• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkkn

Two finger swipe down for notification quick settings? Did they learn nothing from the two finger swipe to expand notifications?

Two finger swipe is a secondary method for advanced users. There is a button for opening the quick settings in the regular notification menu, right next to 'close all notifications'-button.

JordanKZ

Is that Google Music Shazam thing part of the OS, or will it be coming to us 4.1 users via an update to the Google Music app?

It's actually just part of the Play Store APK, it's just hidden for most users right now. When music becomes available on the market, the widget should become active.

thuway

I really hope Google implements the "Dual application" mode that the Galaxy Note 2 has in its stock firmware. It's the only thing that would keep me on Touchwiz.

gimmmick

Guess I'll be sticking with my galaxy nexus still Aug (when I get my upgrade). No verizon, no buy. Wasn't the whole point of going with s4 was because it works well with LTE?

DXPett1

My wallet...

Put up my Nexus 7 8GB on eBay and purchased a Nexus 7 32GB. Price dip too hard to refuse especially when it means I can install those large games and not have to shuffle them.

Once the Nexus 4 16GB is available I will be jumping on that and putting my Galaxy Nexus on eBay too

My wallet...

Put up my Nexus 7 8GB on eBay and purchased a Nexus 7 32GB. Price dip too hard to refuse especially when it means I can install those large games and not have to shuffle them.

Once the Nexus 4 16GB is available I will be jumping on that and putting my Galaxy Nexus on eBay too

this sounds like a good idea...

though if I sell my 16gb nexus 7, i'll probably get a Nexus 10... :D

Also...wondering if I should sell my one x and get the N4, only thing stopping me is that 16 gb, maybe they will upgrade to 32gb later? on 2nd thought, maybe i'll wait.

onken

Bah, smartphones are so damn big these days. What's cool in the Android world these days around the size of an iphone4? I saw that S3 mini preview but it seems very budget and no LTE = no buy.

Futureman

Bah, smartphones are so damn big these days. What's cool in the Android world these days around the size of an iphone4? I saw that S3 mini preview but it seems very budget and no LTE = no buy.

Moto Razr M. I believe it's 4.3". If you are in the USA probably your best bet right now.

Massa

In addition to Futureman's suggestion check out the Xperia V. The reason I like Sony phones is that they make it very easy to use a custom Android build and get something very close to AOSP, if you care about that sort of thing.

onken

Moto Razr M. I believe it's 4.3". If you are in the USA probably your best bet right now.

Looks great but locked to a shitty carrier here :(

In addition to Futureman's suggestion check out the Xperia V. The reason I like Sony phones is that they make it very easy to use a custom Android build and get something very close to AOSP, if you care about that sort of thing.

Teeny bit bigger but looks really nice. Thanks, will check it out.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

HTC One S is the smaller phone in the one lineup compared to the One X. It's still 4.3" though which is hardly iPhone 4 size. There is another HTC phone that's sub 4", but it's more of a budget phone.

Ocho

Anyone know if the Nexus 4 will only be available to buy on T-Mobile (with contract) or the Google Play store? Some friends want to buy it in a brick 'n mortar store.

Blackhead

Redarse

Xperia SX (3.7" 300ppi display, LTE, microsd slot, ICS etc) if you can lay your hands on it:
if8pLo6hXCHKV.jpg

yogloo

I have a question regarding bluetooth keyboard on android phones. Is it worth it?

Last night I found my old apple wireless keyboard, so I thought I would try it on my phone. Somehow I can't get it to pair with my phone. Everytime I click on pair, it wouldn't give me the option of entering pairing pin on the phone. Yet if I input 0000 or whatever number on the keyboard, in split second, the phone shows me the correct pin and then immediately proceeds to tell me I entered an incorrect passkey.
i don't get this at all. Am I doing something wrong?
My phone is galaxy note with rooted ICS. The wireless keyboard the original 2003 keyboard.

gutshot

Does any one know how to get Google Now to recognize when and where I have a meeting and to give me directions and a travel time to the location? I get the card showing an appointment, but not the directions.

Futureman

Google Now keeps popping up cards for me that say "Do you want to keep this card for: NEW LOCATION"

and there's the map but I can't even tell what the location is? Kinda dumb.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Does any one know how to get Google Now to recognize when and where I have a meeting and to give me directions and a travel time to the location? I get the card showing an appointment, but not the directions.

I think you need to have the address information in the "where" part of the Google Calendar event.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Google Now keeps popping up cards for me that say "Do you want to keep this card for: NEW LOCATION"

and there's the map but I can't even tell what the location is? Kinda dumb.

Yeah. I hate that. It's confusing.

Ragus

Banned
Hi. Tomorrow I'm picking up my new phone - Xperia T. I'm very excited. However, I'm not sure how transfer contacts from my iPhone to Xperia. What is the best way to synchronize my contacts (since transfering them to SIM card is not an option)?

Donos

Hey, not all of us are clamoring for smaller phones. I'm happy going from my old 4" phone to my new 4.7" size!

My girlfriend first wanted a smaller phone. But now she is happy with One X and also considered the S3. You get used to it pretty fast and it's just great for reading ebooks. My gf and me read alot of ebooks on the phone. Even in bed. Never going back to smaller than 4"3.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You can download the new 4.2 keyboard with gesture typing here. I just used it and it works great, even though it seems to be an early build.

Sweet, thanks! Now to see if this will install.

Sweet it does. Now only if I could quickly use punctuation.

buhdeh

Hmm so the Nexus 4 DOES support HSPA+. It's no LTE...but it aint bad....

Back into dilemma mode.

DC-HSPA+ (42mbps).

Only Bell and Telus have it though. Still far way from LTE. On Rogers I get about an average of 90ms ping on LTE and ~15Mbps down (maxes out around 50Mbps in random spots) whereas HSPA+ will give me about 5Mbps down and nearly 200ms ping. The response times make a noticeable difference IMO. Still not sure if I should give up LTE but I'm pretty much forced to charge twice a day with it on...

Also, it seems like you can't stream YouTube HD over HSPA+ so that's another thing I'll lose.

I am on Bell. And yeah it is far from LTE. My mom gets GREAT speeds on her iphone 5 with LTE. But in Toronto I think you can easily get 10+ down and 5+ up with HSPA+.

I say dilemma mode now, but in the end I'll cave to LTE, it's just such a must these days, especially in Canada where it's everywhere already. I COULD get the Optimus G, but man that form factor is iffy. Also it's probably going to be a chore and a half to get stock android on it. It would solve a lot of my problems though.

I wonder how long it'll be before people can get stock on the G without breaking anything. It doesn't even have jelly bean :/

I am on Bell. And yeah it is far from LTE. My mom gets GREAT speeds on her iphone 5 with LTE. But in Toronto I think you can easily get 10+ down and 5+ up with HSPA+.

I say dilemma mode now, but in the end I'll cave to LTE, it's just such a must these days, especially in Canada where it's everywhere already. I COULD get the Optimus G, but man that form factor is iffy. Also it's probably going to be a chore and a half to get stock android on it. It would solve a lot of my problems though.

I wonder how long it'll be before people can get stock on the G without breaking anything. It doesn't even have jelly bean :/

embrace the xda-dev community... embrace it. and think about lube and wetness while you do it.

oh and take my monies google, i'm ready

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/10/30/samsung-korea-hints-at-the-existence-of-a-64gb-nexus-10/

see it's this kinda business (along with the N7 fiasco) that makes me think eventually they will throw 32GB onto the Nexus 4. Only then will it be mine...unless I get 1080p fever. then i'll just have to wait for the Nexus 5 by HTC with Google tm

how do you guys live in the cloud?

Do you not watch movies? Do you not play with a lot of apps on your phone?

i swear them coming out with a 64gb Nexus 10 signifies one thing to me:

they only came out with an 8gb nexus 4 as a loss leader (and the 8gb Nexus 7)...

but this is getting downright ridiculous now though...

it's why they don't have 8 gb in the nexus 10, they know that's not cool.

they are probably just willing to bet that people don't like to have a lot of video on their phone....but what about the apps...they forgot that apps take up space and that 16gb is not even really 16gb. i wish i could talk to these people and shake them. this 16gb shit is driving me nuts

they only came out with an 8gb nexus 4 as a loss leader (and the 8gb Nexus 7)...

they are probably just willing to bet that people don't like to have a lot of video on their phone....but what about the apps...they forgot that apps take up space and that 16gb is not even really 16gb. i wish i could talk to these people and shake them. this 16gb shit is driving me nuts

all i know is until we get a connection fast enough for me to record HD video at 20mbps straight to the cloud, it's not fast enough. gimme space.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

I have a decent amount of apps, but I guess the apps I have aren't large games or anything so space isn't a huge concern. Then I just pull down the music for the moment, and every couple of months I'll delete albums I'm just not listening to that I have saved for offline use.

That being said I had an 8 gig device before this, and I'll fully admit I ran out of space. That being said the jump to 16 gigs has been more than enough for me. I have a bunch of regular apps and roughly 10-12 games + some saved music. Throw in my pics, and I'm still under the 16 gig cap even if I'm over the 8 gig cap.

PS: I just stream movies with the Netflix app.

I don't store much on my phone. Music I use my ipod. I watch movies and stuff on my tablet. My phone is mostly for pics/email/browsing the web/texting/occasional gaming if there's something good.

My iphone has a lot of apps but honestly I can easily get rid of 3/4 of them right now and mark em as things I rarely use or won't ever use again. I could get the 8gb nexus 4 and be perfectly fine. I got the 8gb nexus 7 and never thought about space since I've had it.

tino

Banned
I watch alot of BBC documentaries. Usually I watch 60-80% at home and the rest on my phone in subway. If its a 720p show then loading a series on the phone would take 5-10 gig.

I don't even store music on phone any more. Maybe a few audiobooks thats it.

buhdeh

Had my 16gb Nexus 7 for 2 months - 1.3gb used.

Have a 16gb S3 with a 32gb microSD I had lying around. 4.5gb used (1.5gb are roms and cwm backups)

Cloud + 6gb LTE ftw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom