• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
2100mAH without removable battery is just as bad as the usual HTC stuff.

Although without LTE, it should last a bit longer.

Except the HTC One X shipped with a 1800mah battery. Which is much worse. I've never used an extra battery in my life so I guess I just don't care.

malyce

Judging from a preview I read on the Optimus G the other day the battery life isn't going to be that great on a 2100mah battery. Perhaps Google will be able to squeeze a bit more life out of it on stock Android, but it doesn't look like its going to be near the market leaders. :(

I'm also starting to think that the Nexus 4 will be GSM/HSDPA only, with no LTE. I just can't see LG producing a Nexus for Google with the same feature set as the Optimus G. They need the Optimus to have an edge in some areas so the Nexus doesn't cannibalise its sales. Hopefully no LTE modem would have a positive effect on battery life.

Just a guess though, only 10 days to go until we find out what Google have up their sleeves.
huh??
Using the AT&T model for a full day as I normally do brought the 2,100 mAh battery down to around 20 percent after 10 or so hours. That's about on par with what I experience on both the iPhone 5 and Galaxy S III. I have not experimented heavily with the Eco mode, which theoretically could extend the phone's longevity by quite a bit. I'll report back after I've done more thorough testing. Both models had no trouble picking up a signal and call quality was fine. There is still no Sprint LTE in my — or most — cities, but the AT&T model posted great speeds.

Stock should help with that and when compared to the galaxy nexus, between new the screen, SoC and a ~400 mah bump it battery it'll be just fine... Throw some custom ROMs and kernels into the mix and it'll be beautiful.

As far a the Nexus Cannibalizing the G's sales... Nexus phones appeal to a very niche market. LG has nothing to worry about.

Engadget liked the battery life as well, They also said the S4 basically shits on everything out there. but I'll just quote the battery part:

. As such, we're pretty sure most people will have no problems using the Optimus G for an entire day. Heavy users can use "Eco Mode," a setting which extends battery life by dynamically switching between quad- and dual-core operation.

keep in mind that's still running ICS and not Jellybean, AND it's running with LGs stuff on it.

edit: and that is the battery with LTE as well.

huh??

Stock should help with that and when compared to the galaxy nexus, between new the screen, SoC and a ~400 mah bump it battery it'll be just fine... Throw some custom ROMs and kernels into the mix and it'll be beautiful.

As far a the Nexus Cannibalizing the G's sales... Nexus phones appeal to a very niche market. LG has nothing to worry about.

Well that's a better write-up than what I read the other day, can't remember for the life of me where I saw it though. The writer claimed he only got a couple of hours screen-on time out of it before it died. If it's keeping up with the iPhone 5 and Galaxy S3's of the world then great!

As for cannabilising the sales, I only say that as LG don't seem to have the greatest of reputations, and if Joe Public walks into a store and is told that the Google Nexus and LG Optimus are exactly the same phone, I think he's probably going walk away with the Nexus. I can see LG wanting to nerf the Nexus in some way so that doesn't happen (that is of course if it is going to be offered by carriers....and the US carrier scence confuses the hell out of me so I'm not even going to attempt to guess what the results of that would be!)

HTC Droid Incredible Butterfly.

I don't know how I feel about another HTC phone.

I'm currently on an OG Incredible and I'm pretty sick of sense. Aren't the bootloaders locked on all HTC devices?

All I want is a flagship phone running stock! Is that so difficult?

Dunno. I want a Nexus so badly. but why do I even want stock android when i would still want to flash roms anyway... aokp just gives a little more customization and they are starting to add features not available in stock android.

plus i've decided, the next phone i get has to have an sd slot. until they start making phones that start at 32gb and move up to 64gb i need an sd card slot.

if nexus 4 had 32gb and lte, i'd be on board. not going to go backwards up in this piece.

thing is its not even the speed that bothers me, hspa+ is fine, but it's the fact that if i'm not on an lte phone at&t will throttle my unlimited plan at 3gb instead of 5gb

buhdeh

LOL no 2011 models to JB. Sad, these phones should've come out with ICS in the first place. That's like if Apple stopped supporting the 4S.

More reason to never go for anything but a Nexus. There's absolutely no reason for 1 year old (Sony) flagship phones to be effectively discontinued. Seems like most manufacturers are happy doing one update then giving up on the phone.

reKon

Banned
That would be awesome if there was development on these droid razr phone's. I know I'm always all over them, but honestly they are most well built reliable phones you can buy now a days with great battery life and radio connection.

3phemeral

LOL no 2011 models to JB. Sad, these phones should've come out with ICS in the first place. That's like if Apple stopped supporting the 4S.

More reason to never go for anything but a Nexus. There's absolutely no reason for 1 year old (Sony) flagship phones to be effectively discontinued. Seems like most manufacturers are happy doing one update then giving up on the phone.

It's funny. I always assumed that once a new version of Android came out, manufacturers that have phones speced to handle it would by default have it. But I guess that's the curse of manufacturer-driven diversity.

I'm also curious about these multiple Nexus devices. What's the incentive for these manufacturers? Are they meant to be just standard development editions of that iteration of hardware? Can't see that happening if they end up changing the hardware to differentiate from the hardware it's based off of.

catmincer

They just want you to buy a new phone. It does suck considering they mentioned 18 months of upgrades.

It's funny. I always assumed that once a new version of Android came out, manufacturers that have phones speced to handle it would by default have it. But I guess that's the curse of manufacturer-driven diversity.

they really are making too many phones.

they should have six phones per year...max

Flagship

Mid level

Low end

and then six months later have upgrades to those phones (possibly with different designs or new features)

wash rinse repeat....

but i guess the billions and trillions of people in the world need more choices

can't hate on that, but they have to be able to slim down on their fat handed phone making...flooding the market with androids so that we can activate 1 million+ per day, ha.

another annoying thing about Android is the non stop fucking updates for apps. Which is of course a symptom of there being so many goddamn phones they have to support. It's excessive.

buhdeh

Pretty crappy for people who don't buy high end phones either. I doubt my brother's HTC One V will ever be updated to JB. No update for the Xperia U either.

I'm sticking with Nexus once the N4 is out. I wonder how long consumers are going to be willing to have their phones discontinued after a year.

Threi

notag
Pretty crappy for people who don't buy high end phones either. I doubt my brother's HTC One V will ever be updated to JB. No update for the Xperia U either.

This is why I support low(er) end Nexus phones that are more affordable (kinda like the nexus 7)

Google should do that much more often.

gcubed

another annoying thing about Android is the non stop fucking updates for apps. Which is of course a symptom of there being so many goddamn phones they have to support. It's excessive.

fuck that shit, i love the updates, it makes me fell warm and fuzzy inside when i see an update. Also, it shouldn't matter as 80% of them don't require any kind of user intervention.

However, for an infinitesimal segment of the human population, October 15th was marked by a frenetic search for answers fueled by an anxiety that can only come from leaked photos of an up-and-coming piece of shiny new tech.

I faked the Sony Nexus X. Truly sorry. But I did come away from the experience with a few observations. I will share these musings, along with how and why I created these fakes.

But first, here’s a ROUGH timeline of how this hoax played out.

http://anatomyofahoax.tumblr.com/

someone put up a long article about how they faked the Sony Nexus

snacknuts

we all knew her

I don't feel like my Android apps update any more often than my iPhone apps did.

I don't feel like my Android apps update any more often than my iPhone apps did.
as someone that uses an iphone with tons of apps and a nexus 7 with less apps, the nexus 7 is constantly updating. The same fucking apps too, over and over. Never notice any changes for me because they're mostly fixes for one of the trillion other phones.

tino

Banned

I set it to only update on wifi. None of these updates are essentaul, really.

You can also turn off the update on most of the apps.

Cipherr

Over the years and way back in the day when I first started ripping my CD's I never took care of the metadata. So with my library uploaded to Google Music, sometimes I load it and start correcting and fixing album art and album data.....then before I know it an hour has passed.

Good lord I can lose a lot of time fixing that. I just cannot stand that so many thousands of songs are incorrectly or not tagged at all. I have to fix them

:twitch:

JCX

Considering a phone upgrade because my 3VO keeps breaking, but I feel should I wait until the next round of phones? Is a Galaxy S3 still worth it?

Over the years and way back in the day when I first started ripping my CD's I never took care of the metadata. So with my library uploaded to Google Music, sometimes I load it and start correcting and fixing album art and album data.....then before I know it an hour has passed.

Good lord I can lose a lot of time fixing that. I just cannot stand that so many thousands of songs are incorrectly or not tagged at all. I have to fix them

:twitch:

Currently undergoing the same project...

One day at a time my friend.

kinggroin

Banned
Dunno. I want a Nexus so badly. but why do I even want stock android when i would still want to flash roms anyway... aokp just gives a little more customization and they are starting to add features not available in stock android.

plus i've decided, the next phone i get has to have an sd slot. until they start making phones that start at 32gb and move up to 64gb i need an sd card slot.

if nexus 4 had 32gb and lte, i'd be on board. not going to go backwards up in this piece.

thing is its not even the speed that bothers me, hspa+ is fine, but it's the fact that if i'm not on an lte phone at&t will throttle my unlimited plan at 3gb instead of 5gb

Because you won't have to mess with unlocking the boot loader in some crazy method. You also don't have to worry about an update breaking said method.

tino

Banned
Because you won't have to mess with unlocking the boot loader in some crazy method. You also don't have to worry about an update breaking said method.

As long as the unlocking method us safe I don't see the problem. Its still much less of a problem than dealing with no sd card and no removable battery.

After trying various custom roms I am back using UK version of the official rom for my International Note.

IMO a stable official rom is pretty much 98% useable.

thespot84

i'm surprised a service like shazaam or soundhound can't use their database to offer a cloud ID3 tagging system. They could do an entire library in minutes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom