• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Being in Canada I wouldn't know, never paid attention :p

That sucks if Sprint takes that long.

Nexus S was released in April 2011 before the Evo 3D with not much hype because it was out for a while on other carriers. The NG was released with much hype but Verizon had it for months.

Sprint: LTTP

The only thing that worries me about non-removable batteries is what happens when your device locks up?
what do you mean? I've used lots of phones with non-removable batteries for a long time now. It's really no big deal. Most phones have a way to reset the phone. For instance the iphone has a way to turn off the phone like normal, which is holding down the power button and then sliding to off, but there is also a way to reset the phone which is to hold the sleep and home button at the same time.

I'm assuming other phones come with the same? It's never been an issue that I can think of. I don't think I've had stock android lock up a single time since ICS.

Sanjuro

Whatever. I had no problems with my Verizon Galaxy Nexus. I would keep using it too if the battery life was better.

I got the extended battery for it at the Verizon store. Was half off, seemed like a good investment.

I had a HTC Thunderbolt which had a ton of issues. Just gave Verizon a call and they sent me a Nexus for no charge.

Nicktendo86

If that screen was AMOLED and closer to 5 inches, I might have actually bought it :-/.
I am the opposite, I want the nexus 4 as it is LCD. Looking at my gnexus now is almost painful, yellow whites and burn in all over the place. I bloody hate amoled

I'm with Nick. TBH I even think 4.7 is too big but I'd put up with it stock OS. Also amoled is nice but I mostly prefer lcd.

edit: apparently the plans for the event have leaked, or at least most of them: http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/19/3526558/google-event-details

New Devices:

There will be three new devices revealed by Google,

The new Nexus phone by LG - Nexus 4
A 3G version of the Nexus 7
A 10 inch Tablet by Samsung - Nexus 10 (with a very high resolution)

New Android Features:

Huge improvements to Google Now, cards will be different, a card comparing how much you've walked across months and a card that pops up when ever you go to a new city, showing all the POI's and distance to them
Changes to the Camera interface
Notifications get further improvements, now you can read entire messages in the notification center
UI improvements for bigger tablets.
And the keyboard will come with something similar to swype
[UPDATE] Profiles feature is coming for the tablets, not sure about the Phone

There can be more features that may turn up, these are the ones I'm 100% sure of.

rumour of course until confirmed, but he seems very confident. And nothing there is ridiculous or unbelievable, mostly expected. He also says this:

You may see more details pop up late evening, Google will be making a presentation to its employees regarding the new android and devices coming out as part of their TGIF

gcubed

It won't. Honestly it probably shouldn't. No need misleading folks like that. That Verizon Nexus was not a Nexus, it was a cluster fuck.

come on, youre being quite hyperbolic here. Its the best you got on Verizon. Its the only carrier phone with JB even if it was a month or two later than the Google Play Gnex. People like LTE and a good network, its a tradeoff for actually being able to use your phone

I am the opposite, I want the nexus 4 as it is LCD. Looking at my gnexus now is almost painful, yellow whites and burn in all over the place. I bloody hate amoled

Watching the evolution of AMOLED has been interesting in phones. Samsung has basically been using phone screens as beta testing for OLED technology the past few years. From what I've seen, the technology is still nowhere near ready for primetime in TV panels. My Galaxy Nexus has noticeable burn-in as well, it's easy to see when you hide the notification bar and the soft buttons when watching a full-screen video. Which might be why Samsung and LG still haven't brought their promised OLED TVs to market after all the hype earlier this year at CES about shipping some actual TV products to consumers in 2012.

Nicktendo86

Watching the evolution of AMOLED has been interesting in phones. Samsung has basically been using phone screens as beta testing for OLED technology the past few years. From what I've seen, the technology is still nowhere near ready for primetime in TV panels. My Galaxy Nexus has noticeable burn-in as well, it's easy to see when you hide the notification bar and the soft buttons when watching a full-screen video. Which might be why Samsung and LG still haven't brought their promised OLED TVs to market after all the hype earlier this year at CES about shipping some actual TV products to consumers in 2012.
Agreed, there are definite advantages to the technology but I don't feel it is anywhere near ready for day to day mobile phone use. The black levels/contrast on te one x for example are amazing so I can cope with slcd

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
New Devices:

There will be three new devices revealed by Google,

The new Nexus phone by LG - Nexus 4
A 3G version of the Nexus 7
A 10 inch Tablet by Samsung - Nexus 10 (with a very high resolution)

New Android Features:

Huge improvements to Google Now, cards will be different, a card comparing how much you've walked across months and a card that pops up when ever you go to a new city, showing all the POI's and distance to them
Changes to the Camera interface
Notifications get further improvements, now you can read entire messages in the notification center
UI improvements for bigger tablets.
And the keyboard will come with something similar to swype
[UPDATE] Profiles feature is coming for the tablets, not sure about the Phone

There can be more features that may turn up, these are the ones I'm 100% sure of.

I like this

CM10 on HTC One X = God tier phone. Smoother than a Nexus, allied with that gorgeous design and great camera? Winner. No idea why they'd think Sense is better.

come on, youre being quite hyperbolic here. Its the best you got on Verizon. Its the only carrier phone with JB even if it was a month or two later than the Google Play Gnex. People like LTE and a good network, its a tradeoff for actually being able to use your phone

Yeah that's the thing. I'll put up with the delay for the network. It really sucks choosing between the best phone or the best network. I'll take a gimped Nexus 4 on Verizon any day.

Yeah that's the thing. I'll put up with the delay for the network. It really sucks choosing between the best phone or the best network. I'll take a gimped Nexus 4 on Verizon any day.

That's pretty much why I'm staying with Verizon. Verizon switched on the LTE network in the next town over from where I live this summer and they're planning on blanketing the remaining area including my house by the end of the year. God only knows when the other carriers will bring LTE to the area I'm in.

thuway

If the Nexus 4 really does launch at $399, I'll definitely pick one up on the used market for $300 in a few months ^_^.

I ordered my Razr Maxx HD on Thursday, I haven't even gotten it yet. A LG Nexus just won't do, not a big enough jump from what I'm about to get. But if HTC wants to release that Butterfly J(or some equivalent to it) sometime next Spring or whenever then I may dump my Maxx HD for that(assuming it comes to Verizon). It's just so beautiful, and I'm all for bigger screens.

tino

Banned
For people who shit on Verizon, they don't get the cool phones later than other carriers, they just don't do non exclusive phones (with the exception of Samsumg S/Note series).

I ordered my Razr Maxx HD on Thursday, I haven't even gotten it yet. A LG Nexus just won't do, not a big enough jump from what I'm about to get. But if HTC wants to release that Butterfly J(or some equivalent to it) sometime next Spring or whenever then I may dump my Maxx HD for that(assuming it comes to Verizon). It's just so beautiful, and I'm all for bigger screens.
That's weird. The only reason to get a Maxx is for the battery life. Yet you're willing to drop it for the J which will almost Certainly have shitty battery life.

That's weird. The only reason to get a Maxx is for the battery life. Yet you're willing to drop it for the J which will almost Certainly have shitty battery life.

The Maxx HD was only $50 more than the Razr HD, so I though "why not", that extra battery and storage may come in handy some day even though I don't really need better battery life or more storage. In the end I care more about having better hardware and a bigger and more beautiful display. Besides work, I'm actually not away from my house much. So battery isn't much of a concern. But when I'm stuck somewhere, like waiting in a grocery line or taking a #2, I'd love to have that big and beautiful display at my finger tips.

rossonero

It's really weird that Google hasn't their own version of Gamecenter, many do play on their phones and it would be great to have a place where you could at least compare high scores.

16gb more internal storage
the razr hd has an sd card slot doesn't it, much less bulk and still great battery life.

Anyway, you know what's funny, the multiple Nexus rumour ended up being true, the only thing is that it's not multiple nexus phones, it's multiple nexus devices. Of course there could be a surprise during the conference and it is about phones, but you'd think we'd hear more specifics by now.

Cipherr

I wonder if the early rumor of 5 nexus devices this year was just someone leaking information and misunderstanding that they wanted to put out a $99 tablet, the Nexus 7", the Samsung Nexus 10" tablet, the LG Nexus phone and the Nexus Q.

Excited for these announcements. Can't wait. Also want to see what this iPad mini looks like.

I'm going to have to get that nexus 10 though lol...

But I do wonder if w8 tablets will do well...not with that pricing the way it is...at least on the surface

Nicktendo86

Excited for these announcements. Can't wait. Also want to see what this iPad mini looks like.

I'm going to have to get that nexus 10 though lol...

But I do wonder if w8 tablets will do well...not with that pricing the way it is...at least on the surface

I love the idea of the surface, it looks like the first 'grown up' tablet to me that could double as a proper computer. Too pricey for me though and it looks a little too 'widescreen'

Ragus

Banned
I have a question about new xperia's. Few years ago I used to have Xperia X8 and I didnt like the fact, that I couldn't turn auto-brightness off. Is it still the case in new phones? I'm considering buying Xperia T, but that auto-brighness would be a major turn off for me.

I have a question about new xperia's. Few years ago I used to have Xperia X8 and I didnt like the fact, that I couldn't turn auto-brightness off. Is it still the case in new phones? I'm considering buying Xperia T, but that auto-brighness would be a major turn off for me.

Someone back me up on this but you should be able to turn it off. Was the x8 an android device?

I would just get a gs3 or an LG optimus(wow did I just recommend an LG?)

Is it maybe safe to assume that since the Nexus is made by LG that the LG optimus G will get more dev support?

I think dev support for anything but the big three (Sammy, HTC, moto) has been slim

jokkir

what do you mean? I've used lots of phones with non-removable batteries for a long time now. It's really no big deal. Most phones have a way to reset the phone. For instance the iphone has a way to turn off the phone like normal, which is holding down the power button and then sliding to off, but there is also a way to reset the phone which is to hold the sleep and home button at the same time.

I'm assuming other phones come with the same? It's never been an issue that I can think of. I don't think I've had stock android lock up a single time since ICS.

My Nexus S doesn't seem to do that. I have to take out the battery for it to turn off :S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom