• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Despite all of these new devices I still think I'm most hyped about a Nexus 7 price drop + Android 4.2. I'll probably end up just picking up the 16 gig Nexus 7 for $200 and hope the new version of Android is pushed to the device fast.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife

M_A_C

So a guy on another forum says he is going to get a the new 3G nexus 7 and pop in his sim card in and use it as his phone... would that actually work? Wouldn't the carrier know it's not a phone or something?

Might be a cheap way to have a pretty kickass alternative to the Note 2.

So a guy on another forum says he is going to get a the new 3G nexus 7 and pop in his sim card in and use it as his phone... would that actually work? Wouldn't the carrier know it's not a phone or something?

Might be a cheap way to have a pretty kickass alternative to the Note 2.

many Android tablets with a cellular modem do indeed have mobile phone functionality, though some have the dialer hidden. iirc, there are also a few that are data only, though one could still just use a VOIP app on them...

jobber

many Android tablets with a cellular modem do indeed have mobile phone functionality, though some have the dialer hidden. iirc, there are also a few that are data only, though one could still just use a VOIP app on them...

Yep the dialer is hidden on all tablets but it is a way to un-hide them.

i've seen rumors. oh wait, those are photos.

i think you mean HTC is the manufacturer that doesn't care about what people want, while Samsung includes removable batteries, sd card slots, etc and gets the sales from customers interested in that sort of thing. people who don't want features like that can already get a Nexus, iPhone or Lumia.
I have never seen someone use a removable battery for a phone in my entire life. I also have not seen someone use removable storage on a phone with 16 GB and up. Samsung is the premier manufacture because of oled screens,brand name and the constant comparisons with apple (they are basically a generic apple when it comes to smart phones, tablets and laptops. I feel like the note is the only thing that makes them stand out.) Galaxy s is basically the iPhone of androids. Galaxy s 4 could remove all the things you just named and as long as it has a:

1.oled screen
2.Samsung on the back
3. Available on every carrier day one
People won't really care. I like Samsung but they really need to step it up in the build quality/ design department. It is their only flaw. Not only is the galaxy s3 not all that aesthetically pleasing but it also lost to the iPhone 5 in every single drop test I have seen. Which is fucking ridiculous.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I have had a removable battery for my phone ever since I owned a Nexus One. I keep it in my wallet. I don't use it all the time. In fact, rarely. But it's liberating to know I have it. I also have a dock for my Note that charges both the phone and spare battery simultaneously.

Kiraly

nexusae0_1_thumb63.png

This must be a real picture this time.

Argyle

I have never seen someone use a removable battery for a phone in my entire life. I also have not seen someone use removable storage on a phone with 16 GB and up. Samsung is the premier manufacture because of oled screens,brand name and the constant comparisons with apple (they are basically a generic apple when it comes to smart phones, tablets and laptops. I feel like the note is the only thing that makes them stand out.) Galaxy s is basically the iPhone of androids. Galaxy s 4 could remove all the things you just named and as long as it has a:

1.oled screen
2.Samsung on the back
People won't really care. I like Samsung but they really need to step it up in the build quality/ design department. It is their only flaw. Not only is the galaxy s3 not all that aesthetically pleasing but it also lost to the iPhone 5 in every single drop test I have seen. Which is fucking ridiculous.

Like BBoy AJ, I kept a spare battery in my pocket too. I don't have one for my S3 because the battery life feels solid enough that I don't really fear running out of juice anymore, but having a spare in your pocket means you really don't worry about using your phone too much.

I also have a 32GB S3 with a 64GB microSD card in it.

What's funny is that the S2 design was much sturdier and beat the iPhone 4/S is just about every drop test I watched...

Like BBoy AJ, I kept a spare battery in my pocket too. I don't have one for my S3 because the battery life feels solid enough that I don't really fear running out of juice anymore, but having a spare in your pocket means you really don't worry about using your phone too much.
As long as you have a 2000 mAh battery and a krait cpu or A15, you shouldn't need a spare battery.
I also have a 32GB S3 with a 64GB microSD card in it.
Lol what the hell do you have on there? I consider myself a power user and I haven't passed my 16GB(11.5 GB) on my epic touch 4g(galaxy s 2) just yet. I have no problems with SD cards though. SD cards should not affect build quality/ design.

What's funny is that the S2 design was much sturdier and beat the iPhone 4/S is just about every drop test I watched...
Lol exactly. That's why I really started to dislike the s3. How the hell did you fuck that up? Aren't iPhones fragile as fuck?

jobber

Lol what the hell do you have on there? I consider myself a power user and I haven't passed my 16GB(11.5 GB) on my epic touch 4g(galaxy s 2) just yet. I have no problems with SD cards though. SD cards should not affect build quality/ design.

I have a 16 gig gs3 with a 64gb sd card and the sd card is not used by the OS at all. I believe I have just under 2 gigs free in my internal storage. The fact that the OS doesn't move apps or data to the sd card is ridiculous but it's probably due to Nexus devices not having a sd card slot.

1.oled screen
2.Samsung on the back

i remember the past few years when people argued that drop tests weren't scientific. oh, how the tides have changed.

As long as you have a 2000 mAh battery and a krait cpu or A15, you shouldn't need a spare battery.

Lol exactly. That's why I really started to dislike the s3. How the hell did you fuck that up? Aren't iPhones fragile as fuck?

640KB is enough!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I have a 16 gig gs3 with a 64gb sd card and the sd card is not used by the OS at all. I believe I have just under 2 gigs free in my internal storage. The fact that the OS doesn't move apps or data to the sd card is ridiculous but it's probably due to Nexus devices not having a sd card slot.

I've got an SD card in my Note, too, and I don't know how to use it cleanly. There is something called an emmc, which I guess is the internal memory partitioned to be the SD card. I can access the SD but it's not seamless.

Just get rid of this SD Card crap completely. My biggest Android 5.0 wish.

Do you have all apps in your internal storage or do you have other stuff.
i remember the past few years when people argued that drop tests weren't scientific. oh, how the tides have changed.

640KB is enough!

Well tbh they kinda aren't. Not everyone is going to drop their phone several times in a row on the concrete. Still can't believe iPhone won every single one I have seen though. And as far as SD cards I don't have any problem with them. SD cards probably aren't the reason for gs3 cheap feeling build quality and mediocre design.

jobber

Do you have all apps in your internal storage or do you have other stuff.

Apps. The camera saves photos to the sd card. NBA2K13 takes up nearly 2 gigs and no you can't put games or it's data on the sd card. It won't work.

I guess it's a touchwiz thing because I can move apps and data to my sd card on my tablets. I can do it on CM10 too.

I use Western Digital 2 Go to get stuff off my NAS and it always saves to the internal. I have to manually locate the wd2go folder and search for the stuff I download to move it to the SD card.

Apps. The camera saves photos to the sd card. NBA2K13 takes up nearly 2 gigs and no you can't put games or it's data on the sd card. It won't work.

I guess it's a touchwiz thing because I can move apps and data to my sd card on my tablets. I can do it on CM10 too.

I use Western Digital 2 Go to get stuff off my NAS and it always saves to the internal. I have to manually locate the wd2go folder and search for the stuff I download to move it to the SD card.

it's because of the way Samsung labels and partitions their devices since the GS3

Argyle

Honestly...it's overkill.

I have the camera save photos/videos to the SD card, and I'll probably throw some music on there.

The 64GB card is formatted as exFAT which the S3 can read natively but unfortunately because of patents things like ClockworkMod can't see the SD card, so it's nice to have extra space on the internal "SD card" when flashing ROMs and the like.

I'm also already over 16GB on the internal memory. I think I'm using around 15-16GB of the 32GB.

Dunno, maybe the iPhone 5 isn't as fragile as the 4?

reKon

Banned
I really hope there's a 32 gb version in the a few months... but by then we'll be hearing about all kinds of new things and intel will eventually just shit on everyone. I'm going to be very disappointed if they equip the Nexus with a smaller battery.

Bboy AJ

I just hope it doesn't delay their launch plans. Reschedule the event for a little later, fine, but don't push anything back.

Last year's delay helped Verizon's Galaxy Nexus launch.

There's no way it's a cheap phone. With the screen it has, the processor it's packing, and so on. It's a high end device. It'll come in at 450 at the lowest, and that's pushing it. More likely $500+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom