• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Glad to hear that Chrome is improving. My main want for 5.0 is a browser on par with Safari for iOS.

You just need to install the AOSP browser and you have something better than Safari. Chrome is garbage.

Posted from my iPad

All this talk about chrome is kind of surprising to me. I thought it was thought of highly as a mobile browser. I'm coming from safari on iOS so I hope I don't notice much of any difference.
As someone that uses both iOS and Android at the same time, it's not so bad that it'll bug you a lot or turn you off. BUT, it is noticable enough that you'll think about it, at least until you get used to it. I use both OSs at the same time so I don't really get used to it much, but I've made peace with it, google still needs to step it up.

It's just little things like not reacting to the touch fast enough you press links, the amount of time it takes for text to recalibrate (or whatever) when you zoom in and out, scrolling during certain times, etc...just a lot of little things.

Chrome still has better features than safari, it's why I use chrome on iOS as well. Just wish chrome on android was as good as chrome on iOS smoothness wise. They've made strides though, but still not there.

ICS Browser/ICS Browser+ is much better than Chrome on Android.

Chrome on Android has nothing to do with Chrome on x86.

i was thinking this exact same thing... someone said something about chrome being a viable app platform and i'm thinking...chrome on android doesn't even have apps...

at least i think that's what you were thinking...

Chairhome

Finally installed CM10 on my HTC One S. Wow, its amazing. I missed CM. I wonder how this will compare to my Nexus 4 when it comes in.

Lockscreen kinda feels slower now (it takes a little bit longer to show up), when pressing the power button...

Its also slower when turning off the screen. There's an obvious pause after pushing the power button.

Some things seem faster, but animations sometimes get janky. Gnex is showing its age.

I hate how the new clock app looks( who thought ALARMS in all red looked good?) but the way the alarm works is now better. You can slide to left to snooze and right to dismiss. Much better and mimics the phone.

Finally installed CM10 on my HTC One S. Wow, its amazing. I missed CM. I wonder how this will compare to my Nexus 4 when it comes in.

because of the thermal throttling it will probably be on par with performance lol...

but cm10/aokp is so great right now. i'm getting a lot of stable releases on my one X(L)

EDIT:
would a flagship phone with 64gb of onboard memory be too much to ask for? honestly if i had that i wouldn't need a microSD slot...i know most people wouldn't use it, but memory and battery (and LTE, looking at you Google, you could have put some ATT LTE up in that Nex4) seem to be the only two things manufacturers keep skimping on that at least some people want.

Not even talking Nexus though, everyone is missing this, except for maybe Apple, they at least give you the choice. Too bad iOS is just not my cup of tea

I think the main thing with iOS is that i kinda need a file system that i can control, not one that is laid out for me. have to have control of my own products i think.

Bit of help please...

For some reason the app I used to use for playing movies from my local server has been turned into a bag of wank by a recent update. Can anyone suggest a good player which will work over the network / a UPnP layer?

I just tried UPnPlay and the video app seemed to stop half way through which isn't great.

So any one have issues with every GIFs lagging in every browser? My iPhone 4 displays them nice but Android just seems to chug, is there a reason why?

Just tried DicePlayer. Doesn't seem to.

what about bubbleupnp? on the play store

edit:
So any one have issues with every GIFs lagging in every browser? My iPhone 4 displays them nice but Android just seems to chug, is there a reason why?

have you tried every browser?

Android Browser
Chrome
ICS Browser+
Dolphin HD
XScope
Firefox
Firefox Beta
Aurora (new Firefox beta?)
Opera

and the wealth of other me too browsers on the play store? To be honest I haven't had any issues with GIF's...

what about bubbleupnp? on the play store

edit:

have you tried every browser?

Android Browser
Chrome
ICS Browser+
Dolphin HD
XScope
Firefox
Firefox Beta
Aurora (new Firefox beta?)
Opera

and the wealth of other me too browsers on the play store? To be honest I haven't had any issues with GIF's...

Bolded I have tried, will try the rest, thanks :D

Its also slower when turning off the screen. There's an obvious pause after pushing the power button.

Some things seem faster, but animations sometimes get janky. Gnex is showing its age.

I hate how the new clock app looks( who thought ALARMS in all red looked good?) but the way the alarm works is now better. You can slide to left to snooze and right to dismiss. Much better and mimics the phone
Its also an issue on Nexus 7 there is this slight delay and its annoying...ugh and I have noticed that apparently there is no indicator for text input anymore wtf?

Quake1028

Quick question: my job is selling a lightly used XOOM 10.1 32GB with cover for $200. Worth it for my brother, who is currently without a tablet?

tino

Banned
About the price you pay on the daily deal sites.

Office Depot is selling the 9" Lenovo a2109 for 200 on Black Friday. So same ball park.

MNC

So conflicted. With the news of the Nexus 4 not coming to NL and all the little bad news quirks (they're scaring me) I just want to go for a Galaxy Nexus or a Galaxy S3. What are some of the main hardware differences (SD cards? battery life?) The Galaxy Nexus received 4.2 today and it's basically such a sexy phone... But I'm worried it's already at the end of its lifespan and I wonder if I should jump on it or not. If the S3, I'll root and put stock rom on it asap because I loathe touchwiz.

catmincer

because of the thermal throttling it will probably be on par with performance lol...

but cm10/aokp is so great right now. i'm getting a lot of stable releases on my one X(L)

EDIT:
would a flagship phone with 64gb of onboard memory be too much to ask for? honestly if i had that i wouldn't need a microSD slot...i know most people wouldn't use it, but memory and battery (and LTE, looking at you Google, you could have put some ATT LTE up in that Nex4) seem to be the only two things manufacturers keep skimping on that at least some people want.

Not even talking Nexus though, everyone is missing this, except for maybe Apple, they at least give you the choice. Too bad iOS is just not my cup of tea

I think the main thing with iOS is that i kinda need a file system that i can control, not one that is laid out for me. have to have control of my own products i think.

HTC One X+? IIRC it's got 64GB of memory in it.

So conflicted. With the news of the Nexus 4 not coming to NL and all the little bad news quirks (they're scaring me) I just want to go for a Galaxy Nexus or a Galaxy S3. What are some of the main hardware differences (SD cards? battery life?) The Galaxy Nexus received 4.2 today and it's basically such a sexy phone... But I'm worried it's already at the end of its lifespan and I wonder if I should jump on it or not. If the S3, I'll root and put stock rom on it asap because I loathe touchwiz.

#SuperNexus Galaxy S III

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
Texas Instruments to lay off 1,700 employees in cost-cutting move as it exits the smartphone processor market

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/14/3646450/texas-instruments-1700-job-cuts

Texas Instruments already indicated that it would be existing the smartphone processor manufacturing business, and now the company has announced it plans to cut some 1,700 jobs worldwide as it looks to save money during its transition. In a press release, TI's senior vice president of embedded processing Greg Delagi said that "we have a great opportunity to reshape our OMAP processor and wireless connectivity product lines to concentrate on embedded markets," a definite change of pace from OMAP 5's planned usage in smartphones and tablets. As for the job cuts, TI says that its new direction "require fewer resources and less investment," and that TI expects to save about $450 million by the end of 2013, a pretty significant chunk of change. This news comes just a few days after TI outlined its plans to push the OMAP 5 chipset into "industrial" applications like point of service and portable data terminals. It's less competitive than the smartphone silicone marketplace — but unfortunately the move made a good number of jobs expendable.

It is a shame that we will have less companies competing in this space. Plus that is quite a few lay-offs. I had thought that the OMAP 5 was supposed to be competitive as well?

HTC One X+? IIRC it's got 64GB of memory in it.

yeah but it's no longer a flagship, and i think it only has 32GB in the US and it's on AT&T only, which is fine i have AT&T, and 32GB is great(!) but, it's yesterdays hardware...

need me an s4 pro now lol, (i'll take it w/o the thermal throttling thanks) oh and it doesn't even have 2gb ram ( i know it probably is not a big difference from 1gb or 1.5gb, but it makes me feel all warm inside, and that feeling is worth my dollars. at least to me.

also, supernexus? maybe i should just get an S3 off contract now, and then wait happily with a 64gb microsd until the S4 comes out...

i dunno, i could stick with the One X- at least until then, aokp makes this phone great again.

Innovation Of The Year: Google Now

It seems innocent at first: Fire up the search app on a new Android phone, and the interface asks if you’d like to activate Google Now. “Sure,” you think, “Google already has my calendar, location, and contacts; what’s one more thing?” Here’s what: Google Now draws a distinct technological line. On the side you’re on now, you tell your devices what you want to do. On the far side, the devices do the telling. Google Now is waiting for you over there. It’s the first virtual assistant that truly anticipates your needs. All you have to do is opt in.

Google Now runs in the background of the latest Android operating system (Jelly Bean 4.1) and quietly keeps track of searches, calendar events, locations, and travel patterns. It then synthesizes all that info and alerts you—either through notifications in the menu bar or cards on the search screen—of transit alerts for your commute, box scores for your favorite sports team, nearby watering holes, and more. You can assume it will someday suggest a lot more.
Voice interfaces like Siri seem outdated by comparison. With Google Now, you don’t pull the phone out when an idea occurs to you. You pull it out when an idea occurs to it.

Doopliss

So good. I love CM10. Yeah I think this is going to be it. Need to do some hardware research on the S3 though; and I think the Galaxy Nexus looks prettier though... Though the S3 is prettier than the S2.
I suggest avoiding Exynos devices if you plan on using AOSP-based ROMs. One of the main Exynos 4 (GS2/Note 1 etc.) device maintainers has been writing a series of posts on Google+ over the past couple of weeks about how poorly he feels Samsung have supported the open-source community. Starts here, if you care to get a sense of the misery.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I suggest avoiding Exynos devices if you plan on using AOSP-based ROMs. One of the main Exynos 4 (GS2/Note 1 etc.) device maintainers has been writing a series of posts on Google+ over the past couple of weeks about how poorly he feels Samsung have supported the open-source community. Starts here, if you care to get a sense of the misery.

Only the international s3 is exynos though.

giga

You just need to install the AOSP browser and you have something better than Safari. Chrome is garbage.

Posted from my iPad
I assume this is the browser we need to install: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1990292

It's odd that they include it in the AOSP rom, but not in shipping devices. They should give us a choice.

Question about installing APKs--how are they updated? Can they be updated from Google Play if they weren't installed from there?

GatorBait

Man, the 4.2 clock font is so ugly. Who's idea was to change it from the ICS font?

Is it just me or does 4.2 seem like it was made while Duarte was looking the other way? Defintely a lot of odd aesthetic changes made seemingly for no other reason than just for the sake of change. I hope Duarte lays down the law hard so that we see the same aesthetic/consistency changes made with 4.2 -> 5.0 as we did with 4.0 -> 4.1.

Lock-screen widgets and the quick settings pulldown seem half-baked, too. Some head-scratching omissions made with both of those features. They have a lot of promise if the ability to customize them is increased though.

What do you mean?

Seriously. Did some executive who worked on ICS/4.1 quit or something?

i assume he means the vertical line that tells you where you will be entering text next

and about the clock i think the bold vs non-bold font is pretty ugly...
damn straight. i love google now, just wish it wouldn't give me cards i don't need every 5 mins...lol. have to find a way to make them come up sparingly.
Only the international s3 is exynos though.
get ready for next year when it is all exynos, maybe they will step up dev support when exynos comes back to all US devices...wonder how the note 2 is fairing...i know they release the source, but i wonder if they hold back on all the exynos stuff and make it difficult.
I assume this is the browser we need to install: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1990292

It's odd that they include it in the AOSP rom, but not in shipping devices. They should give us a choice.

Question about installing APKs--how are they updated? Can they be updated from Google Play if they weren't installed from there?

seems like that's the one, but it rarely needs to be updated. it works pretty well, but i think they will stop supporting it soon in favor of chrome, but i thought there were problems with chrome because it wasn't all open-source? oh and no you can't update from Google Play unless it was downloaded from there.

Is it just me or does 4.2 seem like it was made while Duarte was looking the other way? Defintely a lot of odd aesthetic changes made seemingly for no other reason than just for the sake of change. I hope Duarte lays down the law hard so that we see the same aesthetic/consistency changes made with 4.2 -> 5.0 as we did with 4.0 -> 4.1.

Lock-screen widgets and the quick settings pulldown seem half-baked, too. Some head-scratching omissions made with both of those features. They have a lot of promise if the ability to customize them is increased though.

they made those changes to get people to start using Google Now. Guaranteed. If they can get the 70% of people in the smartphone market using Android phones to somehow look up from their texting and use the internet and thus Google Now, they will be set. Turns out most Android users just wanted a cheap phone, and android has had it's open sourceness used up to create cheap phones. aren't most prepaids android now? hopefully they are not still selling the G1... and are making their prepaids from newer handsets like the one v and the galaxy s iii mini and express.

Just installed 4.2 on my Nexus 7.

Have to say it's very disappointing at first glance. Honeycomb aside each major update has also been an upgrade. From dodgy settings notification to ugly lock screen to less responsive performance I'm not sure I can say that this time. I hope we get a special 5.0 in the summer.

edit: ok the swype keyboard seems nice.

Have to say it's very disappointing at first glance. Honeycomb aside each major update has also been an upgrade. From dodgy settings notification to ugly lock screen to less responsive performance I'm not sure I can say that this time. I hope we get a special 5.0 in the summer.

i actually wonder this myself. are they going to go 5.0 with a new Nexus 7 in the summer? or will they have a new nexus 7 and 10? or will they wait until fall for the full 5.0 upgrade with the Nexus 5? their 2nd 7 and 10 inch tablets are just going to be so beastly, i know it.

hopefully they will get the Nexus 5 on AT&T LTE since they will have further built out their network and they don't have any restrictions with unlocked phones on their network.

Also Anandtech says that the Nex 4 could run LTE on AWS bands with the radios it currently has. does AT&T use AWS 700 bands for LTE?? and isn't T-Mobile slated to? technically the Nexus 4 could gain LTE from a software update...crazy...

my prediction for Next Nexus is this (5 inch, 1080p Nexus 5) beyond that i don't know.

they will probably only put 16gb of space in, not learning from the fact that the nexus 10 32gb sold out while the 16gb is still in stock even now.

Just said fuck it and started uploading my collection to google music. Don't know when match is ever coming to Canada. 685 of 8,524 songs complete! Looks like I'll get 1000 songs every 24 hours at this pace. lol

Doopliss

Not 100% sure about this but I think that because the AOSP Browser is a system app you can't install it like regular apps, you need to copy it into the /system/app folder, which requires root access.

About updating, if the package ID of the installed APK matches that of the app in the Play Store it will show up in the My Apps section. Free apps can then be updated but paid apps will give you an error if you try. Otherwise you can update by just installing a newer APK. The app data will carry over.

Not 100% sure about this but I think that because the AOSP Browser is a system app you can't install it like regular apps, you need to copy it into the /system/app folder, which requires root access.

About updating, if the package ID of the installed APK matches that of the app in the Play Store it will show up in the My Apps section. Free apps can then be updated but paid apps will give you an error if you try. Otherwise you can update by just installing a newer APK. The app data will carry over.

yeah, it's a system app, you have to copy it into system/app/ and change permissions to rw-r--r-- (which does require root access)

i believe you also have to change the name of a file called defaultbrowser.apk or something or other. no need to delete it, just change it to defaultbrowser.apk.bak and restart.

i'm fairly good with a computer...maybe missing some of the details, but i think i'm going to look into compiling ROMs for myself. always wanted to try to make changes that no one else cared about. that might feel good to accomplish. I may start for the Nexus 7 since it is technically the only developer device i have lol. wish me luck, i'm not terribly good at finishing things that i st

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
i actually wonder this myself. are they going to go 5.0 with a new Nexus 7 in the summer? or will they have a new nexus 7 and 10? or will they wait until fall for the full 5.0 upgrade with the Nexus 5? their 2nd 7 and 10 inch tablets are just going to be so beastly, i know it.

hopefully they will get the Nexus 5 on AT&T LTE since they will have further built out their network and they don't have any restrictions with unlocked phones on their network.

Also Anandtech says that the Nex 4 could run LTE on AWS bands with the radios it currently has. does AT&T use AWS 700 bands for LTE?? and isn't T-Mobile slated to? technically the Nexus 4 could gain LTE from a software update...crazy...

my prediction for Next Nexus is this (5 inch, 1080p Nexus 5) beyond that i don't know.

they will probably only put 16gb of space in, not learning from the fact that the nexus 10 32gb sold out while the 16gb is still in stock even now.

This is why I said there's hope for an LTE version, the radio does support 700/AWS LTE, which is what Tmo/ATT use for LTE

KEEP HOPE ALIVE

edit: ok the swype keyboard seems nice.

I'm beginning to think it's a Tegra 3 thing, cos 4.2 on the Galaxy Nexus is even better than 4.1 and definitely an improvement in performance again. It bothers me that my dual core device is out performing my quad core one.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The new Jelly Bean 4.2 AOSP Keyboard has been ripped in it's current form and it's up for free download on the Google Play Store! It requires 4.1 though. :/

Still if you have say an updated GS3 or One X or the like or you are running a phone with a Jelly Bean based ROM you can grab it! :D

2012-11-14-16.17.50-640x360.png

Phandroid Article!

Play Store Link!

tino

Banned

Android 2.0 Oct 2009 Moto Droid
Android 2.1 May 2010 N1
Android 2.2 Dec 2010 NS
Andoird 3.0 Feb 2011 Xoom (tablet)
Android 4.0 Oct 2011 GN
Android 4.1 June 2012 N7 (tablet)
Android 4.2 Nov 2012 N4/N10

I think next version upgrade is next summer and I predict is a 5.0 major upgrade.

I am hoping a new UI that allow multiple apps on the same screen (like Windows RT's snap interface, but better.) And of course, a Nexus 5.

JoeFu

Banned
I don't like the new lock screen on 4.2. The clock is nasty looking and I don't like the redundancy with having the time on the status bar. It looked a lot nicer on 4.1

It should if you have SMB setup in your home network. Get a NAS.

File sharing isn't really an appropriate solution. Some of the files are huge and really don't play nice over wireless. Transcoding works much, much better.

BubbleUPnP seems to work, I just need to find a decent player to go with it.

tino

Banned
File sharing isn't really an appropriate solution. Some of the files are huge and really don't play nice over wireless. Transcoding works much, much better.

720p file play just fine wirelessly on my setup. If you want to involve transcoding than it all depend on the PC software. Any video player on the client should play the video.

JoeFu

Banned
Emoji's don't work on my 4.2 Galaxy Nexus anymore! On 4.1.2 when I typed in "star" it would show a star, now it doesn't work anymore :(

Cipherr

So deserved. No Smartphone/Tablet feature introduced this year even sniffs the rear end of Google Now. Its really a great system, with an incredibly bright future. I nearly peed myself when they said Google has over 100 different Now cards currently in development, waiting to be implemented over time.

Now, along with Google Maps/Navigation, NFC support and a vastly superior notification center design have become killer apps for me. Really don't want to buy any phone that doesn't have these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom