• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

yup, the inital upload took forever. I can't wait for the match to come out... as I posted earlier (which i'd love to know if it worked), my wife has hundreds of itunes songs still with DRM and i'm not payinig 75 dollars to remove their DRM (fuck you apple, one of the many reasons we left)... i hope the match will work on them and she gets her library back

yup, the inital upload took forever. I can't wait for the match to come out... as I posted earlier (which i'd love to know if it worked), my wife has hundreds of itunes songs still with DRM and i'm not payinig 75 dollars to remove their DRM (fuck you apple, one of the many reasons we left)... i hope the match will work on them and she gets her library back
i don't see how match would work with DRM'd songs...

gutshot

So the songs my wife keeps buying on iTunes I won't be able to import over to my Google Music? That sucks. Kinda makes you want to keep buying CDs. At least then you can just rip them into mp3s and do whatever you want with them.

Ocho

So the songs my wife keeps buying on iTunes I won't be able to import over to my Google Music? That sucks. Kinda makes you want to keep buying CDs. At least then you can just rip them into mp3s and do whatever you want with them.

Songs don't have DRM anymore.

GatorBait

Any predictions on if we'll be able to choose to turn off Google music match?

My collection is immaculately organized with tags and album art, and I'd hate to lose that. In addition, some of my songs have had slight edits made to them (clipping off intros, outros, etc). I also really like the idea of Google Music being a fail-safe backup of my music in case my physical media ever gets destroyed.

Wazzim

Banned
Got an Android because my WP7 died and I quickly needed a new phone. I expected things to be less streamlined/quick but holy shit, what's wrong with the browsers on android?
Any way to speed those (chrome etc) up?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Got an Android because my WP7 died and I quickly needed a new phone. I expected things to be less streamlined/quick but holy shit, what's wrong with the browsers on android?

What phone did you get? They seem way faster than my old WP7 device.

Cipherr

The bolded doesnt sound good. If you bought some cheap bad phone, your going to get cheap bad performance for the most part. What did you buy?

Gaaraz

I've just upgraded from ICS to Jellybean on my Galaxy S3 (yay, Orange UK finally rolled out the update!) and am really struggling to see anything new, other than Google Now... which I still haven't really worked out how to use properly

Anyway, I'm wondering is there a way to replace S Voice with Google Now? ie doubel tap the home button and it loads Google Now?

gcubed

Yea what did you get? Chrome is less than optimal compared to iPhone safari but both it and the stock browser destroy WP7 IE

Wazzim

Banned
The bolded doesnt sound good. If you bought some cheap bad phone, your going to get cheap bad performance for the most part. What did you buy?

LG Optimus L7 (1ghz, mono core), so just a midrange phone. It isn't like my old WP7 had better hardware.

Guess I'm doomed to live in the Opera mini ghetto?

I've just upgraded from ICS to Jellybean on my Galaxy S3 (yay, Orange UK finally rolled out the update!) and am really struggling to see anything new, other than Google Now... which I still haven't really worked out how to use properly

Anyway, I'm wondering is there a way to replace S Voice with Google Now? ie doubel tap the home button and it loads Google Now?

Install a new ROM lol.

Honestly I'm no help...that's what I would do though. That phone has plenty of dev support

Also does the phone feel faster? Hopefully touchwiz didn't ruin the project butter

Threi

notag
Opera mini will always have slow rendering, mo matter what device you're on. It goes through opera servers before it reaches your phone (to reduce file size for less data consumption)

Single core devices can run android beautifully (my single core infuse and nexus 7 are almost equally snappy on 4.1.2). Just check xda forums for your device.

Doopliss

http://www.android.com/about/jelly-bean/

Not sure about this, but if you clear defaults for S-Voice (System Settings > Apps > All) it might let you select Google Search when you next double tap.

tino

Banned
LG Optimus L7 (1ghz, mono core), so just a midrange phone. It isn't like my old WP7 had better hardware.

Guess I'm doomed to live in the Opera mini ghetto?

When I was on Android 2.X, the browsers that run the smoothest were Dolphin Mini and the MIUI browser. You really need to try out 5-7 browsers to find out which one run the smoothest on your phone.

Gaaraz

Thanks guys, for what it's worth I'm using Nova rather than TouchWiz but I guess that'll still mask a lot of changes. Google Now seems good if not a bit of a pain to access - shame that disabling S Voice just basically takes me to Google's voice dial feature :(

RuGalz

Thanks guys, for what it's worth I'm using Nova rather than TouchWiz but I guess that'll still mask a lot of changes. Google Now seems good if not a bit of a pain to access - shame that disabling S Voice just basically takes me to Google's voice dial feature :(

Nova launcher doesn't support custom actions? I typically map double tap on screen to launch Google Now instead of the home button because it's easier to use. I usually use Go or Apex launcher depending on my mood.

hold menu button doesn't launch Now?

tino

Banned
Staples has the Lenovo a2107 for 150 for Black Friday.

What do you guys think? It has sd card slot and sim slot. I think you can not do any better for under 200. I am thinking getting it for my father so it automaticall download our photos to it and serve as a smart photo frame.

edit: wait it doesn't have sim slot? Never mind.

I just got a pureview 808...

compared pictures with the One X

One X didn't stand a chance...=(

(symbian is a piece of turd though)

I'm actually curious about the 808. Care to share any demonstration pics with us? It's just for fun, since the 808 is literally a camera prototype which can be used as a phone.

I'm actually curious about the 808. Care to share any demonstration pics with us? It's just for fun, since the 808 is literally a camera prototype which can be used as a phone.

sure thing....

can i show both 8mp pics side my side?....too lazy to resize..

*edit*

i'll try to crop it..

2012-11-06-0016a.jpg
2012-11-06%2014.40.20a.jpg

wow i failed ..100% crop both using 8mp mode....didn't set anything ...

Nova launcher doesn't support custom actions? I typically map double tap on screen to launch Google Now instead of the home button because it's easier to use. I usually use Go or Apex launcher depending on my mood.
I believe only the paid version of Nova allows that while the free version of Apex does.

panda21

is there anything free that does everything tasker does? llama sounds cool but i want something that can work on time of day and location.

also conjure seems to only work with tasker :(

i guess maybe i should just get tasker but the price seems insane, is it worth it?

tino

Banned
is there anything free that does everything tasker does? llama sounds cool but i want something that can work on time of day and location.

i guess maybe i should just get tasker but the price seems insane, is it worth it?

Don't think so. The main thing is you will only get community forum support for Tasker.

Plus its too niche a market, usually there is only space for one good app.

$6.49 is insane? that's about the price of a meal at mcdonalds.

well compared to other apps it is. given that most apps (esp. utility ones) are superseded by the OS functionality sooner or later, or just stop being updated, it seems a lot to pay for something that won't last.

indeed, there is no way this is worth 6.5x that app where you squish insects

i have no idea why 100,000-500,000 people bought it or why it has a 4.5 average star rating from 11,129 people

tino

Banned
well compared to other apps it is. given that most apps (esp. utility ones) are superseded by the OS functionality sooner or later, or just stop being updated, it seems a lot to pay for something that won't last.

If it make you feel any better, it has never run any discount. So if you buy it now you won't get burn by the lower price.

Pctx

Banned
android-jellybean-review.jpg

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/11/review-android-4-2-is-a-sweeter-tasting-jelly-bean/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+arstechnica%2Findex+(Ars+Technica+-+All+content)

Taken together, the tweaks made overall performance much more consistent in Jelly Bean. Before, Android's interface was capable of smoothness on sufficiently fast hardware (see our Optimus G review for evidence of that), but Jelly Bean brought smoothness even to older hardware like the Motorola Xoom and first-generation Kindle Fire. Using Android finally felt as good as using iOS or Windows Phone.

Can't wait for it to hit nightlies on CM10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom