• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicktendo86

Xperia Z 4.2.2 has lockscreen widgets. Win.

Can't wait for my ZL to be as good as my Sensation (software wise) in a couple of weeks. :D

Xperia-Z_4.2.2_4-315x560.png
Notice the little up arrow at the bottom of the screen, looks very similar to the new ios7 lock screen. Ummmmm

Blackhead

Redarse
Floating notifications is nice. I'm going to switch back my SIM card to the Galaxy Nexus for a bit...

Still makes a good point. Apple has like 11 total since 2007.

No it doesn't. It's a misleading graphic. FFS they are counting the Touchwiz S4 and Nexus S4 as two different screens. How does that make any sense?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So let's talk Nexus 7 refresh...

I think it'll be a little more expensive. Maybe $229 which is still a cheaper launch point than the og Nexus 7 with 16 gigs.

S800 just seems like a pipe dream so I am gonna say S600 with the bump to 1080. That'll mean performance wise it should handle just like the One or S4 roughly. I expect a back camera this time, and a slight form factor shift to make the bezzle smaller.

I also expect better speakers, but nothing near as good as say as the One or even the current Nexus 10.

Basically it'll be played safe but still a big upgrade regardless.

I'm so down for a new Nexus 7. I hope they keep the design/weight the same though. I really, really love pretty much everything about the Nexus 7 design including the bezels which make it easier to hold.

Also, Action Launcher looks interesting... any have any comments about it before I drop $4 on it?

No it doesn't. It's a misleading graphic. FFS they are counting the Touchwiz S4 and Nexus S4 as two different screens. How does that make any sense?

They still release way too many Galaxy-branded phones.

here's the Samsung Galaxy line-up since 2012:

Galaxy Y Pro DUOS
Galaxy Ace Plus
Galaxy Ace II
Galaxy Mini 2
Galaxy Beam
Galaxy Pocket
Galaxy S Advance
Galaxy S III
Galaxy Appeal
Galaxy S III mini
Galaxy Ch@t
Galaxy Stellar
Galaxy S Duos
Galaxy Note II
Galaxy Victory 4G
Galaxy Reverb
Galaxy Rush
Galaxy Express
Galaxy Rugby Pro
Galaxy S III Mini
Galaxy S II Plus
Galaxy Grand
Galaxy S 4
Galaxy Fame
Galaxy S 4 mini

I asked the person who told me that they were definitely planning for an S800 in the Nexus 7 refresh and he says he hasn't heard anything new since. So there is still hope for that if that's your thang.

Also am I the only one who thinks lockscreen widgets kind of suck. Just put some useful functionality in the current one and that's it. It's all becoming too much imo. Could be just me.

Groof

Also am I the only one who thinks lockscreen widgets kind of suck. Just put some useful functionality in the current one and that's it. It's all becoming too much imo. Could be just me.
I like them, though I don't use them as much as I should. Some new features would be nice, especially being able the have the widgets expanded at all times.

Cipherr

Lessons in market saturation: Does Samsung make too many phones and tablets?

http://blogs.which.co.uk/technology/tablets-2/does-samsung-make-too-many-phones-and-tablets/

Considering that the sales of both their smartphones and tablets has done nothing but increase dramatically over that time period.

I would have to say, 'no'.

Its different, but its definitely not wrong. You can muse about whether or not its good, but the results are concrete and nonnegotiable. I suspect, as long as it keeps working, and customers continue to buy, they aren't going to fix what doesn't appear to be broken.

If I were them though I would definitely streamline it. here has to be major overlap in all those phones and tabs

Vanillalite

I asked the person who told me that they were definitely planning for an S800 in the Nexus 7 refresh and he says he hasn't heard anything new since. So there is still hope for that if that's your thang.

It isn't just my thang so much as it would be the top of the line chipset in such a cheap device. S600 is already beastly even at 1080 and the leaked rumored S800 benches look insane!!

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
What's the point of a lock screen?

So let's talk Nexus 7 refresh...

I think it'll be a little more expensive. Maybe $229 which is still a cheaper launch point than the og Nexus 7 with 16 gigs.

S800 just seems like a pipe dream so I am gonna say S600 with the bump to 1080. That'll mean performance wise it should handle just like the One or S4 roughly. I expect a back camera this time, and a slight form factor shift to make the bezzle smaller.

I also expect better speakers, but nothing near as good as say as the One or even the current Nexus 10.

Basically it'll be played safe but still a big upgrade regardless.

I still think $200 is a good price. Anymore and it's out of my price range. I hope we get it in July, but the non-news has scared me. I hope they don't delay it because of 4.3 or even 5.0.

I just want a better screen, back camera, and a faster machine. I need it for manga viewing and internet browsing. I actually wouldn't mind the current N7 for around $150.

Is Tegra 3 good? I've heard people say it a slow processor?

Vanillalite

What's the point of a lock screen?

I still think $200 is a good price. Anymore and it's out of my price range. I hope we get it in July, but the non-news has scared me. I hope they don't delay it because of 4.3 or even 5.0.

I just want a better screen, back camera, and a faster machine. I need it for manga viewing and internet browsing. I actually wouldn't mind the current N7 for around $150.

Is Tegra 3 good? I've heard people say it a slow processor?

Tegra 3 is really old, but so is the Nexus 7 hardware in general. It is slow for June 2013, but so is basically everything not named the S600 or Exnyos Octa. The resolution isn't that high on the current Nexus so it doesn't need some crazy processor.

All the 2012 processors are slow, but they are still totally fine.

mkenyon

Banned
Quick question:

Need an android device that is thin and light as possible. This will be almost exclusively for spotify use during runs (offline sync). No data needed, just wifi. If it's an older model I can snag used, even better.

Matugi

Quick question:

Need an android device that is thin and light as possible. This will be almost exclusively for spotify use during runs (offline sync). No data needed, just wifi. If it's an older model I can snag used, even better.

Samsung made something called the Galaxy player IIRC

Nicktendo86

I don't usually look at these FCC filings so I have no idea how representative it is but on the label pdf it has a diagram of the label and Asus logo horizontal on the device, like the N10 rather than the N7. Could that be at al relevant?

gcubed

I don't usually look at these FCC filings so I have no idea how representative it is but on the label pdf it has a diagram of the label and Asus logo horizontal on the device, like the N10 rather than the N7. Could that be at al relevant?

Battery is too small for a 10"

Vanillalite

It's an S600 (the one from the Nexus 4)... Thats not bad at all for a 199...er 229 tablet

The S600 and the S4 Pro are two different deals. Where did you get they are the same? I know it is processor from the N4. That isn't an S600 by a long shot though let alone an S800.

Edit: I know they are similar but the 600 is higher clocked with better memory bandwidth and some extra performance little editions. True the GPUs are identical.

Plus we were just talking about maybe an S800. Idk I guess I am just salty/needy.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I've been praising my Nexus 10 but this thing is starting to annoy me. Google abandoned this thing. It has kernel panics regularly. It just randomly freezes and crashes. Completely random.

It's not going to be fixed. I'm so ticked off about it because I bought the 32 GB version, thinking I could just keep it for a very long time. I use tablets just to browse the web so I don't care whether it's the newest model. This time, however, I might need to upgrade immediately. So disappointed. And no, custom xda kernels haven't solved this issue, either, AFAIK.

Pctx

Banned
I think the latest poo on a stick is better than Tegra 3 at this point. Thank god Tegra 4 is going to be widely available soon and many devices are going to ship with it.

I would rather have an Intel chip powering my Android devices than an Nvidia chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom