• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cipherr

Everyone always mentions the $300 superphone, but no one says something about the 8 GB storage and no way to expand that. Superphone indeed. Not to mention LG's famous hardware quality.

Lol, then $350. Either way its an incredible deal for the level of hardware. You cannot downplay that at all. It definitely still fills a gap.

Seriously what is everyone's thoughts about the slowing Galaxy S4 sales. What do you attribute them to. All the investors are basically saying they're spreading themselves out too far with all the low end and mid end devices and whatnot, which people are opting for over the flagships (which also have thinner margins).

It seems like the VAST majority of android devices in the world are shitty cheap ones that were either bought at extremely low costs or were free on contract. That's why I think Google and Motorola are on the right track with the nexus 4 and upcoming Moto X. Try to bring the flagship phone to the low-mid end however you can.

Obviously I don't think google or samsung want the majority of android devices to be the cheap ones, but it's a tough thing to combat. If the S4 is faltering then what god is there! With apple about to launch their cheap stuff too it will only get tougher.

source if you aren't caught up on wtf I'm talking about: http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/06/07/downbeat-galaxy-s4-view-hits-samsung-shares/

Seriously what is everyone's thoughts about the slowing Galaxy S4 sales. What do you attribute them to. All the investors are basically saying they're spreading themselves out too far with all the low end and mid end devices and whatnot, which people are opting for over the flagships (which also have thinner margins).

It seems like the VAST majority of android devices in the world are shitty cheap ones that were either bought at extremely low costs or were free on contract. That's why I think Google and Motorola are on the right track with the nexus 4 and upcoming Moto X. Try to bring the flagship phone to the low-mid end however you can.

Obviously I don't think google or samsung want the majority of android devices to be the cheap ones, but it's a tough thing to combat. If the S4 is faltering then what god is there! With apple about to launch their cheap stuff too it will only get tougher.

I'll need to look at the figures tomorrow, but I would guess that GS4+HTC1+XZ sales = GS3 sales. The Android competition is significantly stronger this year so the GS3 success is not easily replicable. Last year Sony and HTC were basically non-entities in the high end, the One X was lambasted as having a terrible battery and limited storage space with no expansion and the Xperia S was using very outdated hardware with a 4.3" screen vs 4.8". This year all three have an almost common hardware platform, the performance delta is negligible for all but the heaviest power users and the battery life on all three is about the same while HTC have used 32GB as standard to solve their storage issues, but the GS4 doesn't have as decent a design as the Xperia Z or HTC One.

I really, really believe that if Sony had used an AH-IPS screen, launched with 4.2.2 and S600 at 1.9GHz in March Samsung would be in very, very deep shit right now across Europe and Asia and they would have had to cut GS4 margins in order to fight the battle. They are already losing high end market share to Sony and HTC (especially the former) in those two regions, with a stronger Xperia Z their market share decline in that market segment would be under serious pressure. Samsung have been very lucky that Sony fucked up and gave them a reprieve this year.

I'll need to look at the figures tomorrow, but I would guess that GS4+HTC1+XZ sales = GS3 sales. The Android competition is significantly stronger this year so the GS3 success is not easily replicable. Last year Sony and HTC were basically non-entities in the high end, the One X was lambasted as having a terrible battery and limited storage space with no expansion and the Xperia S was using very outdated hardware with a 4.3" screen vs 4.8". This year all three have an almost common hardware platform, the performance delta is negligible for all but the heaviest power users and the battery life on all three is about the same while HTC have used 32GB as standard to solve their storage issues, but the GS4 doesn't have as decent a design as the Xperia Z or HTC One.

I really, really believe that if Sony had used an AH-IPS screen, launched with 4.2.2 and S600 at 1.9GHz in March Samsung would be in very, very deep shit right now across Europe and Asia and they would have had to cut GS4 margins in order to fight the battle. They are already losing high end market share to Sony and HTC (especially the former) in those two regions, with a stronger Xperia Z their market share decline in that market segment would be under serious pressure. Samsung have been very lucky that Sony fucked up and gave them a reprieve this year.

That's also a good point but I don't think competition is the only reason. They're basically falling into their own trap by spreading themselves out too much. Sony will run into the exact same problem if they keep up their trend of releasing 100 different devices. How many HTCs does it take before companies learn their lesson that this is not the way to go.

You're probably right about europe and asia if Sony did a better job, but even in the USA things aren't as rosy. Their growth is slowing down there too while Apple's seems to be going up. Android growth in general has been in negatives. People are getting the cheap ass phones and are saying "good enough" or they're just getting iphones apparently. Web traffic reports back that up as well.

Samsung isn't in a dire place or anything but they're trending down, as is android. These manufacturers need to get their fucking shit together. It seems like NOBODY has a vision here. Props to google and motorola for having one, and HTC for sort of having one. But everyone else is trying to hit every market in the world. There needs to be a singular vision.

Linius

A big problem for Sony I notice over here is that people who are not that much 'into' phones don't even know Sony made a beautiful highend phone. Yet everyone knows the S4 is out and Samsung is 'awesome111!11 omg'. Sony really should be more out there with advertising. Samsung was all over the place here at public billboards and what not and Sony only a little. Such a shame.

SimleuqiR

source if you aren't caught up on wtf I'm talking about: http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/06/...amsung-shares/

Emerging markets can't afford the iPhones and S4s of the world. These are the markets that Nokia and Blackberry are somewhat relevant. So they should have low end phones, not sure how many though. But at least you want a brand presence so that in time these markets can be profitable at the high end side.

gcubed

The GS3 and the like are still very capable phones and you don't have a user base that needs to buy what you make every year

Combine that with actual choices this year as well. (And some bad press)

Groof

I think you're all spot on. However, the GS3 made a huge huge splash all over the world and I think there's a lot of people who have one and are content with it until they really need a new phone. Hell, I even know some people who are still getting the S3 over the S4 because it's cheaper.
Most people already got their device of choice at this point. No one other than the enthusiast crowd or people who like switching device year to year are going to get a new one and that's what we're probably seeing here.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I think you're all spot on. However, the GS3 made a huge huge splash all over the world and I think there's a lot of people who have one and are content with it until they really need a new phone. Hell, I even know some people who are still getting the S3 over the S4 because it's cheaper.
Most people already got their device of choice at this point. No one other than the enthusiast crowd or people who like switching device year to year are going to get a new one and that's what we're probably seeing here.
And this is also where the S4 looking just like the S3 doesn't help. A lot of people won't see the point of upgrading for the exact* same phone.

Nicktendo86

And this is also where the S4 looking just like the S3 doesn't help. A lot of people won't see the point of upgrading for the exact* same phone.
The s4 is, in a lot of ways, a pointless upgrade. I really feel they have fucked it up, and good. I hope they really look at themselves and try a new design template for the s5, preferably with high end materials.

Groof

The s4 is, in a lot of ways, a pointless upgrade. I really feel they have fucked it up, and good. I hope they really look at themselves and try a new design template for the s5, preferably with high end materials.

Absolutely. While the S2->S4 is a viable upgrade, the S3->S4 isn't really one. And there are more S3s out there than S2s.

That's also a good point but I don't think competition is the only reason. They're basically falling into their own trap by spreading themselves out too much. Sony will run into the exact same problem if they keep up their trend of releasing 100 different devices. How many HTCs does it take before companies learn their lesson that this is not the way to go.

You're probably right about europe and asia if Sony did a better job, but even in the USA things aren't as rosy. Their growth is slowing down there too while Apple's seems to be going up. Android growth in general has been in negatives. People are getting the cheap ass phones and are saying "good enough" or they're just getting iphones apparently. Web traffic reports back that up as well.

Samsung isn't in a dire place or anything but they're trending down, as is android. These manufacturers need to get their fucking shit together. It seems like NOBODY has a vision here. Props to google and motorola for having one, and HTC for sort of having one. But everyone else is trying to hit every market in the world. There needs to be a singular vision.

Yup. Sony release too many fucking phones and the names are way too confusing. They should call the phablet Xperia Z Ultra, not Xperia ZU, the former makes sense while the latter doesn't.

I think Sony has a plan, to make the thinnest of every device currently available. Thinnest phone (check), thinnest tablet (check) and now thinnest phablet (probably check). Their problem is all the other shitty devices. It's fine to have a mid-range, but only make one, or possibly two and one low end. Not 5 different mid-rangers and 5 different low-ends. It's ridiculous.

HTC still haven't recovered to their 2011 profits/revenue high, so while their strategy was probably wrong, it was still better than what they are currently doing or did last year.

A big problem for Sony I notice over here is that people who are not that much 'into' phones don't even know Sony made a beautiful highend phone. Yet everyone knows the S4 is out and Samsung is 'awesome111!11 omg'. Sony really should be more out there with advertising. Samsung was all over the place here at public billboards and what not and Sony only a little. Such a shame.

The advertising in the UK has been pretty solid actually, the UK, Germany, France, Spain and Italy are the nations in Europe where Sony have made the biggest market share gains over last year. Not sure about the others, I don't remember any of the figures.

The GS3 and the like are still very capable phones and you don't have a user base that needs to buy what you make every year

Combine that with actual choices this year as well. (And some bad press)

Next year is going to be huge, potentially 60m GS3 users looking for an upgrade. This year was GS2 and iPhone 4, next year is much, much more important. All three major Android OEMs will be looking to smash it out of the park, and all three will likely be looking at the same hardware platform again (Qualcomm) so it really boils down to design and customisation. I think Samsung will have an even bigger battle on their hands next year.

I agree that there is a lot of people content with S3s, but IMO that doesn't hold as an excuse. Yes if an S3 owner walked into a store and looked at the S4 they'd look at their phone...then the S4....and be like uhhhhh ok then and walk out. BUT, the reason I say it's not a completely valid excuse is that apple does it all the time with the 3GS/4S and soon 5S. Yet it doesn't stop them from not only having people upgrade but also attracting new customers.

Emerging markets can't afford the iPhones and S4s of the world. These are the markets that Nokia and Blackberry are somewhat relevant. So they should have low end phones, not sure how many though. But at least you want a brand presence so that in time these markets can be profitable at the high end side.

that's true too and I mentioned that, but with apple about to attack that market, it won't be long now before they eventually move on. The difference is other company's have low-end phones, but their all pieces of shit. Whereas Apple's "low-end" phone is rumored to be quite similar to the iphone 5. Sounds like a 4S/5 hybrid with a mix of ipod touch. Which is substantially better quality than other low/mid-end stuff out there.

And yeah Sony has a completely different ball game to prepare for when they try to make a full effort at penetrating the US market. The shit they're doing won't really fly, and marketing is another huge ass issue unto itself. I genuinely think the size of samsung and the way they've saturated the market is hurting other manufacturers in different ways. It'll be interesting to see what's going on a year or 2 years from now in the android space. No one fucking knows. That's the problem in a nutshell. I can tell you exactly what will be happening the apple world. Android is a jungle.

It's better than the S3 in every single way! 1080p excellent screen, excellent build quality, better camera (especially in lowlight it's 100x better), better sound, better battery, better skin even if that's your thing, and more.

You asked if it was a good deal. Of course it's a good deal. Is it NECESSARY, now that's debatable.

better camera? and i noticed you said "excellent" build quality and not "better"

Cipherr

Ill need to see the numbers before I jump on whats up with the S4. Supply chain rumblings and whatnot have led me to make some bad predictions in the past. And the stock prices only say so much too.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Galaxy-S4-Zoom.png

As you might know Samsung going is to show new products on June 20th in London. One of these products will be the Galaxy S4 Zoom. SamMobile received the first photo this Wednesday and today we will give you the first picture. The Galaxy S4 Zoom uses a 4.3” qHD sAMOLED display a 1.6GHz dual-core processor, 16 megapixel camera sensor with optical zoom, 8 GB intern with extern micro SD up to 64 GB, Bleutooth 4.0 LE Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, and A-GPS. You are able to call with the Galaxy S4 Zoom, Samsung added a shutter button to the the device and the volume rockers or zoom buttons are on the right side. The Galaxy S4 Zoom runs on Samsung’s own Touch-Wiz Nature UX interface with Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on it.

The Galaxy S4 Zoom will be Samsung last product of the Galaxy S4 range. Samsung already has the Galaxy S4, Galaxy S4 Active and Galaxy S4 mini. As you might notice the Galaxy S4 Zoom looks a lot like the Galaxy S4 mini.

The Galaxy S4 Zoom is Samsung’s first cameraphone based on Android.

http://www.sammobile.com/2013/06/07...amsung-galaxy-s4-zoom-product-photo-showed-up

Groof

What in the flying FUCK is that suppose to be

Yo I just noticed the updated stock keyboard doesn't do the stupid pop up when saving a new word

SimleuqiR

makes the Galaxy Camera look like Zoe Saldana.

Talking about sticks:
The week leading up to Google I/O, we received a tip that mentioned the possibility of Google announcing a product called Chromekey. At the time, we thought this was going to be an HDMI-style dongle that could plug in to any monitor or TV in order to make Chrome OS accessible on any screen at a low price point. While we still believe there is an HDMI-style dongle in the works called Chromekey, new information points towards it being more of a receiver, that can interact with your smartphone, tablet, or computer to extend not only a Chrome experience, but also streaming video and other content to your TV.

Miracast your phone onto a TV that doesn't have the feature? On top of that it doubles as a Chrome PC?

So is chromekey google's attempt at combining airplay and apple tv style of thing. Sounds interesting and cool but also iffy. But for 35 bucks why not.

edit: sounds kind of like a hassle. Takes up an hdmi port and a usb plug in an outlet? Or what? It seems confusing FFS google just do a built in solution and make it the new android standard. This just sounds weird.

Talon

So is chromekey google's attempt at combining airplay and apple tv style of thing. Sounds interesting and cool but also iffy. But for 35 bucks why not.

edit: sounds kind of like a hassle. Takes up an hdmi port and a usb plug in an outlet? Or what? It seems confusing FFS google just do a built in solution and make it the new android standard. This just sounds weird.
You forget that Google created the world's most expensive paperweight two years ago.

At least it wound up being free.

Samsung please.... Make it stop. How many s4 variants has that been now? Mini, active, camera, what am I missing?

this is probably why the S4 sales are low... all the other devices with S4 in it are cutting into sales!

So is chromekey google's attempt at combining airplay and apple tv style of thing. Sounds interesting and cool but also iffy. But for 35 bucks why not. edit: sounds kind of like a hassle. Takes up an hdmi port and a usb plug in an outlet? Or what? It seems confusing FFS google just do a built in solution and make it the new android standard. This just sounds weird.
USB plug in the back of the TV. Outlet only if the TV doesn't have one. Most do.

This qualifies as "design by supply chain" in my book.

"We have camera parts sitting around."
"We have smart phone parts sitting around."
"Let's combine them."
Indeed. Those 13 megapixel Exmor RS modules are in short supply and the Galaxy Camera had some buzz...

gcubed

I agree that there is a lot of people content with S3s, but IMO that doesn't hold as an excuse. Yes if an S3 owner walked into a store and looked at the S4 they'd look at their phone...then the S4....and be like uhhhhh ok then and walk out. BUT, the reason I say it's not a completely valid excuse is that apple does it all the time with the 3GS/4S and soon 5S. Yet it doesn't stop them from not only having people upgrade but also attracting new customers.

that's true too and I mentioned that, but with apple about to attack that market, it won't be long now before they eventually move on. The difference is other company's have low-end phones, but their all pieces of shit. Whereas Apple's "low-end" phone is rumored to be quite similar to the iphone 5. Sounds like a 4S/5 hybrid with a mix of ipod touch. Which is substantially better quality than other low/mid-end stuff out there.

And yeah Sony has a completely different ball game to prepare for when they try to make a full effort at penetrating the US market. The shit they're doing won't really fly, and marketing is another huge ass issue unto itself. I genuinely think the size of samsung and the way they've saturated the market is hurting other manufacturers in different ways. It'll be interesting to see what's going on a year or 2 years from now in the android space. No one fucking knows. That's the problem in a nutshell. I can tell you exactly what will be happening the apple world. Android is a jungle.

The user base is different between the two. Samsung doesn't have quite the cult (or at least as big) around it for new products. Android, in part due to it's huge population and availability has no real vendor dependence (bad word, following, no base that drives a need to get a yearly refresh)

I will preorder a $35 chromekey the minute it's available

rrs

I can't wait for more developments on low-mid end phone market myself, I'm sure as hell not paying more than $150 off-contract for a new phone or contract prices when I can get all the cell service I need for $35/month (even if it limits my phone selection thanks to CDMA and Virgin Mobile).

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
It's better than the S3 in every single way! 1080p excellent screen, excellent build quality, better camera (especially in lowlight it's 100x better), better sound, better battery, better skin even if that's your thing, and more.

You asked if it was a good deal. Of course it's a good deal. Is it NECESSARY, now that's debatable.

After I saw the latest software leak for the GS3, the GS4 skin will make it's way to the 3. I have a glitch on my account where I can upgrade every year and I was really looking hard to get a GS4. I just didn't see a reason, software wise, to upgrade. If the 4 had the latest android build, I would in a heartbeat.

I can't wait for more developments on low-mid end phone market myself, I'm sure as hell not paying more than $150 off-contract for a new phone or contract prices when I can get all the cell service I need for $35/month (even if it limits my phone selection thanks to CDMA and Virgin Mobile).

well, the latest developments on Virgin and Boost are ... the GS3 is about to drop on or around the 12th for $399.99, and Virgin is apparently getting the Samsung Galaxy Ring for $179.99, whatever that is... Galaxy Victory @ 187.50 (25% off) right now is probably something to jump on for people who want to get on Virgin Mobile.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The biggest thing I miss switching from my iPad to my Nexus 10 is not being able to use AirPlay with my Apple TV. Google needs to get on this asap already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom