• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does that compare in price to other high-end phones?

Pretty good most release for £400+ inclusive or VAT so assuming that price does and most (if not all) UK prices tend to include it, if so might actually sell off the Galaxy Nexus I got 3 weeks ago, if I can get £250 for it.

already a BOMBA? price can't be real, can it?

Just to put Carphone Warehouse's prices in perspective:

Galaxy S3 PAYG - £599
Optimus 4X HD PAYG - £399
Galaxy Note 1 PAYG - £449

Really they charge what they want, so the Nexus 4's low prices would suggest Google are going to set a pretty competitive RRP as with the Nexus 7 to push it hard.

AndyD

aka andydumi
With these new phones coming out, I hope I'll be able to find a good shape used Verizon Galaxy Nexus or S3 off contract for my wife. A sub $200 Nexus seems like it would be possible.

There's no way it's a cheap phone. With the screen it has, the processor it's packing, and so on. It's a high end device. It'll come in at 450 at the lowest, and that's pushing it. More likely $500+.

The N7 is proof that the biggest cost these days in devices is flash memory. The N7 had a Tegra 3 and IPS display at launch too yet managed to squeeze in under $200. Good thing the N4 won't have to worry about that either. I can see the 8GB version of N4 being pretty cheap at launch.

The N7 is proof that the biggest cost these days in devices is flash memory. The N7 had a Tegra 3 and IPS display at launch too yet managed to squeeze in under $200. Good thing the N4 won't have to worry about that either. I can see the 8GB version of N4 being pretty cheap at launch.

lol, no. unless you're taking 64GB modules, flash memory isn't the biggest cost. it's just the biggest variable that allows companies to charge more for different models of a product.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
That seems pretty cheap. It seems like in a couple of years, these phones won't be $500 off contract on launch anymore. Thanks to Google pushing this way. Apple's plenty happy with sticking the carriers with a larger subsidized bill.

the number one reason the nex7 is as cheap as it is though is because it has no radio

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So Firefox updated again with bug and security fixes. To bad Google seems to not give a fuck because they seem to never update Chrome.

tino

Banned
According to iSuppli, the combination of display and touch screen easily cost more than twice of the memory.

http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/News/pages/Low-End-Google-Nexus-7-Carries-$157-BOM-Teardown-Reveals.aspx

A 10 inch screen would have cost more.

squicken

It seems like the value proposition, assuming the standard $200 w/ contract, of the Nexus 4 falls short of the Optimus G. It seems underwhelming

It seems like the value proposition, assuming the standard $200 w/ contract, of the Nexus 4 falls short of the Optimus G. It seems underwhelming

Nexus 4 is basically for people who require stock Android, because they are developers or they want either a pure stock experience or on using a custom ROM. If none of these conditions apply to you, it's time to start looking for another phone.

thuway

Nexus 4 is basically for people who require stock Android, because they are developers or they want either a pure stock experience or on using a custom ROM. If none of these conditions apply to you, it's time to start looking for another phone.

Also Timescape, Touchwiz are getting infinitely better. To date, the Galaxy Note 2 is the only phone that can currently do two apps at once in a single screen. That's a feature worth avoiding stock for.

Also Timescape, Touchwiz are getting infinitely better. To date, the Galaxy Note 2 is the only phone that can currently do two apps at once in a single screen. That's a feature worth avoiding stock for.

Technically not true, as anybody who uses those "over screen" apps can have a video running whilst checking e mail etc.

You need to bear in mind a few things: 1) Multitasking is limited to selected apps 2) I'd be interested to see whether updates of these apps might break compatibility with this feature (Like Gmail etc) 3) You need to have a really big screen to make it worthwhile. Perfect for the GNote and tablets, not so much on most phones.

I'm sure an advanced version of multitasking will feature in Android at some point though.

Vanillalite

So the International One X with the Tegra 3 chipset is starting to receive the Jelly Bean update. No word on the XL aka North American One X or the One S.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Have you actually used it? I've only read bad things.

Have you actually used it? I've only read bad things.

The two window feature? It is quite useful. I have watched let's play videos / videos posted in gaf threads and browsed GAF at the same time. I have used the browser with the notes app to write things down. Very smooth and you can re-size each window as desired.

Vanillalite

Stolen from the XDA Forums member taimurniaz

I'm going to post my impressions of the JB update so far. I've got an unbranded Taiwanese HOX.

When you turn your screen on the animation is really smooth. I didn't use any other screens before and I haven't checked others now as well, but the productivity lock screen now shows the current weather as well
- The pane switching animation has been altered slightly. It was sluggish at first but now it's back to being smooth, however, it's a bit slower than what it was like on sense 4.1
- The entire colour scheme has been changed to the native android blue. There's a mixture of the sense green and android blue throughout though which is nice
- The notifications pane has been updated and it is now VERY SMOOTH. There's also an option to activate the power saver mode. Various options such as battery, apps and beats audio etc have been altered.
- The gallery app has been updated featuring two different views
- There's a different animation when opening threads in messaging. This feels a bit sluggish compared to the old one. One thing I don't like is the new sense keyboard. It's great that they give you the option to remove the arrows but the layout has been altered and I'm having to relearn how to type on this
- I'm still unsure of whether battery life has improved. I can tell it hasn't worsened but still haven't done much to see if it has improved
- By far the biggest improvement is the browser. It has a cleaner interface and is much quicker. Fit to screen works brilliantly with almost all sites now! Chrome is included by default but I found no reason to switch to it, the default HTC browser is good enough.
- Voice search and Google Now are now available. I really like using Google Now, it's good at reminders and giving sports updates!
- The camera has a couple of new shooting modes
- Switching between apps is now a bit quicker BUT I do feel that opening and closing apps is a bit sluggish now
- The beats preset has been altered and it is now louder and much better

Bboy AJ

the only bad thing i've read is "it doesn't work with every app", people seem to love it and it seems to work well, unlike the implementation in the Note 10.1
Ah, I see. I'm comparing the Note 10's implementation.

thespot84

my face
Ibp57.gif

yogloo

http://slidescreenhome.com/
WijPN.jpg

Does anyone know of a launcher similar to this?
This is called slidescreen. It's pretty old. From the froyo days I think. The app was abandoned by the devs. Anything similar to this? I used the beta app long time ago and I thought it was a cool idea.

The two window feature? It is quite useful. I have watched let's play videos / videos posted in gaf threads and browsed GAF at the same time. I have used the browser with the notes app to write things down. Very smooth and you can re-size each window as desired.

The question is, are both apps actually running simultaneously? The thing about the Galaxy Note 10.1, which is where the multi-window feature debuted, when you are working in one app window, the other window 'freezes' the app, because that's what Android does to apps which are backgrounded and which don't otherwise demand resources for things like background syncing. In all multitasking desktop OSes, even when you move from one window to another, all apps are always running and this is the paradigm that users of multitasking are accustomed too.

Hopefully Samsung and the carriers are quick to get multiwindow to US Note 2.

Someone was able to get an early Verizon Note II and dumped the stock ROM using Odin. According to people who have poked around in it, the multiwindow.jar and associated files are inside. So it's possible the Verizon Note II will ship with the multi-window update, a consolation prize for being a month late.

The question is, are both apps actually running simultaneously? The thing about the Galaxy Note 10.1, which is where the multi-window feature debuted, when you are working in one app window, the other window 'freezes' the app, because that's what Android does to apps which are backgrounded and which don't otherwise demand resources for things like background syncing. In all multitasking desktop OSes, even when you move from one window to another, all apps are always running and this is the paradigm that users of multitasking are accustomed too.

I have received chat messages on my talk app when it was in split screen (I was on Chrome on the other half). Youtube videos continue running when you are using the browser. Haven't tried navigation and something else at the same time yet. I'll try that tomorrow.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Someone was able to get an early Verizon Note II and dumped the stock ROM using Odin. According to people who have poked around in it, the multiwindow.jar and associated files are inside. So it's possible the Verizon Note II will ship with the multi-window update, a consolation prize for being a month late.

As long as devs are able to add it to stock based roms I will be happy.

Are there any stock based roms that change the look of the quick toggles in the notification shade? I am too used to cm style toggles to deal with the horrible way TW does it.

Vanillalite

Now to get a Nexus 7 or not, and if I do to get the 16 or the new 32 gig version. Also if I decide to get one I have to figure out how to get a non defective unit, and I'd like to know that Android 4.2 will be coming soon to the device. Also worried that as soon as I buy this thing a better version of the 7" will hit.

What to do what to do...

3phemeral

Looks like AOKP finally hit their JB Milestone 1:

With the news of Android 4.2 on the horizon, we at Team Kang felt you, the end-user, deserved to see a Milestone build. With a massive surge of effort and contributions, we have one for you now, and hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

The wait for 4.2 begins now. We won't release any new builds until it gets pushed to AOSP and merged into our source. Don't worry though; we are already working on some awesome new features, you may have seen some teasers on Twitter/G+ already!

This time we definitely focused on fixes, we managed to close each bug report received on Rootz and Twitter in the last few weeks.

But AOKP isn't AOKP without new features, right?
Adjustable NavBar width for Tablets
Allow "Vibrate on Touch" behavior for Slide unlock
Toggles can be hidden like in ICS - long press on the Settings button!
Clickable (short & long configurable) Clock and Calendar in the Notification Slider
Further notes:
Evita (AT&T HTC One X / XL) is back!
Tunas (Galaxy Nexus phones) ship with a different kernel (LeanKernel 4.5.0), you might need to reset your Color/CPU settings in ROMControl. Do it if you encounter any weird colors (usually green) on your screen.
Grouper (Nexus 7) includes the stock kernel from Google
Happy flashing!

The following devices are supported thus far:

Release Date: 28 Oct 2012
maguro Galaxy Nexus (GSM)
toro Verizon Galaxy Nexus (LTE)
toroplus Sprint Galaxy Nexus
crespo Nexus S
crespo4g Nexus S 4G
grouper Nexus 7
d2vzw Verizon Galaxy S3

Status