• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sipowicz

Banned
quick question folks

i purchased nova in the google play sale a few weeks back but i have no idea what it can offer me other that a greater degree of customisation for my home screen

is there some sort of introductory guide or wiki for it? what is it generally used for?

yogloo

A question to the android peeps, is there a faster way to trigger the task manager besides holding the home button? It's takes a only second or two on my galaxy note, but it feels awkward. User interface wise, it feels weird to press a button and hold especially for something that we use so much.

Angst

quick question folks

i purchased nova in the google play sale a few weeks back but i have no idea what it can offer me other that a greater degree of customisation for my home screen

is there some sort of introductory guide or wiki for it? what is it generally used for?

That's pretty much it. You can also assign actions to one- or two finger swipes and change settings for the app drawer.
A question to the android peeps, is there a faster way to trigger the task manager besides holding the home button? It's takes a only second or two on my galaxy note, but it feels awkward. User interface wise, it feels weird to press a button and hold especially for something that we use so much.
I don't think you can trigger it any other way. A custom ROM might change the delay, but I don't know of any other action. Perhaps you can use Nova/Apex and assign a swipe to trigger it though? Lemme try.

EDIT: Yep, you can asssign a swipe to trigger the task manager and it starts instantly - at least on my sgs 2 with CM 10. YMMV with TouchWiz... I set two-finger swipe up to trigger the Recent Apps action and it works just as intended.

Doopliss

Cyanogenmod 10 has a feature to remap hardware keys, so you can make the menu key open the app switcher (and enable the 3-dot menu in apps), or the search key if your device has one of those.

quick question folks

The features are listed in the Google Play description. Or you could just install it and have a look through the settings. Your current home screen set-up won't be affected so you can easily go back if you don't like Nova.

Nicktendo86

Carphone Warehouse in the UK seem to have jumped the gun on Nexus 4 pre-orders. Bad side, they are listing it as having only 8gb memory. Plus side, they are offering delivery for the 30th Oct, possible immediate launch?

http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_nexus_4_goes_on_preorder_early_specs_and_pricing_revealed-news-4995.php

Edit; just noticed they are using the faked AOKP Screenshot from yesterday.

Was just about to post this. The 8gb storage will not go away, I am convinced there will be a 16gb at least option at least at launch but I must admit I am starting to get a tad worried...

Edit: Not sure what to think about it also just listing GSM and no LTE, they are only offering it on Vodafone & O2 which at the moment don't have LTE. Not too fussed about that now actually after seeing the stupid prices EE want to charge, I can wait until Q3 2013 and see who are offering what.

Edit 2: Looks like the rumour of an in build Swype style keyboard are true:

"Stay in touch with Gesture Typing, a faster way of typing that lets you spell words by dragging your finger across the screen from letter to letter. Browse the web with the super fast Google Chrome."

Donos

Wasn't there someone with a ban bet that the nexus 4 would have more storage than 8gb?

I personally dont have a problem with no microsd as long my phone has 32gb. 8gb seems really weird for a nexus with how cheap storage is today.

Still like the back of the N4.

SwiftKey Flow keyboard takes the fight to Swype with predictive gestures (video)

Beta Sign Up

SwiftKey must be keen to finish its bout with Swype, as it just went for the knockout. It's launching SwiftKey Flow, an extension of its Android keyboard that blends SwiftKey's familiar word prediction with the hold-and-swipe gestures we most commonly associate with the company's arch-rival. Speed-minded typists now just have to glide across the virtual keys and let go as soon as Flow makes a correct guess. They don't have to pick a typing mode and stick with it, either, as both gestures and the usual taps will work at the same time. Prospective testers will want to sign up today for the SwiftKey Flow beta starting in the next few weeks. Everyone else, though, might want to watch from the bleachers -- the new parallels between SwiftKey and Swype just made this fight infinitely more entertaining.

SimleuqiR

Love that they are finally pushing the Nexus brand. I hope the phone has a nice biggish NEXUS logo on the back.

I'm hoping the same for the Nexus 10.

Love that they are finally pushing the Nexus brand. I hope the phone has a nice biggish NEXUS logo on the back.

I'm hoping the same for the Nexus 10.
looks like that is the case:

a5-eqeycmae4lzs.jpg-large.jpeg

also yeah this pic from the same set of renders has a different bar:

gutshot

they are using the photoshops, its not the real bar

But everyone is treating this as an official spec list. Wouldn't they have received the official press photos along with the official spec list? Either those specs AND the photo is official... or they are both faked by some overzealous Carphone Warehouse employee.

gcubed

if the phone looks just like those renders... i actually really really really like the look of it

But everyone is treating this as an official spec list. Wouldn't they have received the official press photos along with the official spec list? Either those specs AND the photo is official... or they are both faked by some overzealous Carphone Warehouse employee.

carphone warehouse puts up whatever it can find.

GSMArena have an update on the story, now with scans of an upcoming Carphone Warehouse brochure.

Update: Two anonymous tipsters (who have our thanks!) sent us this photo of a brochure detailing the LG Nexus 4. It gives us a SIM-free price of £390 ($630, €485) along with a few other specs.

LG Nexus 4 brochure
The phone measures 133.9 x 68.7 x 9.1mm and will weigh 139g (a hair lighter than the Optimus G). The color options will be black and white (as the brochure shows) and the talk time is listed at 12 hours. The Optimus G does 15 hours of talk time (we tested it) and since the chipsets are the same, there's a possibility that the battery on the Nexus 4 will be smaller.
Carphone Warehouse lists deals from Vodafone and O2. You can have the LG Nexus 4 for free on a £31/month 2-year contract (slightly pricier than a Galaxy S III, which currently can be had for free with a £28/month contract). The phones will be delivered on October 30

Nice price for PAYG model.

Kiraly

The spec and features list is probably real, the picture is most likely not.

What Carphone Warehouse employee comes up with detailed descriptions and a name Gesture Typing for a rumoured feature of 4.2?

£389 is for the 8GB version though...

Also I REALLY hope the battery in the Nexus is not lower than the 2100mAh one in the Optimus.

I'm too tired to even speculate on the subject any more. Monday is close enough.

Also one of the LG nexus prototypes factually had a 2100 battery so it'd be weird if it shipped with something lower.

malyce

my god i said i would not spend money. I will not spend money, i will not spend money

What happened to Q2 of next year!

Google can't just sit idly by and let Apple and MS release 2 flagship tablets within mere weeks of each other and not do anything.

Any bets on the US price of the Nexus 4? I'm going to guess $400 for the 8GB model, if they want to be really competitive. However, given the UK price, I could easily see $529 (Nexus One and S).

My educated guess on Nexus 4 pricing:

$500 for 8gb version. No LTE.

Then carriers will sell an 8/16gb version with LTE.

Wildcard is maybe the 8gb version also has a smaller battery and the 16gb doesn't. But that would make little sense.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
My educated guess on Nexus 4 pricing:

$500 for 8gb version. No LTE.

Then carriers will sell an 8/16gb version with LTE.

Wildcard is maybe the 8gb version also has a smaller battery and the 16gb doesn't. But that would make little sense.

$429, 8GB, no el tee eeee

buhdeh

$429 for 8GB sounds more reasonable. Still think it could be $399 though. $500 for an 8GB phone with no LTE would kill it IMO

Blackhead

Redarse
my god i said i would not spend money. I will not spend money, i will not spend money

What happened to Q2 of next year!
It doesn't have a pressure sensitive pen so don't buy it :p
shit just got real!
Am i the only one who uses the AI Keyboard?! It has 5 rows and you can switch the top row on the fly to have arrows keys. Easily moving the cursor is way to important imo for me to switch back to swiftkey or swype

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
TBH I don't know why anyone would even buy a phone without LTE in late 2012.

I'd agree with this statement at least North American wise. US and Canada residents would be stupid to buy a non LTE phone at this juncture unless they are just getting a cheap/free phone for money reasons.

Kiraly

LTE in Europe is in such a shitty state and is rolling out in an unbelievable slow manner, I don't think LTE or not will matter that much to us Europeans.

I'd agree with this statement at least North American wise. US and Canada residents would be stupid to buy a non LTE phone at this juncture unless they are just getting a cheap/free phone for money reasons.

Or, you're on T-Mobile, like me, and there's absolutely zero point in getting an LTE phone.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Flipboard just updated where you can now listen to audio streams both music and talk while you browse your feeds. It also have sound cloud integration now.

jokkir

The main problem I have with Flipboard is that it takes so long to refresh your feeds. At least on my crappy network -__-

krzy123

Wait Google Now shows alternate routes in the Cards? I've never seen it on mine (i use the traffic card alot) or is that being added in 4.2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom