• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahzkrieg

Banned
I just switched to TMO's Value Plan
Which means I'm not eligible for upgrade pricing on phones
And my G2 is getting old and busted

HELP!!

Should I get the Galaxy S II
And put CM10 on it

or

Should I get the Nexus 4 with all of its hardware flaws

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Phandroid

Android 4.2 for the Galaxy Nexus rolling out to some users, now available for manual download

Galaxy-nexus-android-4.2-ota-update.jpg

With the launch of the Nexus 4 only a few short hours away, many of those with “legacy” Galaxy Nexuses are wondering just when they can expect Android 4.2 Jelly Bean to begin rolling out onto their devices. The good news is… right now. Well, for some of you anyway. As one lucky user reported on his Google+ page, it looks like “Google On The Spot,” wasted no time in bringing his Galaxy Nexus the most up-to-date version of the Android. You’ll notice some new features rarely talked about like the magnification gestures. Apparently, this user lives in Canada and is running on stock Takju (the unlocked GSM Galaxy Nexus purchased from the Play Store). Of course, those of you on Sprint or Verizon Wireless have a little more waiting to do. If it hasn’t rolled out to your Takju running Galaxy Nexus, you can manually download straight from Google here.

How come the sound in navigation is sometimes so low?

When I'm playing music, all the time, and navigation is on, the music will fade away and the nav can be heard loud and clear. Sometimes though the sound is so low it can barely be heard. I don't get it.

Just for you 2 people that hold out for hardware keyboards.

Phandroid

Samsung Galaxy Stratosphere 2 officially announced for Verizon; coming soon for $130

who holds out for these mid-range keyboard phones? i remember when kb phones were variants of high end devices...

HELP!!

And put CM10 on it

or

Should I get the Nexus 4 with all of its hardware flaws

Nexus 4. from the Play Store.

Nicktendo86

Well my brother tried to get a Nexus 4 from the UK play store, sold out almost immediately

Edit: on an unrelated note I dropped my galaxy nexus hard on Saturday :( got dents and scuffs all around the grey plastic bezel. Anything incan do to make it look a little better? Any pens or paints u could use to touch it up?

panda21

damn dolphin browser beta is like a whole new world compared to chrome. google get your shit together ffs.

hoping that the launch of 4.2 will mean the launch of swiftkey flow (i'm guessing they announced it in response to that feature being in 4.2...)

fuenf

HELP!!

And put CM10 on it

Hell no, CM sucks on the SII. The SII / SIIIs are the worst phones you could choose if you want to run CM.

Here's how the lock screen widgets work with security set: You can view the widgets, and scroll them. That means you can view Gmail subject lines, and the first line or so of the e-mail. Same for the stock text messaging app. And that worries the hell out of us. Ditto for the calendar widget. You can't read the full text, but summaries are there.

Particularly troubling is that this exposes things like secondary verification codes from sources like Google's two-step authentication. Not the sort of thing we want to see happen.

Repeat: Subject lines and the first few words of an e-mail or text message are all visible in the widget even if you have a security lock set. Consider yourselves warned.

Lock screen widgets work, and they work well – but there also are some troubling security concerns

doesn't sound all that bad really...

gcubed

Guys,

Whats Google Music like? Going to install it later but it sounds pretty awesome from what I've read so far.

it works extremely well... the worst part, until it gets fixed with their new "match" system, is uploading all your music.

Has non-US even gotten the Google Music phone player? Thats such a step above the old one

JudgeN

who holds out for these mid-range keyboard phones? i remember when kb phones were variants of high end devices...

QWERTY users don't have a choice anymore, there isn't a single high end variant anymore. Not only that it seems like each carrier only gets 1 QWERTY phone every 9 months or so. Its a shame considering the OG droid started this whole android thing and now they abandon the QWERTY market.

Will get the Samsung Galaxy Stratosphere II for my wife as the droid 3 has been complete shit for her.

QWERTY users don't have a choice anymore, there isn't a single high end variant anymore. Not only that it seems like each carrier only gets 1 QWERTY phone every 9 months or so. Its a shame considering the OG droid started this whole android thing and now they abandon the QWERTY market.

Will get the Samsung Galaxy Stratosphere II for my wife as the droid 3 has been complete shit for her.

Sprint has had 3 in the past quarter! Kyocera Rise. Motorola Photon Q. LG Mach!

How are 2 step authentication codes exposed?
3rd paragraph.

Doopliss

I've tried adding a few albums to Google Music in the UK. It definitely isn't doing any track matching for me, just uploading them. Maybe I messed it up by signing up through a proxy before...

Allowing you to view and interact with widgets without having to unlock your phone is exactly what we expected it to do, isn't it? Looks a bit buggy, though.

gcubed

I've tried adding a few albums to Google Music in the UK. It definitely isn't doing any track matching for me, just uploading them. Maybe I messed it up by signing up through a proxy before...

Allowing you to view and interact with widgets without having to unlock your phone is exactly what we expected it to do, isn't it? Looks a bit buggy, though.

yeah, i would expect an announcement when the matching goes live. It seemed like almost an afterthought too in some press releases... i wish we had that damn conference.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Android Central: HTC and Verizon announce the Droid DNA

The Droid DNA goes up for pre-order today, priced at $199 with a service agreement from Verizon. The device will be released next Wednesday, Nov. 21.

Specs:

Camera: 8MP, f/2.0, 28mm wide angle lens, smart LTE flash, BSI sensor, autofocus, HTC ImageChip and 1080p HD video recorder; 2.1MP front-facing camera with BSI sensor and 1080p video recorder.

Display: 5-inch HD 1080p Super LCD 3 screen (1920x1080); 440PPI

Processor: 1.5GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 APQ8064 and MDM9615m

Memory: 16GB eMMC, (11GB usable storage), 2 GB RAM

Battery: 2020mAh lithium ion - embedded

Network Technology: 4G LTE, CDMA, Quad GSM, Quad UMTS

Wifi: 802.11 a/b/g/n

Dimensions: 141 x 70.5 x 9.73 mm

Weight: 138 grams / 4.86 ounces

Additional features: NFC, HDMI via MHL, HTML5, Bluetooth 4.0 aptX, microUSB, microSIM, headset and speaker amplifiers, 3.5mm 2.55v stereo audio jack, dual microphone noise cancellation, embedded wireless charging, G-sensor, ambient light sensor, digital compass, proximity sensor, gyro sensor.

gcubed

Memory: 16GB eMMC, (11GB usable storage), 2 GB RAM

2GB of RAM only? EOL after Jelly Bean confirmed. They will need 4gb of RAM to run Sense 5 and Key Lime Pie.

HTC to start making blackberry devices.

Donos

Oh god htc is a joke now. Release a phone which screams high end and then put only in 16GB with no microsd? One x has 32gb. Seriously what happened to htc.
Wasn't the rumor of the jesus phone that it had 64GB?

Sarye

Oh god htc is a joke now. Release a phone which screams high end and then put only in 16GB with no microsd? One x has 32gb. Seriously what happened to htc.
Wasn't the rumor of the jesus phone that it had 64GB?

Rumor is, carriers are forcing phone companies to do that. Low storage, no expansion + Tiered Plans = $$$

Samsung can get away with it since they are the biggest cellphone maker. HTC can't afford not to play by Verizon's rules.

/speculation

tino

Banned
Rumor is, carriers are forcing phone companies to do that. Low storage, no expansion + Tiered Plans = $$$

Samsung can get away with it since they are the biggest cellphone maker. HTC can't afford not to play by Verizon's rules.

/speculation

HTC and Sony do it in oversea prepaid markets too. Don't excuse them.

gimmmick

What a beast of a phone, but cheese on rice... only 16 gigs and a 2000 mha battery? =\ Have fun playing catch up to samsung all year htc.

tino

Banned
Last week Huawei's Chairman's Weibo (Chinese version of Twitter) mentioned a potential 6" 1080p phone.

It may even come before the Galaxy Note 3.

I would just like to say that it is a hugely missed opportunity that when you have multiple user accounts on a device, that there isn't just a general face-unlock that unlocks the correct user profile for the correct face.

Or am I missing something?

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Anyway to upload music from my phone to Google Music other than moving it to my computer and uploading it from there?

Oyashiro

Can you explain? Because I was planning on an S3 with CM10 :|

Yeah, I actually purchased a SIII online last night and am planning on putting CM10 on it in a few weeks. I've never heard any complaints about it on the SIII, so not sure where that's coming from.

Mahzkrieg

Banned
Watched some videos showing off CM10 on the SIII.
Looks great to me.

My other plan is to get a Nexus 4 and just switch to SIMPLE MOBILE

Donos

Maybe there is a 32/64GB version heading to europe with the "one" name. They said that they would keep the One name as flagship brand. Well, it just looks like a bigger One X. One XXL?

Can you explain? Because I was planning on an S3 with CM10 :|

Yeah, I actually purchased a SIII online last night and am planning on putting CM10 on it in a few weeks. I've never heard any complaints about it on the SIII, so not sure where that's coming from.

I've been running CM10 on my s3 since late July, and I've loved every minute of it. There's only been a few niggles here and there but that's expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom