• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

ash_ag

Darn, I had a feeling that might be the case.

Gosh darn it Googly, the Nexus 5 better be worth the wait!!

Images will probably be available in AOSP (or, worst case scenario, xda), so, you'll be able to flash the ROM to your already existing phone (be it GS4, One or XPZ) with minimum effort -- that is, unlocking the bootloader.

malyce

Samsung is starting to fuck up. They blew their load too early with the sub-par GS4 release/update...especially considering how much momentum the GS3 still had... Should be an interesting year...

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I don't see what's so subpar about the GS4. Other than a new design, what else could you have wanted? If you're a GS3 fan, the GS4 is right in line with it.

I think he's just saying there's nothing special about the gs4 ala iPhone 4 to 4s.

nah, it's even worse than the 4->4S because Samsung is actually adding many of the new features to the previous model year.

but seriously, i bet way more people can see the difference between a GS3 and GS4 than can tell a 4 vs 4S.

malyce

I don't see what's so subpar about the GS4. Other than a new design, what else could you have wanted? If you're a GS3 fan, the GS4 is right in line with it.
Samsung should have taken a page out of Apple's book and repeat what they did with the iPhone 4. The market doesnt really need a GS3 successor right now. People are content with the GS3. If you already own a GS3, whats so compelling about the 4 that would make it worth the upgrade? They could have easily held off till august, with a note 3 in Nov/Dec. Hell they could have even swapped the GN/GS release schedules and released the S4 in time for christmas. New design and more thought out/mature features.

Samsung should have taken a page out of Apple's book and repeat what they did with the iPhone 4. The market doesnt really need a GS3 successor right now. People are content with the GS3. If you already own a GS3, whats so compelling about the 4 that would make it worth the upgrade? They could have easily held off till august, with a note 3 in Nov/Dec. New design and more thought out/mature features.

people with a GS3 don't need a GS4. people with a GS2...

nah, it's even worse than the 4->4S because Samsung is actually adding many of the new features to the previous model year.

but seriously, i bet way more people can see the difference between a GS3 and GS4 than can tell a 4 vs 4S.

Actually that's exactly what they did with iOS 6. The only thing the 4 didn't have was Siri.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Samsung Galaxy Nebula
--------------------------------------------
Samsung, LG and HTC show you how fanboy is done:
2csTDDP.png

ash_ag

Hah, glad someone picked up on my late night musing. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense!

Not overnight, but it's definitely happening. ;)

Chrome's most powerful tool is that it's a platform that can act atop each and every other platform. The Chrome OS experience is becoming more and more integrated onto traditional PCs regardless the operating system, and I think that we should expect Chrome packaged apps on Android (and probably iOS) rather soon.

Ydahs

Finally bought a white Nexus 4 after my S2 started to crash on me every second day.

I expected better performance, but this thing is lightning. Not only that, the battery life is something else.

Only disappointing thing so far is that the screen colours appear to be washed out, but that might just be a natural transition from an OLED screen to an LCD screen. I'll get used to it overtime.

edit: oh and it already slipped off my armchair and fell onto a thankfully thick carpet. Not much friction with a glass back unfortunately.

besiktas1

A few stock keyboard questions (nexus4).
How do I get the number pad always appearing above the letters like my note 2 does?
When using Google chrome I want a .com button too...
Thanks

Shai-Tan

Banned
alright, my iphone was just stolen and I remote erased it. i figure I'll replace it with a Galaxy S4.

Is there a podcasting app that stands out on Android? I tried a few on my Nexus 7 but they seem to have bad interfaces (it's possible I'm just not used to the flow). Beyondpod in particular seemed too busy. I'd like something simple like Instacast

PriitV

alright, my iphone was just stolen and I remote erased it. i figure I'll replace it with a Galaxy S4.

Is there a podcasting app that stands out on Android? I tried a few on my Nexus 7 but they seem to have bad interfaces (it's possible I'm just not used to the flow). Beyondpod in particular seemed too busy. I'd like something simple like Instacast
Pocket casts

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Thanks. Before I install, do you use it personally? I saw your second link before when I looked into this sort of app. Twonky didn't work. And for the app you linked, there are some disconcerting reviews.

I have an app on my google tv box called GTV Box (it's called something else now) that spoofs devices into thinking it's an apple tv box.

My MBP can connect to it and mirror the MBP screen on my tv with some tinkering.

Guess it depends on what you need it to do.

Samsung is starting to fuck up. They blew their load too early with the sub-par GS4 release/update...especially considering how much momentum the GS3 still had... Should be an interesting year...

Apple is starting to fuck up. They blew their load too early with the sub-par iPhone 5 release/update...especially considering how much momentum the iPhone 4S still had... Should be an interesting year...

Nope, not seeing it. Samsung is as big as Apple now, you can't expect 50-100% YoY growth in perpetuity, unless you're an idiot. I should buy more Samsung stock while idiots are dumping it.

I just accidentally discovered Auto Awesome on Google+, which turns a series of photos into an animated GIF. It was apparently (?) announced at I/O, but I never heard a thing about it.

Awesome feature.

Sober

I don't know if it recently is a problem I just noticed now but on the default keyboard in portrait mode, if I try to tap m/?/whatever symbol, half the time it'll just tap the backspace key instead, and sometimes it'll hit n or something also. Is there a problem with the sensors on the screen or did I develop some sort of deadzone after I dropped it or something?

edit: my k key and the period as well

I set a profile photo for my hangouts app, which I guess is the same as a Google+ profile photo, and now my gallery app has a folder called "profile photos" that cannot be deleted. How can I get that folder to stop syncing to my phone?

Dumb.

Also the hangouts app frequently contacted list? Die in a fire. Completely fucked. I have a person on there that isn't even in my contact list anymore. Can't delete or edit or nothing. Duplicate contacts. Just an ugly mess.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I set a profile photo for my hangouts app, which I guess is the same as a Google+ profile photo, and now my gallery app has a folder called "profile photos" that cannot be deleted. How can I get that folder to stop syncing to my phone?

Dumb.

Also the hangouts app frequently contacted list? Die in a fire. Completely fucked. I have a person on there that isn't even in my contact list anymore. Can't delete or edit or nothing. Duplicate contacts. Just an ugly mess.

Go into your Gmail contacts and make sure he's deleted. Also Fine & Merge to be really thorough.

Go into your Gmail contacts and make sure he's deleted. Also Fine & Merge to be really thorough.
I did. Contact isn't on my gmail. I do remember that when I deleted this contact from my phone it said something about "this contact will be deleted from people app, but something something read only will not be deleted."

Not sure what that meant. Think it has something to do with this.

Also for the picasa profile photo synching to my gallery, I do NOT have Google photos or Google+ checkmarked to be synched under my sync settings. I'm on stock android for the record.

Edit: http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...p-picasa-downloading-albums-my-nexus-4-a.html

Looks like people with a nexus are shit out of luck. Because for some reason that "sync picasa photos" option isn't on stock/nexus 4. Why? No idea.

Any decent screens and setups for this Action Launcher? I saw something on Android Beautiful which used the SSLauncher, but it was laggy as hell and gave up.

ash_ag

I don't know if it recently is a problem I just noticed now but on the default keyboard in portrait mode, if I try to tap m/?/whatever symbol, half the time it'll just tap the backspace key instead, and sometimes it'll hit n or something also. Is there a problem with the sensors on the screen or did I develop some sort of deadzone after I dropped it or something?

edit: my k key and the period as well

Some keyboards have methods to slightly adapt on each user's typing quirks -- I know Sense's one has that. Maybe something went wrong with that; try to find the Keyboard app in Settings -> Apps and delete cache and data if able. That may help.

Revoh

So my Nexus 4 shattered yesterday and I bought another, but now I need a case...anyone have any recommendations?

I'm using a Ringke Fusion.
I dropped my Nexus yesterday from about 2 meters high and the phone didn't even scratch. IMO that's a good case for the N4.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I'm using a Ringke Fusion.
I dropped my Nexus yesterday from about 2 meters high and the phone didn't even scratch. IMO that's a good case for the N4.

While the Fusion might not be the best case in terms of button feel it does provide excellent protection.

I second Revoh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom