• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those "features" better be spectacular if the specs really are that average. Or at least have a massive battery in there. Or be cheap as FUCK. I'm talking $199.

Even still the Nexus 5 will be out 2 months later. It will be interesting to see the direction they both go. MOREEEEBATTTERYYY is what I care about most.

Toki767

i dont know what to think. You can do a mid level phone much better then what the moto X is rumored to be... and august 1st? This late in the year how much less can an S4 Pro be vs an S600?
It's weird because the S4 Pro is quad core while the regular S4 is dual core so are they really just using an S4?

gcubed

Those "features" better be spectacular if the specs really are that average. Or at least have a massive battery in there. Or be cheap as FUCK. I'm talking $199.

Even still the Nexus 5 will be out 2 months later. It will be interesting to see the direction they both go. MOREEEEBATTTERYYY is what I care about most.

i can look past a 1080 vs 720 screen as long as the 720 screen is high quality and not motorola's usual garbage. A massive battery and killer battery life would be awesome, but i dont know what to think about other features helping me ignore an s4 pro in a phone that I doubt will be priced at what I want to pay for it

If this phone creeps to $299 it's probably worthless. If it gets down to $199 and features a hefty battery. Then we might be looking at something desirable. I have a feeling they'll miss the mark.

They seem to think the phone will spark some sort of smartphone revolution and change the way people look at them and whatnot so we'll see if it's all talk very soon I guess. Huge floppage potential though. Huge.

gcubed

It's weird because the S4 Pro is quad core while the regular S4 is dual core so are they really just using an S4?

MSM8960T is an S4 Pro dual core. If they aren't going to launch as an off contract phone, they better be a free phone on contract with incentives

i can look past a 1080 vs 720 screen as long as the 720 screen is high quality and not motorola's usual garbage. A massive battery and killer battery life would be awesome, but i dont know what to think about other features helping me ignore an s4 pro in a phone that I doubt will be priced at what I want to pay for it

Unless there is massive ball droppage I would expect this phone to be priced below the Nexus 4 and available as globally as they can get. As you point out if there is a large battery and a decent size screen might actually be quite a hit the processor is not top end but its no slouch. Afterall HTC, Sony and Samsung have got the high end covered might as well go after the lower tier market to ensure no one else can sneak in.

So, which have tested the 7 most popular smartphones and, shock horror, the iPhone 5 was found to be the slowest. This really shows how great value the n4 is

http://blogs.which.co.uk/technology/...fastest-phone/
bench marks are so fucking stupid though lol. My mom has an iphone 5 and it's not slow...like at all. It's a super optimized OS. Everything zips from not only the fluidity of everything but also moving to different apps and opening stuff up and whatnot.

Benchmarks were always stupid.

EDIT: BBOY BEAT MEEEEWUttt

Groof

Just sent my Nexus 4 in for troubleshooting so I'm back to using my old shitty broken ass S2. But hey, at least them Google apps are on Play Store now!

Xperia Ion updated to 4.1.2, owners can grab it from the update service.

Xperia 2012/13 devices + version number:

S - 4.1.2*
Ion - 4.1.2*
P 4.1.2*
Go - 4.1.2*
U - 4.0.4*
Sola 4.0.4*
Tipo/Dual - 4.0.4*
Miro 4.0.4*
T/TL - 4.1.2
TX - 4.1.2
V - 4.1.2
Tablet S - 4.1.2*

Z - 4.2.2
ZL - 4.2.2
Tablet Z 4.1.2
SP - 4.1.2
L - 4.1.2
M - 4.1.2
M Dual - 4.2.2
Z Ultra 4.2.2
ZR - 4.1.2

Starred phones are no longer in Sony's update programme they will no longer be updated to new versions of Android, only bugfixes. The rest will continue to be updated to the latest versions of Android. I've heard the MSM8960 phones (T/TL/TX/V/SP) will skip 4.2.2 and jump straight to 4.3 but who really knows.

It does now mean that the early 2012 devices are finally off the roster for SMC and hopefully now that every Sony phone is running on Krait architecture it will help them streamline their update process. Going from three different architectures (Scorpion, A9, Krait) to support in Jan to just one (Krait) should be very helpful. Hopefully it means much faster updates from now on. I really hope so at least. I was pleasantly surprised at the speed at which my ZL was updated, and I really hope it gets 4.3 quickly.

VoxPop

What? I use an HTC One and iPhone 5 on an almost daily basis and the 5 certainly isn't smooth all the time. Yet my HTC One is.

To each their own I guess. I still notice the stutter lag on my One but nowhere near as bad as it used to be on my Incredible/S2/Nexus/S3/gf's Note 2, etc. It's not a dealbreaker by any means by its definitely there.

Old iPhones eventually start lagging (my 3G/4) but during its peak it usually almost never does. My iPad 3 is laggy as shit when in the App Store and certain apps. My 5 was silky smooth till the day I got rid of it for the One.

Like I said, Samsung saturates the market and then some, but I like the approach - it gives consumers more choice to find the exact device they desire.

And yet they don't have an actual like for like iPhone competitor, a high power phone in a small package. Doh.

They can't best Apple at the ugly update part.
I'm kidding

The only thing I'm waiting for on 4.3 is the better bluetooth support.

Yup. Google need to fix the Wifi and Bluetooth services on Android. They completely broke them in 4.1 and didn't fix them for 4.2, hopefully they fix it for 4.3 now.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
And yet they don't have an actual like for like iPhone competitor, a high power phone in a small package. Doh.

Folks seem to square the iPhone to the Galaxy S * anyway. so they probably don't see a need to develop one. (which is strange, I know)

Folks seem to square the iPhone to the Galaxy S * anyway. so they probably don't see a need to develop one. (which is strange, I know)

They should because 20% of iPhone buyers come from Android after not being able to find a small but powerful phone. It's a massive gap in the Android market right now and only HTC will have a product out in October that fills it and Sony in the first quarter of 2014.

They should because 20% of iPhone buyers come from Android after not being able to find a small but powerful phone. It's a massive gap in the Android market right now and only HTC will have a product out in October that fills it and Sony in the first quarter of 2014.

Which HTC product is this please? Is it the rumoured smaller version of the One? I'd be all over that if there was a stock Android version.

Groof

Haven't been to the HTC One thread in a while, but I wanted to see how people are feeling about Sense 5 now that the One's been out for a while?

Haven't been to the HTC One thread in a while, but I wanted to see how people are feeling about Sense 5 now that the One's been out for a while?
It's probably the best skin by quite a margin. Relatively simple and zooms. The weird decisions that there are 1 or 2 of don't really bother much. I've tried to use nova/apex but it just aint the same.

thespot84

Isn't it generally recommended to always wipe when flashing a new rom? Only times I didn't wipe was when I went from nightly to nightly.

i installed the RC last week. really don't want to reinstall everything again if i don't have to. I just wasn't sure if RC and stable were the same 'track' or a different fork altogether.

VoxPop

It's probably the best skin by quite a margin. Relatively simple and zooms. The weird decisions that there are 1 or 2 of don't really bother much. I've tried to use nova/apex but it just aint the same.

Honestly, if Sense5 offered an option to customize icons, grid sizes, etc like other launchers, i'd probably never use another launcher again.

Groof

Honestly, if Sense5 offered an option to customize icons, grid sizes, etc like other launchers, i'd probably never use another launcher again.

So in other words, pretty damn good. I can see why, I enjoy looking at UI screenshots out of it, looks pretty slick.

i installed the RC last week. really don't want to reinstall everything again if i don't have to. I just wasn't sure if RC and stable were the same 'track' or a different fork altogether.

Personally I'd say they're on the same track but I dunno. Don't think anything super bad would happen if you were to skip wiping however.

Also, I'm having issues restoring backups through Helium through its PC server. I do all the steps and get the restore complete message, but nothing actually happens. What am I doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom