• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatalah

Oh come on Ubuntu, what's with this logo?

pictogram-android-ready-135x155.png

panda21

and why does it show an old lockscreen? isn't that the gingerbread one? they are targeting top end phones and they can't even be bothered to show it running ICS?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
and why does it show an old lockscreen? isn't that the gingerbread one? they are targeting top end phones and they can't even be bothered to show it running ICS?

I was assuming that was the lock screen your phone shows while in Ubuntu Desktop mode and not Android all together. IDK though....

Yeah, Im trying to decide between an S3 or a Note 2, and while the Note 2 seems better hardware-wise, what's keeping me from committing to it is the community support for it. Support for the S3 is HUGE, for the Note 2 its pretty much nonexistant, especially for the carrier versions.

well, the GN2 is newer and carrier versions are just releasing. support will be pretty good eventually, but it still won't match the GS3. bigger market, etc...

Vanillalite

Isn't HTC already paying MS like $10 per device? How the fuck can they be profitable if they have to pay MS and Apple like $15-$20 per device? LOL

gcubed

Isn't HTC already paying MS like $10 per device? How the fuck can they be profitable if they have to pay MS and Apple like $15-$20 per device? LOL

$5 for MS. so 11 or so per device for a dwindling market share. Poor HTC, who caves first, nokia or HTC?

I have a feeling this "settlement" with HTC is just a way to put a price on Apple's non-essential patents and try to bargain for what they will have to pay Motorola for their (Apple's) infringement going back to iPhone 1.

Carrier billing!!!

couple things...

Carrier billing is only for apps, at least on AT&T and I think Verizon...

Can't buy music movies or books using carrier billing, (i think sprint and T-Mo allow you to do this though)

also, gift cards are better than finding a surprisingly high phone bill with an extra $20-40 worth of app purchases lol (plus music movies books, if you can carrier bill that way)

gift cards are just safer.

that HTC DLX would be sweet, but since it's international it's basically doomed not to have LTE or at least for it not to work over here in the US.

If you put in an extended battery, do you have to wipe your battery stats or something? How do you do that?

Dianne Hackborn on Battery Stats

couple things...

Carrier billing is only for apps, at least on AT&T and I think Verizon...

Can't buy music movies or books using carrier billing, (i think sprint and T-Mo allow you to do this though)

also, gift cards are better than finding a surprisingly high phone bill with an extra $20-40 worth of app purchases lol (plus music movies books, if you can carrier bill that way)

gift cards are just safer.

that HTC DLX would be sweet, but since it's international it's basically doomed not to have LTE or at least for it not to work over here in the US.

BASED SPRINT

gift cards don't charge exact value tho... gonna have money left over!

How was CM10 on the One X? Was it stable for you?

My wife is gonna get either the S3 or One X on Black Friday, and I'll ultimately be deciding for her. The One X seems to be the nicer phone when it comes to build quality and dimensions, but the S3 seems easier to root/flash and has arguably better support with regard to custom ROMs at the moment.

they were both running nightly and both had minor issues.

the SG3 did have more support, but as I learned it not about the quantity of custom roms, but the quality. You would only actually used the roms of maybe 2/3 developers anyways, majority of custom roms are just copy cats of each other...there not all good.

certain things that cant be fix with custom roms are the screen and the camera, which i thought was better on the one x than the gs3

also I was annoyed with the wifi on the gs3..

but overall I think you will be happy with either one...

also, off topic..I got a pureview 808, and its the worst phone I've ever owned...that's why nokia didn't advertise it, it was so dayam buggy.
but it did take nice audio recording in stereo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3E82gSF074

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Anyone get a new Google Play Music app pushed out to their phone?
Has new on phone, all music selection menu. Can't see any other visual changes.

HawkeyeIC

Google Music Update:

What's in this version:

v4.4.811H
* Added ability to keep Thumbs Up, Last Added, and Free and Purchased playlists on device.
* Auto-generated Instant Mixes on Recent tab based on your favorite songs.
* Gapless playback support.
* Improvements for keeping music on your device for offline playback.

Vanillalite

Android Central

HTC publishes Jelly Bean update Q&A - 2012 devices first, excluding One V

htc-jellybean_0_0.jpg

HTC has posted an updated Q&A page for Android 4.1, providing further details about Jelly Bean updates for its fleet of Android devices. In addition to confirming the already confirmed One S and One X Jelly Bean updates, the manufacturer says it's looking at updates for the rest of its 2012 portfolio on a device-by-device basis. However, two 2012 HTC devices that'll remain on Ice Cream Sandwich are the One V and Desire C. Both phones feature just 512MB of RAM, an apparent barrier to running Jelly Bean and HTC Sense.

And interestingly, HTC says it plans to release "generic development ROMs" for devs, based upon Jelly Bean for the One X and One S. Unfortunately, there's not much info on exactly what form these will take, or whether they'll be based on vanilla Android or HTC's Sense software. We've reached out to HTC for clarification, and will keep you posted with any new info they provide.

I wonder if that's stock with Sense or stock Android in general. Either way that would be the perfect ROM leak for flashers IMO.

Vanillalite

Android Central

HTC One X+ and One VX hit AT&T Nov 16; One X+ pre-orders start tomorrow

AT&T has finally announced the availability of the HTC One X+, as well as the HTC One VX, on their press site this afternoon. The One X+ (check our review of the European version) will be available in stores and online starting November 16, for $199.99 with a new agreement, and pre-orders start tomorrow (November 13). The One VX will be priced at just $49.99 with a new agreement, and also be made available starting November 16.

Still don't see why you'd get the VX unless it was free/penny phone. If you have to pay any cash out might as well pay the $99 and get the One X instead (or a competitor phone like the Lumia 920).

Android Central

HTC One X+ and One VX hit AT&T Nov 16; One X+ pre-orders start tomorrow

Still don't see why you'd get the VX unless it was free/penny phone. If you have to pay any cash out might as well pay the $99 and get the One X instead (or a competitor phone like the Lumia 920).

I keep saying the same thing over and over...mid-tier phones don't make sense. especially not with all the great deals from 3rd party sellers like amazon and best buy.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Google play update just created new playlists for me, based on my music collection

Never stop being creepy google

Google play update just created new playlists for me, based on my music collection

Never stop being creepy google

yeah it makes it based on your "favorite" songs lol

what is gapless playback again? is it for albums that don't have space in between songs like Snoop Dogg's Doggystyle?

Vanillalite

Still true even throttled

AnandTech shows the One X pulling ahead and that's not even the One X+ nor am I sure if that's a One X running ICS or Jelly Bean. Granted that's CPU.

S4 Pro wins on the GPU though supposedly JB offers quiet a GPU jump for the Tegra based One X, and none of this shows the One X+.

AnandTech shows the One X pulling ahead and that's not even the One X+ nor am I sure if that's a One X running ICS or Jelly Bean. Granted that's CPU.

S4 Pro wins on the GPU though supposedly JB offers quiet a GPU jump for the Tegra based One X, and none of this shows the One X+.

no need point to updrade to a One X+?

just wait for other s4 pro phones to show up..

gcubed

Ouch. Didn't know they were that low. That processor (or the pre release 4) has some issues

Cipherr

Just for you 2 people that hold out for hardware keyboards.

Phandroid

Samsung Galaxy Stratosphere 2 officially announced for Verizon; coming soon for $130

Keyboards are done for me... Done.. But its nice to see some manus still making them for those that insist.

I keep saying the same thing over and over...mid-tier phones don't make sense. especially not with all the great deals from 3rd party sellers like amazon and best buy.

I dunno, I would like to see a clearer picture of how many these mid tier phones sell. Ill bet they still move respectable numbers. I think we just tend to get caught up in the bubble of the flagships and dont think about the average person who just wants a new phone that wont cost much more than a family night out to dinner.

Vanillalite

no need point to updrade to a One X+?

just wait for other s4 pro phones to show up..

Need to solve the heat problem with quad cores on a phone. The phone size is hindering quad cores people shit is getting to hot. This has been an issue with the One X Tegra version since launch, and it's an issue with the S4 Pro. Hell look at all the complaints about the iPad running hot.

We seem to be at a slight bump in the road IMO.

Need to solve the heat problem with quad cores on a phone. The phone size is hindering quad cores people shit is getting to hot. This has been an issue with the One X Tegra version since launch, and it's an issue with the S4 Pro. Hell look at all the complaints about the iPad running hot.

We seem to be at a slight bump in the road IMO.

can they undervolt to get the heat to decrease, or do i need a bit of schooling before talking about processors

jokkir

Whoa, you can open up the clock app in 4.1+ by touching the time in the notification drawer. Been using Jellybean for a while now and only realized this today >__>

EDIT - nvm, it seems to be a CM10 feature >__>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom