• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am really enjoying Google Now! I had watched the trailer for Skyfall last week on youtube and was planning to watch the movie this weekend. Just saw a card for Skyfall with a 'Learn More' link that leads to local show times.

Blackhead

Redarse
android-jellybean-review.jpg

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/11/review-android-4-2-is-a-sweeter-tasting-jelly-bean/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+arstechnica%2Findex+(Ars+Technica+-+All+content)

Can't wait for it to hit nightlies on CM10.
Arstechnica said:
Daydream
This one falls firmly into the nice-not-necessary category: when docked (or when charging), you can use the screen to display photos, shifting colors, and a clock when your tablet is sleeping. No more simply turning the screen off. If you want to use your tablet as a digital picture frame when not in use, this is the feature for you. Otherwise, it can be safely ignored (or disabled).

daydreams-1-640x400.jpg

I wish Ars wrote more about Daydream . I spy a Currents option for Daydream in the picture which is new information to me. Is the Daydream feature open to developers? If someone makes a daydream showing off all the books/magazines/comics on the tablet that are instantly selectable—making this a great coffee table device—I would be very tempted to buy one.

Nakazato

So gaf. I'm planning in getting a nexus 7 early next year with my tax return. I was wondering if should I wait cause I have a feeling by April we will hear rumors of a nexus 7 4g. Any thoughts?

Pctx

Banned
I am really enjoying Google Now! I had watched the trailer for Skyfall last week on youtube and was planning to watch the movie this weekend. Just saw a card for Skyfall with a 'Learn More' link that leads to local show times.

What's funny is I'm somewhat fighting the "give them my location" thing but having traffic reports when I go to and from work would be REALLY nice.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
We got us a new leak..Sony's Yuga:

Sony will not be happy about this at all, but pictures of the Sony C660X (C6603) handset (codenamed Yuga) have leaked. There are seven pictures in total and everything we have been told by our sources up until now, suggest that these pictures are the real deal.

The site that has leaked the pictures, Android Schweiz, claims Yuga will come with a 1.5GHz quad-core processor, 2GB RAM, a surprising 12MP camera (we always thought 13MP Exmor RS was pretty much a dead cert) and a 5-inch 1080p display. The camera may be upgraded by the time it comes to launch though.

The Yuga comes in a unibody enclosure, therefore do not expect to be able to replace the battery. It will also be the first Sony Xperia phone to come with a glass back, similar to the iPhone 4/4S. The handset design looks elegant with a boxy shape (no arc or NXT features here) and a very thin bezel either side of the display. It has a striking chrome power button on the right side with volume rocker in the middle. A dedicated camera button is also present where you’d expect it to be.

As can be seen in the pictures below, this prototype is running Android 4.1.1, a new kernel version (3.4) as well as 10.1.A.0.XXX firmware, which we already know is Jelly Bean. It all looks like a very nice package indeed and we can’t wait to see/hear more. So, would you buy it?

SonyC6603Yuga_1.jpg

SonyC6603Yuga_2.jpg

SonyC6603Yuga_3.jpg

SonyC6603Yuga_4.jpg

SonyC6603Yuga_5.jpg

SonyC6603Yuga_6.png

SonyC6603Yuga_7.jpg

tino

Banned
So besides the virtual buttons, whats the different between this and the HTC?

I am sure neither will have removable battery and SD card slot. So whatever.

Waiting for Samsung or Huawei to provide the solution.

Does giving google now the ability to use your location effect battery life at any noticeable level?

For those that have tested with and without of course...

freshair

re: Google Now.

Specifically the traffic card. I thought it was suppose to show up right before you leave work/home. Is there a way to set the time?

I find it more often than not that it show sup a few hours too early, making the traffic/estimated time to get to said location a bit pointless...

3phemeral

Specifically the traffic card. I thought it was suppose to show up right before you leave work/home. Is there a way to set the time?

I find it more often than not that it show sup a few hours too early, making the traffic/estimated time to get to said location a bit pointless...

I haven't really noticed any significant difference with mine, but have you tried hitting the menu option and refreshing?

thespot84

one thing it does is show traffic to common destinations regardless of your calendar appointments, think home and work.

The second thing is if you have a searchable address in the 'where' field of a calendar appointment, it *should* provide you with a notification when you need to leave your current location, based on traffic. This is how it's worked in my case.

Reading one of the nexus 4 reviews and caught this tidbit about the notification menu in jelly bean 4.2:

"These are not toggles like you see on TouchWiz and custom roms, they are just settings shortcuts. So tapping on the WiFi icon doesn't turn off WiFi, it just takes you to the WiFi settings."

Wtf. How stupid. Why? Hope that's fixed.

1080p is definitely where it's going to be at next year. I can see virtually all flagship phones moving to this resolution as crazy as it sounds.

willing to bet that there are going to be some big phones that do not go 1080p while other lesser phones do, causing some frustration...

it happens every year, either google or samsung leave a good feature out of their phone...

i think we've gotten used to no micro sd, but next year we are going to see one of them leave 1080p out of the equation and it is going to drive me batshit insane...

either that or they will be trying to go back to pentile again.

and don't give me that shit about it won't matter at 1080p because tech sites will be taking pictures with a scope just to piss me off

Reading one of the nexus 4 reviews and caught this tidbit about the notification menu in jelly bean 4.2:

"These are not toggles like you see on TouchWiz and custom roms, they are just settings shortcuts. So tapping on the WiFi icon doesn't turn off WiFi, it just takes you to the WiFi settings."

Just another reason why CM Quick Settings >>>>>> Google "Quick Settings".

rc213

hahaha What the hell, That doesn't make any sense at all.

that would confuse the average user though. can't have confusing options like that!

willing to bet that there are going to be some big phones that do not go 1080p while other lesser phones do, causing some frustration...

it happens every year, either google or samsung leave a good feature out of their phone...

i think we've gotten used to no micro sd, but next year we are going to see one of them leave 1080p out of the equation and it is going to drive me batshit insane...

either that or they will be trying to go back to pentile again.

and don't give me that shit about it won't matter at 1080p because tech sites will be taking pictures with a scope just to piss me off

if Samsung goes 1080p, it's gonna be pentile, at least on the GS4, probably on the Note III too... i mean, assuming they stick to AMOLED

if Samsung goes 1080p, it's gonna be pentile, at least on the GS4, probably on the Note III too... i mean, assuming they stick to AMOLED

Samsung has invested billions into AMOLED and their phones have had it for several years now. They won't go back to LCD now on their top-shelf devices.

These are some nice pictures. It's a bit sad that Nokia spent so much on research into this and most people will never see it.

We got us a new leak..Sony's Yuga:

If the J butterfly doesn't come to AT&T and if that does...that will be my next phone.

These are some nice pictures. It's a bit sad that Nokia spent so much on research into this and most people will never see it.

yeah awesome camera...but I was ready to throw it to wall.

The OS is like, Iphone 1 mixed with gingerbread mixed with webOS...mixed with turd. After getting used to the One X screen, I felt like I was going blind when using the pureview 808.

Cipherr

Samsung has invested billions into AMOLED and their phones have had it for several years now. They won't go back to LCD now on their top-shelf devices.

And thats a shame. The LCD2 on the One X absolutely lapped the Pentile S3 screen. The S3 screen is by no means bad, its just that the OneX has the best display of any phone this year by a comfortable margin. The LCD3 is going live here just six months after the OneX. By the time another 6 months passes and its time for a TwoX, they will be rolling out improved LCD4 displays, and Ill bet HTC pushes 1080p on their next flagship phone.

I don't think Ill stay on the AMOLED train unless some changes drastically. The display tech HTC is using just looks fantastic. So bright and vivid.

Samsung only seems to use PenTile in version 1 of a new resolution or pixel density. See Galaxy Note II which isn't PenTile for example. You should check out the Note II's screen before you declare the One X the winner of whatever.

I've experienced the zero black levels of AMOLED, after that I can't voluntarily go back to LCD. I just can't. I just wish the Koreans would figure out some of the fundamental problems of OLED like burn-in so they can sell me a goddamned OLED TV already.

And thats a shame. The LCD2 on the One X absolutely lapped the Pentile S3 screen. The S3 screen is by no means bad, its just that the OneX has the best display of any phone this year by a comfortable margin. The LCD3 is going live here just six months after the OneX. By the time another 6 months passes and its time for a TwoX, they will be rolling out improved LCD4 displays, and Ill bet HTC pushes 1080p on their next flagship phone.

I don't think Ill stay on the AMOLED train unless some changes drastically. The display tech HTC is using just looks fantastic. So bright and vivid.

I agree, that's the only reason why I kept choosing my One X over my GS3,...they are similar enough function wise(especially when i put CM10), but I keep using the One X more just because of the screen, its that good.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Samsung only seems to use PenTile in version 1 of a new resolution or pixel density. See Galaxy Note II which isn't PenTile for example. You should check out the Note II's screen before you declare the One X the winner of whatever.

I've experienced the zero black levels of AMOLED, after that I can't voluntarily go back to LCD. I just can't. I just wish the Koreans would figure out some of the fundamental problems of OLED like burn-in so they can sell me a goddamned OLED TV already.

Seen the Note II's screen. Not in the One X's league. It's not just the pentile nature, but the color reproduction. While AMOLEDs excel at blacks they still have that weird saturation problem even on devices that are AMOLED+ aka not pentile matrix.

That being said 99% of the LCDs out there don't compare to the screen in the One X either. It's rediculous how good the screen looks on a day in and day out basis.

Doopliss

Code:
GS1:    233 ppi pentile
GS2:    218 ppi RGB
Note:   285 ppi pentile
GNex:   316 ppi pentile
GS3:    306 ppi pentile
Note2:  267 ppi RGB

My prediction is that the GS3 will have a 4.9" 720p (300 ppi) RGB screen. Not sure about the Note 3 - a 5.8" 1080p screen would be 380 ppi which is probably pushing it a bit even for pentile.

popeutlal

So I have Verizon with unlimited data, if I upgrade my phone through Verizon I'll lose my data plan and will need to go with the 2gb a month plan.

I also have the mighty Thunderbolt and want to upgrade to something better, where can I get a decently priced smart phone thats above the Thunderbolt spec wise. Used phones are fine.

Futureman

My prediction is that the GS3 will have a 4.9" 720p (300 ppi) RGB screen. Not sure about the Note 3 - a 5.8" 1080p screen would be 380 ppi which is probably pushing it a bit even for pentile.

Not sure if they'll go bigger with the GS4. 4.7" seems like the sweet spot. It's their most popular phone, not sure if they want to just keep making it bigger and bigger each time. If people want bigger there's the Note.

I could be wrong though! But it seems like every single person I've seen try to predict the GS4 says it'll be bigger.

buhdeh

God Google Now is amazing. Just landed in Portland for a connecting flight and immediately cards come up with my next flight, boarding and departing times, and current status. Then I get a bunch of nearby attractions, a card for Skyfall (because I've been watching the trailer), exchange rate and weather. I can even hit show more and see a bunch of restaurants. So good.

Stuff like this makes me glad I left the iPhone camp.

God Google Now is amazing. Just landed in Portland for a connecting flight and immediately cards come up with my next flight, boarding and departing times, and current status. Then I get a bunch of nearby attractions, a card for Skyfall (because I've been watching the trailer), exchange rate and weather. I can even hit show more and see a bunch of restaurants. So good.

Stuff like this makes me glad I left the iPhone camp.

Yep. Got the skyfall card for watching the trailer as well.

Where does it get your flight information from? From your eTicket in gmail?

gcubed

So I have Verizon with unlimited data, if I upgrade my phone through Verizon I'll lose my data plan and will need to go with the 2gb a month plan.

I also have the mighty Thunderbolt and want to upgrade to something better, where can I get a decently priced smart phone thats above the Thunderbolt spec wise. Used phones are fine.

Verizon was selling refurb'ed Galaxy Nexus phones with a 1 year warranty for like 249 or 299 off contract). You can see if that is still around

snacknuts

we all knew her

Someone in the GNex OT said they had one listed in the buy/sell/trade thread.

So, I think I'm gonna pick up a Note II and probably sell my S3. The prices on ebay seem pretty nice really, is there a catch? How painful is it to sell an old phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom