• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
i need to find a couple big items to sell so i can get a Nexus 10 lol. I need a new toy. Last one was in May and it got ruined by the GSIII. Not to mention the wife constantly complaining that i got a new phone in the first place. I was like this when she met me. she needs to deal with it.

the answer to that question is no. Get a GS3 or wait it out. That's what i say.

Besides, honestly would you be happy with a minor upgrade in the same exact shell? I wouldn't. (i'm looking at you apple)

Had a gs3 already. I was swapping sim card back and forth with the one x. I ended using the one x more due to the better screen and the gs3 had some WiFi issues.. Performance was identical with cm10.

After using both for while, I'm with the minority that thinks the one x is better than the gs3.

I was thinking of the lumia 920 but my recent purchase of the pureview 808 was a total failure...didnt want to get another nokia..that crap of a phone belongs in the toilet.

which i think the Nexus S was running pretty sluggishly is what I heard...

Never had a problem with it. It wasn't running as silky smooth as a nexus 7 but it got the job done.

Still its a pretty old phone so its understandable in that way. I guess this and the Nexus one mean that 2 years is the cut off point for nexus phones. Just wished the update cut off was before a major update instead of 4.2 which is just a few small visual tweaks and core app updates.

Maybe this is partly why they called it 4.2 instead of 4.15?

Google, Dish Held Talks to Launch Wireless Service

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324735104578121553147711538.html

How long until Google is everywhere and gets broken into little pieces?

Yessssss... Google will never break up lol. Everything they do is to bolster their search revenue

Wish that they weren't partnering with dish though...I know they own spectrum but Google got money too. Hope its just licensing the spectrum from dish. I suppose I could read the article instead of speculating

3phemeral

Google, Dish Held Talks to Launch Wireless Service

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324735104578121553147711538.html

How long until Google is everywhere and gets broken into little pieces?

I was imagining Google would do what Amazon does with the free 3G for Kindles, but I suppose it wouldn't be too difficult to take that one step further and grow into a full-blown carrier. Then again, it's probably a lot more difficult than I imagine it to be.

Talon

I was imagining Google would do what Amazon does with the free 3G for Kindles, but I suppose it wouldn't be too difficult to take that one step further and grow into a full-blown carrier. Then again, it's probably a lot more difficult than I imagine it to be.
It's telling that both Apple and Google wanted to work outside of the carriers and then decided it was too damn risky and expensive to do it.

It's telling that both Apple and Google wanted to work outside of the carriers and then decided it was too damn risky and expensive to do it.

The sheer amount of capital investment needed to even cover a fraction of the country with cell network coverage is essentially such a large barrier of entry that it results in natural monopolies. The only reason that AT&T and Verizon got to where they are today is because both are the products of many smaller carriers merging together. Attempting to build a nationwide carrier from scratch is just about economically impossible.

Just you wait until it's Milton-Bradley's birthday. The entire Google frontpage will become a Monopoly then.

well played sir

Hope this cell service pans out though... it jives with Google's desires to be carrier-free.

They will truly be carrier free when they are their own carrier.

panda21

anyone know if you can just flash the 4.2 gapps on 4.1.2 without needing special modded versions?

i read something on xda that seemed to suggest you could, but i don't know if they meant some special version of the gapps or just the stock one.

r1chard

not yet, although people on XDA are claiming they got their OTA
I ("yakju" with the "samsung" flavour) tried to apply the update from Google (link obtained via XDA) but it said it wasn't valid (assertion during install pre-flight check.) So now I wait to see whether I ever get the OTA...

aznpxdd

So I just bought an el cheapo tablet from China. Its running stock ICS, and comes factory rooted. Can I simply load stock Jelly Bean or 4.2 (say from Nexus 7) onto it?

jokkir

So I just bought an el cheapo tablet from China. Its running stock ICS, and comes factory rooted. Can I simply load stock Jelly Bean or 4.2 (say from Nexus 7) onto it?

No, you need the ROM developed for that device. Simply flashing over any ROM won't work

Ok now I'm getting reboots on the Gnex.

4.2 is killing my devices slowly... yesterday the N7 went haywire (display not working, wont charge) and today it works again.

No google I don't want to buy a N4/N10 yet.

SimleuqiR

I still think T-Mobile is a better place to spend your money

That would be epic and destructive all at the same time.

Then again I read that Verizon is pre loading the amazon store with some new phones? Are Google services enough to keep the two big carries at bay, and not replace the play store entirely?

dave_m123

Guys,

Is there an alternative player to Google Music? I used to use Meridian which I loved with the gestures, but using Google Music app now seems limited in the controls which I find annoying. Meridian seems unable to scan the folder containing the music that Google Music has stored.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
big.jpg

This year is coming to an end, which means one thing - next year's CES and MWC are near! This also means the "Company X will launch Y" rumors are heating up, including the rumor of a 1080p Super AMOLED display from Samsung.
We've heard the rumor already but the new chatter adds more details to the story - a 4.99" Super AMOLED display with 1080p resolution and 441ppi pixel density.
The first phones to use a 5" 1080p display are already available in some markets, but they rely on LCDs. The new display from Samsung is, of course, rumored to be used in the Galaxy S IV. What the gossip doesn't say is whether the display will use a PenTile or an RGB matrix. At this pixel density it might not make much difference but we'll see.
Anyway, the 5" 1080p Super AMOLEDs will supposedly go into production in Q1 of next year. This would be just in time for a Q2 launch (all three Galaxy S flagships launched in Q2).
Whether this rumor pans out or not, 2013 will be the year of 5" 1080p screens. HTC already started and so did Sharp, Sony (through Japan Display Inc) and LG are also reportedly working on smartphones with such units.

tee hee

gcubed

That would be epic and destructive all at the same time.

Then again I read that Verizon is pre loading the amazon store with some new phones? Are Google services enough to keep the two big carries at bay, and not replace the play store entirely?

Amazon app store isn't very successful, Verizon just shut down their store because it was a failure. I think its a big enough juggernaut that it can't really be ignored. Play is still a bit behind Amazon media offerings, but with the latest Warner deals they basically have all the big guys in music.

It would be both awesome and interesting to watch how things shake out. I could easily see Verizon throwing the biggest hissy fit... mostly because Verizon is the only one that COULD throw the hissy fit... ATT is just a dumb pipe with Google subsidizing phones now. i just don't see how there is any money at all in building a new carrier in the US. I think its cheaper in the long run to just buy an established company. You have a decent network with Tmobile/MetroPCS, with a good amount of spectrum (for a 4th place carrier). Offer a $299 off contract phone that works on your network, the big guys will not be happy.

Also... Google Match is working in the UK

Apple, what have you done!?

Guys,

Is there an alternative player to Google Music? I used to use Meridian which I loved with the gestures, but using Google Music app now seems limited in the controls which I find annoying. Meridian seems unable to scan the folder containing the music that Google Music has stored.

alternatives that will stream from your Google Music Cloud? none.

tino

Banned
lol at this PPI lust. I can't wait until 5 inch 4K phones in a year.

I started a thread in another forum with the title "I think the smartphone hardware will reach its limit soon". Most people disagred with me and none could give me compelling example of new hardware to stuff in the phone.

Talon

I started a thread in another forum with the title "I think the smartphone hardware will reach its limit soon". Most people disagred with me and none could give me compelling example of new hardware to stuff in the phone.
Completely agree.

Innovation for smartphones is going to be driven by software from here on.

I think the camera is a big opportunity for most smartphone manufacturers. I hope we will get to see more phones with cameras that are as good, or even better, than the Pureview 808. And although I don't know how feasible this is, but maybe phones with interchangeable lens. The phones could still keep their small form factor, but will have the ability to change to a wide assortment of lens. Similar to the Nikon J1, but even smaller.

Doopliss

Also... Google Match is working in the UK
Still not working for me. I think the guy from the Verge is talking bollocks as well. He says his scan & matched Dark Knight Rises soundtrack album was 256kbps when he downloaded it, but that album is marked as 320 kbps on Play Music.

dave_m123

I'd like them to concentrate on making hardware use less power so that battery life is improved. Surely hardware soon will be good enough. I'm guessing though that Phones and Tablets will soon replace other electronics i.e. set top boxes and consoles, low spec PC's etc..

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Still not working for me. I think the guy from the Verge is talking bollocks as well. He says his scan & matched Dark Knight Rises soundtrack album was 256kbps when he downloaded it, but that album is marked as 320 kbps on Play Music.

Definitely working for me. I can see files 'uploading' instantly from some albums, but dragging on for more obscure or unpopular tracks (why do I have to slowly upload my limited collection of Christan Folk Rock music? :D)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom