• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Massa

Had my 16gb Nexus 7 for 2 months - 1.3gb used.

Have a 16gb S3 with a 32gb microSD I had lying around. 4.5gb used (1.5gb are roms and cwm backups)

Cloud + 6gb LTE ftw

Right now I have a 2GB SD card on my phone, I don't use much storage either. It's a shame that the people who do can't have the choice though, even if they had to charge $500 for a 64Gb Nexus 4.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I installed the update for Google Search on my iPad today and Google Instant is like a shit ton faster than Google Now. I'm actually salty about that. I don't know why but if I ask Google Instant the same question I ask on Google Now, Google Instant has the results before Google Now finishes analyzing my question.

jeeez it has Chrome built in. Why can't we get nice things like this? The voice translation is instant.

So I'm down to deciding between the HTC 8X and Nexus 4 phone. I'm thinking of getting the Nexus 7 as well. I do have a few questions that will help me resolve this decision. Hoping someone here can answer it.

Is Android 4.0+ compatible with Office 365? This is really important for my work stuff. I would basically need to have my Outlook Email/Calendar and my personal Gmail/Calendar to be separate, but both accessible.

Is there a Navigation App that works offline for Android?

thespot84

So I'm down to deciding between the HTC 8X and Nexus 4 phone. I'm thinking of getting the Nexus 7 as well. I do have a few questions that will help me resolve this decision. Hoping someone here can answer it.

Is Android 4.0+ compatible with Office 365? This is really important for my work stuff. I would basically need to have my Outlook Email/Calendar and my personal Gmail/Calendar to be separate, but both accessible.

outlook email/calendra can be handled by touchdown, which afaik is still the best integration with exchange on any platform outside of winmo

Polari

The stock mail and calendar apps both support Exchange natively, so no problems there. You can then use GMail and Google Calendar for your personal accounts.

For offline navigation there's a bunch of different options, both free and paid. TomTom and Garmin both have apps.

outlook email/calendra can be handled by touchdown, which afaik is still the best integration with exchange on any platform outside of winmo

The stock mail and calendar apps both support Exchange natively, so no problems there. You can then use GMail and Google Calendar for your personal accounts.

For offline navigation there's a bunch of different options, both free and paid. TomTom and Garmin both have apps.
Thanks for the replies, I'll be getting the Nexus 7 for sure. Gonna wait for the HTC/Nexus 4 reviews.

all i know is until we get a connection fast enough for me to record HD video at 20mbps straight to the cloud, it's not fast enough. gimme space.

Speak the truth to the heathens, for they know not the true meaning of Storage Space.

I have to admit, I would be sorely tempted by a 64GB N10. These days my Touchpad is relegated to only minimal duties though, I can't shake the feeling an N10 would be a waste of money for me.

buhdeh

did you decide what phone you're getting next? Or are you not up for upgrade, I forget...

I have an S3 that I recently got. I could probably sell it and buy an N4 and still have about $100 left over. I've been running my S3 on HSPA+ lately just to see if I can get by with it... I don't need LTE THAT badly and would certainly like to have my old iPhone 4/4S all-day+ battery life again but I may just be trying to rationalize getting the N4 to myself lol.

I have an S3 that I recently got. I could probably sell it and buy an N4 and still have about $100 left over. I've been running my S3 on HSPA+ lately just to see if I can get by with it... I don't need LTE THAT badly and would certainly like to have my old iPhone 4/4S all-day+ battery life again but I may just be trying to rationalize getting the N4 to myself lol.
lol what carrier are you with and how is the HSPA+ experiment going with it? Significantly noticeably worse than LTE? Adequate?

I mean the iphone max is 4S 14.4 isn't it? And I get very solid speeds of 5-6 down 3-5 up. With hspa+ 42 I think I might be satisfied enough with the nexus 4. I mean yeah it's no LTE, goes without saying. But it's...not as bad as it could be?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
How the hell do you properly use the JB keyboard? The old ICS one used to easily use question marks and commas. I could just click the word I had typed up and the next suggestions were punctuations. This one doesnt quickly allow you to use either. You have to tap and hold to get to it. Am I missing something?

lol what carrier are you with and how is the HSPA+ experiment going with it? Significantly noticeably worse than LTE? Adequate?

I mean the iphone max is 4S 14.4 isn't it? And I get very solid speeds of 5-6 down 3-5 up. With hspa+ 42 I think I might be satisfied enough with the nexus 4. I mean yeah it's no LTE, goes without saying. But it's...not as bad as it could be?

Get the Nexus. Just do it. I'm also simultaneously talking to myself

Not so sure about Google's method for Quick Settings, I still prefer CM's way of doing things:

jYXtd.jpg

yogloo

Wow the new keyboard is really nice. I'm not a swype kinda of guy. But I really like Google's inplementation on this. Very well done.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Wow the new keyboard is really nice. I'm not a swype kinda of guy. But I really like Google's inplementation on this. Very well done.
Any insight on the below? I can't swipe for punctuation like I could in Swype.

How the hell do you properly use the JB keyboard? The old ICS one used to easily use question marks and commas. I could just click the word I had typed up and the next suggestions were punctuations. This one doesnt quickly allow you to use either. You have to tap and hold to get to it. Am I missing something?

Not so sure about Google's method for Quick Settings, I still prefer CM's way of doing things:

jYXtd.jpg

Can't agree. Exposing quick settings constantly when you only really need them a few times a day and they use up notification estate isn't the best use. This new way of doing things is cleaner, more professional and allows way more icons than you can fit on a traditional status bar (unless you scroll along which isn't very intuitive)

Can't agree. Exposing quick settings constantly when you only really need them a few times a day and they use up notification estate isn't the best use. This new way of doing things is cleaner, more professional and allows way more icons than you can fit on a traditional status bar (unless you scroll along which isn't very intuitive)

You don't notice how great CM's toggles are until you have used them. Why do I want a whole new window if the toggles barely take up any space as it is?

gcubed

You don't notice how great CM's toggles are until you have used them. Why do I want a whole new window if the toggles barely take up any space as it is?

why do you want to take up any space at all on your notification screen when you can just two finger swipe down and get your quick toggles. Every pixel of that notification screen is valuable

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
The only thing it shows me automatically is weather.

Google Now works pretty well for me, it knows when Im near restaurants, and checkins are easy, transit directions work absolutely perfectly as does all navigation and now it even has 'picture spots' popping up.

gcubed

Google Now works pretty well for me, it knows when Im near restaurants, and checkins are easy, transit directions work absolutely perfectly as does all navigation and now it even has 'picture spots' popping up.

yup. the only thing i wish for is it to allow me to choose which routes are public transit and which are driving. I take public transit for work and drive most everywhere else.

Futureman

I had an event on my calendar (doc appointment) for 8:30AM today.

I thought Google Now was supposed to pop a card up for this a day early or something? Totally forgot about it. G-Now you let me down!

I thought Google Now was supposed to pop a card up for this a day early or something? Totally forgot about it. G-Now you let me down!

Do you have your doctor's address filled into the location in your calendar entry?

Angst

If, as whatsinaname said, you entered an address for the appointment a card will pop up when you have to leave to be there in time. Without an address Google has a bit of a difficulty in figuring out where the "doc" is... :p

Sky Chief

I too had a Doctor's appointment this morning and it beeped me telling me a few minutes before I had to leave the house. I got there right on time, so cool.

why do you want to take up any space at all on your notification screen when you can just two finger swipe down and get your quick toggles. Every pixel of that notification screen is valuable

Ding ding, someone gets it.

And I have used CM quick toggles, they look nice, but I think this solution is more innovative and intuitive.

Gwanatu T

Go in keyboard options and get rid of "next word prediction." First thing I've done since JB's first keyboard.

I don't like the 2 finger gestures when using my Galaxy S3. For some reason it just feels awkward to me personally. It's just like how Google got rid of the 2 finger gesture for the Cards interface through notifications.

Ding ding, someone gets it.

And I have used CM quick toggles, they look nice, but I think this solution is more innovative and intuitive.

If the second pulldown is a little bit more detailed and I can do more from it, then I'm pretty pumped about the idea. For now I can't see justification in a whole new dropdown window.

VoxPop

how do you guys live in the cloud?

Do you not watch movies? Do you not play with a lot of apps on your phone?

i swear them coming out with a 64gb Nexus 10 signifies one thing to me:

they only came out with an 8gb nexus 4 as a loss leader (and the 8gb Nexus 7)...

but this is getting downright ridiculous now though...

it's why they don't have 8 gb in the nexus 10, they know that's not cool.

they are probably just willing to bet that people don't like to have a lot of video on their phone....but what about the apps...they forgot that apps take up space and that 16gb is not even really 16gb. i wish i could talk to these people and shake them. this 16gb shit is driving me nuts

I have no interest in watching movies/shows on a 4-5" screen. I'm really only on my phone to text, play with some apps and the occasional web browsing.

I also much prefer those things on a tablet/laptop/desktop/TV than on a tiny screen.

A lot of apps fit perfectly on a 16-64GB. Don't you have to root your phone to even get the apps on the SD card on Android?

8GB is ridiculous though. That thing is a bomba waiting to happen. They even bailed on the 8GB Nexus 7 cause they knew that was plain moronic.

Futureman

Do you have your doctor's address filled into the location in your calendar entry?

so it will only grab stuff from Calendar that has the address field filled in?

I feel like that's an oversight but maybe not. Like if you have an anniversary on your calendar it would be cool to see a card pop up for it reminding you? I guess some people's calendar's are very full though and that could get annoying.

I have no interest in watching movies/shows on a 4-5" screen. I'm really only on my phone to text, play with some apps and the occasional web browsing.

I also much prefer those things on a tablet/laptop/desktop/TV than on a tiny screen.

A lot of apps fit perfectly on a 16-64GB. Don't you have to root your phone to even get the apps on the SD card on Android?

8GB is ridiculous though. That thing is a bomba waiting to happen. They even bailed on the 8GB Nexus 7 cause they knew that was plain moronic.

I really don't watch a lot of movies on my phone..very rarely, like maybe at work on a slow day i'll pull up netflix...but i don't always want to be doing that since i am limited to 5gb's of data before i get throttled...

very rarely do i even go above 5gb, but it does happen, which is why i'm going to go to a mobile share plan, so i can use my wife's data up too (she barely uses any)

the thing is, i want the option to do whatever i want, and having to uninstall things to be able to install certain games is friggin annoying...

because of my micro sd slot in my Atrix, i never had to erase or move anything around... never deleted apps, none of that was ever an issue...

i feel so constrained on my one x that I can never go 16gb again...unless i have an sd slot to back me up...

i keep thinking i should just sell this One X and get an S3 and call it a day...64gb microsd slot would be wonderful to have, and i'll have that until i get a new phone or whatever.

but now i keep thinking

s4 pro
1080p slcd3
2gb ram
micro sd slot

i should just get an s3 to hold me over until we get that in a phone. and then grab a nexus 10 32gb to cover my tablet needs (until surface pro comes out lolololol)

I feel like that's an oversight but maybe not. Like if you have an anniversary on your calendar it would be cool to see a card pop up for it reminding you? I guess some people's calendar's are very full though and that could get annoying.
No, I've had things on my calendar without an address show up in Google Now. Are you sure it was synced to your phone? My calendar items always seem to show up just fine.

Well, I think having Google Now do that is kind of redundant.

Google Calendar already has reminders that populate your notification screen (and also an option to send yourself an email).

The Google Now card estimates traffic and driving conditions so it is useful when you have somewhere you need to be.

Edit: @CrookedRain - I haven't seen cards for address-less appointments either. I had assumed that was by design.

Well, I think having Google Now do that is kind of redundant.

Google Calendar already has reminders that populate your notification screen (and also an option to send yourself an email).

The Google Now card estimates traffic and driving conditions so it is useful when you have somewhere you need to be.

Edit: @CrookedRain - I haven't seen cards for address-less appointments either. I had assumed that was by design.

I just tested it out by adding a new item to my calendar with only a title and the time set to 10 minutes in the future and it showed up up in Google Now. Maybe you need to refresh Google Now? Also, check your settings for "Next Appointment".

music controls.

CM wins.

music controls.

CM wins.

Music controls are already in the notification area if you are playing music in stock Android....

PwnCakes193 said:
If the second pulldown is a little bit more detailed and I can do more from it, then I'm pretty pumped about the idea. For now I can't see justification in a whole new dropdown window.

It is more detailed. Not necessarily for you or I but for folks who don't actually know what the symbols in current status bar controls are (More than you might think, especially older generations)

Donos

Only thing what google or the carriers could do for the 8gb nexus is to offer alot of cloud space. Like htc and samsung are doing with their 25/50 gb dropbox for 2 years offers.

but now i keep thinking

s4 pro
1080p slcd3
2gb ram
micro sd slot

That's the htc jesus dna phone. Doesn't it have 64gb?

falastini

Ugh... nobody wants me to buy their phone.

Engadget says the One X+ has worse battery-life than the One X, despite the bigger battery.

Maybe I'll just grab the S3 and get it over with. Or save my upgrade, deal with the LTE-less nexus, for now, then use the upgrade next year.

3phemeral

I get my appointment reminders all the time and I don't have an address listed. Then again, I don't get direction and traffic-time estimates either. Since I have week-by-week changing hours, it's difficult to add an address every single time I add a new date. But that's not an issue because those appointments I have are usually for work, which is already handled as a preset (along with my home address), so that card always pops up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom