• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

W1SSY

Soooo... what does this mean:

eszQa.png
Apparently it is a launcher from the dude that made tweet lanes. Story is below.
http://www.androidcentral.com/action-launcher-developer-tweet-lanes

buhdeh

This is great for me since I have the S3's Touchwiz calendar app, which is really ugly.

FUCK yes. So retarded that it only connects with the touchwiz email app and not Gmail.

Would be great if Google released all the gapps to replace the touchwiz crap.

gimmmick

if the Nexus program is true and successful, that would mean 25 NEXUS PHONES over the next 5 years.

wonder where we'll be in 5 more years? 10 years after the first iPhone. We should make predictions and put them in a NeoGAF time-capsule and openin' 'em up in 2017 LOL

IOS 11 will still look and feel like IOS3.

It doesn't sound Nexus related. Maybe 4.2 or more Google Now stuff though.
well we already have the multiple nexus rumour for quite some time, we know that the LG nexus will be announced on the 29th. Could be they announce multiple nexus (or nexus certified/nexus ready) phones.

It's wishful thinking (the Nexii stuff) but the LG nexus I think is the only definite.

i've got an upgrade available on my plan right now (t-mobile), any opinions on what i should get? i'm leaning towards a gs3 but the whole ridiculous phone arms race also makes me feel like waiting for something even better.

Toki767

i've got an upgrade available on my plan right now (t-mobile), any opinions on what i should get? i'm leaning towards a gs3 but the whole ridiculous phone arms race also makes me feel like waiting for something even better.

I'd wait to see how the whole Nexus stuff pans out. The GS3 is a solid choice though.

the nexus 4 is definitely going to be the LG phone right? anybody have any experience with LG hardware? never used one, but i've had samsung and HTC stuff that i've loved...i am still on an htc sensation 4g which more or less still works perfectly.

i'm especially looking for something with good battery life and a good camera and it seems like htc's one series and the s3 probably have the best cameras on android hardware. anybody know anything about LG's camera's on their phones?

the nexus 4 is definitely going to be the LG phone right? anybody have any experience with LG hardware? never used one, but i've had samsung and HTC stuff that i've loved...i am still on an htc sensation 4g which more or less still works perfectly.

i'm especially looking for something with good battery life and a good camera and it seems like htc's one series and the s3 probably have the best cameras on android hardware. anybody know anything about LG's camera's on their phones?
it's hard to say. In the past LG has been spotty but they've seriously stepped it up just recently with their Optimus G and 4X lines. The LG nexus is based on the optimus G. Specs should be the tops, screen should be great, build quality is apparently good. The only things we're unsure about is storage space, camera it's using, and battery. LG cameras are usually not great.

But yeah, if it's based on the optimus G (which it is) it will be SOLID regardless, and easily the fastest phone on the market (because of the S4 cpu and pure android). Battery on the optimus is 2100 so if the LG nexus has the same, that's very solid. Camera is the real spotty spot. It all depends on what module the final version is. All we've seen is the prototype.

It's simple though, do you care about pure android and getting android updates first? If not then just get the S3 if you want.

it's hard to say. In the past LG has been spotty but they've seriously stepped it up just recently with their Optimus G and 4X lines. The LG nexus is based on the optimus G. Specs should be the tops, screen should be great, build quality is apparently good. The only things we're unsure about is storage space, camera it's using, and battery. LG cameras are usually not great.

But yeah, if it's based on the optimus G (which it is) it will be SOLID regardless, and easily the fastest phone on the market (because of the S4 cpu and pure android). Battery on the optimus is 2100 so if the LG nexus has the same, that's very solid. Camera is the real spotty spot. It all depends on what module the final version is. All we've seen is the prototype.

It's simple though, do you care about pure android and getting android updates first? If not then just get the S3 if you want.
yeah it seems like the the LG nexus is going to be somewhere in that 2100 battery range. i once thought i cared about getting early updates and had the nexus one but now that i think about it i'm not sure i really care that much since i have been using the sensation for a year now and haven't even really thought about it. i'll probably end up going with the s3 but i figure i'll wait for at least the LG announcement and check out the inevitable comparison tests.

buhdeh

yeah it seems like the the LG nexus is going to be somewhere in that 2100 battery range. i once thought i cared about getting early updates and had the nexus one but now that i think about it i'm not sure i really care that much since i have been using the sensation for a year now and haven't even really thought about it. i'll probably end up going with the s3 but i figure i'll wait for at least the LG announcement and check out the inevitable comparison tests.

Have you seen TouchWiz? Because it's hella ugly and destroys an otherwise modern looking OS. If you're okay with the amateur and kiddy design stylings of TouchWiz then it's not a bad choice but IMO even Sense is more attractive than TouchWiz.

thuway

Have you seen TouchWiz? Because it's hella ugly and destroys an otherwise modern looking OS. If you're okay with the amateur and kiddy design stylings of TouchWiz then it's not a bad choice but IMO even Sense is more attractive than TouchWiz.

I agree, I don't mean to sound racist in any way, but Samsung's advertising and design skills are very much catered to the Korean market. The "designed for humans" and strange marketing is something that feels very much lost in translation.

VanWinkle

I don't think the Touchwiz launcher is bad looking, but their apps (phone, calendar, contacts, etc) are very ugly. However, I can't really say I dislike Touchwiz because it actually does add some great features. I think LG's launcher is way uglier, myself (but that's beside the point).

buhdeh

I don't think the Touchwiz launcher is bad looking, but their apps (phone, calendar, contacts, etc) are very ugly. However, I can't really say I dislike Touchwiz because it actually does add some great features. I think LG's launcher is way uglier, myself (but that's beside the point).

Yeah the launcher is barely there but the theming in the dialer, messaging, and S Planner... hooooo boy. I installed CM10 on my S3 and the dialer is just so much more professionally done, especially with the HD contact photos.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
199 32gb N7. 99 8gb N7

I'm more hyped for this honestly. I'm not sold on the 32 gig $200 version though. I still think it'll just be the 16 gig version lowered from $250 to $200. Still a sweet deal though. Plus I'd buy the funk out of a $99 N7 as a kid gift for Xmas as they wouldn't care about the changes to get it down to $99.

pmLxdl.png
ssPGbl.png

You want it, you got it. Erm, or you can at least ask for it. Google tonight has turned on Wish Lists in the Google Play Store.

The mechanism is simple. Find something you want in Google Play, and then hit the bookmark button on that page. That adds it to your "Wish List." We don't yet see a way to send that wish list to anyone, or to have anyone other than you pay for it. So basically you're making a list of things you want to buy later.

http://www.androidcentral.com/google-adds-wish-lists-google-play-store

forward on

tino

Banned
My google event prediction:

Nexus 7 8GB $99 16GB $149 32GB $249
Nexus 4 8GB $399 16GB $449
Nexus 10 (2560X2600) 16GB $499 32GB $599

GatorBait

Android 5.0

Believe

Well, we just got 4.1.2, and all signs point to the next iteration being another incremental update, though with more substance (4.2).

However, does anyone feel like 5.0 is going to just absolutely hammer home all the polish that began with 4.0/4.1? Duarte has said he only feels like the team is like 1/3rd of the way there to getting Android to where he wants it to be; he strikes me as a man on a mission. We are already seeing some of the major annoyances falling one-by-one during incremental upgrades (removing old apps in Google Play, fixing contact picture sync, pinch-to-zoom in Gmail)...I'm pretty giddy to see what's in store for the next major update.

Nicktendo86

I agree, I don't mean to sound racist in any way, but Samsung's advertising and design skills are very much catered to the Korean market. The "designed for humans" and strange marketing is something that feels very much lost in translation.

That's not racist at all :)

its xenophobic ;)

Only kidding. Regarding the new calendar app, why oh why don't they make a 1x1 widget so the icon can display the current date?

Futureman

Maybe the $99 Nexus 7 will have NO storage? Put in like 1 GB to help cache streaming stuff (like Apple TV)? Push it as an all-streaming device/internet tablet along with a cheaper Q?

gcubed

Well, we just got 4.1.2, and all signs point to the next iteration being another incremental update, though with more substance (4.2).

However, does anyone feel like 5.0 is going to just absolutely hammer home all the polish that began with 4.0/4.1? Duarte has said he only feels like the team is like 1/3rd of the way there to getting Android to where he wants it to be; he strikes me as a man on a mission. We are already seeing some of the major annoyances falling one-by-one during incremental upgrades (removing old apps in Google Play, fixing contact picture sync, pinch-to-zoom in Gmail)...I'm pretty giddy to see what's in store for the next major update.

when they merge messaging i'll believe

Maybe the $99 Nexus 7 will have NO storage? Put in like 1 GB to help cache streaming stuff (like Apple TV)? Push it as an all-streaming device/internet tablet along with a cheaper Q?
And break compatibility with pretty much every app out there? No chance.

I'd be amazed if it wasn't part of the specification for Android to have a certain amount of storage.

My super realistic predictions for event:

Nexus 4 phone
32gb Nexus 7
Android 4.2

My maybes:
multiple nexus/expansion of nexus program
$99 nexus 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom