• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chrome on 4.2 is definitely an improvement on my nexus 7. It's not perfect yet, but it handles the verge desktop site way better than it did on 4.1. I'm much happier with my tablet browsing experience. In addition the Google plus app is smoother too.

HawkeyeIC

Chrome on 4.2 is definitely an improvement on my nexus 7. It's not perfect yet, but it handles the verge desktop site way better than it did on 4.1. I'm much happier with my tablet browsing experience. In addition the Google plus app is smoother too.

Glad to hear that Chrome is improving. My main want for 5.0 is a browser on par with Safari for iOS.

Do you know if they are they going to base CM10 on 4.1 or 4.2?

the latest stable release was based on 4.1.2 but they will move on to 4.2 as soon as the AOSP push is done.

Android 4.2 is getting the OTA treatment from the powers that be. We eagerly await the source to hit the AOSP repos. When it does, we will begin the task of defining what is new, what has changed, and what CM features should stay (or go). We already anticipate removing the CM enhancements to the Clock app (Google made their own), and enhancing the Quick Settings (most likely not porting over the Notification Power Widgets). However, these assessments are preliminary, and won't be finalized until MR1, or whatever tag is used, has the source to go with it.

Edit: Oh and yes, before its asked, 4.2 will be CM 10.1 (not CM11).
+CyanogenMod

I sometimes can't believe the opportunities Google is missing even amid their huge push to be a media store and social hub.

For example, why not have as part of the people app, or in other places you can see your friends, a status of what song they're listening to or what movie they're watching. Then you can click it and see its entry in the Play Store. (And it will be controlled with Latitude-type privacy settings.)

It seems like a no brainer to me.

Edit: Did I just read that Safari for iOS is some kind of standard for browsers? I'm a iOS fan, but yikes.

I sometimes can't believe the opportunities Google is missing even amid their huge push to be a media store and social hub.

For example, why not have as part of the people app, or in other places you can see your friends, a status of what song they're listening to or what movie they're watching. Then you can click it and see its entry in the Play Store. (And it will be controlled with Latitude-type privacy settings.)

It seems like a no brainer to me.

Edit: Did I just read that Safari for iOS is some kind of standard for browsers? I'm a iOS fan, but yikes.

Apparently a lot of their shit is absolutely the best...just ask BGR.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Verizon:

droid-dna-amazon-app-suite.jpg

Sure, HTC and Verizon may have given us the long awaited pricing and launch date details for the Droid DNA, but it omitted one tidbit that we'd heard of before: Amazon's App Suite. Starting with the DNA, select Android devices on Big Red -- presumably those that aren't of the "Google Experience" flavor -- will come loaded with the Amazon-focused pane on their home screens. Though a handful of Verizon phones are already pre-loaded with Audible, Zappos and Amazon's MP3, Kindle and Shopping apps, the suite will roll them up into one experience for easy access. By signing in with your existing Amazon account, content ranging from Kindle novels to Amazon Prime videos will be at your fingertips. In addition, the Seattle-based retailer's complete selection of products are just an impulse buy away through the app. Hit the jump to check out the mobile storefront in action.

Verizon

Verizon:

droid-dna-amazon-app-suite.jpg

Sure, HTC and Verizon may have given us the long awaited pricing and launch date details for the Droid DNA, but it omitted one tidbit that we'd heard of before: Amazon's App Suite. Starting with the DNA, select Android devices on Big Red -- presumably those that aren't of the "Google Experience" flavor -- will come loaded with the Amazon-focused pane on their home screens. Though a handful of Verizon phones are already pre-loaded with Audible, Zappos and Amazon's MP3, Kindle and Shopping apps, the suite will roll them up into one experience for easy access. By signing in with your existing Amazon account, content ranging from Kindle novels to Amazon Prime videos will be at your fingertips. In addition, the Seattle-based retailer's complete selection of products are just an impulse buy away through the app. Hit the jump to check out the mobile storefront in action.

Verizon

the same celco that brought you Bing search as default. nothing to see here. no amazon cloud player, no care.

iOS browsers are way better than android chrome in terms of smoothness. Google wins on features, apple wins on fluidity. If chrome were as smooth as the browsers on iOS devices, it would truly be the beast of beasts. Also iOS browsers also have the whole user agent thing in their favour, whereas on chrome for android you still can't view tons of content on the internet, even though it's perfectly capable.

TheTowel

Gifs were the only thing keeping me attached to chrome. Then, I switched back to the stock browser and haven't looked back. Full screen + smooth and quick wins.

To be fair if you have a Nexus 7 then it matters.

couple things here:

1. You can get the stock browser on the Nexus 7 pretty easily (with a working flash plugin as well)

2. As of JB 4.2 Chrome is the default stock browser on all of the Nexus line (yes even the 4), and I believe AOSP (though i may be mistaken on the AOSP part)

I got my 4.2 update on the my Gnex an hour ago. Anyone else get prompted?

I got it. I don't like it much.

The camera interface is nicer but when you slide to the the right the background is now an ugly grey instead of black. It looks like I have a crappy LCD screen.

The notification shade is also uglier. The top black part is too distinctive from the rest. Much better looking how it used to be. They also added an unnecessary darker grey rectangle at the bottom.

The new gallery app is also uglier.

Also the swype keyboard is not that accurate. It catches 8/10 words but it's just not at the level Swype is at.

The new lockscreen is also ugly imo.

Ugly everywhere basically.

one more thing I noticed. Google went back to displaying two times on the lock screen. Are you kidding me .___.

for shame duarte

edit:

and the disappointment just don't stop. I didn't think Google could make the music lock screen any uglier but they worked countless sleepless nights and came up with this.

All hail lord googy

one more thing I noticed. Google went back to displaying two times on the lock screen. Are you kidding me .___.

for shame duarte

yeah that double time (and not even same minutes!) looks pretty ridiculous...

honestly that would never make it past iphone bug testers i don't think.

wonder if it is because of a certain app?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
yeah that double time (and not even same minutes!) looks pretty ridiculous...

honestly that would never make it past iphone bug testers i don't think.

wonder if it is because of a certain app?

What do you mean not the same minutes?

I don't think you understand what he is complaining about.

I also don't think having the time repeat in the status bar and large on the lock screen is a big deal at all.

wario

the lockscreen widgets feel a little half-baked. just thrown together quickly just to get it out the door.

fully expect them to refine it on the next OS update.

DXPett1

The camera interface is nicer but when you slide to the the right the background is now an ugly grey instead of black. It looks like I have a crappy LCD screen.

The notification shade is also uglier. The top black part is too distinctive from the rest. Much better looking how it used to be. They also added an unnecessary darker grey rectangle at the bottom.

Also the swype keyboard is not that accurate. It catches 8/10 words but it's just not at the level Swype is at.

Dammit, now I notice all of this. Someone at Google fell in love with the grey color...

I'll disagree on the keyboard. It works amazingly well for me and it blew me away that two fingers works (not as well but that is because I am not as accurate)

New lockscreen is terrible IMO, as someone mentioned before the widgets really feel tacked on.

Clock app is a big improvement and finally there is a stopwatch and timer app.

Camera looks ok, but yeah the grey on the gallery-swipe isn't good.

Notifications are worse than before now I need another touch/press so I can get into settings.

Also quick notifications don't work CM-style wich is a disappointment.

----

Overall the update is so-so, some stuff is better but unfortunately I feel some things have gotten worse...

Ugh. Is there a reason they haven't included this feature?

gonna guess it's because Big Music licensing deals dictate that uploads can only happen from a PC

To be fair if you have a Nexus 7 then it matters.

why? because you're locked to one browser as default that can't be changed?

New lockscreen is terrible IMO, as someone mentioned before the widgets really feel tacked on.

Clock app is a big improvement and finally there is a stopwatch and timer app.

Camera looks ok, but yeah the grey on the gallery-swipe isn't good.

Notifications are worse than before now I need another touch/press so I can get into settings.

Also quick notifications don't work CM-style wich is a disappointment.

----

Overall the update is so-so, some stuff is better but unfortunately I feel some things have gotten worse...

CM10 better tweak the crap out of the 'quick' settings.

CM10 better tweak the crap out of the 'quick' settings.

And the lockscreen widgets could also use some tweaking. IMO CM10 had nailed lockscreen info before pretty good (upcoming events and weather info as simple text)

I played around with photosphere a bit now and it feels good and easy to make decent pictures.

Lockscreen kinda feels slower now (it takes a little bit longer to show up), when pressing the power button...

Nicktendo86

the lockscreen widgets feel a little half-baked. just thrown together quickly just to get it out the door.

fully expect them to refine it on the next OS update.
This. Why the hell can't I have more than one widget on one screen? Live other parts of this update though, especially when you install apps from unknown sources and get a full breakdown of what that app can do to your system. My old galaxy nexus is running as smooth as silk as well. Oh, love the little improvement they made to the recent menu

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
couple things here:

1. You can get the stock browser on the Nexus 7 pretty easily (with a working flash plugin as well)

2. As of JB 4.2 Chrome is the default stock browser on all of the Nexus line (yes even the 4), and I believe AOSP (though i may be mistaken on the AOSP part)

Isn't that a misnomer then in #1 as Chrome IS the stock browser now according to #2. :p

I get what you mean though. :p

As for people asking why it's relevant well since Chrome is the stock browser that'll be the browser most people try out with the system at least at first. So obviously any improvements there would be welcome.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Oh the web is a buzz from people saying the T-Mobile version of the GS3 is getting Jelly Bean pushed to them.

2 down with the big 2 still to come then at least in the US. Supposedly AT&T is going to maybe push their update before Thanksgiving next week, but we shall see.

PS: Meanwhile HTC you need to get on your shizzy!!

Donos

Oh the web is a buzz from people saying the T-Mobile version of the GS3 is getting Jelly Bean pushed to them.

2 down with the big 2 still to come then at least in the US. Supposedly AT&T is going to maybe push their update before Thanksgiving next week, but we shall see.

PS: Meanwhile HTC you need to get on your shizzy!!

One X and One S devices in Yurop are scheduled for a mid-end November Jellybean update. 19. Nov is a rumored date for branding free phones.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium

I agree. Only thing I like is the new camera features. The new pull down settings and lock screen are a step back.

HildyB

Can you explain? Because I was planning on an S3 with CM10 :|

Yeah, I actually purchased a SIII online last night and am planning on putting CM10 on it in a few weeks. I've never heard any complaints about it on the SIII, so not sure where that's coming from.

I've been running CM10 on my s3 since late July, and I've loved every minute of it. There's only been a few niggles here and there but that's expected.

Odds are the originator of the comment doesn't own a S3 or know anyone who does and runs CM10.

I echo PwnCakes. I've had an S3 since it came out, I love it. I've used a dozen roms and keep going back to one ICS ROM when I get bored (WanamLite) and the CM10 releases. IT has had rocky patches, but depending on the carrier you can get some really nice and stable releases. I run ATT which is probably the most troublesome since ATT has not leaked their JB rom. CM10 is a solid daily driver. It has a couple issues which you need to work around but it has only gotten better. For a free service, its fantastic. If you root, be aware you are a beta tester. But if you rooted, odds are you love this sort of thing anyway :)

Odds are the originator of the comment doesn't own a S3 or know anyone who does and runs CM10.

I echo PwnCakes. I've had an S3 since it came out, I love it. I've used a dozen roms and keep going back to one ICS ROM when I get bored (WanamLite) and the CM10 releases. IT has had rocky patches, but depending on the carrier you can get some really nice and stable releases. I run ATT which is probably the most troublesome since ATT has not leaked their JB rom. CM10 is a solid daily driver. It has a couple issues which you need to work around but it has only gotten better. For a free service, its fantastic. If you root, be aware you are a beta tester. But if you rooted, odds are you love this sort of thing anyway :)

A perfect way to state this. The minute you install a custom ROM a whole new world sorta opens up to you. It's up to you which ROM you want and what you want it to focus on. CM10 gives me a good mix of everything I wanted in a ROM with minimal issues, which is amazing because some devices still can barely even run CM10 with the low amount of problems we've ran into.

I actually have never even ran Touchwiz, the minute I got the phone I rooted it and put CM10 on it. Maybe one day I'll try Touchwiz and see how bloated it is, but with 4.2 on the horizon I can't see myself switching back

Who gives a shit about chrome when stock JB browser is better than it.
All this talk about chrome is kind of surprising to me. I thought it was thought of highly as a mobile browser. I'm coming from safari on iOS so I hope I don't notice much of any difference.

I asked this in the nexus thread but maybe it's better fit here:

So, I have my iCal, Notes, and Address Book on my Mac syncing to the gmail equivalent now.

Only thing I don't know how to sync is the reminders app. What is the google/android equivalent of that? Also, is google notes only found within gmail or is there a separate google notes app that can sync with the mac notes app?

tino

Banned
ICS Browser/ICS Browser+ is much better than Chrome on Android.

Chrome on Android has nothing to do with Chrome on x86.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom