• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
So 4.3 is going to be revealed in the middle of next week. Samsung, Sony, HTC, Motorola and a couple of other OEMs have been working with the PDK for around three months.

The GS4, HTC One, Xperia Z and Xperia ZL should receive 4.3 quite fast on that basis, but you never know...

On the Sony side I have heard that every device on the MSM8960 platform (Z, ZL, ZR, ZU, Tablet Z, T, TL, V, TX, SP) and the S4 platform (L, M) are going to get 4.3, the first lot will get it by the end of July and many devices are said to be skipping 4.2 altogether.

Finally, Sony are showing their new smartwatch on Tuesday in Shanghai as a companion device for the Z Ultra. I've heard it leverages this screen technology so it will have awesome clarity on such a small screen (1.5").

That's a roundup of the Android news I heard this week!

So 4.3 is going to be revealed in the middle of next week. Samsung, Sony, HTC, Motorola and a couple of other OEMs have been working with the PDK for around three months.

The GS4, HTC One, Xperia Z and Xperia ZL should receive 4.3 quite fast on that basis, but you never know...

On the Sony side I have heard that every device on the MSM8960 platform (Z, ZL, ZR, ZU, Tablet Z, T, TL, V, TX, SP) and the S4 platform (L, M) are going to get 4.3, the first lot will get it by the end of July and many devices are said to be skipping 4.2 altogether.

Finally, Sony are showing their new smartwatch on Tuesday in Shanghai as a companion device for the Z Ultra. I've heard it leverages this screen technology so it will have awesome clarity on such a small screen (1.5").

That's a roundup of the Android news I heard this week!

Quoting to bring this up in a week.

"reveal" 4.3 in June if people expect KLP this winter?

Is the reveal going to be a blog post?

No idea. I just heard from an associate at SMC that they (Google) are finally ready to show 4.3 to the public and that it will be releases to AOSP at the same time. My guess is that 4.3 is another version of Jelly Bean, my source wouldn't confirm or deny that, just that they had received the PDK for 4.3 months ago and that Google are gearing up for the reveal next week.

HawkeyeIC

No idea. I just heard from an associate at SMC that they (Google) are finally ready to show 4.3 to the public and that it will be releases to AOSP at the same time. My guess is that 4.3 is another version of Jelly Bean, my source wouldn't confirm or deny that, just that they had received the PDK for 4.3 months ago and that Google are gearing up for the reveal next week.

Hopefully with a Nexus 7 refresh as well.

vdlow

Maybe this would explain the 4.2 update for the HTC One being delayed?

I really want to see what Google is preparing for 4.3, and Wednesday the S4 Google Edition will be released (and I believe that the One GE too), so maybe they will be released already with the new version.

Blackhead

Redarse
Sony hints new SmartWatch incoming next week | Xperia Blog

VG1sxBY.gif

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Coming from Chrome, Dolphin is lighting fast. Chrome takes a huge toll on the phone's memory.

Gaaraz

Really wanted to root my international S3 and put a custom ROM on it for performance/battery reasons (and to get rid of the awful Samsung apps that you can't install) and managed to narrow it down to CM or MIUI

Imagine my disappointment to realise that the former doesn't have a stable version for my phone, and the latter is based on touchwiz. Argh...

Koodo will let you sign up on a $0 tab, effecively buying it outright. You can then cancel the plan after 30 days.

However it will involve the usual credit checks and whatnot.

So you nerds aren't lying. New Chrome Beta is finally legit.

Really? Like really really?

Coming from Chrome, Dolphin is lighting fast. Chrome takes a huge toll on the phone's memory.

Chrome for Android is basically the full desktop Chrome layout engine with a custom touch UI. It's going to be a memory hog compared to a browser specifically made for mobile devices. I have 2 GB of RAM on my phone and when I open GAF pages with animated GIFs everywhere, I can easily consume my entire free memory pool and lag my phone because WebKit's animated GIF support is such total horseshit.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Really. Scrolling finally isn't total shit.

So my mom's bf aka my sudo step dad who will be 65 this year just ditched his like 12 year old camera flip phone. Helped him order a smartphone. He got a cheap GS3 on contract for $19.99 on Amazon with free shipping to go along with the Nexus 7 I helped my mom get him last year for his birthday.

He hangs out with a bunch of other old guys that all play pool and go fishing together, and he will be the 1st with a smartphone. He says they will all be super surprised. LoL

LJ11

Biggest difference to me is the battery life, can actually browse without wrecking my battery.

Tried Firefox, but the scrolling seemed jittery, anyone else notice this?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Biggest difference to me is the battery life, can actually browse without wrecking my battery.

Couldn't stand the scrolling on FF. Switched back to buggy Chrome. On N4 no less.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Even if your not a customer? Just tried Walmart won't do it.

*edit

Nope koodo won't do it either.

So stupid.
WTF, you can't buy it outright? Never heard of such a restriction.

Really? Like really really?

Chrome for Android is basically the full desktop Chrome layout engine with a custom touch UI. It's going to be a memory hog compared to a browser specifically made for mobile devices. I have 2 GB of RAM on my phone and when I open GAF pages with animated GIFs everywhere, I can easily consume my entire free memory pool and lag my phone because WebKit's animated GIF support is such total horseshit.
This should explain why it takes so long for Chrome to start.

Yeah. The scrolling on FF is shit especially when a scrolling gesture is sometimes mistaken to be a tap on a link. Argh.

So I need a new phone. Still rocking a rooted Incredible, and the microUSB port has now started to hit the shitter. I feel like I'm in a transition period though, with new stuff possibly coming out in the coming weeks/months; however, I don't think it will last much longer.

Thinking about the Nexus 4 - if I order it from Google Play, will I be able to activate it on Verizon? Is it worth it? Should I wait for the HTC One via Verizon? Or go the way of Samsung S4? Should I wait for Nexus 5? So many questions.

Toki767

So I need a new phone. Still rocking a rooted Incredible, and the microUSB port has now started to hit the shitter. I feel like I'm in a transition period though, with new stuff possibly coming out in the coming weeks/months; however, I don't think it will last much longer.

Thinking about the Nexus 4 - if I order it from Google Play, will I be able to activate it on Verizon? Is it worth it? Should I wait for the HTC One via Verizon? Or go the way of Samsung S4? Should I wait for Nexus 5? So many questions.

Nexus 4 is GSM only. Verizon is CDMA.

catmincer

HTC One definitely. Best phone I've ever owned.

Gaaraz

Really wanted to root my international S3 and put a custom ROM on it for performance/battery reasons (and to get rid of the awful Samsung apps that you can't install) and managed to narrow it down to CM or MIUI

Imagine my disappointment to realise that the former doesn't have a stable version for my phone, and the latter is based on touchwiz. Argh...
Anyone have any ROM recommendations for S3 please? :(

Doopliss

What does chrome have over the default browser?

More accurate page rendering
Works with HTML5 video with customised controls (e.g. on Giant Bomb)
Page translation
That magnification thing when it's not sure which link you clicked
Bandwidth saving mode
Web developer tools

coopolon

I feel like I am living in a different world. People keep ragging on chrome beta and saying dolphin is so much faster so I keep trying jetpack and keep seeing it take forever to load even just pages with text so I go back to chrome and it goes so much faster. Is there like a "make me go fast" button in dolphin that I am missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom