• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talon

Can any one explain to me why you can 4-5 color options for WP8 phones but rarely any for Android phones?
Microsoft as a platform holder clearly asked for it to differentiate..

Carriers - the real platform holders of Android - never asked for it.

tino

Banned

Why are the carriers willing to go through the trouble of carrying multiple SKU for WP8 phones?

Why can't I have a Cyan Nexus 4?

Can any one explain to me why you can 4-5 color options for WP8 phones but rarely any for Android phones?

Last I checked, there are only two colors of iPhone. This doesn't have a lot to do with Android.

The GSIII is available in multiple colors, at any rate.

Carriers have fuck-all to do with this.

Thank goodness I kept my Galaxy Tab 2 7.0

A firmware update that purports to be a "stability update" made my default Internet browsing experience much more reliable. The keyboard also feels great now. If only all updates were THIS useful.

(I wouldn't touch Chrome no matter what computer I'm on. Iffy and crashy on computers, too slow on my tablet.)

Guess I just lost any reason to sell it now.

elyetis

they don't have a Wacom digitizer inside though, and that's also why the screen's res is so low.
That's my problem, what attract me the most lead to it's weakness. I got to love drawing on my note and i can only imagine how a 10 screen woukd make it even better.

But at that price a 10 tablet with the same resolution as my 1 years old phone is kind of hard to take.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
droid-dna-evleaks.jpg

ep85

Well let's go another 5 years with the same HTC design

Well to be fair the Droid DNA is still kinda part of the One era phones. If HTC comes out with the HTC Two looking like the same shit with a new coat of paint then we can start complaining.

In 2014 HTC will release their inevitable 7 inch phone (that's where we'll be android wise right?), and it'll look like a giant version of that. Oh and it'll be sporting an amazing 1750mah battery.

ep85

In 2014 HTC will release their inevitable 7 inch phone (that's where we'll be android wise right?), and it'll look like a giant version of that. Oh and it'll be sporting an amazing 1750mah battery.

Haha, but we'll have really efficient mobile CPUs so it'll be okay...

Seriously who does HTC have working on these phones...not one person besides the hardware design guy has any clue what is going on...

And the hardware design guy is on the barrier because he can only come up with a new design every 2 or 3 years

zedge

HTC should just give up on Android and go exclusive to Windows Phone. Its like two different companies making phones.

I really like HTC. I was going to get the One X till I found out it was a 16gb non expandable hd. They do everything so well, but there's always 1 thing they fuck up on and it's enough to make me not buy anything of theirs.

Doopliss

I wish the subscriptions feed in the YouTube app was better. Videos should be cleared from it when you've fully watched them and you should be able to permanently dismiss any videos you're just not interested in. That would make it way easier for me to find videos I actually want to watch. It should also sync viewing progress between devices.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I really like the One X for what it is and the price I paid. Plus Sense actually doesn't suck on ICS finally.

That being said the One X/HTC like all non nexus devices still has that issue of it taking FOREVER to update to the next version of Android. That's the big minus. It's also worth noting the One X in the US aka the One XL had less issues than the global One X compared to the competition. The Tegra 3 chipset in the international version provided a lot of problems. The S4 hasn't had those issues.

Cipherr

Is this new?

Motorola VP details “Test Drive” allowing users early access to software updates

http://androidcommunity.com/motorol...rs-early-access-to-software-updates-20121109/
Motorola‘s on a roll this afternoon. Earlier they announced Android 4.1 Jelly Bean was rolling out to the DROID RAZR M, and today they’ve confirmed their plans to refine and speed up the software update process, and make fewer and bigger bets on awesome hardware. Then they mentioned a new program called “Test Drive” which will allow customers early access to major software updates.

Today in a blog post Motorola’s VP Punit Soni had a few awesome new updates and details for all you Motorola users. Everything mentioned above and more is detailed in the blog post linked to above. Back in September Motorola announced that moving forward they’d be a “New Motorola” when they added Google staffer Dennis Woodside as their CEO — and now we’re slowly seeing the benefits.

It’s nice to hear one of their new top priorities is delivering quality and timely software updates, but the new test drive feature is something we’re excited about. Motorola previously had their “Feedback Network” where a select few could soak test software updates, but this looks to be a much improved system moving forward.

Starting with Android 4.2 Jelly Bean Motorola will begin their “Test Drive” program. The program isn’t open yet, nor do they have a sign-up page live. We’ll be hearing more on that, and other updates very soon right on their blog said Punit. Speaking of the blog, Motorola also took this time to mention the new and improved Motorola will be focusing on keeping all their customers in the loop with hardware and software. We can expect more info and announcements often right from the Motorola Blog.

Countdown before 'Motoblur' is stripped down and becomes stock Android with an Icon pack and a few custom wallpapers..... They seem to be moving pretty hard in that direction.

Cipherr

Samsung hits Apple with 20% price hike on mobile processors. I wonder if this is part of the reason why Apple is expecting lower profit margins for the future.

Samsung Electronics , the world's largest technology firm by revenue, raised the price of mobile processor supplied to Apple Inc. by 20% recently, Chosun Ilbo reported Monday, citing a person familiar with negotiations between the two tech giants.

"Samsung Electronics recently asked Apple for a significant price raise in (the mobile processor known as) application processor," the person was quoted as saying in the report. "Apple first disapproved it, but finding no replacement supplier, it accepted the (increase.)"

The two firms have started to reflect the new supply price recently, the report added, citing the same person.

According to the report, Apple buys all APs used for production of iPhone and iPad from Samsung Electronics with the volume estimated to be 130 million units last year and more than 200 million units this year.

Samsung Electronics has a long-term contract to supply APs to Apple until 2014, the report added.

Samsung Electronics and Apple's South Korea office declined to comment on the report.

Another 20% per chip, wonder if they are trying to make up for that 1 billion they might lose to them
iseeu.png

Samsung must be amused by the way Apple is desperately trying to detach themselves from this mutually abusive relationship. Apple goes to LG and Sharp for LCD screens, RMBP owners start buying and returning laptops over and over again to get one without the LG screen and Sharp is near bankruptcy. Apple designs their own SoCs, but no one but Samsung can manufacture them. I can't wait to see what happens when the Apple-Foxconn relationship starts to go south.

I have bad news for you, Apple. You are a glorified IP-only design company. You depend on other people to build your shit for you. Maybe you should stop trying to make them into your enemies.

I really like HTC. I was going to get the One X till I found out it was a 16gb non expandable hd. They do everything so well, but there's always 1 thing they fuck up on and it's enough to make me not buy anything of theirs.

I had both the GS3 and One X, I preferred the One X.

when running both CM10, function is the same....

battery was almost the same, give or take on both.

but the screen of the One X did it for me...

that's why I want a variation of the J butterfly on AT&T

panda21

did anyone have screen troubles with their one x?

i noticed a yellow spot on the screen one morning after I had left it charging overnight. during the day it went away and it hasn't come back since, but I noticed if I press lightly on the glass where the spot was, the display changes colour there. it does the same thing all down the other side of the phone too, but no yellow marks there yet.

is this just a problem they all have? do the yellow marks ever become permanent? I'm not sure if I should try to get it replaced or just get a Nexus 4. since the yellow spot has gone I'm not even sure the store would let me replace it.

ScOULaris

I had both the GS3 and One X, I preferred the One X.

when running both CM10, function is the same....

battery was almost the same, give or take on both.

but the screen of the One X did it for me...

that's why I want a variation of the J butterfly on AT&T

How was CM10 on the One X? Was it stable for you?

My wife is gonna get either the S3 or One X on Black Friday, and I'll ultimately be deciding for her. The One X seems to be the nicer phone when it comes to build quality and dimensions, but the S3 seems easier to root/flash and has arguably better support with regard to custom ROMs at the moment.

How was CM10 on the One X? Was it stable for you?

My wife is gonna get either the S3 or One X on Black Friday, and I'll ultimately be deciding for her. The One X seems to be the nicer phone when it comes to build quality and dimensions, but the S3 seems easier to root/flash and has arguably better support with regard to custom ROMs at the moment.

I've had both, and I returned my HOX for the S3 because of the developer support. The community for the S3 is huge and it basically is THE android phone to get if you want to root, etc. (outside of nexus line).

I've had both, and I returned my HOX for the S3 because of the developer support. The community for the S3 is huge and it basically is THE android phone to get if you want to root, etc. (outside of nexus line).

More so than Note 2?

I'm just curious. I haven't paid attention to the rooting scene in a long while. G2 owner here. Patiently waiting for the N4.

Oyashiro

Yeah, Im trying to decide between an S3 or a Note 2, and while the Note 2 seems better hardware-wise, what's keeping me from committing to it is the community support for it. Support for the S3 is HUGE, for the Note 2 its pretty much nonexistant, especially for the carrier versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom