• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
HTC simply doesn't understand battery life and everyone should refuse to buy their phones until they realize how it works.
Or save my upgrade, deal with the LTE-less nexus, for now, then use the upgrade next year.
I think you should do just that.

I might be doing it too. No LTE sucks DICK. But hspa+ is nothing to scoff at if you have access to it. As well, it's easily the best android phone available.

snacknuts

we all knew her
The rendering engine for Photosphere isn't there (you can still take the images and it will stitch them together, but you can't view them on the device), but I'm running the 4.2 camera and gallery VZW GNex running Bugless Beast) and really liking the on-screen camera menu. Shutter speeds are still great, but it's still the same subpar camera hardware, so nothing mind-blowing there.

buhdeh

lol what carrier are you with and how is the HSPA+ experiment going with it? Significantly noticeably worse than LTE? Adequate?

I mean the iphone max is 4S 14.4 isn't it? And I get very solid speeds of 5-6 down 3-5 up. With hspa+ 42 I think I might be satisfied enough with the nexus 4. I mean yeah it's no LTE, goes without saying. But it's...not as bad as it could be?

I'm on Rogers. TBH the speeds are fine for my use, especially when I spend most of my time in the office downtown (where I get a whopping 1mbps HSPA+ speeds and 4.5mbps on LTE) it's just a few nagging issues for me with losing LTE.

1. No way to get YouTube HD
2. Very noticeable delay in response times (200+ ms ping on HSPA+ vs 90 ms ping on LTE)

YouTube HQ (NOT HD) streams perfectly fine on HSPA+ but you definitely notice how much grainier the videos are. I guess I don't really watch YouTube when I'm out but it'd be nice to have HD for checking out movie trailers (I need to have that in HD).

The response times are noticeable when using stuff like WhatsApp. On LTE the "sent" checkmark appears near instantaneously whereas on HSPA+, it shows the "sending" clock for a while. Clicking links also feels slower because you click a link.. then wait for a response.. then it starts loading (usually pretty fast at this stage).

All in all, I'm pretty sure I can make do with the HSPA+ N4. Especially since I'll actually have $100-150 leftover after I sell the S3 and buy the N4. I guess I don't mind giving up LTE to never have to check XDA again and to have a phone that I can actually pull out in a meeting (i.e. not ass ugly).

VoxPop

HTC simply doesn't understand battery life and everyone should refuse to buy their phones until they realize how it works.

I think you should do just that.

I might be doing it too. No LTE sucks DICK. But hspa+ is nothing to scoff at if you have access to it. As well, it's easily the best android phone available.

I remember my dad's old HTC Thunderbolt dying after literally 2.5 hours of moderate screen time use like the GNEX.

Anyone know if Google refunds orders and such through the Play Store? I want to just get my hands on the phone and see how it looks and feels in person with the glass back and all. Pretty sure T-Mobile will have a shitty dummy phone version out on display like all the other Android phones. Thinking of picking up one for my 13 year old nephew as his first smartphone and I want to see how it is before sending him into the trenches.

I'm on Rogers. TBH the speeds are fine for my use, especially when I spend most of my time in the office downtown (where I get a whopping 1mbps HSPA+ speeds and 4.5mbps on LTE) it's just a few nagging issues for me with losing LTE.

1. No way to get YouTube HD
2. Very noticeable delay in response times (200+ ms ping on HSPA+ vs 90 ms ping on LTE)

YouTube HQ (NOT HD) streams perfectly fine on HSPA+ but you definitely notice how much grainier the videos are. I guess I don't really watch YouTube when I'm out but it'd be nice to have HD for checking out movie trailers (I need to have that in HD).

The response times are noticeable when using stuff like WhatsApp. On LTE the "sent" checkmark appears near instantaneously whereas on HSPA+, it shows the "sending" clock for a while. Clicking links also feels slower because you click a link.. then wait for a response.. then it starts loading (usually pretty fast at this stage).

All in all, I'm pretty sure I can make do with the HSPA+ N4. Especially since I'll actually have $100-150 leftover after I sell the S3 and buy the N4. I guess I don't mind giving up LTE to never have to check XDA again and to have a phone that I can actually pull out in a meeting (i.e. not ass ugly).
interesting.

damn that's some shitty hspa+ speeds you're getting there. But yeah in the end it's all about the tradeoff. Giving up LTE is a big bitch but you get a beast of a phone running stock android in return. It's just such a tough pill to swallow because if it did have LTE it would truly be the most monstrous phone on the market.

But yeah I'm leaning towards making the trade-off as well.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Anyone know if Google refunds orders and such through the Play Store?

From their support page:

Returns

If for any reason you do not wish to keep your device, you have up to 15 days from the date the device is delivered to you to cancel your purchase and intiate a refund. Please contact our support team by email to return your device. Once you fill out the form, the following will occur:

We send a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) and a pre-paid UPS shipping label to your email address. These will be sent in two separate emails.
Print the RMA (attached in the email) and place the form inside of the shipping box you're returning.
Print the pre-paid UPS shipping label and attach the label to the outside of the shipping box.
For additional tips, please see information on preparing your device for return.

You can initiate a return within 15 days of delivery. Upon receipt of your returned device, we'll issue a refund to the original Google Wallet account minus a 15% restocking fee (if applicable). We may waive the fee for an unopened box in perfect condition. For damaged units, customers may be charged additional restocking fees based on the state of your returned device.

Refunds for returned devices will be issued to the credit card used when making the original purchase with your Google Wallet account. You may not be refunded for the shipping cost of the original purchase.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/10/31/android-engineer-romain-guy-posts-fancy-shots-of-nexus-10-takes-our-breath-away/

he didn't have to do that to sell me on the Nexus 10, but damn if i don't want to own the whole family now...

If I have all three of them, will I be bored with stock Android? I mean it's like i'll be seeing the same screen three times over, hmmm...

Maybe If I have a 10, then I don't need a 7...

but..but..i want all three.

maybe i'll use the 7 for gaming and lightweight reading, and the 10 for movies and surfing the net, and the occasional "i don't have my nexus 7" book and magazine reading...

probably should just read magazines on the 10 since it is high res and will have more screen space...

dilemma

$349 + $499= $849.99 (not actual math) sometimes i wish i lived near sales tax free oregon.

I think i'm going to have a helluva time trying to justify this to the wifey... probably going to have to deal in some house chores until like april...

why do you want to take up any space at all on your notification screen when you can just two finger swipe down and get your quick toggles. Every pixel of that notification screen is valuable

Because doing it with one finger is a lot easier than doing it with two. I can toggle anything on and off with only one free hand. Using two finger swipe I have have the phone laying on something or in my other hand. Haven't used 4.2 yet but notification space never really came at enough of a premium where I was concerned about the few pixels used in CM. Also Google uses that same space to provide quick access to settings, so they're not to concerned about screen real estate either it seems.

buhdeh

interesting.

damn that's some shitty hspa+ speeds you're getting there. But yeah in the end it's all about the tradeoff. Giving up LTE is a big bitch but you get a beast of a phone running stock android in return. It's just such a tough pill to swallow because if it did have LTE it would truly be the most monstrous phone on the market.

But yeah I'm leaning towards making the trade-off as well.

Yeah, on average though I'll usually get around 5-8Mbps on HSPA+ in Vancouver whereas LTE will be around 10-20Mbps on average. I did hit 48Mbps once and it was godly. I'm sure it'd be even better for you since Bell has DC-HSPA+. If only Rogers had it... sigh.

Yeah, on average though I'll usually get around 5-8Mbps on HSPA+ in Vancouver whereas LTE will be around 10-20Mbps on average. I did hit 48Mbps once and it was godly. I'm sure it'd be even better for you since Bell has DC-HSPA+. If only Rogers had it... sigh.
Yeah Bell definitely has great HSPA+ speeds. I guess I'm lucky in that regard. As well as the fact that I live in Toronto where the coverage is usually great. I forgot that rogers doesn't have access to it. Only Bell and Telus right. That sucks! Still worth it over an S3 imo.

3phemeral

*looks*

HOLY CRAP ADW GOT UPDATED?!

Yup, and it is pretty slick. I like the intro where you can set your preferences after they give you a detailed explanation. Great idea because when I first used custom launchers, I was confused as hell trying to figure out what those options even meant.

Confirmed: GT-i9260 is NOT a Nexus.

After numerous rumors and leaks, the Samsung Galaxy Premier has finally been officially announced by Samsung Ukraine. Aimed at Eastern European markets, the Galaxy Premier combines mid-to-high-end smartphone internals with the latest software from Google and Samsung.

l5XG2.jpg

The Galaxy Premier packs a 4.65-inch, 1280x720 HD SuperAMOLED display, and is powered by a 1.5GHz TI OMAP 4 CPU, backed up by 1GB of RAM. You've also got 16GB of storage, expandable via a microSD slot, an 8MP rear camera and 1.9MP front-facer. On the software side, you're looking at Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean and Samsung's latest TouchWiz UI.

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsu...icial-465-inch-screen-jelly-bean-and-touchwiz

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

gcubed

Not so sure about Google's method for Quick Settings, I still prefer CM's way of doing things:

jYXtd.jpg

Because doing it with one finger is a lot easier than doing it with two. I can toggle anything on and off with only one free hand. Using two finger swipe I have have the phone laying on something or in my other hand. Haven't used 4.2 yet but notification space never really came at enough of a premium where I was concerned about the few pixels used in CM. Also Google uses that same space to provide quick access to settings, so they're not to concerned about screen real estate either it seems.

google definitely doesn't use the space that the quick settings are in in the picture above'

also, i've had to resort to using GrooveIP for all calling at home because of cell issues due to Sandy. Its not too bad, no one really notices a difference besides the fact that they have to call my GVoice number

*looks*

HOLY CRAP ADW GOT UPDATED?!

Hahaha, I pretty much did the same thing after seeing that. Sadly I have moved onto Nova Launcher as ADW looked like it had gone the way of LauncherPro.

Perhaps I'll give it a look, be a shame to let that 10p I spent go to waste :p

Futureman

1. THANK YOU. It sucks I get no next word prediction but the inability to punctuate was getting on my nerves big time.

2. There goes that multi Nexus rumor.

1. Yea this was annoying me as well. Didn't know you could disable it.

2. Original multi-Nex rumor was 5 Nexus devices this year. We've had Nexus 7, Q, 10, and 4.

So we still have one more this year. Q².

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
1. Yea this was annoying me as well. Didn't know you could disable it.

2. Original multi-Nex rumor was 5 Nexus devices this year. We've had Nexus 7, Q, 10, and 4.

So we still have one more this year. Q².

2. I called it as devices months ago. Nice to be right. It's probably not Q2. Might be something with Google TV. Wait, that could be Q2.

you can still use one finger, you just have to tap again.

Futureman

I don't user Power Control, and in the future quick settings, enough for it to ALWAYS be
there in the notification shade. I'm guessing that's what Goog is thinking and I'm glad.

and w/ 4.2 now supporting Miracast (just noticed there's a "Wireless Display" toggle in quick settings), can I buy a Google TV box for $100 that support Miracast? Do these even exist?

and have there been any shots released of widgets on the lock screen?

Cipherr

why do you want to take up any space at all on your notification screen when you can just two finger swipe down and get your quick toggles. Every pixel of that notification screen is valuable

This.

so it will only grab stuff from Calendar that has the address field filled in?

I feel like that's an oversight but maybe not. Like if you have an anniversary on your calendar it would be cool to see a card pop up for it reminding you? I guess some people's calendar's are very full though and that could get annoying.

Nah, itll give you your reminders, but it obviously cannot give you traffic info for the travel time to your appointment without having some way to know where the appointment is. It can either learn locations over time through GPS, or you can have address info in contacts. There's no other way.

Because doing it with one finger is a lot easier than doing it with two. I can toggle anything on and off with only one free hand. Using two finger swipe I have have the phone laying on something or in my other hand.

You can do this with one finger also. SURPRISE. All it takes is two taps. Then you are also given the option for the two finger swipe down. Ill go with this over a static bar thats taking up space even when I dont need it.

Bboy AJ

Google should figure out a way to stop using two finger gestures completely. They suck. The xscope pin zoom is much better than pinch. If I can navigate my 5" phone with one hand and just my thumb, that would be ideal.

Yup...

I'm pretty sure i'm going to be making a dumb decision and buying this tablet with a credit card i shouldn't be using on 11/13 lol. I will be facing the wrath of hell on this one...

i wonder since it will be using the exynos 5, if it will be using the wolfson DAC? not that it matters much for a tablet, that will not be my main music player...or maybe it could be, but not on the go. somebody school me on that.

i would also be pretty sad if they brought the 64gb to the US soon after christmas...but i'm an early adopter at heart.

Alright I just did something that basically puts me at the point of no return. I sold my Nexus 7. Am getting ipad mini. It's point of no return because I like to have multiple OS's and always want an android and iOS one, so now I pretty much 100% am getting the Nexus 4.

42mbps will have to do for data speed. I GUESS.

GatorBait

Anyone want to take my ~3-month old Galaxy Nexus off my hands? It's in nearly mint condition (you can almost mistake it for being brand new), and I have all the original packaging for it. I'd be willing to give a pretty good deal on it, as I'd just like to avoid some of the hassle that usually comes with selling these things.

Only reason I'm selling it is because I want to succumb to the draw of the LG Nexus. And that's the only catch: I'll have to sell it to you after I have the new phone in my hands.

Ephemeris

Anyone want to take my ~3-month old Galaxy Nexus off my hands? It's in nearly mint condition (you can almost mistake it for being brand new), and I have all the original packaging for it. I'd be willing to give a pretty good deal on it, as I'd just like to avoid some of the hassle that usually comes with selling these things.

Only reason I'm selling it is because I want to succumb to the draw of the LG Nexus. And that's the only catch: I'll have to sell it to you after I have the new phone in my hands.

GSM?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Just got a Google now card that showed my total walking distance for October...anyone else got that?

Bboy AJ

If its GSM, PM me.

Bboy AJ

I propose we re subname the OT "Futuristic Motherfuckers."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom