• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on guys, I have the Razr Maxx HD and I don't think it's bad at all. I just got it today and have toyed with it for a few hours already. My quick impressions, I like the design and the feel of the device. It feels well built, strong, and sturdy. I could imagine using this thing in a fight if I have to. As for using it, I had a Galaxy S3 for almost two weeks but returned it for this(I had a nagging issue with it). I like some of the added differences on the Maxx HD over the GS3, but I must admit I think the GS3 runs a little faster/smoother and has a slightly better screen. It does have 2GB of RAM over the Maxx HD's 1, so I'm sure that made a big difference which I'm kind of missing now. But overall I like it and am satisfied so far.

But if that HTC DLX is coming over here and as long as the price isn't outrageous, I would seriously consider getting it. That screen is pure sex, and the specs are quite nice as well. In the end I care more about that than superior battery life.

The a15 is already in their chromebook for $250. Not sure you'd have to wait very long

and it's on the damn play store. i'm not sure why this makes me angry, but i just feel like someone is going to be buying this thing and thinking that it plays android apps...

does it play android apps? i would assume not, but if it's based on linux, maybe there's the off chance that i'm wrong here.

Also, not sure what the plus side of Chrome OS is. they should just put android on ultrabooks now.

but maybe chrome books have flash.

Massa

and it's on the damn play store. i'm not sure why this makes me angry, but i just feel like someone is going to be buying this thing and thinking that it plays android apps...

does it play android apps? i would assume not, but if it's based on linux, maybe there's the off chance that i'm wrong here.

Also, not sure what the plus side of Chrome OS is. they should just put android on ultrabooks now.

but maybe chrome books have flash.

It doesn't run Android apps, your app store is the Chrome Web Store. Being ARM based it probably doesn't support Flash either, but I might be wrong here.

If it's hackable enough (unlocked bootloader) you should see people running full blown Linux distributions and porting stock Android to it in no time.

tino

Banned
It doesn't run Android apps, your app store is the Chrome Web Store. Being ARM based it probably doesn't support Flash either, but I might be wrong here.

If it's hackable enough (unlocked bootloader) you should see people running full blown Linux distributions and porting stock Android to it in no time.

It should be pretty easy to dual boot android and Chrome. But I want to run them concurrently

It should be pretty easy to dual boot android and Chrome. But I want to run them concurrently

they need to just do away with Chrome OS and if they want to do that sort of thing, just focus on Anroid as an ultrabook OS, so the apps can all be run together. Would help there ecosystem even if only a little.

I'm still undecided in my iphone 5 vs nexus 4. I'm still thinking about going back and forth every year so this year is nexus turn. I think I'll go through with it. I say to myself I'm undecided but I've gone back and forth every year so yeah, I know it's nexus time.

Pretty excited for it. I'm just glad it's finally higher quality and also the specs will be the absolute best for a phone in its class. Should be beastly with stock running on it. Hopefully comes to Canada before Nov. 30.

buhdeh

I only made the switch from the 4S about 3-4 months ago myself. I love the functionality and look of (stock, CM10) Android, haven't regretted it one bit. What I do regret though is having had to look at and use Touchwiz everyday.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Can I download my entire GMusic library, delete them online, tag it locally, then reupload online? No space or file penalties?

Awesome, thanks. I thought there used to be a 20k upload limit, not a 20k file limit.

Yeah I have rearranged and deleted and reuploaded a couple times now...gonna have to do it one more time as I am renaming and categorizing and adding cover art to just about everything

Kiraly

GSMarena reviewed the new LG Optimus G (same internals as the new Nexus, bar thecamera and microsd slot) and they found the phone to be surprisingly good. Check the review out.

Interesting, the Optimus G doesn't have a microSD slot or a removable battery either. Maybe LG and Google have been planning this together a long time.

edit: Reading the audio quality section of the review, it looks like the GSIII and GNII still beat out the OG in sound quality. Dat Wolfson DAC, indeed. Noise floor, and consequently dynamic range, is over 10 dB better and the frequency response curve is nearly ruler flat on the GSIII/GNII. There's some wierd shit goin' on in the midrange and higher frequencies in the OG's frequency response curve by comparison. Disappointingly, the OG has worse noise level and poorer dynamic range than the Galaxy Nexus. The GNex had a pretty exemplary frequency response curve too, with the exception of a hump in the midbass region which resulted in some bass bloatiness which had to be corrected for with software EQ, something that isn't included in the stock Android music player.

gcubed

May or June should be about right for the S4, and the HTC Two X also. Approximately 1 year after the S3 and OneX. And yes, I definitely hope they all go 1080p on next years flagships. The people who have a problem with PPI above 342 can go lay an egg.

Don't have a problem with it, just the level of importance. Its way down the list below battery, battery, battery, battery, battery, and possibly battery.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Don't have a problem with it, just the level of importance. Its way down the list below battery, battery, battery, battery, battery, and possibly battery.

This. I don't care about girth just give me a phone that I can use semi-heavy and can last 20± hours and I'll buy it.

Futureman

This. I don't care about girth just give me a phone that I can use semi-heavy and can last 20± hours and I'll buy it.

seriuosly what is this? It's like these manufacturers are letting 2% of smartphone users dictate what goes in these phones. BATTERY IDIOTS.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Android fans should be happy. My bro texted me, and he's finally ditching his crackberry. He gets a phone paid through work and has a somewhat limited selection, but he had an option between the iPhone 4S (can't get the 5), and the Galaxy S3. He's getting the S3. Chalk another one up into the Android camp, and another corporate user who's an e-mail whore that's ditching the crackberry. If my bro is switching I just don't see WTF Rim can do.

tino

Banned

Unless you own a RazrMaxx/Atrix Naxx phone now, you are not putting money where your month is.

Know why? Because you are a sensible buyer who will consider many factors before you put down your money. In other words, you are not the ones who line up and store and buy the first batch of top end phones, therefore, phone makers don't have to chase after you.

seriuosly what is this? It's like these manufacturers are letting 2% of smartphone users dictate what goes in these phones. BATTERY IDIOTS.

if they were letting 2% of users dictate the market, every phone would be geared toward us.

every phone would have these specs

stock android
maxx battery
4.75 1080p screen
64gb microsdxc slot
802.11ac wifi
micro usb 3.0 (this is coming actually but not for like another year or two)
and also 6.5 millimeters thin
20 megapixel carl zeiss lens f2.4 aperture;1 million ISO; shoots 4k video, 8k with software update
5 megapixel 1080p camera

ok, so i trailed off there, but you get the point. they're not catering to 2%. they never will. but they are trying to create buzz by being the pioneers of these features.

So no one phone will ever again tick all the boxes on the spec sheet (this is my dream, but i digress), there will always be something they leave out because of the expense of some other super feature.

95% of the market would have been happy with QHD or maybe even 800/480 like on the GSII. Nobody that was on HSPA+ really really needed LTE either. (maybe verizon and sprint with their aging 3g networks....

camera on phones getting better was a natural evolution because hey it's quick and easy to take a picture with your phone (thus eliminating having to carry your phone and your camera) same with mp3 players and video players too. mp3 players and media players basically died or just became merged with phones...

ipod became iphone, on a smaller scale zune became windows phone. it's all just a natural evolution of all our "devices" merging into a simpler device (where the fuck has this post gone)

ok i'm done i can't even think anymore, it's too early. excited for this conference today though. i generally don't like apple products, but i do like to get them for my family (and any competition in this market sparks better products for me to buy on the android side)

gcubed

if they were letting 2% of users dictate the market, every phone would be geared toward us.

every phone would have these specs

stock android
maxx battery
4.75 1080p screen
64gb microsdxc slot
802.11ac wifi
micro usb 3.0 (this is coming actually but not for like another year or two)
and also 6.5 millimeters thin
20 megapixel carl zeiss lens f2.4 aperture;1 million ISO; shoots 4k video, 8k with software update
5 megapixel 1080p camera

ok, so i trailed off there, but you get the point. they're not catering to 2%. they never will. but they are trying to create buzz by being the pioneers of these features.

So no one phone will ever again tick all the boxes on the spec sheet (this is my dream, but i digress), there will always be something they leave out because of the expense of some other super feature.

95% of the market would have been happy with QHD or maybe even 800/480 like on the GSII. Nobody that was on HSPA+ really really needed LTE either. (maybe verizon and sprint with their aging 3g networks....

camera on phones getting better was a natural evolution because hey it's quick and easy to take a picture with your phone (thus eliminating having to carry your phone and your camera) same with mp3 players and video players too. mp3 players and media players basically died or just became merged with phones...

ipod became iphone, on a smaller scale zune became windows phone. it's all just a natural evolution of all our "devices" merging into a simpler device (where the fuck has this post gone)

ok i'm done i can't even think anymore, it's too early. excited for this conference today though. i generally don't like apple products, but i do like to get them for my family (and any competition in this market sparks better products for me to buy on the android side)

I'm part of the 2% and I absolutely love the Razr M. LOVE LOVE LOVE it... and its QHD.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Unless you own a RazrMaxx/Atrix Naxx phone now, you are not putting money where your month is.

Know why? Because you are a sensible buyer who will consider many factors before you put down your money. In other words, you are not the ones who line up and store and buy the first batch of top end phones, therefore, phone makers don't have to chase after you.

Actually I know someone who has a RazrMaxx and though it's good it doesn't meet 20± hours use in the way I described.

But yeah I'm not an early adopter. I procrastinate a lot on phone purchases.

I've been wanting to get a cheap android tablet that has a 9-10 inch screen so I bought Coby's MID9042. I've used it for a few hours now and I'm quite happy with the device's peformance. The screen resolution is pretty good, the device runs smoothly, and the lack of google play store has been offset by me installing 1 mobile (playstore is still better though).

Anybody else that bought a Coby android tablet? How did you find the device?

Also, this is my first android tablet (ICS) so I would appreciate any game/app recommendations, and general android tablet user tips.

Thanks.

I'm part of the 2% and I absolutely love the Razr M. LOVE LOVE LOVE it... and its QHD.

Are you using one now? I was so tempted to get one because of the size but I want a good camera this time so I'm actually tempted to go iphone 5. Waiting to see if Nexus 4 goes to Verizon first.

Actually I know someone who has a RazrMaxx and though it's good it doesn't meet 20± hours use in the way I described.

But yeah I'm not an early adopter. I procrastinate a lot on phone purchases.

Really? What do you do on your phone? The only time I can't hit 20+ hours on my maxx is if I'm in a spotty area (bad data connection) and I'm constantly downloading stuff.

thuway

I've been wanting to get a cheap android tablet that has a 9-10 inch screen so I bought Coby's MID9042. I've used it for a few hours now and I'm quite happy with the device's peformance. The screen resolution is pretty good, the device runs smoothly, and the lack of google play store has been offset by me installing 1 mobile (playstore is still better though).

Anybody else that bought a Coby android tablet? How did you find the device?

Also, this is my first android tablet (ICS) so I would appreciate any game/app recommendations, and general android tablet user tips.

Thanks.
Pick up a used Nexus 7. Don't look back.

i guess it depends on what is important to you... what feature is important to you that maybe manu's leave out? what makes you part of the 2%? flashing ROMs?

for me I really just want that phone that leaves nothing out, and when the Atrix 4g came out, I felt like it was closest to what I could get...when the HTC One X came out...the GS3 had not been shown yet, lol. That was definitely a mistake, but the GS3 does not have this screen...thing is, i could probably live without this if i had never seen it. GS3 would be bomb..

Gnote 2 is 300 on at&t. that cancel's me getting that phone.

will wait to see what the nexus offers, but ultimately probably be waiting until after MWC to make a decision. 99% positive i will end up with a GS4. Hoping to God carriers have moved to supplying 32gb phones as standard by then. all i can do is hope.

Just readin the GSMArena review now, they ran their battery test on it;
3G Talk Time - 15hr30min
Web Browsing - 5hr15min
Video playback - 7hr16min

On the plus side, trumps the stock Galaxy Nexus in all tests. Now, let's see if Google can squeeze some more life out that battery on the Nexus version of this.

http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_optimus_g-review-835.php
awesome. If the phone is that good, the nexus version will be only better.

Cipherr

So anyone know what this Google Wallet invitation thing is about? Are they going to be pushing a big Wallet update beta or release or something soon?

https://wallet.google.com/s/?page=waitlist#waitlist:invitationRequest

nexusae0_upload_thumb4.png
nexusae0_wallet2_thumb.png

2uzp509.png
@ 'Other'.

gcubed

Are you using one now? I was so tempted to get one because of the size but I want a good camera this time so I'm actually tempted to go iphone 5. Waiting to see if Nexus 4 goes to Verizon first.

Really? What do you do on your phone? The only time I can't hit 20+ hours on my maxx is if I'm in a spotty area (bad data connection) and I'm constantly downloading stuff.

no, i've used it before, my dad got one. The edge to edge screen, the design, mmmm. Get me that in a nexus phone (upgrade the screen and camera to move it out of "budget") and good lord i'd salivate.

no, i've used it before, my dad got one. The edge to edge screen, the design, mmmm. Get me that in a nexus phone (upgrade the screen and camera to move it out of "budget") and good lord i'd salivate.

I agree with you 100%.

Nexus with edge to edge hd screen (4.3- 4.5 inches), moto build quality and radio, s4 pro with 2gb ram, carl zeiss lens camera, and 2500mAh+ battery would be my ideal phone.

So anyone know what this Google Wallet invitation thing is about? Are they going to be pushing a big Wallet update beta or release or something soon?

https://wallet.google.com/s/?page=waitlist#waitlist:invitationRequest

nexusae0_upload_thumb4.png
nexusae0_wallet2_thumb.png

2uzp509.png
@ 'Other'.

hopefully they just try to make it available on all phones... i can't use it damn you AT&T.

AOKP Jellybean build 5 is out for the Note: http://androtransfer.com/?developer=AOKP&folder=n7000

I've been waiting for a fairly stable build of JB. I hope this is it. I'm upgrading from AOKP ICS 40. Let's see what Google Now is all about.

AOKP JB is pretty dope, especially since build 4, seems to have fixed most of the screen tearing that was in the rom (and every rom based or kanged off of cm10) Unfortunately build 5 was not released for the At&t One X yet, i think the only device not to get this version. but they did add two devices officially, the Gnote 1 and the GS3, both for At&t I believe.

now make it a 5 inch 1080p and boom almost perfect.

I got the Maxx HD recently. Yesterday I did a test, my GF is away at college and we normally spend 4-6 hours on the phone every night(her demands, we're not always talking). But anyways, I charged it all the way and after she called me, I disconnected it. 6 hours later we spent 5 hours on the phone. Besides that I also picked it up to use here and there for browsing and watching videos. After all of that I had 65% left. The battery on this thing is a beast. It could seriously last close to or at 15 hours of straight talk time. If I took this thing on a road trip and just used is somewhat frequently, I'm sure it could last me 20+, probably over 25.

If your biggest concern really is battery, I don't see why you don't get either the Razr Maxx or the Maxx HD. Yeah, it may not last 20 straight hours of very heavy use. But come on, I'm sure some of you guys need to sleep. So for most of you guys who do sleep this phone will literally last you all day. If you decide not to get because of design or hardware, then battery really isn't your main concern then.

I got the Maxx HD recently. Yesterday I did a test, my GF is away at college and we normally spend 4-6 hours on the phone every night(her demands, we're not always talking). But anyways, I charged it all the way and after she called me, I disconnected it. 6 hours later we spent 5 hours on the phone. Besides that I also picked it up to use here and there for browsing and watching videos. After all of that I had 65% left. The battery on this thing is a beast. It could seriously last close to or at 15 hours of straight talk time. If I took this thing on a road trip and just used is somewhat frequently, I'm sure it could last me 20+, probably over 25.

If your biggest concern really is battery, I don't see why you don't get either the Razr Maxx or the Maxx HD. Yeah, it may not last 20 straight hours of very heavy use. But come on, I'm sure some of you guys need to sleep. So for most of you guys who do sleep this phone will literally last you all day. If you decide not to get because of design or hardware, then battery really isn't your main concern then.

Honestly for practical real world use, the Maxx HD is one of the best phones available. It's just us android geeks that nitpick about sharp corners, default wallpapers, ugly icons, and verizon logos.

GatorBait

It pleases me greatly to see so many other posts with people OCD about their music collection. I've been working on this long-term project of re-ripping my music into higher bit rates (previously had a bunch of 128/160 kbps songs), tagging them, and adding high quality 500x500 album art to all songs. It's been a long process, but it pleases my OCD and my personal love of music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom