• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does Verizon has a say in what Motorola does? I don't get it.
verizon will have a hard time selling phones that are all the same, so they don't want all android phones to rock stock.

Which is stupid because there would still be differentiators in hardware and whatnot. Also no one is really doing it aside from nexus phones so why not let motorola.

Also fuck carriers. They work for themselves, not you.

tino

Banned
verizon will have a hard time selling phones that are all the same, so they don't want all android phones to rock stock.

Which is stupid because there would still be differentiators in hardware and whatnot. Also no one is really doing it aside from nexus phones so why not let motorola.

Also fuck carriers. They work for themselves, not you.

In United States, you don't fuck the carriers, the carriers fuck you.

kinggroin

Banned
Soooo... what does this mean:

eszQa.png

I don't follow the smartphone industry too closely. But when I'm up for a new contract, I like to do my research and get the latest and greatest of whatever I can get a hold of. I stayed with ATT few years ago and at the time I was a little ticked off because it seemed like all they had was the Iphone(wasn't interested in a Iphone) while Verizon had all the good high end big screen android phones. I finally settled with the Samsung Captivate which has treated me well these past 2 years.

So my contract is up and my bro wants to go to Verizon, so we do that. And again I'm interested in getting only one of the biggest and best phones. On Verizon it seems like all they have is the Galaxy Nexus and S3. The Nexus is a bit old so the S3 looked like my only option so I got it. But there is a issue with the phone that I don't think can be fixed so I'm returning it for a Razr HD(or Maxx HD) because there is nothing else on Verizon that is relatively new with a 4.6+ inch screen. I go back and look at ATT's selection and they seem to have a plethora of options with at least half a dozen phones that I would be interested in and several more that will be out soon like the One X+, Xperia TL, and Optimus G. What the heck happened. How come ATT got all the new hotness nowadays?

Kiraly

Holy shit is this real life

5" 1080p screens in your phone, while a fair amount of mid-range laptops still sport 768p bullshit.

Welcome to the future

Holy shit is this real life

5" 1080p screens in your phone, while a fair amount of mid-range laptops still sport 768p bullshit.

Welcome to the future

The Surface has 768p too, everyone point and laugh!

I wonder what Apple is going to do when 1080p Android phones appear first. It's Resolutionary!

Angst

The Surface has 768p too, everyone point and laugh!

I wonder what Apple is going to do when 1080p Android phones appear first. It's Resolutionary!

Tim Cook said:
The human eye cannot see any difference between Retina and higher resolutions, making 1080p displays a huge battery drain with no advantage whatsoever. Also, there no way your thumb can reach across that screen

I'm intrigued by the "With Google" on the HTC phone.

"with Google" just designates that the device has qualified in the Google Experience program and officially has access to Google Play and the closed-source Google Apps. There's nothing exciting about it.

I think it's interesting that the LG Optimus G is going to be available on AT&T and Sprint, but not Verizon. But the LG Nexus 4 is supposedly built on the Optimus G's hardware platform. What if this means that as with the Galaxy Nexus, the Nexus 4 will again be carrier-exclusive to Verizon (hence no need for a Verizon Optimus G) and sold unlocked on Google Play? I know that later on Sprint got the Galaxy Nexus too, but it seems strange to me that Verizon is ignoring this new flagship LG device, especially since Verizon actually got the Optimus Vu (LG Intuition).

Angst

"with Google" just designates that the device has qualified in the Google Experience program and officially has access to Google Play and the closed-source Google Apps. There's nothing exciting about it.

I think it's interesting that the LG Optimus G is going to be available on AT&T and Sprint, but not Verizon. But the LG Nexus 4 is supposedly built on the Optimus G's hardware platform. What if this means that as with the Galaxy Nexus, the Nexus 4 will again be carrier-exclusive to Verizon (hence no need for a Verizon Optimus G) and sold unlocked on Google Play? I know that later on Sprint got the Galaxy Nexus too, but it seems strange to me that Verizon is ignoring this new flagship LG device, especially since Verizon actually got the Optimus Vu (LG Intuition).
Isn't the bolded part what the fake rumour said a few weeks back? I.e. there has been no confirmation whatsoever about any Google Experience program?

Isn't the bolded part what the fake rumour said a few weeks back? I.e. there has been no confirmation whatsoever about any Google Experience program?

Umm, what?

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/07/18/the-google-experience-opinion/

The idea of “Google experience” devices has existed for a long time. Early android devices that provided a sanctioned Google experience were labeled on the back of the device with the phrase “with Google.” In time, this label disappeared, but the notion that some devices offered an explicitly sanctioned experience by Google did not.

Old article: http://www.mobilespoon.net/2009/07/what-is-google-experience.html

My old Droid X had 'with Google' written on the back. This is not new news. The 'with Google' went away when it looked like Google had established that their Android was the official one. What's interesting is that Google seems to be bringing it back, possibly because of Amazon Kindle Fire and Alibaba Aliyun forking the shit out of Android and trying to establish their own ecosystems.

Doopliss

I don't like it just for the fact that the app button is in the top left. You shittin' me?
I think it's a image of the app drawer (just not populated with apps). Pressing the top left would take you back to the home screen, but you could alternatively press the home or back button to get there.

If it's just a button to take you to the app drawer it isn't following the Android design guidelines at all, which is a big problem as it's in one of the most visible places in the OS.

It says it on the back of the HTC J as well, which seems to have been out for a few months. It's probably just how they brand their Android phones. I doubt it means anything special.

JordanKZ

Give me that J Butterfly, with on screen buttons, make it slightly thicker so it can have a bigger battery and make it a nexus device.

Fucking DAY ONE.

Toki767

Give me that J Butterfly, with on screen buttons, make it slightly thicker so it can have a bigger battery and make it a nexus device.

Fucking DAY ONE.

Yeah, if it had on screen buttons with stock UI I'd probably pay for an unlocked version even though I still love my Galaxy S III. It just looks so incredible.

Steelrain

Hey Android-GAF. I just ordered my first tablet for me and my girl and its an Ainol Novo 7 Crystal.

So, I haven't heard anything negative really and I got one for me and my girlfriend because we have very little experience with one. Also, since I paid less than $100 bucks for each I thought that was cheap enough to test the waters.

But...now I'm wondering if I did the right thing. What do you guys think?

Good Enough?

Kiraly

Haven't got any experiences with them, but on a mainstream Dutch forum I regularly visit they're absolutely crazy about Ainol tablets. They're cheap and give great value for the price you pay. I believe the Crystal is the follow-up to the Aurora II? That one got loads of praise, I'd say you made an excellent choice (in Chinese tablet territory).

Steelrain

Haven't got any experiences with them, but on a mainstream Dutch forum I regularly visit they're absolutely crazy about Ainol tablets. They're cheap and give great value for the price you pay. I believe the Crystal is the follow-up to the Aurora II? That one got loads of praise, I'd say you made an excellent choice (in Chinese tablet territory).

Apparently it's the followup to the Elf II.

Thanks for your thoughts, I feel better now lol.

tino

Banned
The HTC Jesus phone has buttons. Interesting. And the HTC J was an One S variant in Japan? Nothing makes sense over there.

I think it will come out on Verizon, probably not going to be a Nexus phone. Hopefully not as Incredible Butterful LOL. I hope HTC give it a good name, this new halo phone really deserve it.

The Verge has a staff in Japan who is a gaffer, he posts in the camera thread from time to time.

edit: yes thats him

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Super-LCD2 is already best in class screen wise on the One X and then HTC says yo we got a 1080p Super-LCD3 screen over here. Wanna check it out?!?!

Problem is everyone will want to check it out, but nobody will actually buy the phone.

Why is the battery so bad on the HTC J anyway. You would think such a big screen would require more battery life but it has less than the One X+.

If only HTC made Nexus phones....(and with on screen keys). I'm interested to see how this new 5" screen handles blacks, which has always been LCD's weakness against Amoled displays. I'll trade accurate colour representation on my phone for the vividness of amoled and perfect blacks. But if LCD can get close to perfect blacks, then I'm all in.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
It's a great irony that despite all the options and variety with android phones, there's never that one perfect one. So very annoying.

It's a great irony that despite all the options and variety with android phones, there's never that one perfect one. So very annoying.

They should all work together to create the dream phone.

Sony, camera module,

HTC build quality,

Google software,

Samsung, Super Amoled true RGB at 1080p!!! (Yeah, not going to happen for a while that)

Qualcomm - Dat Snapdragon S4

Motorola, stupidly large battery in slim design

Maybe LG can cheer everyone on?

Also, who makes the best speakers?

Divvy

Realistically I would just like an HTC nexus with a sony camera and software keys that comes in a colour not black/white/grey.

Divvy

are sony cameras that good? the one on my x10 (i know it's 2 year old phone) isn't that good.

Well the two phones with arguably the best current cameras on a smartphone have sony sensors, the S3 and the iPhone. I don't know why they don't use those sensors on their own phones, who the hell knows.

yogloo

I was actually thinking about the same thing while reading all the posts. It thought something similar to the padphone would really close to perfection if they upped the resolution of the tablet and add in capacitative stylus.

Mr Swine

Banned
So guys, the Samsung Galaxy S3 mini is the same as a Galaxy S Advance right? With only 256MB of more memory and with Jelly Bean but at a higher price? When is Samsung gonna give S Advance Jelly Bean if the hardware is more or less identical?

Not sure how Motorola has to cow tow to Verizon...

Just put your phones on other carriers...

Verizon should only get a say in some apps that go on the phone, not the UI

all those Nokia phones use to look the same too.

also...

DAT HTC J BUTTA BABY

that's some new hotness shit right there...

just please have a micro sdxc slot please for the love of God... oh and i'll hold out for the inevitable HTC One J+ Beats Edition. I'm sure it will be an AT&T exlusive, unless Verizon grabs this and calls it the Droid Omega or something...

gcubed

Not sure how Motorola has to cow tow to Verizon...

Just put your phones on other carriers...

Verizon should only get a say in some apps that go on the phone, not the UI

all those Nokia phones use to look the same too.

also...

DAT HTC J BUTTA BABY

that's some new hotness shit right there...

just please have a micro sdxc slot please for the love of God... oh and i'll hold out for the inevitable HTC One J+ Beats Edition. I'm sure it will be an AT&T exlusive, unless Verizon grabs this and calls it the Droid Omega or something...

i'm sure the "droid" branding comes with a ton of advertising money from Verizon, and thats basically the only place Moto gets pushed. Until moto gets a better grasp on promoting their own product instead of relying on carriers they are stuck.

I expect it to change in 8-12 months once all the Googlerola kinks are worked out, but as of right now they need a steady source of income, and Verizon is basically it.

The HTC is rumored on Verizon

Futureman

if the Nexus program is true and successful, that would mean 25 NEXUS PHONES over the next 5 years.

wonder where we'll be in 5 more years? 10 years after the first iPhone. We should make predictions and put them in a NeoGAF time-capsule and openin' 'em up in 2017 LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom