should it come to Britain Land.

Personally I'd rather the ZL as the Google Experience device, but I guess beggars can't be choosers.

No plans to launch the Google Xperia Z outside of the US according to my source. I'm sure some enterprising individuals will go to New York and load up on the C6602 version and walk through the "Nothing to Declare" channel at Heathrow and sell them on Amazon marketplace for £349 or something like that.

No plans to launch the Google Xperia Z outside of the US according to my source. I'm sure some enterprising individuals will go to New York and load up on the C6602 version and walk through the "Nothing to Declare" channel at Heathrow and sell them on Amazon marketplace for £349 or something like that.

Darn, I had a feeling that might be the case.

Gosh darn it Googly, the Nexus 5 better be worth the wait!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom