• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
8GB? No LTE? Ouch.

Good news is now I can wait another year before having to pay $700 for a verizon phone. Stupid verizon and your tiered data.

Stuck with G-nex for a while longer, cant complain though, its a great phone. just feels cheap in your hand.

They are such radically different ideologies that I can never wrap my head around folks who are flexible with this stuff. I can never use an iPhone until its an Android phone unfortunately; my workflow would be completely sucked.

Edit: I would love to own one for music and gaming purposes however. I notice I'm doing mobile gaming a lot more on my phone than my dedicated units, but then again...that could be because of unified convenience, which would be rendered moot if I had another device just for this stuff....
lol I use my smartphone mostly for web browsing/email/apps. Nothing that can't be done by jumping from OS to OS without hurting the experience. I've gone iphone/android/iphone for a while now. I'm at the iphone point in my cycle. Wanted to get a nexus 4 but preparing for the worst just in case there is no LTE or something weird that turns me off completely.

I've also owned an ipad and current own a nex7. I plan to own a windows 8 pro device next year too. I also use an ipod for my music because I like having that in one place that is small for car reasons.

Haha seems like a lot but basically I use whatever I'm in the mood for. The life of a tech whore.

8GB? No LTE? Ouch.

Good news is now I can wait another year before having to pay $700 for a verizon phone. Stupid verizon and your tiered data.

Stuck with G-nex for a while longer, cant complain though, its a great phone. just feels cheap in your hand.
it's not confirmed at all, there is just likely to be one version of the phone without LTE. We'll find out mondayyyyy. We already know there is a 16gb version likely, so that might mean LTE is somewhere as well. Also I doubt carriers would want it if it didn't have LTE and apparently carriers will have it.

renitou

I always wondered why all the Android manufacturers never used anything but plastic and the horrible designs like the GS3 or Razr. Surely there are better engineers and designers out there. If any of the manufacturers designed something like the iPhone or close to it, I feel like they could easily run Apple out of business slowly but surely. What's the issue?
Before last year, I wouldn't have been able to tell you. Now? Patents.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
it's not confirmed at all, there is just likely to be one version of the phone without LTE. We'll find out mondayyyyy. We already know there is a 16gb version likely, so that might mean LTE is somewhere as well. Also I doubt carriers would want it if it didn't have LTE and apparently carriers will have it.

Hey, thats good to hear, I hadn't read that anywhere.

Monday can't come soon enough. I need more gadgets to lust after!

Could this be the wireless charging station for the new nexus phone?

2mYTM.jpg
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Is-this-the-wireless-charging-pad-for-the-LG-Nexus-4_id35953

kinggroin

Banned
lol I use my smartphone mostly for web browsing/email/apps. Nothing that can't be done by jumping from OS to OS without hurting the experience. I've gone iphone/android/iphone for a while now. I'm at the iphone point in my cycle. Wanted to get a nexus 4 but preparing for the worst just in case there is no LTE or something weird that turns me off completely.

I've also owned an ipad and current own a nex7. I plan to own a windows 8 pro device next year too. I also use an ipod for my music because I like having that in one place that is small for car reasons.

Haha seems like a lot but basically I use whatever I'm in the mood for. The life of a tech whore.

I do envy you, I admit

Argyle

Magnets? Magnets.....

No... every wireless charging system that doesn't use a thin flat mat, is terrible.

Disagree, Palm Touchstone was great. I had one in my car and the phone would just snap on to the charger and wouldn't fly off while driving, it was great!

Futureman

Android tablets make huge surge in market share last quarter.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...-Analytics-Android-Captures-Record-41-Percent

This, my friends, us why Apple seemed rattled with all the Nexus 7 comparisons at the Mini event.

it's actually pretty shocking to me that Android had 30% tablet marketshare in Q3 2011. Going by the general consensus and what Apple says at their events, I would have guessed it was more like 85/15.

It'll probably end up just like phones. A year from now Apple's tablet dominance will most likely be no more.

Aggrotek

Ok, so I have a Droid Bionic, and just was prompted this morning to update to 4.0.4.
I did, but now my phone repeatedly crashes for no reason, I can't load into my text messages. I tried deleting all my apps that weren't included with the phone but it is still freaking out. Sometimes it won't even unlock the screen, I'll push the unlock key and nothing will happen or I'll slide to unlock and it will go to black screen.

gcubed

it's actually pretty shocking to me that Android had 30% tablet marketshare in Q3 2011. Going by the general consensus and what Apple says at their events, I would have guessed it was more like 85/15.

It'll probably end up just like phones. A year from now Apple's tablet dominance will most likely be no more.

dat kindle fire

Cipherr

Android tablets make huge surge in market share last quarter.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...-Analytics-Android-Captures-Record-41-Percent

This, my friends, us why Apple seemed rattled with all the Nexus 7 comparisons at the Mini event.

God damn, so its true then. I remember seeing that chart showing that Android tablets had grown in marketshare YOY but I was a little skeptical. Christ, soooooo many bad tablets sold too. N7 and the TF are pretty much the only ones I could recommend to anyone. Just one more reason I think Apple should have went with $199 and just killed this entire movement in one fell swoop.

dat kindle fire

Some of it, but not all of it.

PJ_12_09_17_tabletNews-report_02.png

tino

Banned
8GB? No LTE? Ouch.

Do you really use that much data? It's probably cheaper to sign a new contract and pay the overage on the month you go over the data cap. Have you pull your data usage history and done the math?

Ownership is splitting but web traffic is still overwhelmingly in apples favour. So I'm not sure what android owners are doing with their tablets exactly :/ Either throwing them in the trash or collecting dust. Or used for skateboarding.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/26/google-nexus-10-leaks-android-tablet/

Engadget said:
Internally, there's (reportedly) a dual-core 1.7GHz Samsung Exynos 5250, a Mali-T604 GPU, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of internal storage, a 5 megapixel rear-facing camera, NFC / WiFi, Bluetooth 4.0 and a Super AMOLED panel with a drool-worthy 2,560 x 1,600 screen resolution -- yeah, that's well into "Retina" territory at 298.9 pixels per inch. You may recognize that Exynos 5250 from Google's recently released $249 Chromebook, but here, it's being used to push Android 4.2. Those hungry for more can visit the source link, but don't go in hoping to extract an asking price.

If this is true, these specs are unbelievable. Super Amoled 10" screen at that resolution running on an A15 dual core with that Mali GPU?? Mother of god.

Cipherr

well, the benchmarks show the res and processor. What the hell is this thing going to cost?

$399 bare minimum look at the specs. I guess they want a top end device out there too. I was hoping possibly for a mild step up from the Nex7 to hit that $299 sweet spot, but I guess Ill have to go with a 3G Nex7.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Do you really use that much data? It's probably cheaper to sign a new contract and pay the overage on the month you go over the data cap. Have you pull your data usage history and done the math?

I do, mostly from streaming music services and downloading podcasts.

4GB would be gone in 2 weeks for me.

gcubed

$399 bare minimum look at the specs. I guess they want a top end device out there too. I was hoping possibly for a mild step up from the Nex7 to hit that $299 sweet spot, but I guess Ill have to go with a 3G Nex7.

if its 399 i'd be very surprised. a 10.1" AMOLED?

re:pics... well. at least it won't get sued for trade dress infringement from apple

There's pictures of the new quick settings, obvious leak of multiple accounts, the new gallery, new icons and other stuff in there. Strangely they have put the on screen buttons in the centre, so I'm not sure if they are going for vertical use being the norm, not horizontal? Because in horizontal it would seem to be a bit awkward. Interesting that Chrome is again the default browser.

good god that's ugly. the n7 looks so much better

It actually doesn't look as bad as I thought it would when I saw the user guide leaks. It wouldn't surprise me if they've deliberately designed it so that even from a distance you can't mistake it for an iPad. And I don't think that's an Amoled panel. The blacks around the on screen buttons don't merge into the bezel they way they do on my Galaxy Nexus. Unless Google have made that area a little greyer (which I doubt).

Wonder why it isn't using the tablet UI.

It is. The new Tablet UI and phone UI are to all intents now identical it would appear. It's clear that this device is designed to be used vertically too. Look at the speaker placement. (I think it makes much more sense and looks much better when used vertically)

EDIT: Or maybe not, cos all the branding and camera on the back are horizontal. And there is no speaker placements on the front, just looks like a design thing to provide grip.

image111-371x450.png

2560x1600 resolution is impressive enough, but Super AMOLED as well? Holy crapballs.

Google just may as well rename their event "Here's something you may have seen last week" now.

VanWinkle

Hmm...I'm not really that sad about having the tablet interface looking more like the phone interface. Looks like it scales well. The only thing I'm not sure about is having the home/back/multitask buttons in the bottom middle instead of bottom left. Seems like it would get annoying.

But that screen sounds INSANE. I couldn't imagine this being less than $499 because of that one fact.

Looks metal on the back which is nice, but that Nexus 7 material randomly placed is weird. Of course, it could be all plastic, lol.

after seeing those camera shots... can't be AMOLED

Definitely. That was the spec which blew me away the most because amoled panels at that size and resolution are hideously expensive. I'm betting it's either LCD or an IPS display.

On another note, this is quite an interesting move from Google. Instead of just working with one SOC they've gone with 2. Qualcomm for the phone, Samsung/Exynos for the tablet. And if you presume we'll be seeing this update on the Xoom, Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7, then we'll have stock Android running on Tegra, Ti Omap, Exynos and Qualcomm processors. That's pretty much all the major mobile CPU vendors with the exception of Intel.

Futureman

I just want Goog to add the auto-rotate to the phone somewhere else besides Settings. Put it in the Power control widget or notification shade I DON'T care.

I just want Goog to add the auto-rotate to the phone somewhere else besides Settings. Put it in the Power control widget or notification shade I DON'T care.

If you look at that quick settings panel above, that's exactly what they've done.

Lol that N10 looks terrible. There seems to be no good designers out there aside from J. Ive.

HTC One X in white says hi. It's really, really beautiful hardware.

VoxPop

If you look at that quick settings panel above, that's exactly what they've done.

HTC One X in white says hi. It's really, really beautiful hardware.

Yeah the One X is nice. Got to play with one. But it's still cheap plastic. I think the Lumia 920 is the best out there along with the iPhone. I really don't know why there are no good Android manufacturers (design wise). They could easily blow Apple out of the water if they made a beautiful phone. My 3 year old niece could come up with better designs than the crap out there right now. Why are they so in love with plastic and shitty non unibody designs?

Yeah the One X is nice. Got to play with one. But it's still cheap plastic. I think the Lumia 920 is the best out there along with the iPhone. I really don't know why there are no good Android manufacturers (design wise). They could easily blow Apple out of the water if they made a beautiful phone. My 3 year old niece could come up with better designs than the crap out there right now. Why are they so in love with plastic and shitty non unibody designs?

The One X is Polycarbonate, it's not quite plastic. I actually think it feels really nice, but at the same time you don't panic about dropping it in the same way you would an iPhone. I had a Lumia 800 and it does look gorgeous, but I actually found it uncomfortable to hold. Sharp edges look great, but aren't that practical.

VoxPop

The One X is Polycarbonate, it's not quite plastic. I actually think it feels really nice, but at the same time you don't panic about dropping it in the same way you would an iPhone. I had a Lumia 800 and it does look gorgeous, but I actually found it uncomfortable to hold. Sharp edges look great, but aren't that practical.

Yet it still felt and looked like plastic. Dropping my phone is the last of my worries. I would love to use an Android phone if it didn't look and feel like shit like my old GNex. I had the GS3 for a couple of days before returning it and it just felt way too cheap.

I don't get why they don't go for something like this

HTC-New-Eden.png

Is it cause the materials cost too much? I'm sure the sales will offset that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom