• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got the update notification for 4.1.2 on my Galaxy Nexus.

W0MvY.png

Cipherr

But Google will have to tailor the OS for all 5 devices. They can barely handle different versions of the same phone.

Google, prove me wrong.

Why would they have to tailor the OS for all 5 devices..... These are Nexus phones, there is no Touchwiz for this one and Sense for that one. I dont understand at all what you are getting at here. They just take hardware designs from the manus existing devices and slap Vanilla Android on them, put them on the Play Store, and let the carriers and HW manufacturers figure out how they will handle the rest.

DieH@rd

Banned
Android-GAF, gimme suggestions for 2 android programs that I want badly:

Podcast player that can seek and download files [manually or automaticly] with support to pause/resume podcast when i disconnect/connect heaphones.

Video player that can play video files from my PC via WiFi. Transcoding at PC end is acceptable, but preferably if GPU is doing the majority of the work [i have radeon].

Angst

Android-GAF, gimme suggestions for 2 android programs that I want badly:

Podcast player that can seek and download files [manually or automaticly] with support to pause/resume podcast when i disconnect/connect heaphones.

Video player that can play video files from my PC via WiFi. Transcoding at PC end is acceptable, but preferably if GPU is doing the majority of the work [i have radeon].

Podcast: try Beyond Pod or Doggcatcher

Video player: MX Player and uPNP to enable DLNA servers.

DieH@rd

Banned
Podcast: try Beyond Pod or Doggcatcher

Video player: MX Player and uPNP to enable DLNA servers.

Beyond Pod apparently supports only "pause when jack disconnects, i will try Doggcatcher later.

What DLNA server app are you reccomending me?

gcubed

it is quite bar in bar, but i think its a good way to keep the notification bar the way it is while giving extra functionality. Google is clearly trying to stuff tons of information in the notification bar with the expandable notifications, I can see why they want to keep as much space there as possible (with the caveat that the shade not going all the way to the bottom is fixed)

tino

Banned
Beyond Pod apparently supports only "pause when jack disconnects, i will try Doggcatcher later.

What DLNA server app are you reccomending me?

I think you can set tasker to play podcast when you plug in the earphone.

But that seem to be the wrong way to do thing.

Dizzan

MINI Member
MASSIVE GRIPE:

When on a call (galaxy Nexus) and I receive another call, there are no controls on the screen to end the current call! I can answer the incoming call but it just puts the other call on hold and doesn't give me the option to end the call. Is this just me missing something blatantly obvious or is this a massive oversight by Google??

ep85

So the prototype of the LG Nexus was rocking an 8 megapixel camera right?

Well if it's the same as the one in the ATT optimus G, then it is indeed a better camera than the crappy 13 megapixel one in the sprint version, as seen in the verge's review of the optimus G:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/15/3506326/lg-optimus-g-review-att-sprint

Good to see battery life isn't horrible. And I still have the best screen on a smartphone *hugs One X*

9DfGF.jpg

that is also pretty badass.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I have a galaxy note that I love, but was recently gifted a nexus 7.

Not really sure I would use it for anything different than my phone? Been thinking about selling it but wondered if anyone here actually uses a nexus 7 despite owning a big smartphone and a small laptop (I have a chromebook that I love).

Massa

Not really sure I would use it for anything different than my phone? Been thinking about selling it but wondered if anyone here actually uses a nexus 7 despite owning a big smartphone and a small laptop (I have a chromebook that I love).

I think the best use case for the Nexus 7 in your case is reading books. Other than that I don't see much of a point.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I dunno, the N7 has displaced my ipad and my phone for all reading and browsing purposes. It's pretty damn good at it.

If this new version of Android includes pinch to zoom in gmail, quick controls by doubling down on the notification bar, allied to the high def contact sync and then adds to this with gapless playback and proper cloud management options in the gallery I may explode. Especially if there is even more "project butter" work done. It looks like Duarte has basically set his sights on destroying all of Androids worst niggles.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
If this new version of Android includes pinch to zoom in gmail, quick controls by doubling down on the notification bar, allied to the high def contact sync and then adds to this with gapless playback and proper cloud management options in the gallery I may explode. Especially if there is even more "project butter" work done. It looks like Duarte has basically set his sights on destroying all of Androids worst niggles.

In Matias we trust

tino

Banned

I moved from a 7" tablet to a Galaxy Note. I don't see any reason to move back to 7" tablet.

Unless you read tons of comic books.

M_A_C

Wow, android has a "Air Video" alternative!

https://www.emitapp.com/

Both server and app for android, same functionality, same options. The only downside is that video processing on the PC side is again CPU based.

Dice Player is better. You don't need any server computer. Just a NAS is good.

I can not get Emit to stream without buffering all the time, while AirVideo is perfect...

Does Dice Player allow streaming movies over 3g/4g?

Cipherr

Just in time for the 4.1.2 rollout!

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/1...ick-settings-the-second-pulldown-panel-video/

Android police has a phone with 4.2 on it and are going to release an article a day on differences.

That looks great. Ill bet anyone here $10, that once the second notification shade goes live, that the first normal notification shade goes all the way to the bottom, but the second settings shade stops where you see the first one stop in the video. That way they are staggered and you can retract the second one with a swipe to return to the first.

That second shade is a really great idea, put Samsungs quick settings in it. Along with perhaps a few widgets of your choosing. I also wonder if they will have two finger swipes from the top pull down the secondary setting shade, and one finger swipe down from the top trigger the normal shade.

There's "Wise screen" for keeping the display on when you're looking at it

oh wow

Good, all smartphones need to adopt Smart Stay. Its a cool and useful feature.

Goddammit, I'm pretty set on buying GNII if it turns out that LG Nexus will be the only Nexus this year. But then I have to decide if waiting until mid-2013 for Android 4.2 is okay or not. Fuck you Google, why did you decide to make the 2012 Nexus such a heaping pile of shit?

malyce

Goddammit, I'm pretty set on buying GNII if it turns out that LG Nexus will be the only Nexus this year. But then I have to decide if waiting until mid-2013 for Android 4.2 is okay or not. Fuck you Google, why did you decide to make the 2012 Nexus such a heaping pile of shit?

? Gonna be the best android phone for at least a few months

tino

Banned
I can not get Emit to stream without buffering all the time, while AirVideo is perfect...

Does Dice Player allow streaming movies over 3g/4g?

You question is too board to give you an answer. Over 3g of what? What kind of movie?

Isn't Emit another server based solution?

M_A_C

You question is too board to give you an answer. Over 3g of what? What kind of movie?

Isn't Emit another server based solution?

Meaning, can I watch a video that is stored on my PC at home, while out on the go over the cellular network.

Yes, Emit is server based like AirVideo.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
So guys, I'm very new to Android. In fact, I haven't even ordered my nexus 7 yet and have only used a wildfire S.

My question is do you guys think Google will continue to release high quality tablets in the $200-$300 price range for the foreseeable future? Sort of like Apple does with the iPad?

I'm already heavily invested in the iOS ecosystem but I'm looking to switch because I think the concept of an affordable non-shit tab is very appealing.

Do you think there will be like a google I/O next year with like a Nexus 7-2 or something similar? I'm familiar with the rumors regarding upgrades storage for the 7, but surely the n7 has been such a hit that google will follow up next summer, right?

thuway

Ugh why can't manufactuers design a nice, simplistic, minimal phone? The Padphone looks terrible with its HUGE bezel. I want something with virtually zero bezel, no buttons, AMOLED, and in Phablet form.

? Gonna be the best android phone for at least a few months

Not really.

LG Nexus 4

+ Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro (quad-core Krait) and Adreno 320 GPU
+ probably same excellent 4.7" LG IPS Pro screen as Optimus G
+ stock Android 4.2
+ 2 GB of RAM

- questionable camera quality (reviews of Optimus G camera were lackluster)
- 8 GB of storage
- no microSD slot
- ugly-ass "bling-bling" back
- LG phones are not known for good audio quality
- no LTE
- GSM only, not available on my carrier (Verizon)

Samsung Galaxy Note II

+ 5.5" Super AMOLED HD non-Pentile RGB screen
+ same high quality 8 MP camera as Galaxy S III
+ available on Verizon
+ superior audio quality with Wolfson DAC
+ S-Pen stylus for pen input
+ up to 64 GB of internal storage
+ microSD slot
+ looks like a Galaxy S III, only bigger
+ LTE
+ 2 GB of RAM

- dated Exynos 4412 Quad (ARM Cortex-A9) and ARM Mali-400MP GPU
- Android 4.1 with TouchWiz

Ugh why can't manufactuers design a nice, simplistic, minimal phone? The Padphone looks terrible with its HUGE bezel. I want something with virtually zero bezel, no buttons, AMOLED, and in Phablet form.

The GNII has buttons but otherwise meets your other criteria. It doesn't look like any non-Nexus phones are going to dispense with buttons, so you'll be waiting a long time (possibly forever) if you are dead-set on on-screen soft buttons.

^^ you seem to know a lot about a phone that all we've seen is a prototype. Also the note 2 lol. I don't even think it is normal to compare the note to a phone. Its a phablet. It should be compared to other phablets/tablets. That's just me though.

^^ you seem to know a lot about a phone that all we've seen is a prototype. Also the note 2 lol. I don't even think it is normal to compare the note to a phone. Its a phablet. It should be compared to other phablets/tablets. That's just me though.

The LG Nexus 4 has been more throughly leaked than the iPhone 5 was at this point. We know just about everything about this phone at this point.

Substitute Galaxy S III for Note II then, and remove S-Pen from the list of (+) attributes. The GNII is fundamentally an up-sized GSIII with the S-Pen capability added.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom