• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanWinkle

casuals man, they don't care. They don't know any better. They see big screen and the people that work at the stores tell them the galaxy s3 is amazing so they take it.

But we know there is better, or there can be better :( Ignorance is bliss.

But how can you say this as fact? I follow phones very intently. I know what a good phone is. I'm a huge gadget nerd. I have an iPhone 4 and it's nice. I also have an S3 that I got the day it came out on Verizon and I know that it's an incredible phone, at least for me, and I'm not remotely a "casual".

you realize I've used android just as much as I have used iOS right? I had a nexus S for a year and only stopped using it recently, now I also have a Nex7 that I use every day.

so it's not even a year yet and you want to cheat on your wife? oh wait, you're mormon? n/m.

It's funny cos I rarely find myself agreeing with Nilay. But I will say that Touchwiz and Sense are still stuck in pre 4.0 UI's and that doesn't help.

it's funny that all i see is all the additions to AOSP that were in TouchWiz or Sense first. oh wait, i also see the ones that haven't made it yet...

But how can you say this as fact? I follow phones very intently. I know what a good phone is. I'm a huge gadget nerd. I have an iPhone 4 and it's nice. I also have an S3 that I got the day it came out on Verizon and I know that it's an incredible phone, at least for me, and I'm not remotely a "casual".
I don't know, I personally think touchwiz is an abomination. And nobody give me that rooting tooting business. But if you're fine with it then consider yourself lucky.

For me, once I tasted pure android there is simply no going back. I must have that and only that and I will make no compromises.

so it's not even a year yet and you want to cheat on your wife? oh wait, you're mormon? n/m.
nope, I <3 iOS. Still will have my ipod.

Or you know, any other company that moves on with the times. I doubt they'll ever change it though due to them basically owning Korea. Think about what a logo change would do. Anarchy in SoKo.

i dunno if you've been paying attention, but the vast majority of opinions on all the logo chances recently (including Microsoft's) have been negative.

I don't know, I personally think touchwiz is an abomination. And nobody give me that rooting tooting business. But if you're fine with it then consider yourself lucky.

For me, once I tasted pure Google there is simply no going back. I must have that and only that and I will make no compromises.

fixed that for you.

<3 Android, but Pure Google is lacking. give me CM any day over that. give me TouchWiz over that.

VoxPop

i dunno if you've been paying attention, but the vast majority of opinions on all the logo chances recently (including Microsoft's) have been negative.

Any logo change usually ends up negative but people move on.

old-microsoft-logo.jpg

Look how dated that thing looks.

VanWinkle

I'm saying I want nexus 4, and Nilay wants it to be good as well.

About Nilay (this isn't about you; I'm sure you're being truthful), I honestly don't think ANYTHING being announced about the next Nexus would satisfy him and make him switch. He'll find stuff he doesn't like about it. Doesn't matter how good it may be. I've been following him and the Engadget/The Verge crew for years. I don't think he would actually switch, at least anytime in the near future.

About Nilay (this isn't about you; I'm sure you're being truthful), I honestly don't think ANYTHING being announced about the next Nexus would satisfy him and make him switch. He'll find stuff he doesn't like about it. Doesn't matter how good it may be. I've been following him and the Engadget/The Verge crew for years. I don't think he would actually switch, at least anytime in the near future.
maybe, nilay is a nitpicker for sure. The whole podcast he was nitpicking the surface RT.

But alas. Give me 8/16gb, LTE version on all carriers. And it will be mine. Monday will be the last hope :(

VanWinkle

maybe, nilay is a nitpicker for sure. The whole podcast he was nitpicking the surface RT.

But alas. Give me 8/16gb, LTE version on all carriers. And it will be mine. Monday will be the last hope :(

That's all he does about any product that isn't Apple. I think Apple makes great stuff, but my goodness, they aren't perfect either, and Nilay is really annoying about nitpicking/disregarding any Android/Windows phone or tablet.

Doopliss

The separate status bar and navigation bar on the Nexus 10 look awful. Why waste more screen space for no benefit? Do Google want people to associate Android with almost-empty black bars letterboxing the screen?

tino

Banned
i'm bringing sexy back

These kind of design (S2, S3, Note 1, 2) are the best. You can completely replace the back with custom back plate that doesn't increase the bulkness of phone and you can make the phone look very deffirent.

Also you have sd slot and removable battery.

I like it much better than other dumb ass "unibody" solution.

Cipherr

These kind of design (S2, S3, Note 1, 2) are the best. You can completely replace the back with custom back plate that doesn't increase the bulkness of phone and you can make the phone look very deffirent.

Also you have sd slot and removable battery.

I like it much better than other dumb ass "unibody" solution.

I'm with you on that. Function over Form in that case. Could give a crap about a unibody when I lose the option for massive expandable storage and swappable batteries.

VoxPop

I'm with you on that. Function over Form in that case. Could give a crap about a unibody when I lose the option for massive expandable storage and swappable batteries.

Never understood the need for extra batteries when most modern phones give all day battery life and can be charged at anytime. Expandable storage I guess is good for people who carry around a lot of movies or something but other than that I don't see much use for it. Especially when you need to root your phone to even get your apps onto the SD card. The N7 proved you don't need any of those things to be successful. Form over function any day in my book as long as the function isn't completely broken.

it's funny that all i see is all the additions to AOSP that were in TouchWiz or Sense first. oh wait, i also see the ones that haven't made it yet...

Additions. Very few useful ones and a hell of a lot of gimmicks. I'm not prepared to sacrifice UI consistency for a couple of extra features I can normally find in apps on the play store anyway. The only thing I really missed from non stock ROMs was quick controls in the notification bar, but it looks like they sorted that in 4.2....

EDIT: For clarity I'm talking ICS and beyond. There are now very few features in Touchwiz or Sense that I miss from stock. Even the guys in CM realised that there was too much bloat and scaled back. I hope 4.2 is all about fixing the niggles. Gapless playback. Better cloud management of photos. etc etc. They've already nailed most of the UI elements, now it's time fix some basic oversights in Android.

Cipherr

Never understood the need for extra batteries when most modern phones give all day battery life and can be charged at anytime.

And yet, in this very thread there are probably no less than 200 freakouts about phones not shipping with a battery big enough, or complaints about the battery life of one phone or another.

Expandable storage I guess is good for people who carry around a lot of movies or something but other than that I don't see much use for it

And yet, in this very thread there are probably no less than 200 freakouts about phones not shipping with storage space big enough, or complaints about the miniscule storage space of one phone or another.

You either care about these things or you don't.

The N7 proved you don't need any of those things to be successful.

Im no interested in what bare minimum is required in order for a device to achieve 'success', and that certainly doesn't dictate my desire for function in a device.

tino

Banned
Never understood the need for extra batteries when most modern phones give all day battery life and can be charged at anytime. Expandable storage I guess is good for people who carry around a lot of movies or something but other than that I don't see much use for it. Especially when you need to root your phone to even get your apps onto the SD card. The N7 proved you don't need any of those things to be successful. Form over function any day in my book as long as the function isn't completely broken.

You don't hike, go camping, or take any oversea flights?

See these? This is called security.

VoxPop

And yet, in this very thread there are probably no less than 200 freakouts about phones not shipping with a battery big enough, or complaints about the battery life of one phone or another.

And yet, in this very thread there are probably no less than 200 freakouts about phones not shipping with storage space big enough, or complaints about the miniscule storage space of one phone or another.

You either care about these things or you don't.

Im no interested in what bare minimum is required in order for a device to achieve 'success', and that certainly doesn't dictate my desire for function in a device.

People only complain about those things because they were wildly mediocre on whatever the device they were using. If they were to get a device with a good battery, enough storage, there wouldn't be as much clamor for swappable batteries and expandable storage. Expandable storage becomes more and more meaningless with the introduction of the cloud.

tino said:

yeah because everyone goes camping and hiking everyday.

I've flown out of the country about 11 times this year alone. I never had worries about battery life. I just bring a charger and charge my device when needed.

Yeah I really don't care about extra batteries, no one I know cares either. Places to charge are everywhere whether it's in the car, at work, at home, etc...not really an issue. The problem is when the battery can't even get you through the day, like sony releasing the Xperia T with a below-2000mah battery. Embarassing.

The option is nice for those who do want it, but I aint losin sleep.

Yeah the One X is nice. Got to play with one. But it's still cheap plastic. I think the Lumia 920 is the best out there along with the iPhone. I really don't know why there are no good Android manufacturers (design wise). They could easily blow Apple out of the water if they made a beautiful phone. My 3 year old niece could come up with better designs than the crap out there right now. Why are they so in love with plastic and shitty non unibody designs?

Apple would sue them if they made beautiful phones, because Apple invented beauty!

i'm sure my grandma wouldn't mind missing those things in a phone.

tino

Banned
Yeah I really don't care about extra batteries, no one I know cares either. Places to charge are everywhere whether it's in the car, at work, at home, etc...not really an issue. The problem is when the battery can't even get you through the day, like sony releasing the Xperia T with a below-2000mah battery. Embarassing.

The option is nice for those who do want it, but I aint losin sleep.

If nobody cares about removable battery, One X's sales number wouldn't be so much worse than S3's.

Again, I am not trying to change your opinion. I am just saying alot of people care about it.

VoxPop

If nobody cares about removable battery, One X's sale wouldn't be some much worse than S3's.

Again, I am not trying to change your opinion. I am just saying alot of people care about it.

Really? You think people don't buy the One X over the S3 cause of the removable battery? SMH.

That would be a mad slick phone, minus all the written shit on the back.

If nobody cares about removable battery, One X's sale wouldn't be some much worse than S3's.

oh come on. The galaxy s3 is shitting on every android phone in life because of the insane marketing presence samsung has. They've positioned it as THE android phone to get, and then reinforced it with constant commercials and international marketing. They basically owned the olympics too. It's THE other option (other to the iphone).

HTC can't sell shit because they have no marketing and don't release their phones on all carriers.

I'd bet a ton that battery had little to do with it.

no way man, the only reason the One X got DESTROYED by the GS3 is that Samsung was dragged into the news by all those lawsuits and people thought buying a Samsung was almost like buying an iPhone.

Well I didn't mean to go on and fully copy Apple like Samsung did but create something new and fresh. Like this one I posted earlier

htc-new-eden-478x454.jpg

looks like something that contains mints.

Cipherr

Yes I do. SMH.

And expandable storage, and TW over sense, and good faith from the S2/S1 (not so much the S1), and carrier availability and more. Overall the S3 is the better phone to me and many more people. The S3's success over the One X is earned. The One X even had those screen and camera software issues at launch and whatnot.

Most of what you listed don't apply to the US market. Americans don't watch Olympic.

You must have missed the 100,000,000,000 crying bald eagle GIFs we posted during the games mate!

tino

Banned
That would be a mad slick phone, minus all the written shit on the back.

oh come on. The galaxy s3 is shitting on every android phone in life because of the insane marketing presence samsung has. They've positioned it as THE android phone to get, and then reinforced it with constant commercials and international marketing. They basically owned the olympics too. It's THE other option (other to the iphone).

HTC can't sell shit because they have no marketing and don't release their phones on all carriers.

I'd bet a ton that battery had little to do with it.

Most of what you listed don't apply to the US market. Americans don't watch Olympic. HTC was much bigger than Samsung 2 years ago.

Samsung probably got free karma/brand promotion from other Samsung products, especially the TV.

VoxPop

Most of what you listed don't apply to the US market. Americans don't watch Olympic. HTC was much bigger than Samsung 2 years ago.

Samsung probably got free karma/brand promotion from other Samsung products, especially the TV.

LOL!

NBC kicked things off with a bang on Fri., July 27 with 40.7 million people tuning in for the opening ceremony, making it the most-watched opening ceremony for a summer or winter Olympics ever. On Sat., July 28, the coverage averaged 28.7 million viewers, making its two-day primetime average 35.6 million viewers.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
It's kinda screwed up that Microsoft released Smart Glass for Android but only for certain Android phones (GS3, EVO 3D) but not for tablets. I'm tempted to just grab the apk and thrpw it on one of my tablets.

Donos

what's the difference to this thing (and other similar products) ? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BWQTOC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I understand you, i was the same (had the Desire HD with super tiny 1200mah). But now that my smartphone actually lasts over day with heavy use, i don't need replacement batteries anymore. If im going somewhere hiking or similar stuff i just take the Just Mobile with me.

GatorBait

Regarding build quality:

Out of the three smartphones I've owned, I actually thought the one that was made primarily of glass/metal was the one that was least well put together (along with actually having some quality issues). Sure, it felt heavier in the hand and pocket, but it actually didn't feel as nicely constructed as my other two phones which used plastic and rubberized plastic.

Then again, I'm not one of the types of people that immediately think plastic "feels cheap" over other materials.

The last two overseas flights I've taken had USB chargers right in each chair. However, by the second flight I had a tablet that lasted the whole flight anyway.

tino

Banned
what's the difference to this thing (and other similar products) ? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BWQTOC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I understand you, i was the same (had the Desire HD with super tiny 1200mah). But now that my smartphone actually lasts over day with heavy use, i don't need replacement batteries anymore. If im going somewhere hiking or similar stuff i just take the Just Mobile with me.

I think they put too much stress on the USB port and IMO charge very slowly. Plus I donno how to put it and the Galaxy Note in the same pocket.

Last year I went to China for a 2 week vacation. What I learn from that was that if you shop around for frugal fares and hotels. You can not expect to always get a charging option on you plane or the transit connections.

Also, I like to run the Everytrail app when I go hiking, I think its the simplest and easiest way to track my trail and blog at the same time. I just need to make sure I have enough juice.

Cipherr

It's kinda screwed up that Microsoft released Smart Glass for Android but only for certain Android phones (GS3, EVO 3D) but not for tablets. I'm tempted to just grab the apk and thrpw it on one of my tablets.

Using it now on my Galaxy Nexus just fine.

cube444

Samsung Galaxy Premier

According to @evleaks, which published the week's first Premier shot, the phone will have 1GB of RAM, a microSD slot for up to 32GB of extra storage, an LED flash and Samsung's TouchWiz user interface. It should also run Android 4.1: Jelly Bean and host Bluetooth 4.0, NFC and DLNA.
What's more, users should find a 4.65-inch HD Super AMOLED display with a resolution of 180 x 720 and an 8-megapixel camera. The processor is pegged as a 1.5GBz dual-core chip, and the Premier will likely include Wi-Fi and 16GB of internal memory. Depending on how Samsung prices the Premier, it could be one hot little number.

Galaxy%20Premier%20leak-580-75.jpg

One X looks pretty good but I don't think it feels that high quality. Not terrible though like the galaxy S3.

Apple doesn't have a patent on shit that looks and feels high quality, these companies are just too lazy to go the extra mile and offer the best possible product they can offer.

these mid tier phones really don't make any sense to me...but whatever

hyped for this tablet, await any surprises we might have coming on Monday.

lol I don't get samsung. So they're going with cheap galaxy mini, premier, and s3? What's with the different names? Random specs? They just seem confusing.

Massa

these mid tier phones really don't make any sense to me...but whatever

hyped for this tablet, await any surprises we might have coming on Monday.

They make sense in non-US markets, where consumers aren't scammed into paying an absurd amount of money on a phone.

I don't get this whole rhetoric that plastic = cheap, though I do admit thinking that way before having used any of the alternatives to the iPhone for a reasonable amount of time. I have used the iPhone 4 for 2 years now, then a Nokia N9 for 3 months and a Galaxy Note 2 for 3 weeks. All three have great build quality and none of them feel cheap. The most ergonomic one was actually the Nokia N9. I do still think that the iPhone 4/4S are some of the nicest looking phones but that does not directly equate to better quality.

I think one has to keep in mind that Apple makes a $700 phone whereas Android phones range from $100 to $700 and there will be a variation in quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom