• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
I figure out why google is skiping LTE on the Nexus 4. Google is basically giving the fingers to the two major carriers.

Given the N4 is so cheap, you can easily contract LG to do a ecial edition of N4 and sell it to Verizon/ATT for 100 more, i.e. $450 and the carriers can still easily sell it for $200 with a contract.

TMobile is going to sell the N4 for $199 on contract, they are going to make mad money with this price.

Google has been pushing a prepaid (european model) wireless market, but in N.A, google is not powerful in the wireless market to make a difference.

tino

Banned
Google look what you've done to me. Because of this LTE disappointment you have me considering windows phone. Only because I want to say I've owned all 3 operating systems for at least a year.

But still. YOU DID THIS. YOU DID THIS TO US.

/rick grimes

The amount of "Nexus 4" posts you have made in this thread, you can easily use that energy to buy a Droid DNA and flash a CM rom on it.

What's so special about Nexus 4 anyway? Its a rush job like the Nexus S.

Maybe you should reconsider your pgrade cycle to align with Android's major upgrade cycle. I bet the next Nexus phone will come with a major X.0 version number.

I don't want this DNA crap. 5 inches is too big for me, the phone looks huge.

Also like I said, my upgrades are every year, so even if I go with someone else I can still get the next nexus phone next year at this same time. The nexus 4 has the most appealing hardware to me. The optimus G is too boxy and the S3...yeah not my thing.

Who knows though. November 30th. That's when I decide what to do. Looking at all options.

tino

Banned
There is nothing special about the Nexus 4. The best thing about the N4 is the bang for the money ratio. Wasting a renewal on it instead of using it on prepaid would be like.... taking the discount money google give to you and hand it right back to the carrier.

Cipherr

damn. are they attempting to make shazam obsolete?

Ive been using the Google Music ID thing for a while now. It was a widget in my Galaxy Nexus. I just found it randomly while scrolling through widgets like a month or so back. I haven't compared to Shazam or Soundhound thoroughly though. But it does work.

Zeppu

I found this interesting

yCuVi.png

Built in timer and stopwatch. Voice search will now probably stop adding alarms for every reminder and use a timer.

VoxPop

Still the same crappy LG manufactured product and no LTE is a bummer but you can't really complain with that amazing $350 unlocked price. Hope other companies follow suit.

Pctx

Banned
Google Play improvements, copying Apple's approach which makes sense:

You mean Apple copying Amazon, copying Google copying everyone else?

As for the N4, I still don't get why LG. I just don't find myself wanting to buy an LG product which is probably why Google did this in an effort to help the brand. Having been on LTE in Portland for a few months, I don't mind HSPA+ speeds which are generally around 14-16 MB/s compared to LTE which is around 35-40MB/s which is fast enough for me. Having this billed as a world phone and having as much compatibility as possible for all of the GSM carriers makes sense to not include LTE bands.

JBuccCP

These new nexuseses look really good, and 4.2 looks to continue pulling away from ios. If they didn't skimp on the camera on the 4 that may be my next phone.

falastini

The Nexus 4 looks a lot better in videos than those concept shots. Great price-point and everything, but I don't think I can buy a non-LTE phone at this point.

I guess I'll see how the One X+ turns out.

GatorBait

Damn...with that lower price point I may consider selling my Galaxy Nexus and pick one of these up (barring positive reviews). Anyone have any recommendations for best places to sell a GNexus?

JoeFu

Banned
dhfasgj;alskjfl;askjg;laksjga;lksgjas;ljfkas

I really want the N4 after watching that one Verge video. It looks so sexy and teh spekz, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with my GN...

Nicktendo86

One thing I'm not a fan of; The glass back. Its one thing I hate about the iPhone, put it down on any surface and it just slips right of. I wonder if there have been some changes to make it a bit more 'frictiony'.
Yes, in the verge video they mention the edge of the phone was raise specifically to protect the back.

The nexus 4 looks fucking amazing, I was sure my next phone would be lte but the way ee have set their prices for 4gee I want to say f u to lte.

GatorBait

Can someone please tell Google that college sports are kind of a big deal in the U.S., and it would be nice to be able to set up Google Now cards for my school's teams.

Google look what you've done to me. Because of this LTE disappointment you have me considering windows phone. Only because I want to say I've owned all 3 operating systems for at least a year.

But still. YOU DID THIS. YOU DID THIS TO US.

/rick grimes

Samsung ATIV!

Cannot WAIT for 4.2 to get on aosp, the cm10 boys included 4.1.2 in a flash

srsly, i was on 4.1.2 within DAYS!!! DAYS!!!

we're probably going to have to wait until after the Nexus 4 and Nexus 10 are released for the AOSP push...

F#A#Oo

Banned
I'm in the UK and LTE is a rip. So Nexus 4 with no LTE is fine. It will take at least 2-3 years for the UK market to get competitive on 4G. Shame really

jokkir

Has 4.2 been confirmed for Nexus S yet? Also, looks like a nice phone. Cheap and decent specs, I think. I don't really care about LTE since my carrier (Wind Mobile) doesn't even have LTE

Samsung ATIV!

srsly, i was on 4.1.2 within DAYS!!! DAYS!!!

we're probably going to have to wait until after the Nexus 4 and Nexus 10 are released for the AOSP push...
the ativ honestly looks horrible to me. Brushed metal look aint right.

I really was only interested in the htc and lumia. Lumia 920 is exclusive for a carrier I am not with, so that's off the list, and pretty much all reviews say the htc 8x has some shitty battery life.

So I'm either back to iphone 5 for a year or grab whatever the best android phone available on my carrier in a month. Will decide later.

Still the same crappy LG manufactured product and no LTE is a bummer but you can't really complain with that amazing $350 unlocked price. Hope other companies follow suit.

Same crappy LG manufactured product? How do you know it is crappy until you have used it??? Buzz on the LG Optimus G phones hardware wise has been good. Honestly folks at least wait for a proper hands on/review before leaping to conclusions. Y'know up until a few years ago Samsung were nowhere. Everybody has to start somewhere.

Can someone please tell Google that college sports are kind of a big deal in the U.S., and it would be nice to be able to set up Google Now cards for my school's teams.

This is a pain in the ass. I have all my teams in Google Now except my college teams so I have to use the ESPN College Football app just for those.

/firstworldproblems

ok so this whole Nexus thing is awesome, I can get over the LTE, frankly, don't get that much of a speed increase for some reason anyway...

the only thing I hate is the storage space...don't understand why google keeps doing that, they obviously moved the size up on the Nexus 7, why go 8 & 16 on the 4? It just doesn't make any sense.

I need your help Android GAF. Help me embrace the cloud... i'll worry about data at a later date. What's the most efficient way to use the cloud? I have gmail, google drive, google music, my contacts are stored on google's servers....

at this point i'm only worried about storage for videos (that I rip myself from blu-rays or dvd's, not movies I have to buy on the play store)

and also storage for games and apps!! if i buy a lot of games and apps, but only have 16gb of storage, what then google? I keep running out of space on my Nexus 7 16gb and my One X 16gb (neither of those really has 16gb, more like 10 w/ 2gb also saved for apps (which is not nearly enough, now that all the better games have added downloads after you start them up)

how do i store my videos games and apps??? help me out here.

Ugh no MicroSD support on the Nexus 10? Samsung are usually really good on putting that into their devices. Wonder if google pressured them to take it out? Either way it sucks :(

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Galaxy Nexus or Nexus 4?

I am stuck guys :(

No reason not to get the Nexus 4 with it being so cheap comparitively speaking for an unlocked phone. It's one thing if you wanted the Note II because it's a phablet or the SG3 or One X because it has LTE.

Yet between those two choices it's clear. Nexus 4 no contest.

Hieberrr

I guess so. Right now, my main concern is price (which I would, ideally, like to keep < $350 after taxes; the lower the better).

Nif

Galaxy Nexus or Nexus 4?

Unlocked? I can't think of a reason to get GNex over N4 now that we know the price, unless you really want super amoled or are talking about the Verizon LTE Gnex. I'd wait to hear about screen quality on the N4 (which from all reports sounds great).

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Unlocked? I can't think of a reason to get GNex over N4 now that we know the price, unless you really want super amoled or are talking about the Verizon LTE Gnex. I'd wait to hear about screen quality on the N4 (which from all reports sounds great).

It's not pentile. That means it's already a big win over the GNex.

M_A_C

So after thinking some more about it, I think the thing bugging me even more than no LTE is the 16gb only option. I've had 16gb on my iphone 4 for 2 years now and it's a constant struggle deleting games and apps for new ones. A lot of games are close to a gig now.

the ativ honestly looks horrible to me. Brushed metal look aint right.

I really was only interested in the htc and lumia. Lumia 920 is exclusive for a carrier I am not with, so that's off the list, and pretty much all reviews say the htc 8x has some shitty battery life.

So I'm either back to iphone 5 for a year or grab whatever the best android phone available on my carrier in a month. Will decide later.

ATIV!!!

Ugh no MicroSD support on the Nexus 10? Samsung are usually really good on putting that into their devices. Wonder if google pressured them to take it out? Either way it sucks :(
100% Google decision

So after thinking some more about it, I think the thing bugging me even more than no LTE is the 16gb only option. I've had 16gb on my iphone 4 for 2 years now and it's a constant struggle deleting games and apps for new ones. A lot of games are close to a gig now.

(joke about Android has no games here)

but seriously, 16GB may just not be enough for you...

Galaxy Nexus or Nexus 4?

new phone...

or discontinued phone...

tough choice...

no.

Nexus 4

thespot84

i'm sad that the new nexus doesn't have LTE and i'm sad that those with LTE now don't see enough of a boost from LTE to care. I'm in a primary verizon LTE market with LTE and I get 25MBPS at home aht 50MBPS at the office. this is a huge hit :( Looks like it's gnex for life...

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Only thing I hate about the HTC one x is that I can't use my old sd micro card. Had so much music on it :*(

---had to up my data plan to 4gb >_>

oh well Metro Atlanta has a lot of att hotspots

Toki767

Two finger swipe down for notification quick settings? Did they learn nothing from the two finger swipe to expand notifications?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom