• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groof

As much as I enjoy Chrome's added features, the stock browser was and probably always will be a lot smoother and stabler. Which makes me sad.

Firefox.

Google needs to copy that iOS thing with the accelerometer and the panorama wallpaper. I got so many cool ideaz.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=65125921&postcount=2507

that's cool you can't even hate. They copied and that shit and took it a step further. Now google needs to do the same somehow lol. That's what competition is always good for.
panorama live wallpaper is not a new thing. play store has several lwp apps with that functionality.

Firefox.

panorama live wallpaper is not a new thing. play store has several lwp apps with that functionality.

that's not a live wallpaper though, it doesn't move on its own. It uses the sensors to know how you're moving your phone to pan around the picture in reaaaaltime. And if those apps do that then it still doesn't change the fact that google should bake it into the OS.

that's not a live wallpaper though, it doesn't move on its own. It uses the sensors to know how you're moving your phone to pan around the picture in reaaaaltime. And if those apps do that then it still doesn't change the fact that google should bake it into the OS.

why should Google bake it in? sensor based parallax scrolling apps that let you use an image of your own choosing have existed forever on Android. people aren't exactly running out to get them...

Groof

It's gimmicky as hell. If people want to use it they can get the apps that have this feature.

Why build any feature into an OS just use the apps that emulate them lol. Silly logic. It's cool that's why. It's a fun neat future. You guys think too much. Stop being haters gaddamn. you build things in the OS so they are more stable, better optimized, and could even be built into the camera software and whatnot. It would be nice. Also reading reviews for one of these apps 3D live wallpaper, lots of people complaining about general wonkyness and RAM usage and all that. Yeahhhhhhh.

Also what are one of these apps I want to try one, I'm bored. A free one of course. Aint payin forthatshit.

SimleuqiR

Why build any feature into an OS just use the apps that emulate them lol. Silly logic. It's cool that's why. It's a fun neat future. You guys think too much. Stop being haters gaddamn. you build things in the OS so they are more stable, better optimized, and could even be built into the camera software and whatnot. It would be nice. Also reading reviews for one of these apps 3D live wallpaper, lots of people complaining about general wonkyness and RAM usage and all that. Yeahhhhhhh.

Also what are one of these apps I want to try one, I'm bored. A free one of course. Aint payin forthatshit.

I say do it better and allow "Sphere" wallpapers. Vanilla Android already has the feature baked in to take these pictures. So instead of panning left to right, you can do it in all directions. When you laying down in bed, your wallpaper will be pointing up into the sphere. Fucking it! Let's one up that one too and just do street view as a wallpaper...any place in the world Just stitch the street view car 360 degree camera pictures on to the wallpaper.

i don't know if you've noticed, but Google is currently taking features out of the OS and making them downloadable addons.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Do you think Google will give out the api for music? I need a good streaming speaker setup for me android and my wife iOS and was going to buy a son is system bet there is no Google music support. Any alternatives?

Definitely understand type of screen is choice and everyone will have a different preference. The benefits of super amoled outweigh the cons compared to lcd though imo.

vdlow

Screen type is something very very personal. I argue about a lot of things related to smartphones with my friends, but screen type is something that I don't even try to discuss, because it's totally a question of taste.

But I love the colors of the AMOLED screens. I don't have problems to use LCD screens, but if I can choose, I'll surely get the AMOLED.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Definitely understand type of screen is choice and everyone will have a different preference. The benefits of super amoled outweigh the cons compared to lcd though imo.

Generally superior is better than inferior though.

Smeared blacks and not being able to see the screen in direct sunlight are a pretty impressive "pro" for AMOLED, I agree.

(Note to self: Must stop posting)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I like AMOLED. Having the notification bar and system buttons blend in with the the bezel (most of the time)... hngggg. So good. Plus I think it uses less energy (although I'd never know it with my GNex 4G, lololol.)

But I'm not for one side or the other. What matters most to me is resolution.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Amoled has good darks. LCD only seems better in sunlight imo.

No denying that. In fact the GS4 won an award for colour reproduction. The issue is when there is any movement associated with those colours, namely the shade of black. It smears into the surrounding colours/shades.

Don't get me wrong the GS4 is an excellent static digital picture frame. Personally I like balance in technology no matter how flawed it is.

If I can't scroll through the settings menu without being distracted by smearing then I can't justify spending that much money on something so unbalanced in terms of flaws.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Anyone know the best way to get group messages from iPhones to work? I get MMS/picture messages fine , and texts show up too from iPhone users if i am the only recipient, but as soon as it's a group message I don't get anything at all.

I tried enabling 'message grouping' etc in GoSMS Pro (and in the stock app...) but it still isn't working. (N4 on 4.2.2)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Since this thread is a community one, I have no problem asking. Are you all getting a PlayStation 4? I hope to have a group of people with which to play. I'm not sure my friends will get one. Not so soon, anyway.

Groof

Since this thread is a community one, I have no problem asking. Are you all getting a PlayStation 4? I hope to have a group of people with which to play. I'm not sure my friends will get one. Not so soon, anyway.

I'll be getting one for sure. Don't know if I can manage getting one at, or even near launch, but hopefully! Haven't been this hyped for video games in yeeeeeeeeeears

So I don't think i can rationally pass up on the one cent DNA deal on Amazon at this point. I can even get s decent phone for my wife. I'm a bit miffed by the no SD slot and no removable battery, but I've never needed to replacevny battery. And as long as there is a fair amount of storage I can deal with no SD slot. Everything else about the phone sounds great. especially the screen. I just can't wait unfortunately, or Id probably wait...However getting it for so cheap leaves me the option to get a new phone if I end up dissatisfied.

So thanks for the suggestion.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I finally got my hands on the Minuum keyboard. Nice. I don't think it's as fast as gesture typing but it's really slick. The extra screen space is awesome.

This keyboard, along with pie controls, gives me my screen back.

Toki767

Already have one paid off thanks to GS gift cards. Really not sure what I'll be playing though.

Matugi

Really need that new Nexus 7 to be announced soon. I'm planning on getting one for work/college so the sooner it's released, the better.

So my modem just got destroyed by water damage (thanks to me genius roommates) and I won't be able to get a new one until Monday.

Unfortunately, my carrier doesn't provide tethering with my unlimited plan (for obvious reasons). Can anyone recommend me a good app that preferably allows wi-fi tethering without carrier permission? USB tethering will do too, but having my phone connected to my PC is a bit of a pain.

I've tried a few, like Open Garden (I don't have Bluetooth.)

I've got PDANet+ working ATM through USB, but it has a data cap and seems to be turning off randomly.

So I want a program that doesn't require a root and enables unlimited wi-fi hotspot tethering. Oh, and it can't be using Bluetooth, as I don't have it on my PC. Is that asking for too much? lol

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm over getting consoles at launch. I just feel like the cost out weighs the benefit. I got an OG 360 Pro at $400 and a Wii at $250 last gen, and I finally decided to take a new course of action.

Basically no launch buying. I'll wait for a price drop, redesign, or bundle (with games I actually want in the bundle). I put this into practice with the 3ds and couldn't be happier. I waited and got the limited edition Zelda bundle for $200 verses $250 even if I'm not an ambassador.

Taking the same course of action with the next round of consoles. I'll get a PS4 waaayy before I get an XBone, but I'm not jumping in anytime soon. Get back to me a year or two after launch.

If I get anything gaming hardware wise it would be a Wii U or PS Vita this Holiday if Nintendo and Sony finally enact the price cut we all think should happen.

Currently I'm still addicted to LoL and playing my 3ds (just put it back on the charger like 5 mins ago). So I'm good for now.

Wild card might be a PS3 if they do that rumored extra slim with a price drop. It would have to be on the cheap low though.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Shit. Sorry for the double post.

yep, hopefully PS4 has MTP built in!

Yes please!

Definitely getting a PS4. Just not at launch. There's always issues with launch hardware. That and there are still to many great games for me to get through on PS+ and I still haven't opened up Metro: Last Night or BioShock Infinite. Adding to my back log of these retail games I haven't opened yet:

Blacks Ops 2
Crysis 3
Far Cry 3
God of War Ascension
Family Guy Back to the Multiverse

Until I open and beat those plus upcoming releases like South Park, Beyond and Gran Turismo 6 I have no need for next gen.

For anyone who cares, tomorrow is the day you can download the Jay-Z app which unlocks a free copy of his new album Magna Carta Holy Grail 72 hours before it's official release on July 4th. Only for the first 1 million owners of Samsung Galaxy S3, S4, and Note II.

And yeah, I'm in for a PS4 at launch. Android GAF good to be reppin' for the Quadruple at launch!

I'm tempted to do the unthinkable... sell my N4 for an S4 Google Edition. I really want LTE and swappable batteries but I don't care for the nasty glossy look nor the slippery feel of the phone. Curious what they're going to do with the screen calibration since TW lets you change it.

I'm tempted to do the unthinkable... sell my N4 for an S4 Google Edition. I really want LTE and swappable batteries but I don't care for the nasty glossy look nor the slippery feel of the phone. Curious what they're going to do with the screen calibration since TW lets you change it.

It might make more sense just to get the T-Mobile one with touchwiz and root it if the rom from the google edition can run on the tw model since it is cheaper right now(579.99 vs 629.99 I believe). Of course you could probably always install touchwiz on the google version if you wanted as well. That is why I am kind of hesitant to jump on a n4 vs a gs4. Will LTE at this point really be that much faster than hspda+? Running speed tests at a local t-mobile store didn't show much difference.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
It might make more sense just to get the T-Mobile one with touchwiz and root it if the rom from the google edition can run on the tw model since it is cheaper right now(579.99 vs 629.99 I believe). Of course you could probably always install touchwiz on the google version if you wanted as well. That is why I am kind of hesitant to jump on a n4 vs a gs4. Will LTE at this point really be that much faster than hspda+? Running speed tests at a local t-mobile store didn't show much difference.

It IS faster, but TMobile is late to the LTE game. That being said I don't know if it's so much faster that you have to drop everything now and get an LTE phone.

Of course your next phone purchase should be LTE, but they don't even make non LTE models anymore really. Honestly if you have a phone from HTC One X/XL onward like the GS3, Nexus 4, Note II etc... I see no real reason to have to upgrade even if you can sell your current device. Unless you broke your device I say roll with your current device.

Talon

LTE is about two to four times faster than HSPA between my haunts of Chicago, Ann Arbor and Atlanta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom