• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd get if if I were a student just starting university or something. Very affordable alternative to simple note taking, web browsing, and whatnot....

But besides that, lol chromebook.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I wish I could get a changelog for Swype. Seems like some nice changes - I know they fixed the weird copy of last word bug, and "I" now defaults as a capital - but the Swype icon no longer selects the whole word. :(

malyce

So Samsung is the first to the market with an A-15, I wonder what the performance is like compared to swift and Snapdragon.

Today I returned my GS3 and ordered a Razr Maxx HD at Newegg. The Verizon price was ridiculously high($299+2 year contract), but several online retailers like Newegg are selling the Razer Maxx HD(as well as the Razr HD) at a much cheaper price($199). I probably won't get it till Monday, but I'm looking forward to it. I liked the S3, but it gave me a nagging issue that I couldn't get over. The Razr should solve that problem as well as giving me all day battery life. I can't wait to see how good the battery life actually is.

Today I returned my GS3 and ordered a Razr Maxx HD at Newegg. The Verizon price was ridiculously high($299+2 year contract), but several online retailers like Newegg are selling the Razer Maxx HD(as well as the Razr HD) at a much cheaper price($199). I probably won't get it till Monday, but I'm looking forward to it. I liked the S3, but it gave me a nagging issue that I couldn't get over. The Razr should solve that problem as well as giving me all day battery life. I can't wait to see how good the battery life actually is.

battery life should be better than Ric Flair's career. what was the nagging issue?

battery life should be better than Ric Flair's career. what was the nagging issue?

I posted about it several times in the GS3 thread. But basically I thought my WiFI was cutting off randomly, although I noticed I could still browse the web, just couldn't watch videos. I exchanged it and discovered the same problem. Then I realize it only happened during calls. I thought I figured it out, then I later realize that it only happened while using my bluetooth headset during a call. I tested this several times and am sure that's the root of all this.

My sister in law also has a GS3 and the same exact thing happened when I tested hers. It may be a pet peeve to some of you guys, but it's a deal breaker for me. My GF is away at college and we're on the phone a lot(her demands) so unless I'm at my computer, I want to be able to use my smartphone for stuff like watching videos while I'm on call with her. My bro has the OG Razr and he doesn't have the same problems and I wanted another big screen smart phone so the Razr Maxx HD arrived just in time thankfully.

it would be dope if google just turned the industry upside down and released a maxed out official Google Phone w/ Chrome Mobile OS (not Android) and competed directly with itself and the iphone....

i would buy it, it too would support the play store and all the google apps...

thing is, would it need to have a similar framework to android for the apps to work on it?

would probably have to be a forked version of android, wouldn't it?

ok after thinking through this that might be kind of a waste of time.

what a rollercoaster ride of a post.

I posted about it several times in the GS3 thread. But basically I thought my WiFI was cutting off randomly, although I noticed I could still browse the web, just couldn't watch videos. I exchanged it and discovered the same problem. Then I realize it only happened during calls. I thought I figured it out, then I later realize that it only happened while using my bluetooth headset during a call. I tested this several times and am sure that's the root of all this.

My sister in law also has a GS3 and the same exact thing happened when I tested hers. It may be a pet peeve to some of you guys, but it's a deal breaker for me. My GF is away at college and we're on the phone a lot(her demands) so unless I'm at my computer, I want to be able to use my smartphone for stuff like watching videos while I'm on call with her. My bro has the OG Razr and he doesn't have the same problems and I wanted another big screen smart phone so the Razr Maxx HD arrived just in time thankfully.

The Razr HD Maxx should have released 4 months ago around same time as the Galaxy S3. At this point, I feel it should have released with a S4 Pro and 2GB of ram especially for $299. Either way it will be a solid device and you will be able to go 2 days with the MAXX battery and power efficiency of the S4, unless you are watching videos all day long.

Doopliss

it would be dope if google just turned the industry upside down and released a maxed out official Google Phone w/ Chrome Mobile OS (not Android) and competed directly with itself and the iphone....

thing is, would it need to have a similar framework to android for the apps to work on it?

Ignoring the technical stuff, how would this OS be different to Android?

tino

Banned

Why would anyone do it? The only adventage Chrome has over Android is it can run google doc properly. (And being able to edit my google map. But I am the only one who want that function.)

Ignoring the technical stuff, how would this OS be different to Android?

Well I guess I was just thinking thus would be there closed source OS with a Jesusphone that they could max out the specs on like the iPhone...or maybe even a little like how a Surface phone would be on WP8.

And it could make sense since the app store is no longer the android app store. And they could keep android open source for third party manufacturers...

Details would have to be streamlined and lawyers would have to work overtime. But if they really wanted to do this it could work. But I'm just not sure it makes economical sense.

Its kind of just "not necessary"

Donos

Google panicking before the WP8 phone reveal which will shake the smartphone industry... I for one welcome our new WP overlords.

Next: Google thunderstruck by new released bing.com wallpapers.

gutshot

So my mother-in-law just got a Nexus 7 and it's been stuck on the installing update screen for the past 30 minutes. Is that a bad sign? Somehow I don't think upgrading to 4.1.2 should take that long. If we restart it will that brick it?

popeutlal

Best Buy's own tablet http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insigni...bolsp-app06-10?id=1218808391135&skuId=6815166

6815166_sa.jpg

6815166_ba.jpg

Patriots7

Well I guess I was just thinking thus would be there closed source OS with a Jesusphone that they could max out the specs on like the iPhone...or maybe even a little like how a Surface phone would be on WP8.

And it could make sense since the app store is no longer the android app store. And they could keep android open source for third party manufacturers...

Details would have to be streamlined and lawyers would have to work overtime. But if they really wanted to do this it could work. But I'm just not sure it makes economical sense.

Its kind of just "not necessary"
I would hope that this is their future plan. Page didn't include Android in the future growth platforms of Google, instead focusing on Chrome

So my mother-in-law just got a Nexus 7 and it's been stuck on the installing update screen for the past 30 minutes. Is that a bad sign? Somehow I don't think upgrading to 4.1.2 should take that long. If we restart it will that brick it?

No it should not take that long, give it as long as you can then restart it.

Steelrain

So, I received my Ainol Crystal 7 today and I gotta say....I`m pretty happy with it. This is my first real experience with the Android OS and so far everything is going pretty good. The device itself is actually pretty nice and sturdy (I though it was going to be kinda shoddy from what I heard from other people and Chinese tablets) which was nice. Also, the reseller rooted it for me already so that is one less thing I have to worry about :D Jellybean is super smooth too so I don`t have to worry about getting annoyed at that. Overall I think $100 was a steal for these things and I`m glad I got them now.

Now I just hope my girlfriend likes hers.....

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Sooo suposedly Verizon is going to start rolling out ICS for the Droid Bionic today. This was suppose to have been done months ago, but then never happened. This lead people to believe it wouldn't ever happen, but I guess it is.

Anyways chalk up another phone moving from the 2.3 Gingerbread slice of the Android pie to the 4.0+ ICS part of the pie. It'll be nice in another few years when ICS becomes a base line like Froyo.

This is why verizon wants WP around as a third platform. They want another viable platform around in case Google/Android attempts to assert more control.

Google to Carriers:

I know you're out there. I can feel you now. I know that you're afraid. You're afraid of us. You're afraid of change. I don't know the future. I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it's going to begin. I'm going to hang up this phone, and then I'm going to show these people what you don't want them to see. I'm going to show them a world … without you. A world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries; a world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.

queue credits/RATM

I'll just leave this here.

Dang.

I guess if we're still playing into the multi-Nexus rumor, then I guess Google is going to show the Nexus 10, this tablet; a revised Nexus 7 with 3G, and possibly the $99 version; the LG Nexus 4; and hopefully a Nexus 5, based on HTC's Droid Incredible X.

Likewise, I would love to see a "Nexus Xperia Play", with at least a high-end dual-core processor, and the Playstation Mobile store already loaded. I'm also guessing they'll update the Galaxy Nexus with a slight bump in spec, and position it as their cheapest phone ($300 would be the sweat point).

2 Questions:

1 - is Chrome OS and Android interoperatable (Can I run .apks on the Chromebook?)?

2 - Why not add a touchscreen? They'll be standard on laptops in a year, if that, and cost pennies!

gcubed

we knew about the Nexus 10, everyone assumes it will be mid next year, it would be awesome to see a peak of it next week.

As far as touchscreens on laptops, i still haven't seen one that doesn't negatively affect the screen

gutshot

No it should not take that long, give it as long as you can then restart it.

Thanks for the help. We eventually restarted it and, thankfully, it booted up fine but didn't have 4.1.2 installed. I guess it got stuck in-between downloading and installing the update? Anyway, we retried installing and it worked that time.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/1...-confirms-most-specs-and-that-god-awful-name/

Looks like these may be the final specs for the Nexus 4... Guess we already knew most of this though but hey something for the "omg only 8gb" crowd.

4.7" 1280x768 display
Quad-core APQ8064 CPU
2GB RAM
8GB/16GB on-board storage
8MP rear shooter, 1.3MP front
2100mAh battery
9.1mm thick
Android "JB MR1"

At 9.1mm thick, I wish they threw in a 2500mAh battery. Also if it's the same camera as the AT&T Optimus G, it's mediocre at best.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/1...-confirms-most-specs-and-that-god-awful-name/

Looks like these may be the final specs for the Nexus 4... Guess we already knew most of this though but hey something for the "omg only 8gb" crowd.

4.7" 1280x768 display
Quad-core APQ8064 CPU
2GB RAM
8GB/16GB on-board storage
8MP rear shooter, 1.3MP front
2100mAh battery
9.1mm thick
Android "JB MR1"

Judging from a preview I read on the Optimus G the other day the battery life isn't going to be that great on a 2100mah battery. Perhaps Google will be able to squeeze a bit more life out of it on stock Android, but it doesn't look like its going to be near the market leaders. :(

I'm also starting to think that the Nexus 4 will be GSM/HSDPA only, with no LTE. I just can't see LG producing a Nexus for Google with the same feature set as the Optimus G. They need the Optimus to have an edge in some areas so the Nexus doesn't cannibalise its sales. Hopefully no LTE modem would have a positive effect on battery life.

Just a guess though, only 10 days to go until we find out what Google have up their sleeves.

YesssssSss, it has a 2100 battery and not less. And you guys were all going nuts about prototype hardware.

2100 is SOLID, I wouldn't use the Optimus G has a measurement tool, their software is probably fucking it up more than it should. It's no 2500 on the razr hd, but it's definitely better than most phones that have come out this past year/recent years/still coming out now. I mean I want more battery but just look at what the One X is packing, look at what the recent sony phones are packing. 2100 is still a step up.

Also I still don't understand how this phone wouldn't have LTE. Carriers simply wouldn't even want to sell the phone without LTE. That and it's almost 2013 :/ There will probably be an LTE free version though that google sells on their store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom