• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously, but the device isn't even out yet and it is using the Nexus 4 chip set from last year. It'll basically be an oversized N4.

Jesus Christ, some of you people... We're talking about a 199 dollar device with a quad-core SoC and possibly 2 GB RAM and a 1080p display. Again, for 199 or a little bit more. On paper that's better than some people's PCs here.

An oversized N4 is perfectly fine for that price range.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
On paper that isn't better than my PC I built in 2007. I think some people don't understand how much better desktop CPUs are.

That being said I already admitted I was needy. :p

I would rather have an Intel chip powering my Android devices than an Nvidia chip.
I can't wait for Nvidia to ship T4, compare it to the iPad 4 in benchmarks and then get ridiculed, once Apple ships their A7 few months later.

That was such great moment in tech last year.

maybe there's hope
Update: Reader Tyler points out that a similar Asus tablet under the model number K009 stopped off at Bluetooth SIG recently, and even presented itself via blurry-cam photo. The device definitely looks like a Nexus 7. The description even mentions that the tablet features a 7″ LED-backlist capacitive multitouch screen. Where it gets confusing, is the mention of a Snapdragon 600 processor instead of the Snapdragon S4 Pro listed at the FCC. I think I’m going with the FCC filing on this one.

8HbVUUN.png

Pctx

Banned
On paper that isn't better than my PC I built in 2007. I think some people don't understand how much better desktop CPUs are.

That being said I already admitted I was needy. :p

Mark my words. In 5 years time we will be running Android on our desktops and Windows will be a thing of the past. We're already seeing that trend at our College and with the Android x86 port and Intel whoring itself to get up to speed, its going to happen. So once we have the desktop chips powering Android, that's where stuff gets interesting.

Groof

Hoping for something stronger than the S4 pro at this time. It might be alright for a phone, but I don't think it'll be fine for long on a tablet with a higher resolution screen. Hoping for at least a 600, even though 800 would be preferred.
Also hope they add in a notification light. Not necessary, however. Just a cool thing to have IMHO.

I've been praising my Nexus 10 but this thing is starting to annoy me. Google abandoned this thing. It has kernel panics regularly. It just randomly freezes and crashes. Completely random.

It's not going to be fixed. I'm so ticked off about it because I bought the 32 GB version, thinking I could just keep it for a very long time. I use tablets just to browse the web so I don't care whether it's the newest model. This time, however, I might need to upgrade immediately. So disappointed. And no, custom xda kernels haven't solved this issue, either, AFAIK.

I know your feel n10 bro :(

DagsJT

Seems like T-Mobile UK block push from Google's servers on Android, very frustrating. Put in my Three sim and connects to Google's servers immediately, push comes through fine. Back to T-Mobile and grey bars, having to manually check emails etc.

tldr, don't go with T-Mobile as your Android carrier.

Edit: Just tried Orange and blue bars, push working straight away too. Back into T-Mobile and grey bars.

twofold

Seems like T-Mobile UK block push from Google's servers on Android, very frustrating. Put in my Three sim and connects to Google's servers immediately, push comes through fine. Back to T-Mobile and grey bars, having to manually check emails etc.

tldr, don't go with T-Mobile as your Android carrier.

I'm using a T-Mobile UK sim in my Nexus 4 at the moment. I'm not having any problems.

DagsJT

I'm using a T-Mobile UK sim in my Nexus 4 at the moment. I'm not having any problems.

Hmm. I was on CM10.1 earlier. Thought the rom might be the issue so tried an older version of Carbon rom and same issue. Just flashed the latest nightly of Carbon and blue bars now.

I realize it's all personal preferences and whatnot, but I'll ask anyways:

My Galaxy S2's (i777 on AT&T) power button died. I'm using the volume wake feature from AOKP to turn it on. That, combined with my phone's general slowpokiness, makes it useable, but but also a pain in the ass.

I might try to jump in on a $99 deal for an HTC One (I don't mind renewing my AT&T contract), but I also keep wondering if the Moto X is going to get announced and be shipping soon.

Is this just another case of "you keep waiting for the next thing, you will always be waiting because there is always something else"? I guess I'm just looking for someone to sway me to either just buckling up for an HTC One today/this weekend, or live with my borked S2 until the Moto X is announced and released.

Vanillalite

I realize it's all personal preferences and whatnot, but I'll ask anyways:

My Galaxy S2's (i777 on AT&T) power button died. I'm using the volume wake feature from AOKP to turn it on. That, combined with my phone's general slowpokiness, makes it useable, but but also a pain in the ass.

I might try to jump in on a $99 deal for an HTC One (I don't mind renewing my AT&T contract), but I also keep wondering if the Moto X is going to get announced and be shipping soon.

Is this just another case of "you keep waiting for the next thing, you will always be waiting because there is always something else"? I guess I'm just looking for someone to sway me to either just buckling up for an HTC One today/this weekend, or live with my borked S2 until the Moto X is announced and released.

Old Phone is one thing, but an old kind of broken phone is another. You can always put things off as there always will be new phones coming within say a 6 month time frame. If your phone is semi broken despite the work around you found via a custom ROM it's probably time to jump on a new phone.

That being said no need to just go crazy. As you said jump on the HTC One for $99 or the GS4 is $130 (now I think on AT&T). If you don't order anything this weekend just wait until another similar deal comes along. No need to pay the regular $200 if you don't need to order ASAP.

Groof

Android 5.0 “Key Lime Pie” UI Concepts Hitting the Web, Give Us Very High Hopes

As we approach the rumored date for Android 4.3′s launch on June 20 (at least, that’s what our sources say), many have already come to the realization that we should not expect Google to introduce a new interface for the OS. It will still be called Jelly Bean and nothing too crazy will happen. What most in the business have their money on is that we can expect to see Google change up Android’s look in the iteration after next, being Android 5.0 “Key Lime Pie.” That’s when we will see some new colors, icons, wallpapers, etc. take place.

Vanillalite

Quote to post pics son! I'm on my desktop and it's fine, but peeps need to almost always do this.

At any rate it's a mock up so not much to say unless I know it's real.

DagsJT

Looks like I was tired earlier, I was actually using my 3 sim and that's why the bars were blue etc. Just put the T-Mobile sim in and back to grey.

You're getting blue signal bars on your Nexus 4?

Groof

Quote to post pics son! I'm on my desktop and it's fine, but peeps need to almost always do this.

At any rate it's a mock up so not much to say unless I know it's real.
Haha sorry, on my phone so I didn't realise how big it was. I'll quote every pic from now on just in case.

Either way, I bolded what I thought was way more important than the actual mockup. Or am I alone in thinking this?

There are other reasons to use a better cpu other than reduced lag you know...you can use a S4 pro in the nexus 5, are you saying that's not worth complaining about because it wouldn't lag?

phoenixyz

I've been praising my Nexus 10 but this thing is starting to annoy me. Google abandoned this thing. It has kernel panics regularly. It just randomly freezes and crashes. Completely random.

It's not going to be fixed. I'm so ticked off about it because I bought the 32 GB version, thinking I could just keep it for a very long time. I use tablets just to browse the web so I don't care whether it's the newest model. This time, however, I might need to upgrade immediately. So disappointed. And no, custom xda kernels haven't solved this issue, either, AFAIK.
I still hope they are going to fix it with Android 5... But I haven't tried anything else than stock. CM and all that stuff doesn't help?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
LMAO those icons are literally ripped from Chrome OS. What these faux designers and Google should really be changing are the awful ugly bottom buttons. Change those to not be so stretched out and things will be good.

Come on Googy, Chromephone plz.

Groof

LMAO those icons are literally ripped from Chrome OS. What these faux designers and Google should really be changing are the awful ugly bottom buttons. Change those to not be so stretched out and things will be good.

Come on Googy, Chromephone plz.
The soft buttons are fine imho but please do not make anything transparent for the love of all that is called Andy.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I know your feel n10 bro :(

I still hope they are going to fix it with Android 5... But I haven't tried anything else than stock. CM and all that stuff doesn't help?

Maybe Android 5 will help but I'm not holding my breath. No, CM or Franco doesn't help. I've tried it all. We've got to stick together, n10 brothers :(

Cipherr

My All Play Music access was disabled for a few hours until I got an email notifying me that my subscription had started and I had been billed the 7.99 for the first time.

Not a huge deal, but still sloppy to have that gap in access. It should have renewed and maintained access with no gaps in service! ಠ_ಠ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom