• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggroin

Banned
So has anyone gone through the trouble of the dumb-phone loophole with Verizon? I'm trying to figure this all out; I'm flip-flopping on the DNA because of the SD slot/low storage, which makes me hesitant to just give up on keeping my unlimited data. I barely use 2GBs anyway, so why bother? But I really don't feel like buying full price, or even spending $200 on a phone that will be left behind in a few months, knowing VZW. Part of me wants to wait for the HTC One, but specs wise it doesn't seem much different from the DNA? CPU perhaps, but knowing VZW, they will probably only release a 16GB model. Fucking hell, this is stressful.

Let's be real here, should I switch to ATT?

At&t? Da fuq

Hello guys.

I just realised that I'm still using google listen for my podcasts (yes I know it died a long time ago) and with google reader dying too, I guess it will just stop working.

What free podcast app do you guys recommend? I:

-would like to import podcasts easily, if it's via reader, much better

-Have a galaxy S one and I use it a lot and while I do other things so I wold be awesome if it was non battery and resource intensive.

Thank guys!

vdlow

So I got a Galaxy S4 today and I still haven't rooted it because of a rumor that someone posted here that 4.3 will be announced this week and OEMs have been working on it for 3 months or so. lol I think I'll wait for the OTA update and then root it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Hello guys.

I just realised that I'm still using google listen for my podcasts (yes I know it died a long time ago) and with google reader dying too, I guess it will just stop working.

What free podcast app do you guys recommend? I:

-would like to import podcasts easily, if it's via reader, much better

-Have a galaxy S one and I use it a lot and while I do other things so I wold be awesome if it was non battery and resource intensive.

Thank guys!

Antennapod

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Hangouts should soon get voice calling and SMS integration. Well, when I say soon, I mean it's a question of when, not if.

iavi

This fucking Gnex Tuna. Abandoned by Google; not considered a proper enough Galaxy by Samsung to get the Jay Z app. It's not a Nexus, it's not a Galaxy.

I need a new phone.

Groof

on android everyone already has a gtalk account. Every one of my friends with an iphone also already has a gmail account, because gmail is cool like that. It's google+ that scares the crap out of people, at least in my circles. Totally agree on the sms integration though
Same here, there's been an alarming number of people who've been vocal about not trusting g+ or whatever. I don't really understand it personally, no one's forcing you to use it and the account already exists so wtf

thespot84

This fucking Gnex Tuna. Abandoned by Google; not considered a proper enough Galaxy by Samsung to get the Jay Z app. It's not a Nexus, it's not a Galaxy.

I need a new phone.

Are you rooted? you can also get a market spoofer

EDIT: LOL the jayz app will install on my OG transformer but not on my tuna. Nice.

I need a new phone.

How is it abandoned by Google if it's still receiving Android updates?

The Jay-Z promotion applies only to Galaxy S3, S4, and Note II. That's only 3 of the over one hundred Galaxy models which have been released around the world, so it's not as if Galaxy Nexus is all alone in being left out.

And yeah, you could just get a Market Spoofer. All 1 million albums haven't been claimed yet so it's not as if you couldn't get it now.

iavi

How is it abandoned by Google if it's still receiving Android updates?

The Jay-Z promotion applies only to Galaxy S3, S4, and Note II. That's only 3 of the over one hundred Galaxy models which have been released around the world, so it's not as if Galaxy Nexus is all alone in being left out.

And yeah, you could just get a Market Spoofer. All 1 million albums haven't been claimed yet so it's not as if you couldn't get it now.

Didn't realize the promotion only applied to specific models.

Dat Z Ultra viewing angle. :O

0Ai0X7f.jpg

Groof

That thing is gargantuan.
Still a bummer that the Z, which is their flagship, has the shittiest viewing angles out of the entire Z-line.

ILoveBish

Chances of xperia z ultra coming to Verizon?

So has anyone gone through the trouble of the dumb-phone loophole with Verizon? I'm trying to figure this all out; I'm flip-flopping on the DNA because of the SD slot/low storage, which makes me hesitant to just give up on keeping my unlimited data. I barely use 2GBs anyway, so why bother? But I really don't feel like buying full price, or even spending $200 on a phone that will be left behind in a few months, knowing VZW. Part of me wants to wait for the HTC One, but specs wise it doesn't seem much different from the DNA? CPU perhaps, but knowing VZW, they will probably only release a 16GB model. Fucking hell, this is stressful.

Let's be real here, should I switch to ATT?

We do the loop hole on Verizon. 5 line plan. 3 smartphones with unlimited data, 2 dumb phones. Send upgrade when needed to dumb phone line, activate phone when it arrives, swap sim cards and reactivate dumb phone onto line. Rinse repeat.

Doopliss

The Zultra looks pretty cool, but it would be cooler with front facing stereo speakers. Have the width and height been reported anywhere? Only seeing thickness and weight stats.

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm not happy with these big screen Android devices rocking software buttons.

Thanks!

So as wide as a 3DS XL but an inch longer. I think I would need to upgrade my pockets for this thing. The square corners really won't help it in that regard, either.

The thinness makes a huge difference, the Z would fit easier in your pockets than any 3DS.

Nicktendo86

I'm not happy with these big screen Android devices rocking software buttons.

The thinness makes a huge difference, the Z would fit easier in your pockets than any 3DS.

Why not? Means we can have a bigger screen with a smaller form factor, makes perfect sense to me.

At&t? Da fuq

Haha, for the HTC One. But I don't know shit about the other networks. It was just a fleeting thought.

My wife has a basic phone with an upgrade, would the Verizon loophole work there? Could I then give her my upgrade after the fact? Also, if I do it that way, I will get the increase to 4G LTE right? I would like to try and keep the unlimited data but if it's too much of a pain I'm more likely to just give up on finagling.

Blackhead

Redarse
Why not? Means we can have a bigger screen with a smaller form factor, makes perfect sense to me.

That might make sense when you're trying to maximize screen space on 4" phones but on 6", 8", 10" devices the software system UI buttons just end up taking screen space from the content. Even in fullscreen mode—which is rarely employed by Android apps—those three blurry dots are still visibly distracting. It's pointless and annoying.

HawkeyeIC

That might make sense when you're trying to maximize screen space on 4" phones but on 6", 8", 10" devices the software system UI buttons just end up taking screen space from the content. Even in fullscreen mode—which is rarely employed by Android apps—those three blurry dots are still visibly distracting. It's pointless and annoying.

if the buttons weren't on screen, there would just be more bezel for the buttons, and you wouldn't have that screen space anyway.

damn, how can Sony be so blatant in their press releases?

** As of 19th of June 2013, outside of Japan, the Xperia Z Ultra is the only waterproof smartphone with a Full HD display on global distribution. In compliance with IP55 and IP58, Xperia Z Ultra is protected against the ingress of dust and is waterproof.

gee i wonder what waterproof smartphone with a full HD display on a global scale released just after the 19th!

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
You could always go to sprint and t-mobile, but they're like the boyfriend who makes beats in his basement or has heard of a "hot new investment"

Blackhead

Redarse
if the buttons weren't on screen, there would just be more bezel for the buttons, and you wouldn't have that screen space anyway.
Not necessarily true. Samsung managed to increase the screen from the GS3's 4.7" to the GS4's 5" while keeping the device size pretty much the same without getting rid of the bezel buttons.
Moreover tablets actually need a bezel for holding the device properly. It's not like the Nexus 10 is going to eliminate the bezel and increase to screen to 10.2". I'd rather have bezel buttons there than the annoying onscreen UI buttons that waste a lot of screen estate.

Matugi

You could always go to sprint and t-mobile, but they're like the boyfriend who makes beats in his basement or has heard of a "hot new investment"

In the case of Sprint, the hot new investment can only be found in certain cities. You follow Sprint to the city, and he/she just vanished into the night, leaving you there cold and alone with no contact at all.

In the case of T-Mobile, he/she makes beets, not beats, but hey they're cheap and you can throw them away without shame.

I'm even more confused now, thanks GAF!

I haven't been this frustrated over phones in a while. I barely break 1.5 GB a month yet I'm anxious to drop unlimited data, especially if I get a phone with 4G LTE. My wife also needs a new phone, has a basic though. It's a mess, but I've never really had any issues with Verizon, so to speak. I'm in the mood now to just say fuck it, change my plan to shared data, and go get us the DNAs at Best Buy. That's a great deal, and Verizon is still listing them at $199 or some shit. As I said, I'd love to wait for the One, but who knows when that will show. I'd be rooting the phone and probably running a custom ROM anyway, and Sense 5 is available for the DNA.

Sorry for the rambling, guess I'm looking for a nudge in any direction. My Incredible has served me well but is on it's last leg. It may be psychological but since I've decided I need a new phone I've noticed the phone is fucking slower than I recall.

tino

Banned
Not necessarily true. Samsung managed to increase the screen from the GS3's 4.7" to the GS4's 5" while keeping the device size pretty much the same without getting rid of the bezel buttons.
Moreover tablets actually need a bezel for holding the device properly. It's not like the Nexus 10 is going to eliminate the bezel and increase to screen to 10.2". I'd rather have bezel buttons there than the annoying onscreen UI buttons that waste a lot of screen estate.

I am with you. Sony should stop sucking google's dick and offer hard buttons.

Cheebo

Banned
why hurry? so people can have some text messages disappear into the void like they do with iMessage?

Because the vast majority of users won't use a separate messaging app outside their main SMS one to message people. The reason iMessage became so huge is the Messaging app used for SMS is the same app used for iMessage. It by default sends iMessage's to other iOS users and SMS's to non-iPhone users. You don't have to think about it or switch to a different chat program.

iMessage would likely have less than 5% of the users it has now if it required using a separate app from your main SMS chat application. The same issue plagues Google Hangouts. Hangouts and SMS will have to merge into the same application in the future.

I missed the part where you explain why you are ignoring the obvious best android phone on Verizon: the gs4.

I've read mixed things about it. Didn't like the feel of it. Don't want to pay the money for it, especially if I'm going to maneuver to keep my unlimited data. I'm a fan of HTC.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Have any of you guys tried any of the smartwatches out there?

I haven't, but I sort of want one. I just felt like the 1st go round of these things wouldn't be near as good as if I waited. Plus there would be more models and styles to chose from. That also should put some pressure on competitive pricing.

I might ask for one for my birthday or xmas this year.

seriously. people talk about no bezel bla bla and were amazed at the size of the Xperia ZL.

then this happened... the Samsung Galaxy S4.

barely bigger, hardware buttons!

Toki767

I haven't, but I sort of want one. I just felt like the 1st go round of these things wouldn't be near as good as if I waited. Plus there would be more models and styles to chose from. That also should put some pressure on competitive pricing.

I might ask for one for my birthday or xmas this year.

Yeah, I feel the same. I was thinking of the Kreyos Meteor though. It seems more like what I would probably want my smartwatch to do.

Blackhead

Redarse
Thoughts on them?
See my thoughts from last year: here and here. Not much has changed in a year; smartwatches are useful but still frustrating to use.

I prefer the software buttons.
Why? What do Android's software buttons provide that hardware doesn't offer (besides not breaking down so often)? If there were an option to use the PIE controls that would be one thing but the onscreen buttons are so annoying that I had install SwipeLaunch Disabler because Google Now keeps going off accidentally

gcubed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom