• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhead

Redarse
When's Floating Notifications or Paranoid Android's Halo project getting out of beta?

Samsung will hire this guy. Gotta make sure TouchWiz keeps up with the times.
All jokes aside I hope Samsung is inspired to change Touchwiz. They've been pulling the same excuses as Apple fans about the 'natural' metaphors that their large existing customer-base is used but I say fuck that shit. Samsung should at least get on the Holo bandwagon.

bob page

When's Floating Notifications or Paranoid Android's Halo project getting out of beta?

All jokes aside I hope Samsung is inspired to change Touchwiz. They've been pulling the same excuses as Apple fans about the 'natural' metaphors that their large existing customer-base is used but I say fuck that shit. Samsung should at least get on the Holo bandwagon.
Floating Notifications landed on the store yesterday I think.

XDKAVy7.gif

Alpende

Guys, yesterday I installed Paranoid Android and it worked fine. I was playing around with Nova Launcher and suddenly the dock changed to the sides in landscape mode. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the dock back at the bottom again.

I thought it was Nova Launcher's fault and deleted it but it didn't help.

Any sollutions?

Talon

So I got the new Google Maps. This shit is awesome.
The arrow opens Control Center, which is why people are saying the lockscreen layout in the iOS7 beta is silly/confusing.
I think Gruber's right. These interaction languages are familiar enough to users at this point to where they can remove the literal visuals.

The lock screen is actually not that bad, when you consider that you can use the whole screen to unlock the phone now.

I just thought the Vine was pretty funny and wanted you guys to have some fun, considering the usual state of this thread and what gets usually interpreted as "humor" in here.

Blackhead

Redarse
I think Gruber's right. These interaction languages are familiar enough to users at this point to where they can remove the literal visuals.
It's actually iOS developers and Apple aficionados that are making that lockscreen mistake and you think mainstream users won't be confused? Ok...

Talon

It's actually iOS developers and Apple aficionados that are making that lockscreen mistake and you think mainstream users won't be confused? Ok...
I'm talking about what he said prior to the conference.

Sliding to the right is the known gesture with the iPhone. I'm saying that "track" is superfluous enough to remove at this point. These visualizations were there to introduce people to using a touchscreen interface every single day. The buttons, the sliding track, etc., users get it at this point.

SimleuqiR

http://vr-zone.com/articles/exclusi...ate-october-will-be-well-optimized/36950.html

The latest news from our sources is that Google will take the wraps off their truly next-generation Android OS, a.k.a 5.0 Key Lime Pie some time in late October.

Our sources left us with some more info regarding the OS. Android 5.0 will be an optimized OS and will run well even on devices with 512 MB of RAM. The last time that happened, we were in 2010 running Gingerbread (Android 2.3). Perhaps this is Google’s next big push, optimizing the crap out of their (admittedly unoptimized OS).

This optimization rumor would be awesome if it became true. My Galaxy Nexus would probably scream with 5.0.

Zeppu

Google should just release 5.0 as a rom and it'll just be a hotpatch which changes your version number. Doesn't need to support new features or anything, as long as it's the latest version.

It'll look great in pie charts.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
http://vr-zone.com/articles/exclusi...ate-october-will-be-well-optimized/36950.html

This optimization rumor would be awesome if it became true. My Galaxy Nexus would probably scream with 5.0.

I posted the following in the respective thread: This article is all crap reiterated by an unknown website seeking hits.

It states things already known. Other than the 512 MB rumor, these are all incredibly safe bets. October, Xphone, blah blah. Give me a break. And there's no new Nexus phone news because we're still four to five months out.

Groof

While we're talking rumours, wasn't Google supposed to release Android 4.3 and a new Nexus 7
this week?
Would be absolutely amazing to wake up quite soon and have an update ready. We need something new or else I'll hate on iOS 7 some more.

vivftp

Already posted in the Xperia Z thread, but always good to share :)

Here's what appears to be our first official glimpse of the Sony Z Ultra - a phablet meant to compete with the oversized phones like the Note 3.

Xperia_Z_Ultra_Invite.jpg

http://www.xperiablog.net/2013/06/12/first-image-of-xperia-z-ultra-teased-super-slim-phablet/

Rumored specs include:

-6.44" 1080p display using Sonys triluminos technology
-S800 processor @2.2GHz and Adreno 330 graphics
-2GB RAM
-16GB internal memory + micro SD
-8MP main camera and 2.2MP front facing camera
-IR blaster for universal remote functions
-Stylus support. It's still questionable on whether it comes with its own stylus but there are rumors that a tech is being implemented where you can use anything as a stylus like a pencil or anything else you have handy
-Water and dust resistant. As we can see in the picture, the headphone port does not have a flap over it like on the Xperia Z, but the other ports obviously do have flap covers
-Dimensions are 179.2 x 92 x 6.5mm and it will weigh in at 212 grams
-It should launch with Android 4.2.2
-Not too sure on the battery to be quite honest. I've heard figures being tossed around from 3,000 - 3,500 mAh.

Supposedly the phablet will launch in China in July. Global release still seems to be unknown but can't be that far behind.

It's also worth noting that some rumors are circulating that the Sony 2H flagship codename Honami might also be announced within the next month. Whether the announcement is for for specific markets or globally is unknown though, but at this point I just want them to show it!

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
How do I get the plain, non-bolded 4.2 digital clock on my home screen?

I have the option to add 'digital clock' but the hours are bold and the minutes regular. I want both to be regular so it matches DashClock (yes, picky). Any ideas?

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
How do I get the plain, non-bolded 4.2 digital clock on my home screen?

I have the option to add 'digital clock' but the hours are bold and the minutes regular. I want both to be regular so it matches DashClock (yes, picky). Any ideas?
HD Widgets.

So that would mean 4.3 is more than 2 weeks away, right?

Probably.

Also:

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20130613PD202.html

"But this does not mean that Samsung is losing its competitiveness in the smartphone segment, but rather indicates an underlying structural change in the industry, where demand for entry-level to midrange smartphones is rising sharply in China and other emerging markets, and the market for high-end models is becoming saturated, said the sources.

Samsung's market has also been dented by the latest roll-outs of flagship models by HTC, Sony Mobile Communications and Huawei, the sources added."

As always, DigitTimes health warning, but it pretty much confirms what I said. It's not that Android is becoming a non-premium hardware market, it's that Samsung are losing market share to significantly stronger Android competition in 2013 vs 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom