• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ephemeris

More info plz.

JDI-5-inch.jpg

It looks glorious.

I'm in for a million accidental button presses.

Tino - Like I said previously, Sony are looking to exit from their relationship with Qualcomm because of the favouritism they show to HTC.

This seems incredible to me, since HTC's market power is dropping like a man skydiving from the edge of space. With Samsung on the verge of dropping Qualcomm for good in all markets once they get native LTE into their Exynos SoCs, and Nvidia planning to have native LTE in Tegra 4 sometime in 2013, Qualcomm won't have any big partners left worldwide. Galaxy S III (US) will probably be the last Samsung device with Qualcomm anywhere in the world, and most other OEMs will switch to Tegra 4. Why would they be trying to push Sony out, when Sony actually has a decent marketshare worldwide outside of the US? Well, this is Qualcomm I guess, they really do hate their partners so I can see it.

This seems incredible to me, since HTC's market power is dropping like a man skydiving from the edge of space. With Samsung on the verge of dropping Qualcomm for good in all markets once they get native LTE into their Exynos SoCs, and Nvidia planning to have native LTE in Tegra 4 sometime in 2013, Qualcomm won't have any big partners left worldwide. Galaxy S III (US) will probably be the last Samsung device with Qualcomm anywhere in the world, and most other OEMs will switch to Tegra 4. Why would they be trying to push Sony out, when Sony actually has a decent marketshare worldwide outside of the US? Well, this is Qualcomm I guess, they really do hate their partners so I can see it.

Qualcomm own a largish stake in HTC, it is in their interest to give HTC their latest and greatest ahead of the competition.

Not if HTC has a smaller marketshare than the Chinese OEMs, which should happen pretty soon now.

Hence why Qualcomm want to try and boost HTC's position in the market with favourable treatment. If HTC can recapture some of their former glory Qualcomm can quietly sell the shares at a small loss and call it a day. Right now they are sitting on a big loss that will have to be written down.

Hence why Qualcomm want to try and boost HTC's position in the market with favourable treatment. If HTC can recapture some of their former glory Qualcomm can quietly sell the shares at a small loss and call it a day. Right now they are sitting on a big loss that will have to be written down.

Interesting. Too bad Qualcomm aren't exactly strong in software engineering, because they would need to send some people to HTC to beat the Sense out of them before people will start taking HTC seriously again.

ShowDog

Seriously... Im going to blow a freaking gasket the next time one of you guys hit me with the:

"But noone has a need for..."

"Why do you need extra cores for..."

"Who would ever want..."

"Most people are fine with..."

For the love of god. Please stop it, technology advances.. dealwithit.gif

Not everyone is a consumer whore looking to "upgrade" every year to devices promising features no one really needs. That's great if you're into that, but its silly how many thousands people have been spending on phones since 2007... in the midst of a depression no less. If you think it will continue like this think again, look at the television and PC industries. Things really are getting to a good enough point where it will be a race to the bottom in terms of pricing

elsk

Banned
I have a question, what happened with the Nexus S when the Galaxy Nexus was announced? Google stopped selling it (assuming it was sold via Google.com/nexus as the GNex)?

DXPett1

I have a question, what happened with the Nexus S when the Galaxy Nexus was announced? Google stopped selling it (assuming it was sold via Google.com/nexus as the GNex)?

I think it was purely B & M stores and Carriers. It predates the Devices section of Play Store too. Carriers certainly carried it for a while after the GNex release, just aimed it at more budget plans

elsk

Banned
I think it was purely B & M stores and Carriers. It predates the Devices section of Play Store too. Carriers certainly carried it for a while after the GNex release, just aimed it at more budget plans

I see :/ so there's not precedent of this. I hope Google keeps selling it for less money.

Thank you!

I'm pretty sure they stopped selling it over the play store but they should've just sold it as a cheap unlocked phone...probably didn't want to hamper low sales of an already low selling gnex but if its supposed to be a developer phone then they probably just want to supply developers with the new hardware only

DXPett1

I see :/ so there's not precedent of this. I hope Google keeps selling it for less money.

Thank you!

I would put good money that if a new Nexus appears (and only a single new Nexus) the Galaxy Nexus will be dropped off the Play store.

Wouldn't worry as any store online that sells unlocked phones will have a stack full and probably discount them further (MobiCity is a good one for AU/NZers)

I would put good money that if a new Nexus appears (and only a single new Nexus) the Galaxy Nexus will be dropped off the Play store.

I can't wait to see how Google explains to potential Nexus buyers why the ones with 16 GB and 32 GB storage (Verizon only) were removed and replaced with one that only has 8 GB of storage and still no microSD slot.

elsk

Banned
I'm pretty sure they stopped selling it over the play store but they should've just sold it as a cheap unlocked phone...probably didn't want to hamper low sales of an already low selling gnex but if its supposed to be a developer phone then they probably just want to supply developers with the new hardware only

Wouldn't worry as any store online that sells unlocked phones will have a stack full and probably discount them further (MobiCity is a good one for AU/NZers)

Thanks! I can't help but feel the LG Nexus is going to be a weak release compared to the Galaxy Nexus :( Hope I'm wrong.

I can't wait to see how Google explains to potential Nexus buyers why the ones with 16 GB and 32 GB storage (Verizon only) were removed and replaced with one that only has 8 GB of storage and still no microSD slot.

Yeah, I guess they'll replace the current 349$USD 16GB GNex with the 8GB LG Nexus to keep the same price. Obviously I expect more models with 16gb, 32gb to be released too.

buhdeh

I wish the new Nexus had AT&T bands for LTE on the play store, I don't even care about the storage size. I just know Rogers in Canada is going to jack up the price on a carrier version of the LG Nexus to something insane like $599 despite it being sold for $399 on the play store.

GiJoccin

any thoughts on the smaller android phones? the lady friend wants to get a new smartphone, but wants a "small one" which means S3 and iphone are out. are any of the "minis" or smaller android phones worth a look at?

any thoughts on the smaller android phones? the lady friend wants to get a new smartphone, but wants a "small one" which means S3 and iphone are out. are any of the "minis" or smaller android phones worth a look at?

well, the Motorola RAZR M/Motorola RAZR i is around the same size as the iPhone 5 and is solid. anything smaller than that is almost guaranteed to be in the low-mid range, so basically, the answer is no. no manufacturer is building good specs into phones smaller than iPhone size. gotta fit in all the chips, cameras, battery, etc... somewhere.

Angst

I don't know if it fits the "small one" category, but the S2 is still a pretty good phone - and price is good too.

Well, she could get the Galaxy S3 Mini...

...nevermind.

The RAZR M is indeed a good option in the 4" category, assuming she's on Verizon. Otherwise the pickings are slim indeed. Maybe the HTC One S would be okay if she can stand Sense.

If the iPhone is too big for her, she had better stick with dumbphones. Nobody makes a smartphone with a screen smaller than 3.5". Well, I guess technically Huawei does but you would need to go to Africa to pick up a Huawei IDEOS with the 2.8" screen on that device.

gcubed

or, you know, like the nexus 7, there is an 8 and a 16 option. But gadzooks! your panties may have to unwind

Futureman

G3 Mini is still decent and blows previous low end shit like the LG Ally out of the water. Not sure if it's even coming to the US though.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Looks like the Nexii rumor is true:

p87f0.jpg

y9J4Y.jpg

Hey-ho, whaddaya know! The rumor that a number of Nexus phones might be appearing from each manufacturer for the 5th anniversary of Android, might have legs, after all.

After the LG Nexus 4, which already got previewed completely in a prototype form, we had rumors for an HTC Nexus X, a Samsung Galaxy Nexus 2, and now for the first time we are seeing a Sony Nexus X picture leaking out.

At least the claims are that this is a Sony Nexus device, which, as every rumor goes, should be taken with a grain of sodium chloride, but the back says Google, and it doesn't look like an elaborate render, so we are keeping our hopes high to learn more about this device soon.

The way this new Nexus program seems set, this could very well be a rebranded Xperia T with stock Android, just like the LG Nexus 4 appears to be a reworked Optimus G.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sony...Google-branding-and-on-screen-buttons_id35546

questionable

Kiraly

Oh shit son

Looks questionable indeed, especially the back.

I actually just want one Nexus device so I will not have to choose later this year
:(

The T runs on a dual-core Krait, the LG Nexus has a quad-core Krait.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Now that I look at it, the front looks like an Xperia Ion..but whatever, the more the merrier.

It'd be cool to have this next to the Nexus 4 Disco ball edition

Cipherr

Hmm that would be two. Theres the rumors of the Occam Nexus from Moto also. Need to see more leaks about HTC and Samsung now and then I can fully believe.

ep85

I'm all for choice but, eh...this Nexii plan seems...stupid. 5 black boxes that all will do the exact same thing, seems a lot of work to put on Google for no reason. I guess it makes sense if each carrier in the US gets one of the Nexii and they can sell all them unlocked on the play store.

Talon

I'm all for choice but, eh...this Nexii plan seems...stupid. 5 black boxes that all will do the exact same thing, seems a lot of work to put on Google for no reason. I guess it makes sense if each carrier in the US gets one of the Nexii and they can sell all them unlocked on the play store.
Well, it seems like Google hasn't put much work into them if they're just variants of existing devices.

ep85

Well, it seems like Google hasn't put much work into them if they're just variants of existing devices.

But Google will have to tailor the OS for all 5 devices. They can barely handle different versions of the same phone.

Google, prove me wrong.

Nif

Eh, I think each phone maker has their quirks. I didn't like the design of the LG, and I like super amoled, so I'm feeling a lot more optimistic that someone like HTC or Samsung could do better.

tino

Banned

I think the point is it will make firmware upgrade faster than the current situation.

JordanKZ

I'm selling my Galaxy Nexus day one if I can get a faster, better camera'd, bigger battery Nexus device.

I'm fed up with having to charge my device twice in a day if I use it a lot.

The only way I can see 5 Nexus devices launching simultaneously is if they each aim for different prices points/size/hardware factors (ie. 10" tablet, Phablet, 4.7", 4.3", 3.5", ranging from quad to single core) otherwise they'll just ccannibalise each others sales if it's just several high end phones.

I guess that is still possible with the various rumours floating around though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom