• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Yeah it sucks the Google Even was canceled, but I'm way more worried about North Eastern US people being safe during this!

catmincer

Stolen from the XDA Forums member taimurniaz

I'm going to post my impressions of the JB update so far. I've got an unbranded Taiwanese HOX.

When you turn your screen on the animation is really smooth. I didn't use any other screens before and I haven't checked others now as well, but the productivity lock screen now shows the current weather as well
- The pane switching animation has been altered slightly. It was sluggish at first but now it's back to being smooth, however, it's a bit slower than what it was like on sense 4.1
- The entire colour scheme has been changed to the native android blue. There's a mixture of the sense green and android blue throughout though which is nice
- The notifications pane has been updated and it is now VERY SMOOTH. There's also an option to activate the power saver mode. Various options such as battery, apps and beats audio etc have been altered.
- The gallery app has been updated featuring two different views
- There's a different animation when opening threads in messaging. This feels a bit sluggish compared to the old one. One thing I don't like is the new sense keyboard. It's great that they give you the option to remove the arrows but the layout has been altered and I'm having to relearn how to type on this
- I'm still unsure of whether battery life has improved. I can tell it hasn't worsened but still haven't done much to see if it has improved
- By far the biggest improvement is the browser. It has a cleaner interface and is much quicker. Fit to screen works brilliantly with almost all sites now! Chrome is included by default but I found no reason to switch to it, the default HTC browser is good enough.
- Voice search and Google Now are now available. I really like using Google Now, it's good at reminders and giving sports updates!
- The camera has a couple of new shooting modes
- Switching between apps is now a bit quicker BUT I do feel that opening and closing apps is a bit sluggish now
- The beats preset has been altered and it is now louder and much better

FUUUUUU I wish I got a One X now :( instead of an Xperia S.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Looks like AOKP finally hit their JB Milestone 1:

The following devices are supported thus far:

Release Date: 28 Oct 2012
maguro Galaxy Nexus (GSM)
toro Verizon Galaxy Nexus (LTE)
toroplus Sprint Galaxy Nexus
crespo Nexus S
crespo4g Nexus S 4G
grouper Nexus 7
d2vzw Verizon Galaxy S3
Of course this happens mere days after I flash from an ICS build.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Well I didn't mean to go on and fully copy Apple like Samsung did but create something new and fresh. Like this one I posted earlier

htc-new-eden-478x454.jpg

Ugly as hell compared to my One X.

Which is why your whole point is kind of screwed up.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Does the one x have wireless n? it seems to only have G and the box doesn't say anything.

A bit off topic but do any of you recommend a good long range N router? My signal doesn't reach the backyard when i'm there. Had to up my data plan (smh att) since I was using the phone so much.

Lemonte

hehe I was fast enough to see that video. Phone looks super sexy when screen is not on. Makes decision of which phone I'll buy next million times harder.. Lumia920, Note2 or Nexus4 :(

Doopliss

Is there a brightness slider on the 4.2 quick settings? A button to cycle through three brightness settings (as you get on the homescreen power widget) is no good.

HawkeyeIC

Known this for a while, but the headphone jack on top really sucks. Phone looks kind of think as well, do we have actual dimensions or comparisons?

Doopliss

Nevermind, engadget saved the video of the nexus 4: http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/29/nexus-4-leaked-on-video/

damn the phone looks really slick
Got scared for a second when I saw the brightness button. But it opens an overlay panel with a slider. Makes more sense than just having a slider in the quick settings, actually, because you can see the current app as you adjust.

The quick settings look pretty ugly, though. The Android team should hire a designer, or something.

Cipherr

Hooray for the quick settings from the notification shade. A very welcome change, and I can get rid of the widget I currently use for quick access to them on my GNex.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
That video does show how much work Chrome still needs to be as smooth as something like Safari on iOS.

Come on google update dat shit.

I switched to Firefox because Mozilla seems to actually give a dang, and they update the mobile version same day as the desktop. I don't know wtf the chrome team is doing mobile wise.

gutshot

It's official.

Google's has officially announced the Nexus 4, the latest phone in its Nexus line of flagship Android devices. Built by LG, the phone features a 4.7-inch 1280 x 768 IPS display, a 1.5GHz quad-core Snapdragon S4 Pro processor — which Google claims is the fastest on the market — an 8 megapixel camera and a 1.3 megapixel front-facing camera, and up to 16GB of storage. Oh, and the back is made of glass — etched, layered glass that sparkles with a strange, almost holographic depth.

Not much of that should be surprising, as the phone had been thoroughly leaked around the web in the past few weeks. What is surprising is how much better it all looks in person. Compared to the LG Optimus G, which shares many of the same components, it's no contest - the Nexus 4 is a far nicer piece of hardware. It feels weighty and high-end, and the tight construction combined with the soft-touch plastic on the sides and chrome edging give it a solidly executive vibe - a vibe that's balanced nicely by the playfulness of Disco City on the back.

The device will sell for $299 with 8GB of storage, or $349 with 16GB. A T-Mobile version will sell unlocked for $199 on a two-year contract. Alongside the improved screen and faster CPU, the Nexus 4 has 2GB of RAM, Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n, NFC, Bluetooth, and built-in compatibility with Google's latest accessory, the Wireless Charging Orb - an inductive dock. The phone also houses a sizable 2100 mAh battery, which the company claims will get you about 10 hours of talk time.

All that battery life would be great if the device was sporting LTE radios - but it is not. Google has decided to forgo stricter carrier partnerships in the US, which for now means that the company will only offer the device as an unlocked HSPA+ phone. That's a bit of a crushing blow to many, who expected Google's next flagship phone to go toe-to-toe with the iPhone 5 and the latest crop of Windows Phone devices.

More at the source.

buhdeh

$299 is INSANE...but no LTE.... I don't really NEED LTE but it sure would be nice to have... especially after having it on my S3

Blackhead

Redarse
It's official.

Oh, and the back is made of glass — etched, layered glass that sparkles with a strange, almost holographic depth.

More at the source.

Lol, all those armchair critics screaming "UGLY" "SHITTY PLASTIC" because of blurry cam shots seen over the intertubes will have to eat their words.
Reminds you of the iPhone 4 reaction don't it? Cue more 'Google can't stop copying Apple' :p

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Google Play improvements, copying Apple's approach which makes sense:

On November 13, we're bringing music on Google Play to Europe. Those of you in the U.K, France, Germany, Italy and Spain will be able to purchase music from the Google Play store and add up to 20,000 songs—for free—from your existing collection to the cloud for streaming to your Android devices or web browser. We’re also launching our new matching feature to streamline the process of uploading your personal music to Google Play. We’ll scan your music collection and any song we match against the Google Play catalog will be automatically added to your online library without needing to upload it, saving you time. This will be available in Europe at launch on November 13 and is coming to the U.S. soon after. This will all be for free—free storage of your music, free matching, free syncing across your devices and free listening.

That is one delicious looking phone.
I've always wanted a pure black phone with no branding on the front.
If only it had 32gb storage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom