• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

jokkir

Plenty of crappy custom roms have the clock in the middle. I usually refuse to flash any rom has that middle clock shit.

Most of them have an option to move it since most roms are CM10/AOKP based :p. It's the ones that force it in the middle I don't like and I think I only came across one that did that thankfully.

gcubed

You guys, what if that's a screenshot of the new notification bar?

I hate being skeptcial too, but maybe they took community feedback and got a centered clock. Google Now Interface looks a little different as well.

zero chance its in the middle... also zero chance there is the ugly ass battery percentage.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
'HTC DROID DNA' - you can't make this up

Verizon's minimum advertised price list lays out the lowest price that Verizon will allow a third party reseller to advertise a device for. It allows Big Red to have some control over resellers pricing decisions. The MAP list is also a good source of information and in the past it has revealed launch dates and pricing information. Now, Verizon's latest MAP list gives us the name that Big Red will be calling one of its most eagerly awaited devices.

We've seen the HTC 6435LVW go from a rumored device to an actual phone ready to be launched. We also have seen the name of the device go from the HTC DIx (Droid Incredible X) to the HTC DLX (pronounced Deluxe) to the latest moniker courtesy of Verizon's MAP list. According to a leaked copy of the list, the 5 inch phablet from HTC will be known as the HTC DROID DNA. The MAP price, which is often the actual two-year contract price, is $199.99 and a possible November 20th launch date dovetails with earlier word that the phablet would launch around Thanksgiving. Last month, we called the device the first DROID phablet.

Also on the MAP list we can see that the Samsung GALAXY Note II appears ready to launch today in silver or black, at a price of $299.99 with a two-year pact. No surprise there. In addition, we can see a couple of Windows Phone 8 models including the HTC Windows Phone 8X. Just the other day we showed you the phone being tested on the Verizon network. According to the MAP, that phone will be available in blue, black or red at $199.99 on contract, starting November 12th. The Nokia Lumia 822 apparently will also launch on Verizon the same day in grey or white for $99.99.

It also looks like the Samsung Galaxy S III will soon be available in different colors, Amber Brown and Black. Just remember that the MAP list isn't supposed to reveal pricing and launch dates of future devices although it has done a good job at predicting these in the past.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Veri...ch-HTC-DLX-to-be-called-HTC-DROID-DNA_id35875

GSMArena have posted up their full Optimus G battery tests. Interestingly they comment how the Web browsing time (5hrs 15mins) was almost the same as the Galaxy S 3 on ICS, although moving to JB gave the S3 an extra hour. Good signs for Nexus 4 which will be on 4.2 without any sort of skinning/custom browser.

Roll on Monday.

http://blog.gsmarena.com/lg-optimus-...e-the-results/
yeah I posted a bunch of quotes a bit back from different reviews on battery life for the optimus G, they seem very positive. No longer a concern for me. Now...we wait.

reKon

Banned
yeah I posted a bunch of quotes a bit back from different reviews on battery life for the optimus G, they seem very positive. No longer a concern for me. Now...we wait.

This is what I was referring to when I mentioned people complaining about the testing methodology:

http://blog.gsmarena.com/lg-optimus...-despite-power-saving-core-and-large-battery/ (comments):

"we all know that the screen consumes most of the battery,
and the term "50%" is very arbitrary, says it's ~200nits for HTC One X, ~350nits for LG or ~175nits for Samsung (all are rough number) and also sometimes even the phone says 50% but indeed it's 30%, so it's kinda unfair ...

I suggest a fairer method, since you (gsmarena) already had the brightness meter (I assume), you guys just set the phone to the same brightness, say 250nits, then do the all test again, then produce the same chart with the statement that these are conducted with 250nits brightness ...

Hopefully, this helps"

-------------------------------------------

"The LG has 80% higher brightness at 50% brightness than the one X so how on earth is this a valid comparison? Your own tests show the one X at 50% brightness is 200nits bright whereas the LG is 369nits bright. GSMArena your battery tests lose all credibility when you let such loopholes unaddressed. Your battery test methodology if officially invalid I never quite paid attention how gravely flawed it is and I am surprised you guys decided to be lazy and ignored this fatal flaw.

It's all good and fine when phones are "similarly bright" at 50% brightness but that is not the case at all here."

If the brightness really makes up for the difference in battery life by a substantial amount, that's even better for me

This is what I was referring to when I mentioned people complaining about the testing methodology:

http://blog.gsmarena.com/lg-optimus-...large-battery/ (comments):

"we all know that the screen consumes most of the battery,
and the term "50%" is very arbitrary, says it's ~200nits for HTC One X, ~350nits for LG or ~175nits for Samsung (all are rough number) and also sometimes even the phone says 50% but indeed it's 30%, so it's kinda unfair ...

I suggest a fairer method, since you (gsmarena) already had the brightness meter (I assume), you guys just set the phone to the same brightness, say 250nits, then do the all test again, then produce the same chart with the statement that these are conducted with 250nits brightness ...

Hopefully, this helps"

-------------------------------------------

"The LG has 80% higher brightness at 50% brightness than the one X so how on earth is this a valid comparison? Your own tests show the one X at 50% brightness is 200nits bright whereas the LG is 369nits bright. GSMArena your battery tests lose all credibility when you let such loopholes unaddressed. Your battery test methodology if officially invalid I never quite paid attention how gravely flawed it is and I am surprised you guys decided to be lazy and ignored this fatal flaw.

It's all good and fine when phones are "similarly bright" at 50% brightness but that is not the case at all here."
that's pretty interesting. So the main point here is that they made the battery seem worse than it is, if I'm reading it right?

reKon

Banned
that's pretty interesting. So the main point here is that they made the battery seem worse than it is, if I'm reading it right?

Yes, but never mind...

Apparently the 4X can just get very bright according the the test measurements: http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_optimus_g-review-835p3.php

So maybe if you used the Optimus G/Nexus 4 at a lower brightness it would not make such a drastic difference as I thought it would

Still, if they are much brighter devices than the Galaxy Nexus, I don't think I'd want mine set that high anyways. Additionally, they were running ICS on the Optimus G and they said that when they tested the Galaxy S III on Jellybean, their web browsing score increased by almost an hour

I forgot to check for the brightness levels, the crappy max brightness level of the GN is one thing I've never been happy with. For comparison's sake (brightness measured in cd/m2:

Galaxy Nexus
50% - 112
100% 247

Optimus G
50% - 197
100% - 417

One X
50% - 200
100% - 550

S3
50% - 174
100% - 330

iphone 5
50% - 200
100% - 640

My default level of brightness for the GN is 30%, so its going to be even lower again for the Optimus G. Huzzah!

Cipherr

I forgot to check for the brightness levels, the crappy max brightness level of the GN is one thing I've never been happy with. For comparison's sake (brightness measured in cd/m2:

Galaxy Nexus
50% - 112
100% 247

Optimus G
50% - 197
100% - 417

One X
50% - 200
100% - 550

S3
50% - 174
100% - 330

My default level of brightness for the GN is 30%, so its going to be even lower again for the Optimus G. Huzzah!

Lawd, dat OneX

Foshy

I've got a Sony Xperia T and am liking it a lot, but I don't really understand how Android manages SD cards. I have a 32 GB card inserted into it, but it seems to put everything onto the phone memory itself. Is there any way to automatically install every new app directly on the SD card without having to move them manually?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I've got a Sony Xperia T and am liking it a lot, but I don't really understand how Android manages SD cards. I have a 32 GB card inserted into it, but it seems to put everything onto the phone memory itself. Is there any way to automatically install every new app directly on the SD card without having to move them manually?

No one knows how the crappy SD cards work. That's why I want them gone.

buhdeh

No one knows how the crappy SD cards work. That's why I want them gone.

Yep. Some apps can enable it, others can't. Touchwiz camera will save it in SD then another app like Aviary will only save to internal if you edit photos with it. Instagram's camera will save to the internal memory even if you have it set differently in Touchwiz's camera so you end up with two "camera" folders in gallery.

I've gone from trying to have most things on my microSD to just storing music and videos on it.

jokkir

I've gone from trying to have most things on my microSD to just storing music and videos on it.

Yeah, that's why I mainly want an SD card slot on phones. About 70% of my phoen storage right now is music and it's really hard managing what should be in the phone and not.

DrFunk

VerizonGalaxyNoteII.png

Enjoy your Verizon Galaxy Note II, powered by Verizon's 4G LTE Network

Verizon

Yeah, that's why I mainly want an SD card slot on phones. About 70% of my phoen storage right now is music and it's really hard managing what should be in the phone and not.

20 GB of the 28 GB available user storage on my Verizon Galaxy Nexus is music. Yeah, I am really looking forward to the microSD slot on my Verizon Galaxy Note II.

Verizon

Guys, help me out bad here. I have the Nova Launcher on my S3 and I cannot for the life of me to get the wallpaper to scroll when I swipe through home screens. The photo I have is wide enough for the three screens and the crop cuts it out.

freshair

Guys, help me out bad here. I have the Nova Launcher on my S3 and I cannot for the life of me to get the wallpaper to scroll when I swipe through home screens. The photo I have is wide enough for the three screens and the crop cuts it out.

nova settings > desktop > wallpaper scrolling

enabled?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Android Central Article!

Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 to see Jelly Bean from October 25?

Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 owners might want to take a look at this one. Android Central Forums member Skunkape60 shared this image with us all a little earlier today that, if genuine, indicates the Android 4.1 update to the Galaxy S3 will start pushing out from October 25.

Vanillalite

So confused. If I use a photo I have and set to wallpaper, it doesn't scroll. I download a different one off Zedge and it works.

What I do for the 720p phones like the Nexus, One X, and GS3 is

1)download wallbase app
2) set it to the highest resolution they have
3) chose a picture where most of the info is centered
4) set as wallpaper

It'll crop the image, but it only cuts out the sides. Top to bottom everything is there so you just have to find an image where stuff is centered.

Ragus

Banned
So, I want to buy myself Xperia T. I read some reviews, and they state, that this Xperia has some kind of screen protector which is already applied to the screen. I'm not a fan of those things, I just like to have a screen without of any protectors.

So, my question is: Can I safely remove that screen protector? I tried to search on google, but I only saw Xperia Arc threads, where some people wrote, that after taking off that fabric screen protector, their screens started to act crazy. Are they trolling or is it really the case?

Futureman

that Verizon Note II is ridiculous. I just put the image in Photoshop and moved the Verizon to the top left over the status bar. Looks way better there.

DrFunk

So, I want to buy myself Xperia T. I read some reviews, and they state, that this Xperia has some kind of screen protector which is already applied to the screen. I'm not a fan of those things, I just like to have a screen without of any protectors.

So, my question is: Can I safely remove that screen protector? I tried to search on google, but I only saw Xperia Arc threads, where some people wrote, that after taking off that fabric screen protector, their screens started to act crazy. Are they trolling or is it really the case?

Don't remove it. Sony places these on their phones, they're barely noticeable. At the least can you play with one before you buy it?

tino

Banned

I have a Sony NEX camera. They put a very hard screen protector on it. These shit are terrible. They develop bubbles after a year. I had to remove it in force and apply an aftermarket screen protector.

What I do for the 720p phones like the Nexus, One X, and GS3 is

1)download wallbase app
2) set it to the highest resolution they have
3) chose a picture where most of the info is centered
4) set as wallpaper

It'll crop the image, but it only cuts out the sides. Top to bottom everything is there so you just have to find an image where stuff is centered.

Downloading now

VerizonGalaxyNoteII.png

Enjoy your Verizon Galaxy Note II, powered by Verizon's 4G LTE Network

Verizon

That is fugly. It's bad enough they put their big ugly logo on all their phones, but to put it on the button because there is no room on the bezel? That's taking it it to another level. You are gonna hear people call it the Verizon button instead of the home button. lol.

But curious enough, I have a co-worker who was able to get a Verizon Droid Razr from Costco without the Verizon Logo. Not sure how that happened.

Vanillalite

I wonder if they announce 4.2 if it's going to be called Jelly Bean or Key Lime Pie as well as how fast the new itteration will be pushed to current Nexus devices like the Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus 7. You'd think the Nexus 7 should be all clear since none of them currently are carrier tied as well as the non Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

tino

Banned
That is fugly. It's bad enough they put their big ugly logo on all their phones, but to put it on the button because there is no room on the bezel? That's taking it it to another level. You are gonna hear people call it the Verizon button instead of the home button. lol.

But curious enough, I have a co-worker who was able to get a Verizon Droid Razr from Costco without the Verizon Logo. Not sure how that happened.

You can put one of these on it.
SamsungI9220homecrystalstickerpurple2.jpg

Any LG Spectrum owners out there that have updated to ICS yet? I just bought one on ebay to replace my RAZR MAXX that was stolen at Friday night, heard that ICS has finally been released for the phone but not to everyone. I would really like to get the RAZR HD MAXX, but I'm not really trying to start up a new line just to get one right now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom