• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Before/During/After an Apple event investors emotions about their money fluctuate akin to those of a teenage girl sitting through a twilight movie, but I think they'd hate it even more if the price was $199 and Apple's profits remained flat YOY.

Well that isn't unreasonable, but we will have to agree to disagree since this is getting a bit offtopic

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
i get my gapps from goomanager

but hey bboy when you do a fresh build whats the best way to back up your data?

i usually just redownload everything from scratch, and usually will just backup texts and call logs to tibu, maybe back up a few game saves

instead of just backing up everything, a lot of people say that tibu will screw with your fresh flashes. matter of fact i didn't used to back up that stuff until tibu started using XML to back that data up.

Heh, I back nothing up. Everything I use is in the cloud. Setting preferences for my apps all over again sucks but the data's still there.

I don't really game on my phone so that can be a major issue for others.

GatorBait

God I wish I was already done. Ive got a good long ways to go. And I dont want to erase it all, tag it offline with some automated program that I just have to 'trust' to tag correctly and assign HD album art. Doing it manually by hand, I can be certain of accuracy, and properly handle obscure/local songs, artists and albums I have that those auto-tagging programs couldn't find data for anyways.

Oh, I'm not quite done yet, but I can definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel compared to where I started. According to my latest count, I have 562 songs left that need re-ripping/tagging/artwork. And you gotta tag by hand and pick your own album art if you want everything down the right way. It's a labor of love though, and after your collection is organized, you definitely appreciate it all the much more.

Another quote on the optimus G battery life which will only be better on the nexus 4:

Whatever the actual reasons behind the device’s enhanced staying power, our testing proves that some or all of it is working. The Optimus G delivered excellent battery life, even while connected exclusively to the more power-hungry LTE network here in Boston.

I read a bunch of optimus G reviews today, mostly very positive. For those interested in battery life, no need to be worried.

reKon

Banned
Another quote on the optimus G battery life which will only be better on the nexus 4:

I read a bunch of optimus G reviews today, mostly very positive. For those interested in battery life, no need to be worried.

doesn't the screen for this get very bright too? I'm really going to be enjoying the battery life if I'm using this at like 25% most of the day. My Galaxy Nexus brightness usually stays pretty low and I've been fine with it.

doesn't the screen for this get very bright too? I'm really going to be enjoying the battery life if I'm using this at like 25% most of the day. My Galaxy Nexus brightness usually stays pretty low and I've been fine with it.
I believe so. This screen should easily put the Gnex one to shame. All reviews say it's one of the best points about the phone.

reKon

Banned
I believe so. This screen should easily put the Gnex one to shame. All reviews say it's one of the best points about the phone.

I know the screen will look amazing. I just want to make sure that if I get the Nexus off contract in a few months, I can push the battery even further than what the GSMarena battery test would indicate. I think I read a comment on how the tests were not objective because some LG phone had a higher brightness than the other phones at 50% (which is what they use for their test). If you notice the the GSMarena arena results, that phone gets 15 hrs + of 3g talk time. I'm willing to bet that at a lower brightness than 50% the web browsing and video play back ratings would have been much higher.

http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_optimus_g-review-835p2.php

VanWinkle

Anyone who has done this, please let me know. I am on Verizon. I have a Galaxy S3. I recently won an Xperia Play. I would like to update it so I can just use it for its gaming functions (it's firmware is out of date). However, you need a cellular connection to check for firmware updates. I don't because I have the S3 as my phone, and I want to keep it that way.

Can I switch my Verizon account to the Xperia Play, get the latest firmware for it, and then switch my account BACK to the S3? I also want to ensure that this would not affect my unlimited data that I was grandfathered into. Thank you.

Nicktendo86

Sounds good, I'm pretty sure now the Nexus 4 will be my next phone when I get my upgrade in August. Only thing that could stop is if a great phone is launched before then that is really easy to root and has CM10 support.

Oh, and fucking LOL at Apple's bounce back patent being invalidated. Good job.

I don't know if this is the correct thread to ask this, but I've been using a dumbphone (Sony Ericsson u10i) for years and wanted to finally make the move to a smartphone/Android. Is it recommended I buy a mid-end model for cheap now or wait till 2013 for a newer OS, processors, etc.?

I don't know if this is the correct thread to ask this, but I've been using a dumbphone (Sony Ericsson u10i) for years and wanted to finally make the move to a smartphone/Android. Is it recommended I buy a mid-end model for cheap now or wait till 2013 for a newer OS, processors, etc.?
nexus phone being announced next week. Get that. You wo't your first android experience to be pure.

Futureman

Don't tell me this is why Verizon didn't get the Optimus G.

LG Spectrum 2

Hope we still get a Verizon Nexus 4.

with AT&T getting the Optimus G and Verizon getting Spectrum 2.... where does that leave the LG Nexus? Surely AT&T and Verizon woulnd't take on those phones if they were also going to carry the Nexus 4?

But the event next week is in NYC, while the past events have been overseas I believe. So there must be a US focus to it... ??

with AT&T getting the Optimus G and Verizon getting Spectrum 2.... where does that leave the LG Nexus? Surely AT&T and Verizon woulnd't take on those phones if they were also going to carry the Nexus 4?

But the event next week is in NYC, while the past events have been overseas I believe. So there must be a US focus to it... ??
your first mistake is trying to understand a telecom company

tino

Banned

I would just buy an older top model phone for best performance to cost ratio. You can get a new Galaxy S2 for 300 now. Don't buy new release mid tier model, you don't get good support.

I don't know, I have a different philosophy. You don't want your first experience with something new to not be the best it can be, unless he doesn't mind getting something old and something that has something shitty like touchwiz on it.

Nexus or bust.

The official press renders for the new nexus have leaked. Looks like it is branded "Nexus". Not the best quality pics but:

o3Gpz.jpg

http://www.androidcentral.com/lg-nexus-4-press-render-leaks

Zeppu

The official press renders for the new nexus have leaked. Looks like it is branded "Nexus". Not the best quality pics but:

http://i.imgur.com/o3Gpz.jpg[IMG]

[url]http://www.androidcentral.com/lg-nexus-4-press-render-leaks[/url][/QUOTE]

I don't want centred time in notification tray :'(

this_guy

It's not just apps and games and stuff, it's also the ecosystem as a whole, music, movies. More available internationally than any other store. Tons of content in the ecosystem.

I don't get this argument regarding music/movies. I have an iPad 3rd generation and an Android phone, but for music I use Spotify. If I wanted to buy music I can buy anything through Amazon's music store on Android. For movies, again I can buy anything because Amazon is available. But when it comes to movies, I'd rather transfer them from my hard drive, and in this case I'd rather drag and drop rather than using iTunes to transfer.

Zeppu

Also the notification trey is definitely different. What's that number. Also it shows the weather. Same number. 92. WHAT COULD IT MEAN GUYZZ.

Yeah and there's a tiny (ugly) CM-like %age in the battery too. God do I not like the centred time though. It also doesn't have am/pm and it doesn't seem to be 24hrs, that always has a trailing 0.

And why would they not show new Google Now features in the render?

Meh I have a feeling the picture is fake could have done all of that on my Galaxy Nexus with the right rom, I think AOKP does it all. Since when has Google given you battery percentage in the battery icon.

SimleuqiR

http://i.imgur.com/o3Gpz.jpg

http://www.androidcentral.com/lg-nex...s-render-leaks

Also the notification trey is definitely different. What's that number. Also it shows the weather. Same number. 92. WHAT COULD IT MEAN GUYZZ.

Looks like that could be the weather on the right? And the battery life on the other? But is seems it could be Google Now showing more info on the status bar.

Duarte would never approve of that bullshit.

In Duarte we trust?

jokkir

Another site talking about the renders

Update: Closer inspection of the image reveals that not everything is well here. The screen on the front of the devices does not look like stock Android and also the Nexus on the back seems Photoshopped. Part of the image are very similar to what we have seen in past leaks, but there are some things that make us suspicious.

gutshot

Yeah and there's a tiny (ugly) CM-like %age in the battery too. God do I not like the centred time though. It also doesn't have am/pm and it doesn't seem to be 24hrs, that always has a trailing 0.

And why would they not show new Google Now features in the render?

The current notification bar time doesn't display AM/PM either. That being said, there is no way these press photos are legit. The centered time display is terrible.

You guys, what if that's a screenshot of the new notification bar?

I hate being skeptcial too, but maybe they took community feedback and got a centered clock. Google Now Interface looks a little different as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom