• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flipboard has never really worked well for me for some reason on my S3. When I first start up my phone, the flip animation is super smooth like it should be. If I come back later and open the app again, the frame rate on the flip animation is terrible. It doesn't fix itself unless I restart my phone.

One weird thing that I noticed is that if there is any kind of overlay on the screen, the flipping animation becomes perfectly smooth again. Like if you refresh and the "No new items." message overlay shows up on the screen, everything is smooth while it's there. I can also reproduce it by turning on the CPU usage overlay in Developer options in Android settings.

tino

Banned
The 5" HTC superphone be will called Droid DNA? I have to say its a good name. Its even better than DLX, or butterfly, or my suggestion, One Z.

Cipherr

Wait Google Now shows alternate routes in the Cards? I've never seen it on mine (i use the traffic card alot) or is that being added in 4.2?

If traffic will slow the commute on the normally fastest route, it will give you the next best route that will get you there the fastest.

zedge

Flipboard has never really worked well for me for some reason on my S3. When I first start up my phone, the flip animation is super smooth like it should be. If I come back later and open the app again, the frame rate on the flip animation is terrible. It doesn't fix itself unless I restart my phone.

One weird thing that I noticed is that if there is any kind of overlay on the screen, the flipping animation becomes perfectly smooth again. Like if you refresh and the "No new items." message overlay shows up on the screen, everything is smooth while it's there. I can also reproduce it by turning on the CPU usage overlay in Developer options in Android settings.

That's weird. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Swype is the best way to type, for me, but it still sucks. I'm most looking forward to this rumored Google one. Killer app.

Tim Cook said:
Let me be clear, we would never make a seven inch tablet. We don't think they're good products, and we would never make one. Not just because it's 7-inch, but for many reasons. One of the reasons... is size.

I was really hoping the reality distortion field might kick the bucket when Steve Jobs passed away, but it looks like even Tim Cook is drinking the Kool Aid. It's that extra .9 inches that defines a good product from a bad, right?

renitou

Not digging the shape and lines on the Nexus 10 personally. I really like the styling of the Nexus 7. Would've loved something that was basically just a larger version of that. Especially the backing - love the material compared to other offerings.

Doopliss

I was really hoping the reality distortion field might kick the bucket when Steve Jobs passed away, but it looks like even Tim Cook is drinking the Kool Aid. It's that extra .9 inches that defines a good product from a bad, right?
Right, as well as the bold decision to use a 4:3 AR (aspect ratio) screen in a device of this size, bucking the market trend of claustrophobic widescreen displays. People said it wasn't possible, but they hadn't counted on a typically brilliant piece of Apple innovation - the asynchronous bezel. That means it's not the same width the whole way around. Those not intimately accustomed with Apple's quality of industrial design may, on first glance, think that the side bezel is too thin, but iPad mini intelligently recognizes whether your thumb is simply resting on the display or whether you’re intentionally interacting with it. It’s the kind of detail you’ll notice — by not noticing it.

This tablet is literally the perfect size for your hand:
pJiBv.jpg

What's everyone's backup plan? What if for some horrible disgusting reason there is no LTE Nexus 4 or it's only sold through the google play store (or both!).

What will you use your upgrade on and why.

Right, as well as the bold decision to use a 4:3 AR (aspect ratio) screen in a device of this size, bucking the market trend of claustrophobic widescreen displays. People said it wasn't possible, but they hadn't counted on a typically brilliant piece of Apple innovation - the asynchronous bezel. That means it's not the same width the whole way around. Those not intimately accustomed with Apple's quality of industrial design may, on first glance, think that the side bezel is too thin, but iPad mini intelligently recognizes whether your thumb is simply resting on the display or whether you’re intentionally interacting with it. It’s the kind of detail you’ll notice — by not noticing it.

This tablet is literally the perfect size for your hand:
pJiBv.jpg

Bravo. I particularly liked the educational bit where we discover what "AR" stands for.

Anything but the iPhone. I need a break from Apple.
I also want a year break from my iphone.

I might wait for the S4.

Maybe the Droid DNA but I'm really sick of Sense.
it's a shame the S4 will end up being 5 inches (eww for me) and still made out of cheap feeling plastic (double eww) knowing samsung. Also sense definitely does suck.

That's the problem, android phones and their skins. My current backup plan: unknown.

I'll laugh if there really only is an 8 GB version. That one guy who bet his account won't be laughing though.

What's everyone's backup plan? What if for some horrible disgusting reason there is no LTE Nexus 4 or it's only sold through the google play store (or both!).

I put in my preorder for the Verizon Galaxy Note II with the incredible Verizon button on the bottom today. The phone won't ship until 11/27 because of how awesome Verizon are so if things change on Monday, I can cancel my preorder.

I can't use upgrades ever again though since I'm grandfathered into unlimited data. The sales lady in the Verizon store looked sad when I declined my upgrade and told her I wanted to pay $700 instead.

Verizon

buhdeh

I made that bet. Not even worried brah.

Though I'm not sure the mods actually care for ban bets. If not, I'll change my avatar to whatever you guys want as long as it isn't offensive.

tino

Banned
I made that bet. Not even worried brah.

Though I'm not sure the mods actually care for ban bets. If not, I'll change my avatar to whatever you guys want as long as it isn't offensive.

How about a picture of a Kin phone or something?

VoxPop

I also want a year break from my iphone.

it's a shame the S4 will end up being 5 inches (eww for me) and still made out of cheap feeling plastic (double eww) knowing samsung. Also sense definitely does suck.

That's the problem, android phones and their skins. My current backup plan: unknown.

I always wondered why all the Android manufacturers never used anything but plastic and the horrible designs like the GS3 or Razr. Surely there are better engineers and designers out there. If any of the manufacturers designed something like the iPhone or close to it, I feel like they could easily run Apple out of business slowly but surely. What's the issue?

Only deal breaker for me would be it shipping with 8GB of storage. Sadly I don't have a backup plan, i'll just keep my GN for a lot longer if that is the case.

Is it possible to get the cyanogenmod toggle without installing cyanogenmod? I love how their toggle is at the top of notification drawer, but I don't want to put CM on my phone.

Angst

Is it possible to get the cyanogenmod toggle without installing cyanogenmod? I love how their toggle is at the top of notification drawer, but I don't want to put CM on my phone.

You could install AOKP instead of CM, but I'm guessing you want to stay on stock? I don't think you can get the settings toggle without going off the reservation.

Edit - if you're referring to the wi-fi toggles etc in the notification bar, there's an app for that: Notification Toggle

What's everyone's backup plan? If for some horrible disgusting reason there is no LTE Nexus 4 or it's only sold through the google play store (or both!).

If there is no Verizon nexus 4, I'm going iPhone 5, unless some amazing Android phone gets announced. I'm not satisfied with any other Android phone already announced. IPhone 5 is blazing fast and i actually miss having a compact size phone.

I always wondered why all the Android manufacturers never used anything but plastic and the horrible designs like the GS3 or Razr. Surely there are better engineers and designers out there. If any of the manufacturers designed something like the iPhone or close to it, I feel like they could easily run Apple out of business slowly but surely. What's the issue?

same reason they don't make cars that are huge hunks of metal anymore, they make them more durable nowadays. plastic is just a better material for a long lasting device.

If there is no Verizon nexus 4, I'm going iPhone 5, unless some amazing Android phone gets announced. I'm not satisfied with any other Android phone already announced. IPhone 5 is blazing fast and i actually miss having a compact size phone.
yeah that's the problem. I want to take a break from my 4S but I really dislike everything else out now. Might end up just going 5. Guess we'll see.

kinggroin

Banned
yeah that's the problem. I want to take a break from my 4S but I really dislike everything else out now. Might end up just going 5. Guess we'll see.

They are such radically different ideologies that I can never wrap my head around folks who are flexible with this stuff. I can never use an iPhone until its an Android phone unfortunately; my workflow would be completely sucked.

Edit: I would love to own one for music and gaming purposes however. I notice I'm doing mobile gaming a lot more on my phone than my dedicated units, but then again...that could be because of unified convenience, which would be rendered moot if I had another device just for this stuff....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom