• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doopliss

hey guys i got a pantech burst. its running on android 2.3.5 and I'm wondering if anyone knows how to change something regarding my text messages. All my texts in a conversation are not listed chronologically but all my texts are displayed first then all the texts of the person im talking to are displayed. I can't find out how to change this. I can also update this to ice cream sandwich but I'm wondering if its worth it? thanks for any input
Not sure about the SMS thing. You could try using a different app for it. I think GO SMS Pro is popular.

ICS is a big upgrade over Gingerbread but you should probably try to find out how other owners of the same phone have found it. Sometimes manufacturers rush updates and release them with bugs that weren't present on the old version.

jokkir

Am I wrong claiming this?

I'm trying to explain to these people that iPad just has the better tablet apps that you can't find on Android. Plus how developers usually go for iOS first because it just has the better market to make apps for (see where stuff comes out first & games) + piracy stuff. But one of them are calling "bulls***" on my claims.

I mean I like Android as much as the next guy but come on >__>

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
hey guys i got a pantech burst. its running on android 2.3.5 and I'm wondering if anyone knows how to change something regarding my text messages. All my texts in a conversation are not listed chronologically but all my texts are displayed first then all the texts of the person im talking to are displayed. I can't find out how to change this. I can also update this to ice cream sandwich but I'm wondering if its worth it? thanks for any input

UPDATE ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!

gcubed

The RAZR M is getting JB as we speak.

God, I can't wait for all the shit to be flushed from the Moto lines and start seeing Google take over.

I'm trying to explain to these people that iPad just has the better tablet apps that you can't find on Android. Plus how developers usually go for iOS first because it just has the better market to make apps for (see where stuff comes out first & games) + piracy stuff. But one of them are calling "bulls***" on my claims.

When it comes to tablet apps they aren't even in the same league. Just ignore em.

no such thing as 'tablet apps' with Android. the way Android and iOS handle resolution are fundamentally different.

Cipherr

So ok... what did I do, somehow my stock music player just started doing that coverflow shit:

TURRDl.png

And in landscape:
JSZ1Ll.png

And I have no idea why. Is there some setting or something I toggled accidentally? I want the old way back where I can see many more albums per screen. This fancy way displays much less information, I dont care about eye candy, just show me my shit.

Threi

notag
Did you change your DPI?

*edit* this ties in with the posts above as well: There is no such thing as a "tablet" app on android, but there are apps that switch to a more "tablet-like" interface depending on the DPI of the device.

Cipherr

Did you change your DPI?

Nah, I have been fiddling with it, apparently it only does that when I view 'Recent' music. I must have never noticed it before or something. /shrug.

coverflow happens in landscape on a phone, it shouldn't, by default do it in portrait

Yeah I cant reproduce it in portrait anymore under recent music, but it still happens in landscape.

tino

Banned

Only for entertainment/consumption apps. For work apps android is just as good if not better.

The point being whether you consider 10" tablet a good size for entertainment/media consumption. Many people think so and I don't. I think its too big and heavy for entertainment. Its a work tablet size and all of them should come with a detachable keyboard.

So I jumped onto the Android train and got a Nexus 7 and an Xperia U:

Xperia U: Nice phone, battery life is very bad. Also, I don't like all of the bloat. I just want a simple OS that I can add stuff to. :( Personally I don't mind the form factor or the size of the keyboard, but it does make typing slow.

Nexus 7: I'm running into issues with mine with audio distortion and marks on the screen that look like =, so I am getting it replaced tomorrow. I love the thing otherwise. :)

Is it worth rooting/installing custom firmware onto either device?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for an actually meaty game? Excluding the 3D stuff I've found, it does seem like the vast majority of games are timewasters with IAPs. I just want a game I can sit down with for hours on end and play. I like strategy games, RPGs, fighting games and RTSes. I also like games like Dwarf Fortress.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
So I jumped onto the Android train and got a Nexus 7 and an Xperia U:

Xperia U: Nice phone, battery life is very bad. Also, I don't like all of the bloat. I just want a simple OS that I can add stuff to. :( Personally I don't mind the form factor or the size of the keyboard, but it does make typing slow.

Nexus 7: I'm running into issues with mine with audio distortion and marks on the screen that look like =, so I am getting it replaced tomorrow. I love the thing otherwise. :)

Is it worth rooting/installing custom firmware onto either device?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for an actually meaty game? Excluding the 3D stuff I've found, it does seem like the vast majority of games are timewasters with IAPs. I just want a game I can sit down with for hours on end and play. I like strategy games, RPGs, fighting games and RTSes. I also like games like Dwarf Fortress.

Check out the lastest Humble Android bundle. Aside from those, I like Jelly Defense.

panda21

i really like beastie bay. dungeon village is also cool.

the total war game seems neat but i didnt actually play it yet

Vanillalite

Check out the lastest Humble Android bundle. Aside from those, I like Jelly Defense.

YES THIS!!!!

Just buy the latest Humble Indie Bundle that hit this week if you haven't already! You get a ton of great games in that!

Humble Android Bundle!

Six glorious games for your mobile entertainment. Humble Bundle for Android 4 features a handpicked selection of the finest portable gaming ever seen for Android. Pay-what-you-want and dive into the creative physics puzzler Crayon Physics Deluxe; the plant-based interstellar RTS Eufloria; the cell-splitting microbial puzzler Splice; the future-retro audiovisual concoction Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP; and the side-scrolling planetary adventure, Waking Mars. Customers who pay more than the average price will also get the fantastic mechanical point-and-click adventure Machinarium!

Alucrid

Banned
What Android phones for Verizon are coming out soon that I can look forward to? I wanted the Xperia T, but I won't be able to switch to AT&T for it, and I'm not huge on the Galaxy S3. Other than that I have no idea what's out there other than that sweet HTC phone that was released in Japan only. My Droid X keeps restarting at random intervals and constantly freezes so I think it's time to put it down.

Vanillalite

What Android phones for Verizon are coming out soon that I can look forward to? I wanted the Xperia T, but I won't be able to switch to AT&T for it, and I'm not huge on the Galaxy S3. Other than that I have no idea what's out there other than that sweet HTC phone that was released in Japan only. My Droid X keeps restarting at random intervals and constantly freezes so I think it's time to put it down.

You are in luck!

GAF Thread: HTC and Verizon unveiling new device on Nov. 13th... (1920 x 1080 phablet?)

GatorBait

Well, with it being obvious that Google Now is going to get increasingly better, I finally gave in and turned on my Google web history.

I never thought this day would come...

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Everyone knows how many messenger clients Google uses. It's ridiculous, pointless, and confusing. It looks like they're finally doing something about it.

"2013 will be the year of +Google+!"
Tuesday I had a breakfast session with +Bradley Horowitz. The event was hosted at +Google Nederland. As I wrote a Dutch article for +Dutchcowboys about it I promised that I would be making a summary and even attach my notes. Well, here it is!

- Currently no ads are displayed. No plans for the near future but all that can of course change
- A social networking site is not the best place to display advertisement
- Twitter and Facebook can only display ads on the social networking site
- Google uses the data collected via Google+ to target ads better on the different Google services
- Google+ helped Google remove the silos of all the different products
- A +1 for an add can lead to a higher CTR
- Not opening the API was a well thought through decision
- The API will be opened in the future (how far and when... no news)
- To ensure growth is organic, the API remained close. Users had to use Google+ instead of a 3rd party client
- You want to keep a conversation as authentic as possible. Spraying your update across multiple networks at once will not help you keep the conversation authentic
- Mobile is very important
- Half of the traffic comes from the mobile clients
- No new usage figures were shared (latest: Sept 17th: https://plus.google.com/+ArvidBux/posts/hn2upSwLVmN )
- Only certain numbers are shared every time as usage numbers are linked to Google's financial data. They can have an impact on the stock and earnings/revenue estimates
- Once Google publishes data once, they have to publish it every year
- Also for services like YouTube or Gmail not all figures are released
- 3rd parties can't measure it all as they don't have access to the real usage data. Besides that they don't measure mobile which is half of the traffic at Google+
- A merge between Voice, Google Talk, Hangouts and Messenger is on the roadmap
- Google News saw some features from Google+. Expect to see some Google News features in Google+
- Removing the silos for business users and making it easier for them to use Google products
- Only 20% of the planned features for Google+ have been rolled out
"+Bradley Horowitz: 2013 will be the year of +Google+!"

The Dutch article over at +Dutchcowboys:
http://www.dutchcowboys.nl/googleplus/26428

https://plus.google.com/+ArvidBux/posts/PYaoYUjo4iB

thespot84

It's on the roadmap...now? As in, it was NOT on the roadmap before? I will be very happy when it's finally merged however to have gone this long without officially considering a fix is appalling.

reKon

Banned
It's on the roadmap...now? As in, it was NOT on the roadmap before? I will be very happy when it's finally merged however to have gone this long without officially considering a fix is appalling.

Yeah I really wonder how they prioritize their enhancements. Some of these additions aren't even that complicated.

gcubed

Not sure if I want another droid though, didn't really like my experience with my X and my dad has a RAZR which I wasn't a huge fan of either.

i'd check it out, it is pretty detached from the razr and old X world, it seems to be a semi google child as it gets a lot of attention in the company. Its a fantastic size, the only downfall is its qhd

AndyD

aka andydumi

Nah, they said before G+ even came out this was on the table. And they have already made some moves in that direction with voice chat in talk vs. messenger.

I'm so torn between loving almost every thing i see/read about that tablet; and hating samsung for putting such a low rez screen on it. > <
you can get a tablet with a higher res screen for less, and this will be especially true next week. they don't have a Wacom digitizer inside though, and that's also why the screen's res is so low.

DXPett1

coverflow happens in landscape on a phone, it shouldn't, by default do it in portrait

You sure. In landscape all my albums are in a grid layout. Cover flow only happens at tablet DPI size.

Maybe OP should do the old uninstall reinstall or even just clear data/cache on the app

Peace, not war:

HTC and Apple have reached a global settlement that includes the dismissal of all current lawsuits and a ten-year license agreement. The license extends to current and future patents held by both parties. The terms of the settlement are confidential.

“HTC is pleased to have resolved its dispute with Apple, so HTC can focus on innovation instead of litigation,” said Peter Chou, CEO of HTC.

“We are glad to have reached a settlement with HTC,” said Tim Cook, CEO of Apple. “We will continue to stay laser focused on product innovation.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom