• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahzkrieg

Banned
So I've chosen my poison.
I switched to TMO's value plan.
But it means I have to upgrade myself.

Any good prices on an unlocked GSII?
The phone is pretty old. Should be a similar price to the Nexus 4, right?

zedge

*edit.. meant to post this in the GS3 thread..

Couldn't get the google voice search voice to work so re flashed CM10.

Working great now.. also notice more things here and there.. :/ (ringtones, wallpapers etc)

Must not have flashed properly last time.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Why the funk would you want an unlocked GSII for the same price as the Nexus 4? What bizzaro shizzy are you trying to do?

Mahzkrieg

Banned
Why the funk would you want an unlocked GSII for the same price as the Nexus 4? What bizzaro shizzy are you trying to do?

Can't get the Nexus 4 right now.
Not even sure if I want it with the bad battery, throttling, and lack of expandable memory.

An SII with CM10 seems perfect for my needs if the price is right.

With TMO's value plan I'm not eligible for upgrade pricing.
So I need to buy a new phone out of pocket.

hmmm Nexus 4 then... i know you don't want it but the 16gb one can't be all bad lol... if i was on tmo i would probably just wait and get it. but the sii is a good phone as well.

Mahzkrieg

Banned
So what you're saying is that the GSII unlocked is going to be priced out of any reasonable range. Specs are worse than the Nexus 4 but price is higher, huh?

tino

Banned

You can get the S3 free after rebate this week. Read the fatwallet slickdeals forums. Open a new contract for a couple months and cancel it after you get the rebate. ETF is 200 I think.

VALIS

Just upgraded my old Droid X to a Razr Maxx HD. I liked the battery life most of all, especially coming from the Droid X which had about 45 minutes battery life, roughly. 720p, 4G LTE, 32gb on board with 32gb microSD... not sure why this doesn't seem to be a popular phone. Maybe it's the looks. I like the big, black, chunky ass looking thing.

gcubed

i'm kind of disheartened by some of the reaction here about 4.2. I thought it was just going to keep getting better and not go back to disjointed again

markot

Banned
Well, the only bad thing is the luck screen widgets and mainly cause they are implemented poorly. Outside of that it's great.

yogloo

Just updated my note to jelly bean rom... Oh wow. Hell has frozen over. Touchwiz is actually great. Multiscreen is awesome.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
N4 is $299
GSII unlocked is over $400

The phone with the worse specs costs more
Odd

You can never do a phone price comparison that includes the N4. The N4 is absolutely unprecedented and a game changer. I still can't wrap my head around it.

tino

Banned
N4 is $299
GSII unlocked is over $400

The phone with the worse specs costs more
Odd

The TMobile GS2 is 299. You can unlock it and use it on ATT

Neither GSII nor N4 have ATT LTE.

Same shit same price.

Plus GSII hit 299 sooner than N4 by a few months. Therefore you can buy the phone cheaper than N4 on ebay. Therefore GSII has lower real world price.

Spent my first day with stock 4.2 on my tuna, and the battery life was pretty abysmal.

Is this what life is like outside of custom kernels?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Google subsidized 60% of the N4's price. Ask counties w/o the play store how much it is.

That's the difference

this_guy

About the price you pay on the daily deal sites.

Office Depot is selling the 9" Lenovo a2109 for 200 on Black Friday. So same ball park.

The screen on the Lenovo is horrible. The resolution is ok at 1280x800, but it's a TFT screen with horrible viewing angles. Plus when scrolling you can see flicker.

I'm currently "borrowing" one right now while I wait for my Kindle Fire 8.9". (I recently sold my 3rd generation iPad)

You can never do a phone price comparison that includes the N4. The N4 is absolutely unprecedented and a game changer. I still can't wrap my head around it.

How is the N4 unprecedented and a game changer?? it's just another unlocked phone. that's literally all it is. It's just cheap because Google is subsidizing it(read: willing to lose money in order to show carriers they can sell phones without their help)

Everywhere else you buy it, it's like 5 or 600 like every other new flagship phone off contract...but it doesn't have LTE. I mean, it's a cool phone, but c'mon.

ERMAHGERD!! droid DNA works on AT&T!!

will be bought!!

wait what? this might have changed the whole game up. gotta go find a news story on this quick...

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
How is the N4 unprecedented and a game changer?? it's just another unlocked phone. that's literally all it is. It's just cheap because Google is subsidizing it(read: willing to lose money in order to show carriers they can sell phones without their help)

Everywhere else you buy it, it's like 5 or 600 like every other new flagship phone off contract...but it doesn't have LTE. I mean, it's a cool phone, but c'mon.

When has there ever been an unlocked phone, sold brand new in the US for $300? Let alone absolute top of the line specs. Even the iPhone 4 sold brand new is like $400. Today.

Google subsidizing it is a game changer. If it's successful, it could mean big things for the US phone market. Of course, I don't think it will be successful enough but I hope it's a promising first step.

When has there ever been an unlocked phone, sold brand new in the US for $300? Let alone absolute top of the line specs. Even the iPhone 4 sold brand new is like $400. Today.

Google subsidizing it is a game changer. If it's successful, it could mean big things for the US phone market. Of course, I don't think it will be successful enough but I hope it's a promising first step.

ok i mean i guess i feel you on that...Lord knows i hate how powerful the carriers are here and any efforts to reduce that power work for me. I just figured you were calling the phone a game changer. i mean the price its selling for on the google play store (and only there) is a game changer, but that's it.

ALSO:

Droid DNA works on AT&T but only HSPA+ (of course) not sure why i was getting my hopes up about LTE since Verizon and AT&T use different blocks of the 700Mhz spectrum.

tino

Banned
I browse cheap deal sites, for some reason the N4 is extremely popular on it, much more so than the N7 IMO. I think the 299 new price point has touched some psychological nerve.

I browse cheap deal sites, for some reason the N4 is extremely popular on it, much more so than the N7 IMO. I think the 299 new price point has touched some psychological nerve.

i wonder how much the N4 actually costs vs what Google is selling it for, but also vs what the rest of the world is selling it for.

gcubed

ok i mean i guess i feel you on that...Lord knows i hate how powerful the carriers are here and any efforts to reduce that power work for me. I just figured you were calling the phone a game changer. i mean the price its selling for on the google play store (and only there) is a game changer, but that's it.

ALSO:

Droid DNA works on AT&T but only HSPA+ (of course) not sure why i was getting my hopes up about LTE since Verizon and AT&T use different blocks of the 700Mhz spectrum.

qualcomm was already supposed to have their LTE radios covering all US bands. WTF Qualcomm

Is this the first step until Google becomes and MVNO (or they buy Tmobile/MetroPCS)

qualcomm was already supposed to have their LTE radios covering all US bands. WTF Qualcomm

Is this the first step until Google becomes and MVNO (or they buy Tmobile/MetroPCS)

Both of these things will happen eventually. Google will buy t mobile. And change the name to Google Wireless. Boom. Carriers circumvented. Its official then though. T-Mo will never get the iPhone lol.

ALSO:

Youre right, no LTE on att..no buy then..

Yeah I don't think the nexus 4 is a game changer, I would gladly pay more for an LTE model.
Most people would probably like an expandable storage too, due to the slower speed accessing cloud storage.

Yeah I don't think the nexus 4 is a game changer, I would gladly pay more for an LTE model.
Most people would probably like an expandable storage too, due to the slower speed accessing cloud storage.

Not to mention the save on data costs. Carriers done figured out that they can't charge for voice anymore and are now charging for data

Which is also why most carrier phones in the US are coming with only 16GB. Anybody with abundant storage space might accidentally figure out that they don't need the cloud

gcubed

Both of these things will happen eventually. Google will buy t mobile. And change the name to Google Wireless. Boom. Carriers circumvented. Its official then though. T-Mo will never get the iPhone lol.

i didn't know they were subsidizing it 60%. Have they said as much? or are people assuming off of the Tmobile off contract price (which is a bad assumption)

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
i didn't know they were subsidizing it 60%. Have they said as much? or are people assuming off of the Tmobile off contract price (which is a bad assumption)

it's a rough estimate, since the full euro price is €599, which is about $766.00

however much it is, it's more than 50%

Any Handcent SMS users in here? I started using some privatebox thing but I want my messages in the ordinary "thread". How do I turn this shit off? :p Also can I move the messages that enden upp in private to the normal conversations?

Qualcomm does, but what does that have to do with HTC configuring a Verizon phone to have AT&T LTE bands?

you couldn't get a Nexus 4 if you wanted one anyway. they're backordered 3 weeks.

Cipherr

Just read the nexus s wont be getting 4.2 :(

Yeah sure its a 2 year old phone buts thats kind of bullshit for pretty minor update over 4.1

Ehh, the Nexus S doesnt run 4.1 even as smoothly as I would like. I would say grab those 4.2 ripped APK's for the gmail/keyboard and whatnot and see if they will run on the Nexus S. But its probably time to put that one out to pasture in terms of updates. It has had a good run, but its been 2 years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom