• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure. The original source did say that may or may not be everything, that's just what they're 100% sure of, the 3 nexus (10 inch, nex7 with 3g/32gb, nexus 4) devices and the 4.2 update.

thuway

I am going to leave this right here. Sony please hurry up and release this shit now.

http://www.androidauthority.com/sony-xperia-odin-c650x-spotted-124589/

sony-xperia-odin-c650x.jpg

I don't get 5 inch phones. They seem huuuge for phones and too small for phablets. If you want a phablet go all the way and get a 5.5 incher like the note. Or are companies testing the waters to see if customers will latch onto 5 inch phones the way they've latched onto 4.5-4.7.

I don't get 5 inch phones. They seem huuuge for phones and too small for phablets. If you want a phablet go all the way and get a 5.5 incher like the note. Or are companies testing the waters to see if customers will latch onto 5 inch phones the way they've latched onto 4.5-4.7.

5 inch seems like the ideal size for me. I could go for a bigger screen than the galaxy nexus, but any bigger than 5 inches and I'd probably be trying to justify the thing's existence to myself.

falastini

1080s are going to be the new shit, and they're all going to be 5.0+. And I'll be still wondering if I can ever get a good fully-featured phone that's 4.3-4.5.

if they update the Q, do you think they'll call it the New Q?

Qtwo

5 inch seems like the ideal size for me. I could go for a bigger screen than the galaxy nexus, but any bigger than 5 inches and I'd probably be trying to justify the thing's existence to myself.

I really want something a lot bigger than my Gnex, because I want to be able to see the desktop versions of web sites better. So I'm going for the Note II.

I don't know. Personally I don't see 5 inch phones catching on as much as 4.5/6/7. I mean did you guys see the htc butterfly being compared to the galaxy s3 which is already a big phone. It made it look tiny the way that current android phones make the iphone look.

It's just...too big. And honestly if you're going to make your phone that fucking big HTC, at least have the decency to include a bigger battery. If they can do it while only being SLIGHTLY (and I mean slightly) bigger than current phones, maybe I could see them edging it out, but overall I think the standard will remain 4.5/6/7/8.

tino

Banned
I don't know. Personally I don't see 5 inch phones catching on as much as 4.5/6/7. I mean did you guys see the htc butterfly being compared to the galaxy s3 which is already a big phone. It made it look tiny the way that current android phones make the iphone look.

It's just...too big. And honestly if you're going to make your phone that fucking big HTC, at least have the decency to include a bigger battery. If they can do it while only being SLIGHTLY (and I mean slightly) bigger than current phones, maybe I could see them edging it out, but overall I think the standard will remain 4.5/6/7/8.

This is what Sony thought and they decided to make the phone screen .1" smaller. Thats how they lost the top model war.

This is what Sony thought and they decided to make the phone screen .1" smaller. Thats how they lost the top model war.
well apple is doing much less size and they are winning the war since they sell the most devices. So there's that. I don't get the philosophy of constantly trying to make things bigger. Bigger doesn't mean better. Now I don't mind if 5 inch phones become a niche like the note, but if they become the new standard for most android phones then...barf.

Sony lost because they take forever to release a phone and their marketing presence is non-existence.

JBuccCP

I don't mind them making bigger phones but I hate how all 4 inch or less phones are treated like second class citizens. I'd really like a 4 inch phone with the same high end specs as the bigger phones.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I am going to leave this right here. Sony please hurry up and release this shit now.

http://www.androidauthority.com/sony-xperia-odin-c650x-spotted-124589/

sony-xperia-odin-c650x.jpg

oooooh

-Pyromaniac- said:

Different strokes you know. You've been verbal about the 'too big' philosophy, and that fine..but what if someone thinks 5' is perfect? In many ways, it's ideal - not too big (Note II), not too small. It's a good middle ground, and a good starting point for phablets, imo.

oooooh

Different strokes you know. You've been verbal about the 'too big' philosophy, and that fine..but what if someone thinks 5' is perfect? In many ways, it's ideal - not too big (Note II), not too small. It's a good middle ground, and a good starting point for phablets, imo.
my beef isn't with the creation of 5 inch phones, it's this endless war that is kind of ridiculous. When do they decide enough is enough. Eventually they'll hit a wall.

Companies should focus more on their user experience and not so much on trying to be the first to push a new standard. Also lets say 5 inches does become the standard, that does affect me because I'll simply never own a phone that big. So I have to hope that companies continue to release smaller phones. You'll say, of course they will. Tell that to people who want flagship phones that 4-4.3 inches. VERY rare.

I don't mind them making bigger phones but I hate how all 4 inch or less phones are treated like second class citizens. I'd really like a 4 inch phone with the same high end specs as the bigger phones.
exactly. Instead of constantly moving the focus, stay put and try to get the best possible experience. Instead they choose to continue the arms race.

I have no beef with the note, it's clearly a phablet, it has its own niche. But now all these rumours of 5 inch phones. I'm starting to think they are taking it from niche to more, which for people like me suuucks.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Could one of you gents recommend me some good apps please? I just got a HTC One x. I like sports and stuff. The Android gaming thread is pretty much dead too.

----thx man

I have a question about new xperia's. Few years ago I used to have Xperia X8 and I didnt like the fact, that I couldn't turn auto-brightness off. Is it still the case in new phones? I'm considering buying Xperia T, but that auto-brighness would be a major turn off for me.

I have an xperia S and the auto-brightness cannot be disabled. There may be ways to disable it via hacks or mods but it's so unobtrusive and unnoticeable that I haven't looked into it.
The auto brightness on the xperia play was pretty bad (sony eventually fixed it). I think on the Xperia S if you set brightness to say 50% it will stay at 50 unless you go outside in the direct sunlight where the brightness will shoot up, and if you set it at 100% it will stay at 100% even if you are in a dark cave.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Could one of you gents recommend me some good apps please? I just got a HTC One x. I like sports and stuff. The Android gaming thread is pretty much dead too.

----thx man

NFL Mobile
ESPN Score Center
ESPN College Football
Flipboard
Flipboard
Flipboard
Spotify/Rdio
Chrome/Firefox/Dolphin HD

Over the years and way back in the day when I first started ripping my CD's I never took care of the metadata. So with my library uploaded to Google Music, sometimes I load it and start correcting and fixing album art and album data.....then before I know it an hour has passed.

Good lord I can lose a lot of time fixing that. I just cannot stand that so many thousands of songs are incorrectly or not tagged at all. I have to fix them

:twitch:

That happened to me a few years back. It took me fucking DAYS to get all my tags right. I used mp3tag I think. It pulls the music from Amazon I believe.

I'd recommend tagging everything, then reuploading to Google Music. Way faster that way.

AndresON777

shooting blanks

Kiraly

Man fuck it, I was dead set on getting a LG Nexus as my new phone

now these 1080p motherfuckers are coming out left and right

The pace of phone innovation is so blistering that unless you buy a phone every 6 months, you will be obsolete nearly instantly. Once you accept this, you can buy something you like now and be happy with it.

thuway

For you maybe. I am actually looking forward to the SIX inch device. I've owned a Note, will probably get a Note 2, and now this shit is looking like the new ish. 6.1 inches is probably my threshold for phone device. Whoever gets it first, has my dollas.

For you maybe. I am actually looking forward to the SIX inch device. I've owned a Note, will probably get a Note 2, and now this shit is looking like the new ish. 6.1 inches is probably my threshold for phone device. Whoever gets it first, has my dollas.

I just wonder where the line is drawn between phone, phablet, and tablet. The sizes of phones are quickly encroaching on what used to be phablet's territory. Is a 5" device a phone or a phablet? How big does a phablet get until it's a tablet?

thuway

I just wonder where the line is drawn between phone, phablet, and tablet. The sizes of phones are quickly encroaching on what used to be phablet's territory. Is a 5" device a phone or a phablet? How big does a phablet get until it's a tablet?

This is why it is such an exciting time to be a consumer. The mobile market is ripe with innovation and companies trying zany ideas. I honestly believe a 6.1 inch device could fit into the body of a Galaxy Note 2 if it were edge to edge with on screen buttons.

Why should there be a line at all? They all fit under the umbrella of mobile computing.

Phones
Tablets
Cameras
Camcorders
Word processors
Net device
Video game console

It's the natural evolution of mobile computing to integrate these once separate devices into an an single device.

gcubed

That happened to me a few years back. It took me fucking DAYS to get all my tags right. I used mp3tag I think. It pulls the music from Amazon I believe.

I'd recommend tagging everything, then reuploading to Google Music. Way faster that way.

i did this as well, it took a concentrated effort over a week to clear everything up using mp3tag. Also agree, don't fix on Google Music, fix on your computer and then re-upload so you have a base backup of everything correct

tino

Banned

Me too. There is no reason to get a 7" tablet. 6" phone can do the job for both a small tablet and a phone.

Who ever make the next 6" 1080p phone with removable battery will get my money.

Futureman

i did this as well, it took a concentrated effort over a week to clear everything up using mp3tag. Also agree, don't fix on Google Music, fix on your computer and then re-upload so you have a base backup of everything correct

gotta look into this. Been going about a year and half now with half my library tagged in Google Music, and half totally messed up. Stupid iTunes.

We are definitely hitting diminishing returns, though. 720p screens that aren't pentile have a PPI that's already too high for the human eye. 1080p is overkill, unless you consume a lot of video on your phone.

Until Google modifies Android to take advantage of 1080p screens (larger icons, widgets, etc.), it is pointless to get a phone with a display like that.

We are definitely hitting diminishing returns, though. 720p screens that aren't pentile have a PPI that's already too high for the human eye. 1080p is overkill, unless you consume a lot of video on your phone.

Until Google modifies Android to take advantage of 1080p screens (larger icons, widgets, etc.), it is pointless to get a phone with a display like that.

It baffles me how video resolution is apparently the most important thing while we still are being held back by things like battery life, os performance and especially os fragmentation.

Get some of that budget to work on faster updates (non nexus devices) instead of resolutions that will eat away at batt.life.

It baffles me how video resolution is apparently the most important thing while we still are being held back by things like battery life, os performance and especially os fragmentation.

Get some of that budget to work on faster updates (non nexus devices) instead of resolutions that will eat away at batt.life.

Exactly. I prefer a 720p screen with a better battery life and performance. 1080p is going to tax processors and batteries in the short term.

gcubed

The Gnex was one of the first 720p screens and it needed a shitload of app updates for compatibility, I definitely won't be jumping early on a res change again

gotta look into this. Been going about a year and half now with half my library tagged in Google Music, and half totally messed up. Stupid iTunes.

it was a huge pain in the ass, but it scratches my OCD itch. I just shake my head in disgust every time i use my wife's phone

http://m.ibnlive.com/news/googles-lg-nexus-to-be-launched-in-india-by-end-of-november/301664-11.html

New Delhi: The much-discussed LG Nexus phone, which is likely to be unveiled at Google's October 29 event along with the next version of Android (4.2 Key Lime Pie), will hit the Indian markets by the end of November. Amit Gujral, head, Mobile Product Planning, LG, on the sidelines of the Optimus Vu launch event, in an interview with IBNLive said, "Google will unveil the LG Nexus on October 29 and the phone will be available in the Indian markets by the end of November."

Gujral also shed some light on the technical specifications of the LG Nexus smartphone. He said, the phone will feature a 4.7-inch screen, run Android 4.2 OS, and will be powered by a 1.5 GHz quad-core processor."

Not that we didn't know all that but still....

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I have a question about new xperia's. Few years ago I used to have Xperia X8 and I didnt like the fact, that I couldn't turn auto-brightness off. Is it still the case in new phones? I'm considering buying Xperia T, but that auto-brighness would be a major turn off for me.

I have the Xperia T and I have auto-brightness off. No problem.

gcubed

This phone has been leaked to shreds lol. That's not even a leak, that's outright telling us before the event.

edit: The Verge has reviewed the razr HD and the razr Maxx. Seem very average/bad in some places aside from good/great battery life.

Can't have em all eh.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/22/3527126/motorola-droid-razr-hd-maxx-hd-review

my ultimate dream is for Google to push maxx stock phones without a shit design and the world would be a much better place.

gcubed

they never looked good. Hope springs from the previous google comments saying that they have little input over the first 12-16 months of devices

Wait...left and right? Haven't we only heard of two phones? Its not exactly raining mobile fullhd...

Oppo isn't even coming to the US probably. Just the HTC DLX to Verizon

Edit:
Oops lol...should have read about that Sony phone before I got all up in arms

Also...can't wait to see the nexus 10...hope the release date is a ways off as I want it to have an a15 exynos...but I know inside that isn't likely. Excited about the screen though. Day one for that thing...

SimleuqiR

Unless Google and Samsung fuck up that Nexus 10, I'm in.

Give me at least 32 gigs of space with a very light and thin body. Possibly some cool keyboard covers?

My Transformer TF101 is feeling heavy nowadays. Will probably give it to my mom for her Youtube watching.

tino

Banned
Wait...left and right? Haven't we only heard of two phones? Its not exactly raining mobile fullhd...

Edit:

Also...can't wait to see the nexus 10...hope the release date is a ways off as I want it to have an a15 exynos...but I know inside that isn't likely. Excited about the screen though. Day one for that thing...

You have to follow the narration. Oppo Finder 5 was the first one to announce the screen. Heh.

gcubed

Edit:

The a15 is already in their chromebook for $250. Not sure you'd have to wait very long

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom