• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angst

Yeah the One X is nice. Got to play with one. But it's still cheap plastic. I think the Lumia 920 is the best out there along with the iPhone. I really don't know why there are no good Android manufacturers (design wise). They could easily blow Apple out of the water if they made a beautiful phone. My 3 year old niece could come up with better designs than the crap out there right now. Why are they so in love with plastic and shitty non unibody designs?
"boy did we patent that"

Seriously though I have to agree, even though I really like the S3.

buhdeh

One X looks and feels pretty good to me. The Lumia 800 was nice too but I agree with the edges being too sharp. Felt like it was digginig into my palms everytime I held it even remotely tightly.

One X looks pretty good but I don't think it feels that high quality. Not terrible though like the galaxy S3.

Apple doesn't have a patent on shit that looks and feels high quality, these companies are just too lazy to go the extra mile and offer the best possible product they can offer.

The One X is Polycarbonate, it's not quite plastic. I actually think it feels really nice, but at the same time you don't panic about dropping it in the same way you would an iPhone. I had a Lumia 800 and it does look gorgeous, but I actually found it uncomfortable to hold. Sharp edges look great, but aren't that practical.

they're all polycarbonate, not just the One X.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
One X wasn't cheap plastic by any means, it was high quality plastic

also, those Nexus 10 pics could be from a dev/beta unit. Perhaps the final won't be so fugly

VanWinkle

One X looks pretty good but I don't think it feels that high quality. Not terrible though like the galaxy S3.

That's weird, since almost every non-techie person I let try out my S3 remarks on how it feels really nice.

One S is really nice in build materials and design. Anodized aluminum.

Samsung_Galaxy_Nexus_(Sprint)_35150761_09_540x405.jpg

htc-one-s-specs.jpg

VoxPop

That's weird, since almost every non-techie person I let try out my S3 remarks on how it feels really nice.

One S is really nice in build materials and design. Anodized aluminum.

Samsung_Galaxy_Nexus_(Sprint)_35150761_09_540x405.jpg

htc-one-s-specs.jpg

That back design looks terrible. This is exactly what I'm talking about.

VanWinkle

maybe as a standalone but in comparison to lets say the iphone? It feels like garbage.

To each their own I guess. Most of the people I let use it have iPhones. I have an iPhone 4, and it feels a little better, but it doesn't REMOTELY make the S3 feel garbage. In fact, S3 feels a lot more comfortable to hold rather than the sharp angular dense iPhone.

That back design looks terrible. This is exactly what I'm talking about.

Huh. Okay. That is an absolutely ridiculous opinion to me, but alright.

VoxPop

To each their own I guess. Most of the people I let use it have iPhones. I have an iPhone 4, and it feels a little better, but it doesn't REMOTELY make the S3 feel garbage. In fact, S3 feels a lot more comfortable to hold rather than the sharp angular dense iPhone.

Not sure if serious

Lumia 920 said:

iPhone 5 said:

iPhone 4 said:

One S said:

GS3 said:

One X said:

Futureman

I don't understand how you can defend the Lumia and then say the One X is cheap. I think the One X looks way classier than the Lumia, though I like them both.

I love my GNex. A phone doesn't need to be made out of aluminum and glass to look good to me I guess.

Angst

Good thing they pics only show the back so we don't have to look at the iOS atrocious home screen :p

Please stop posting iphone stuff here.

To me it's less about look and more about feel. They simply feel cheap.

When I hold my 4S it feels like something that costs a lot of money, it feels fucking SOLID, it feels well built and thought-out and designed.

Then I hold a nexus S or galaxy whatever or random android phone and it's like :/

They definitely need to step it up, to deny that is making excuses. Lumia phones definitely feel a bit better.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm more worried about the screen being Super AMOLED.

I just go in assuming android industrial design 90% of the time is going to suck.

The screen has me semi worried though. I'm just not an AMOLED fan at all. I know I know. Supposedly they fixed Super AMOLED on the Note 2, but I still think even if the pentile problem is solved the color reproduction problem is still there.

I had an amoled screen, and I've moved back to an lcd screen with my current phone. I have no reason to want to go back to amoled anytime soon.

I'm more worried about the screen being Super AMOLED.

I just go in assuming android industrial design 90% of the time is going to suck.

The screen has me semi worried though. I'm just not an AMOLED fan at all. I know I know. Supposedly they fixed Super AMOLED on the Note 2, but I still think even if the pentile problem is solved the color reproduction problem is still there.

I had an amoled screen, and I've moved back to an lcd screen with my current phone. I have no reason to want to go back to amoled anytime soon.

I'm 95% sure it's not Amoled.

zedge

I'm with you. The s3 in no way feels like garbage. That's just silly.

I don't understand how you can defend the Lumia and then say the One X is cheap. I think the One X looks way classier than the Lumia, though I like them both.

I love my GNex. A phone doesn't need to be made out of aluminum and glass to look good to me I guess.

a phone made of materials that easily show wear and tear doesn't look good or instill any confidence that the designer knew they were making a phone. it's like making a car with sweet looking iconic octagon shaped wheels

The engadget article says...
spec list says AMOLED, accompanying photos say "lol, no."

unless they completely blew it on the calibration, no way that's AMOLED.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
a phone made of materials that easily show wear and tear doesn't look good or instill any confidence that the designer knew they were making a phone. it's like making a car with sweet looking iconic octagon shaped wheels

I'm just going off my personal experience, but I have a White One X which looks fine. I've heard the rumors that people were saying the polycarb was getting discolored in their pockets, but so far I've not had this issue. I could just be lucky though.

To me it's less about look and more about feel. They simply feel cheap.

When I hold my 4S it feels like something that costs a lot of money, it feels fucking SOLID, it feels well built and thought-out and designed.

Then I hold a nexus S or galaxy whatever or random android phone and it's like :/

They definitely need to step it up, to deny that is making excuses. Lumia phones definitely feel a bit better.

for me, the 4S feels like a delicate flower. something i would put on my desk in a vase and water it until it wilts, then when it starts to go, i would put it in between two sheets of wax paper and place that in between two books to flatten and preserve its looks. the S3 feels like a phone. something i would carry around and use every day.

So HTC is the only android manufacturer that cared about build quality and design right? Samsung is without a doubt the premier android OEM and yet they design bogus looking phones. I played with a galaxy s 3 today and it definitely wasn't a looker and felt "cheap". The one x would be the perfect phone for me but the battery they put in it is terrible. I heard that the evo late battery is supposed to bigger but it's still only 2000 mAh. I own a epic touch 4g(galaxy s2) and I can't find a perfect upgrade. With jellybean coming soon I might not even need to upgrade.

I'm just going off my personal experience, but I have a White One X which looks fine. I've heard the rumors that people were saying the polycarb was getting discolored in their pockets, but so far I've not had this issue. I could just be lucky though.

i've seen rumors. oh wait, those are photos.

So HTC is the only android manufacturer that cared about build quality and design right? Samsung is without a doubt the premier android OEM and yet they design bogus looking phones. I played with a galaxy s 3 today and it definitely wasn't a looker and felt "cheap". The one x would be the perfect phone for me but the battery they put in it is terrible. I heard that the evo late battery is supposed to bigger but it's still only 2000 mAh. I own a epic touch 4g(galaxy s2) and I can't find a perfect upgrade. With jellybean coming soon I might not even need to upgrade.

i think you mean HTC is the manufacturer that doesn't care about what people want, while Samsung includes removable batteries, sd card slots, etc and gets the sales from customers interested in that sort of thing. people who don't want features like that can already get a Nexus, iPhone or Lumia.

VoxPop

Okay, but what was the point? That you like angular backs more than curved?

No that was in response to you saying that my opinion that the back was ugly was ridiculous. I'm pretty sure the general consensus is that its ugly compared to other devices. I have nothing against Android. It was a genuine question asking why Android manufacturers don't make better looking phone and use better materials.

I see all these back pictures and all I can think of is my G1 with its extended battery cover, which is half-broken at the bottom from jean pocket attrition.

I still use it. Hurry up and come out Nexus 4 so I can lay it to rest ;_;

No that was in response to you saying that my opinion that the back was ugly was ridiculous. I'm pretty sure the general consensus is that its ugly compared to other devices. I have nothing against Android. It was a genuine question asking why Android manufacturers don't make better looking phone and use better materials.

it's already been established that your definition of better looking phones actually use worse materials.

I really wish they would change the Samsung logo to an actual logo instead of text or at least make it look more classy. And also not plaster it on the top on the front of the phone like anyone wants it.

so you want them to copy Apple?

Nilay on the vergecast on the same boat as some of us. Wants to go Android next but all the phones suck right now, lol, with the one X being closest but still missing the mark because of sense and battery life.

Nexus 4 is the final hope.

VanWinkle

Nilay on the vergecast on the same boat as some of us. Wants to go Android next but all the phones suck right now, lol, with the one X being closest but still missing the mark because of sense and battery life.

If he thinks all Android phones suck right now, then I don't think he legitimately wants to go Android next.

If he thinks all Android phones suck right now, then I don't think he legitimately wants to go Android next.
Why. I want to go back to android and I wouldn't buy a single phone on the market right now. None. He's fine and satisfied with iOS, as I am, but wants something different. But is fine going either way.

Nexus 4 is the final hope.

it's funny that people who want to switch are all about crippled devices that don't sell, while the feature packed devices that sell aren't the ones that the outsiders want...

Why. I want to go back to android and I wouldn't buy a single phone on the market right now. None. He's fine and satisfied with iOS, as I am, but wants something different. But is fine going either way.

you (and him) don't want android... you've just been married for a few years and you love your wife, but you just saw this hot 23 year old chick in a sun dress and got a little wood. don't cheat on your wife.

it's funny that people who want to switch are all about crippled devices that don't sell, while the feature packed devices that sell aren't the ones that the outsiders want...
casuals man, they don't care. They don't know any better. They see big screen and the people that work at the stores tell them the galaxy s3 is amazing so they take it.

But we know there is better, or there can be better :( Ignorance is bliss.

you (and him) don't want android... you've just been married for a few years and you love your wife, but you just saw this hot 23 year old chick in a sun dress and got a little wood. don't cheat on your wife.
you realize I've used android just as much as I have used iOS right? I had a nexus S for a year and only stopped using it recently, now I also have a Nex7 that I use every day.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Monday is almost here. I'm surprised we are really going to hear about 4.2. Maybe a month ago, it seemed like there was no news on the new OS.

casuals man, they don't care. They don't know any better. They see big screen and the people that work at the stores tell them the galaxy s3 is amazing so they take it.

But we know there is better, or there can be better :( Ignorance is bliss.

why do people say they want better then ask for worse?

HTC One X? really!?!? Nexus 4 should be a fine choice for people who considered that device as their almost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom