• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Futureman

Are there any streaming solutions like Roku that support Miracast right now? Probably the best feature iOS has over Android right now IMO.

Yes, if this phone had 32gbs and LTE it would be a slam-dunk. As of now it's a tossup between this, the iPhone 5, and the Note 2.
for me no LTE eliminates it. I don't even care about storage. Running out of options here, didn't want to get the iphone a second time in a row but man do I hate all my currently available options.

Maybe I'll save my upgrade, meh. Probably not :p

Futureman

I seriously think I could use my GNex LTE for 3 years or so if it takes them that long to get an LTE Nexus back in the USA (as in the Nexus 6). My Droid X lasted me 2 years and the GNex is smoother and faster than ever with JB.

I seriously think I could use my GNex LTE for 3 years or so if it takes them that long to get an LTE Nexus back in the USA (as in the Nexus 6). My Droid X lasted me 2 years and the GNex is smoother and faster than ever with JB.
I'm spoiled though. My cell plan comes with yearly upgrades so for me it's not about upgrade dates/re-signing. I can get the nexus next year if it comes with lte if I choose to go with iphone 5 now.

Dilemmas dilemmas. 1st world dilemmas. Still got a month to decide though.

I had some hope there would be a Verizon version but that was probably just wishful thinking.

Would it be a good idea to get the Galaxy Nexus even though its a year old?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Holy fucking shit. All this news is amazing.

It's so cheap. $350? That's incredible. I mean, this is game changing. It shows Google is looking to bring down the ever ridiculous price of phones. I would actually be able to buy a phone every year like it's no big deal instead of having a whole freaking circus surrounding the upgrade.

4.2 offers some welcome improvements. Fuck you, Swype! Good riddance to something I loved to hate. I hope Google took out a bunch of kinks with Swype, like how it degraded over time.

Who wants to buy my Note 1?

Can't wait to see some in-depth reviews just to see how much of a difference stock android has made on the hardware.

Still can't get over that price, absolutely insane. I thought £399 for the 16gb would've been a decent price given the specs but £279.... unbelievable.

Doopliss

I wish there was a Nexus phablet to replace both my GS2 and Touchpad. But £239/£279 for the Nexus 4 is crazy-cheap, I don't think I can resist a bargain like that.

how long does it usually take android to get open sourced? will 4.2 hit the day the nexus 4 releases or even sooner?
I think for 4.0 and 4.1 the code was out a few days before the new devices.

I had some hope there would be a Verizon version but that was probably just wishful thinking.

Would it be a good idea to get the Galaxy Nexus even though its a year old?
I think it will more than hold you over for 2 years until a Nexus LTE model comes out and Verizon moves to VoLTE.

I've been so spoiled by 4G that I can't imagine going back. I do too much browsing on my phone. Most WiFi doesn't even match up.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Holy crap, I didn't realize the updates to Google Now were coming out today. Just updated on my GNex to add support for cards from Gmail.

Just noticed that Google Search and Maps have updates available in the Play Store. Google Search permissions have changed to allow access to NFC. Oooooh!

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
If I sell my GN, it might only cost me 100-150 to upgrade to the new phone. That's incredible.

ScOULaris

So what are the implications of this phone lacking an LTE radio? If I'm on AT&T in the US, could I just switch over my current 3G SIM card and start taking advantage of 4G speeds via the HSPA+ radio? Is HSPA+ noticeably slower than LTE with regard to data speeds?

rc213

Damn... Damn... Dammmmmmmmn...

Tough choice here, Stay with Galaxy S3 or get a Nexus 4. I was already going to drop $350 on a Galaxy Nexus for my sister, Now I can take advantage.

2 downfalls, No SD Card and No Removable Battery. But pure Android Goodness!

What to do, What to do!

ScOULaris

So it looks like the Galaxy Nexus was immediately taken down from the Play Store as soon as the Nexus 4 went up. That's how it's gonna be? I was hoping that they'd sell the Galaxy Nexus at as discounted price after the launch of the new Nexus phone.

Why not at least HSPA+42? :(

You know, I found something interesting. On the Google Play Store, they list it as HSPA +21, but on the press release given to the media, it's listed as HSPA +42. Hopefully the info on the Play Store is wrong (maybe a mix-up from the Galaxy Nexus' specs), and the device is HSPA +42.

69d4t.jpg

Cudder

Sexy phone, kind of a minimal upgrade over the Galaxy Nexus though especially because GN will get 4.2 as well. I think I'll keep my GN for another year.

Also, will the phone come with a wireless charging pad, or will we have to buy that separately?

Divvy

Sexy phone, kind of a minimal upgrade over the Galaxy Nexus though especially because GN will get 4.2 as well. I think I'll keep my GN for another year.

Also, will the phone come with a wireless charging pad, or will we have to buy that separately?

You will most definitely have to buy that separately.

Cudder

Actually the phone looks to be kind of a big upgrade over the Galaxy Nexus.

Quad core instead of dual core.
2GB RAM instead of 1.
Gorilla Glass
2,100mah battery.
Wireless charging.
Slightly bigger screen, but shorter height.

Looks pretty damn good to me, actually.

Google look what you've done to me. Because of this LTE disappointment you have me considering windows phone. Only because I want to say I've owned all 3 operating systems for at least a year.

But still. YOU DID THIS. YOU DID THIS TO US.

/rick grimes

Divvy

The only feature I wish they'd put in so I'd never really need to root my phone anymore is the ability to have a separate wallpaper for the lockscreen.

One thing I'm not a fan of; The glass back. Its one thing I hate about the iPhone, put it down on any surface and it just slips right of. I wonder if there have been some changes to make it a bit more 'frictiony'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom